PDA

View Full Version : heel spur / plantar faciaitis

orca1946
March 18th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Every year about this time when I ramp up swim & gym workouts it's something else ! This year it's heel pain ! Got a cortisone shot today to try to pull down me limping ! I can't run anymore from 2 hip replacements to the right hip. I spend 30 - 45 min on the cross trainer eliptical at the gym & this is what I get !

aztimm
March 18th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Sounds very odd that heel spurs would flare up when you're not running. Are you doing anything else with a high impact to the foot?

I've had heel spurs since I was in the Army...around 1990. I go through phases where I hardly even notice them to can't even stand on my feet. But generally they're something I can manage (and the VA assists me with them), and I was even able to run a marathon with them. Cool damp weather seems to set them off for me, which is something I usually don't see much of here in the Phoenix area.

Bobinator
March 18th, 2010, 10:36 PM
I heard Grasston therapy is good for plantar fascitis/heel spurs. :applaud:

orca1946
March 19th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Thur , I got a cotisone shot in my heel !!!! WOW did that hurt ! He says it's from not stretching enough ?

FindingMyInnerFish
March 20th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I had PF a good part of last year (and have had bad cases in the past)--thought it would never go away. But a great PT guy helped.

A few things he recommended:

1. (Kind of surprising but made sense when he explained it) Work on core strength. He felt that often people land too hard on their feet when the core muscles aren't strong. I found that yoga helped a lot.
2. My orthotics had worn down and I replaced them with Spenco soft arch supports. They work a lot better!
3. The usual stretch/ice routine after I've been on my feet a while (even when not running)
4. Friction massage (hurts like crazy but works)

I also have a night splint which I use if I notice even the slightest heel pain.

orca1946
March 21st, 2010, 12:56 PM
I do 200 - 500 crunches
ice when pain is starting
Maybe I need arch supports ?

aztimm
March 22nd, 2010, 01:12 AM
I do 200 - 500 crunches
ice when pain is starting
Maybe I need arch supports ?

Crunches are a good part of core work, but by far not enough. Yea, you can get a 6-pack abs from them, but you need to do other stuff like planks, leg raises, etc. I never knew that core work helped with heel spurs, but maybe that's one reason why mine haven't acted up lately.

I second the recommendation on the night splint. I have a really nice strap-on splint that I'll wear when I'm sitting watching tv. It is a bit large for sleeping though.

Slowswim
March 22nd, 2010, 03:19 PM
I had this problem a little while ago (last summer). I fixed it (without taking much time off running) by freezing a water bottle and rolling it under my heel and arch every night. I also incorporated dynamic heel raises. It's best barefoot. Stand where you can drop your heels down (like off a curb) and balance yourdself, then at a moderate tempo raise up on the balls of your feet and hold for 2-3 seconds then at a moderate pace drop down as far as you can go. Slight bouncing is fine. Hold for 3-5 seconds; repeat 10 times.

The way my Doc eplained it was: the issue is that mechanically, the achilles does terminate at the heel and the plantar does originate there. Its one system that connects the calf to the arch of the foot so stretching and strengthening it all together should help get you back o your feet and keep it from happening again.

Good luck.