PDA

View Full Version : info from English forum: suim suits

analazy
March 21st, 2010, 01:26 PM
http://www.swimclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13665&page=12
Guys

We are getting closer to a definitive ruling on the situation with suits, at the time of this post the situation in Britain is and I am trying to keep this as simple as possible

That for all competitions in this country and Wales and Scotland and for British record purposes.

Provided that the suit is firstly textile and secondly conforms to the "profile" set out in the regulations, i.e Jammers for men and kneeskins for women then the suit will be legal. These rules allow zips (please note Lazy good letter tho....)

Now for European and World Records the suit still needs to be FINA Approved so if you are in the top .05% which this is likely to effect then beware.

However I have some heartening news on this front as well.

Worringly the World Championship's organising committee have been sending out emails saying that competitors who wear a suit that is not on the FINA approved list will be disqualified. Bearing in mind that we are a participation event and not elite swimmers and that currently you are unable to buy an approved suit in certain sizes I wrote to David Sparkes and asked him to take it up with FINA.

He has and his response was

"I raised the issue of swimsuits with FINA as promised this week and got the following verbal view. FINA like me think requiring the Masters to comply with swimsuit rules was not helpful. The rules would suggest that all swimsuits should be FINA approved but FINA feel provided they conform to the textile rule and shape rule they will be OK and will try to clarify this."

I know that we are not the only federation to voice concerns and the Organisers themselves ere trying to clarify this. So this looks encouraging and as soon as there is a definitive answer then I'll let you know.

V

Allen Stark
March 21st, 2010, 08:39 PM
I think trying to figure FINAs intent is problematic,but I think there will be some problems and complaints if zippers are allowed at Worlds without a rule change.

LindsayNB
March 21st, 2010, 10:39 PM
I think you can safely count on it that FINA is ok with suits that meet the rules but haven't been formally approved, that they would be ok with suits that violate the rules by having fasteners is extremely unlikely.