PDA

View Full Version : Breaststroke with replaced knees

tmaggy
March 23rd, 2010, 08:03 PM
I started swimming again about a year ago (after a 45 year layoff). For the past 6-8 months I have been doing 12-15000+ yards a week, almost all breaststroke, lots of repeats. My knees were replaced about 8 years ago and they are very good but I cannot get much drive with them. My 50 yard time is horrible for the amount of work I am doing. I believe it is because I cannot get a lot of lift when I bend them backwards (less than 90 degrees). Has anyone got any suggestions?
Tom

nkfrench
March 24th, 2010, 10:02 AM
I am not a fast swimmer but I can speak to knee "issues".

Limited ROM in the knees does slow down breaststroke kick. One of my knees is held together with a fake ligament and scar tissue, and I limit my breaststroke kicking to a minimum due to pain/swelling. I usually do breaststroke in practice with fins and a single modified dolphin kick. It is great to work on the stroke rhythm and body positioning/flow.

Paddles help me improve the upper body part of my breaststroke.

I think weightlifting building up to heavy weights to work all the lower body muscles would help you. If you have some exercises from rehab/physical therapy those would help working the littler knee stabilizing muscles. And stretching to help with your range of motion. Bicycling can be great cross-training and is knee-friendly.

Gdavis
March 24th, 2010, 01:52 PM
My main problem is hips (one replaced 3 years ago next one will be soon) and my breaststroke is also a problem. I have found it quite helpful to do PT exercises in the pool. About a year ago I started to do two simple exercises standing waist deep in the pool (or better yet the hot tub). One is to stand on one leg and to do the breaststroke kick with the other - focusing on trying to feel the water and keep leg motion in alignment with the body simulating swimming. The other is simply to work adductors, abductors against water resistance. (The latter is more hip strength oriented). I don't know how much this helped but my breaststroke has certainly improved. You might find a variation on this helps you.

tmaggy
March 25th, 2010, 06:30 PM
My problem is not how much breaststroke I do. I do 10-15000 yds a week but I just can't get much speed as I can't bring my feet up and back near my butt. My 50 time is in the 45 second range And I am 67. I am trying to make my kick wider to compensate. Don't know if that will make a differance or not. Anyone have any other ideas.