PDA

View Full Version : Breaststroke with replaced knees

tmaggy
March 23rd, 2010, 08:04 PM
I started swimming again about a year ago (after a 45 year layoff). For the past 6-8 months I have been doing 12-15000+ yards a week, almost all breaststroke, lots of repeats. My knees were replaced about 8 years ago and they are very good but I cannot get much drive with them. My 50 yard time is horrible for the amount of work I am doing. I believe it is because I cannot get a lot of lift when I bend them backwards (less than 90 degrees). Has anyone got any suggestions?
Tom

Allen Stark
March 23rd, 2010, 08:28 PM
I am not sure what you mean by can't bend past 90 degrees.Do you mean you can't flex the knee joint more than that or you can't externally rotate your ankles.Without knowing I can't comment.I definitely think you are starting off with too much breaststroke.I'd ease into it more,no more than 200 BR at a time at first with the rest other strokes.If your shoulders are an issue do BR pull with dolphin kick with fins.

tmaggy
March 23rd, 2010, 09:06 PM
The amount of breaststroke does not seem to bother my knees. I just can't bring my feet up near my butt so I don't seem to get much drive. I think I have some rotation in my ankles, maybe 40-60 degrees.