PDA

View Full Version : 100 Yard Swim with No Rules: Creative Freestyle

stevenwjoe
March 24th, 2010, 02:15 AM
I have a unique race coming up in three weeks as part of the local quad events. It is a 100 yard swim and the rules are simple, just finish it with any combination of strokes, walking, etc. There are no disqualifications for strokes, just no tech suits. Last years winner swam it in 46 seconds and there were three under 48 seconds, so it is very competitive at least at the top end and of course the best times are all done in freestyle. This is my first year and I am use to just swimming straight freestyle within the rules, so I am wondering if there is an advantage to say doing an underwater breaststroke pull out off the dive and the turns before going into freestyle or if anybody has any other creative input as to what rules to break to swim it a little faster that could be tested in practice first. I swim the 100 just above 1:00, so you have some idea where I am at for an old guy. Maybe someone has swam in a similar race and can give some insight.

etrain
March 24th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Fins, paddles and a snorkel!

Lube yourself up with oil... just not the hands, fore-arms and tops of feet!

Butterfly kick the whole thing underwater!

etrain

aquageek
March 24th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Can you do a running start? Are fins allowed? Free is already the fastest stroke so adding in bits from other strokes won't speed it up any

Lump
March 24th, 2010, 10:16 AM
One word: FINS

Leonard Jansen
March 24th, 2010, 10:28 AM
How about a monofin?

-LBJ

stevenwjoe
March 24th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Are you kidding, no race is going to allow fins or paddles. If that was the case I would just bring a kayak. LOL. Yeah, I guess in the end straight free is the fastest way through it, but I have always wondered if an underwater breast stroke off the dive would make a difference. I guess Phelps would just dolphin kick the whole thing. Thanks for the comments.

stillwater
March 24th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Can you push off the bottom?

Can a teamate help you by giving a pull or push?

Can you pull on the lane lines?

Can you wear a dorkel?

Can you duct tape your arms and legs for compression?

I'll keep pondering.

The Fortress
March 24th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Are you kidding, no race is going to allow fins or paddles.

Why not?

A mixed up 100 IM was just offered at the B70 World Champs in Texas.

My fastest 100 would be with a monofin, all underwater except for the flip turns.

orca1946
March 25th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I like the running start !

notsofast
March 26th, 2010, 06:00 AM
I like the running start !
But not in a monofin!

__steve__
March 26th, 2010, 08:53 AM
If your doing the running start the time would be ticking while your running though.

aquageek
March 26th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Why not?

A mixed up 100 IM was just offered at the B70 World Champs in Texas.

My fastest 100 would be with a monofin, all underwater except for the flip turns.

I wonder how fast we could all go with a 100 monofin? What's your guess? I wonder if a 100 SCY would be faster or slower than a 100 LCM since the turns will slow you down.

Mark Savage
March 26th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I used a monofin a couple of years ago and I was amazed by the speed. If you have a strong underwater kick to begin with, you have to be careful when swimming in a 25 yrd pool because the walls come up so quickly. I never tried it long course, but I definitely think it would be better because you would have enough space to achieve max speed, plus enough time to slow down for the walls.

Side note- if it's your first time, take it easy. I actually threw my back out while playing around in the deep end and trying to shoot out of the water like Shamu at Sea World.

stevenwjoe
March 30th, 2010, 01:18 AM
I don't know if you could push off the bottom, that would be great to jump through the air like a dolphin a few times. That would be fun if you weren't going for time.

smontanaro
March 30th, 2010, 07:21 AM
... that would be great to jump through the air like a dolphin a few times.

Speaking of which, was anyone else impressed with the jumping ability of the great white sharks on 60 Minutes Sunday? Who else thought Anderson Cooper was nuts to get in the water with them? Yowzers!

Skip