PDA

View Full Version : At SCY Nationals, is sixth event usually allowed?

elise526
March 25th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Is the sixth event usually allowed for SC Nationals or is it usually dropped?

I entered SCY Nationals in 2008 and recall that the sixth event was allowed. When I entered LC Nationals this past summer, I noticed that the sixth event was dropped.

The reason I am wondering is that I have registered for Nationals and now regret having chosen one of my events as the sixth event. I would like to change which event I would like designated as the sixth event, but wonder if I can do so after already registering. If the sixth event is routinely allowed at SC Nats, I just won't worry about it.

qbrain
March 25th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Is the sixth event usually allowed for SC Nationals or is it usually dropped?

I entered SCY Nationals in 2008 and recall that the sixth event was allowed. When I entered LC Nationals this past summer, I noticed that the sixth event was dropped.

The reason I am wondering is that I have registered for Nationals and now regret having chosen one of my events as the sixth event. I would like to change which event I would like designated as the sixth event, but wonder if I can do so after already registering. If the sixth event is routinely allowed at SC Nats, I just won't worry about it.

Since I have been paying attention, the sixth event as been dropped more often than not.

matysekj
March 25th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Since I have been paying attention, the sixth event as been dropped more often than not.

Well, then you're not paying very close attention :blush:. The sixth event has not been dropped for any of the last 10 SCY national championships from 2000-2009. I didn't check further back than that, because I don't have that information from back then. The largest of the 10 most recent SCY meets had 1922 swimmers (ASU, 2003). Since the GA Tech pool has 10 lanes, it has a better chance of accommodating a large entry pool. You never know, though - it is all dependent on the distribution of events by the swimmers who have entered.

Elise, if you want to change your 6th event designation, just send me the details via PM and I'll make it happen. Be sure to send this before the entries close on April 15. Once the sixth event ruling is made, you can't change your sixth event designation. Even if you're betting that the sixth event won't be dropped, it's a good idea to set your sixth event designation appropriately.

elise526
March 25th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Well, then you're not paying very close attention :blush:. The sixth event has not been dropped for any of the last 10 SCY national championships from 2000-2009. I didn't check further back than that, because I don't have that information from back then. The largest of the 10 most recent SCY meets had 1922 swimmers (ASU, 2003). Since the GA Tech pool has 10 lanes, it has a better chance of accommodating a large entry pool. You never know, though - it is all dependent on the distribution of events by the swimmers who have entered.

Elise, if you want to change your 6th event designation, just send me the details via PM and I'll make it happen. Be sure to send this before the entries close on April 15. Once the sixth event ruling is made, you can't change your sixth event designation. Even if you're betting that the sixth event won't be dropped, it's a good idea to set your sixth event designation appropriately.

Thanks, Jim! I will do so.

qbrain
March 26th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Well, then you're not paying very close attention :blush:.

You are right, because I thought Clovis cut the 6th event. Elise should know better than to listen to me by now :D

Chris Stevenson
March 26th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I think cutting the 6th event is more likely in LCM nationals, because there is only one competition course.

Allen Stark
March 27th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I expect this meet to be huge,but if they are running 10 lanesX2 I guess they probably won't cut the 6th event.

qbrain
March 27th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I expect this meet to be huge,but if they are running 10 lanesX2 I guess they probably won't cut the 6th event.

Are they running both ends of the pool? That will make for horrible warmup space. 20 racing lanes and 4ish 25M warm up lanes.

pwb
March 27th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Are they running both ends of the pool? That will make for horrible warmup space. 20 racing lanes and 4ish 25M warm up lanes.Q, if you entered more events, you would only need to worry about cooling down in between events. It's only those folks sitting around for long periods in between their events that need to re-warmup. (insert a snarky smiley guy)

orca1946
March 27th, 2010, 12:58 PM
All those lanes should allow for a well run meet.

qbrain
March 27th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Q, if you entered more events, you would only need to worry about cooling down in between events. It's only those folks sitting around for long periods in between their events that need to re-warmup. (insert a snarky smiley guy)

Good point. Let me email Jim and see if he can add me to the 400IM and the 200IM as a warm up for my freestyle events. WHY didn't I think of that earlier.

pwb
March 27th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Good point. Let me email Jim and see if he can add me to the 400IM and the 200IM as a warm up for my freestyle events. WHY didn't I think of that earlier.Now you're thinking straight!:D

Seriously, I hope there are more than 4 lanes for cool-down. Austin was crowded with the diving well, but there were 8 to 10 lanes then. 4 would/will be a bit painful.

Lump
March 27th, 2010, 06:13 PM
You should have the diving well for warm-up and warm down as well.