View Full Version : Swim Faster Faster Quotes

ande
March 29th, 2010, 07:17 PM
please share your favorite
quotes, songs, poems and videos to inspire folks to
Swim Faster Faster

please include links to videos and credit the writers

"Life is always moving.
Stand up and rise above the rest with passion in your arms and fire in your heart.
Dare to dream, dream high, dream ahead."
-Rohit Sapra

SwimStud
March 29th, 2010, 07:24 PM
"If I am passing you while kicking with a board...you're seriously not trying! KICK!"
Swimstud '10

Lump
March 29th, 2010, 07:28 PM
"Do or do not, there is no try"
-Yoda

BTW, I hear Yoda has a hell of a Breaststroke! :D

ande
March 29th, 2010, 07:33 PM
YouTube- "Do or Do not. There is no try." Yoda teaches Luke Skywalker the force

"Do or do not, there is no try"
-Yoda

BTW, I hear Yoda has a hell of a Breaststroke! :D

SwimStud
March 29th, 2010, 07:36 PM
YouTube- "Do or Do not. There is no try." Yoda teaches Luke Skywalker the force (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3hn6fFTxeo)

Holy Crap! Rob Butcher is Yoda (on stilts)!

I saw him in the warm up pool and he told me what time I would swim in the 100 BR and I did. He used the old Jedi Mind Trick...

ande
March 29th, 2010, 07:40 PM
ALL FIRED UP
"I believe there comes a time
when everything just falls in line
we live and learn from our mistakes
the deepest cuts are healed by faith"
Pat Benatar - All Fired Up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsnYrH3BUP8

ande
March 29th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Eminem - Lose Yourself

YouTube- Eminem - Lose Yourself MUSIC VIDEO

"Lose Yourself"

Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted-One moment
Would you capture it or just let it slip?

His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy
There's vomit on his sweater already, mom's spaghetti
He's nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready
To drop bombs, but he keeps on forgettin
What he wrote down, the whole crowd goes so loud
He opens his mouth, but the words won't come out
He's choking, how everybody's joking now
The clock's run out, time's up over, bloah!
Snap back to reality, Oh there goes gravity
Oh, there goes Rabbit, he choked
He's so mad, but he won't give up that
Easy, no
He won't have it , he knows his whole back's to these ropes
It don't matter, he's dope
He knows that, but he's broke
He's so stagnant that he knows
When he goes back to his mobile home, that's when it's
Back to the lab again yo
This this whole rhapsody
He better go capture this moment and hope it don't pass him

[Hook:]
You better lose yourself in the music, the moment
You own it, you better never let it go
You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime yo

Lump
March 29th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Eminem - Lose Yourself

YouTube- Eminem - Lose Yourself MUSIC VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFYQQPAOz7Y)

"Lose Yourself"

Easy, no
Back to the lab again yo
This this whole rhapsody

Good "Ready Room" music.....if we had a ready room!:)

Lump
March 29th, 2010, 07:53 PM
YouTube- "Do or Do not. There is no try." Yoda teaches Luke Skywalker the force (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3hn6fFTxeo)

LOL! There is a story behind me using that quote. I had a coach (no names here) that had that Yoda attitude (and height! :D ). When he gave us 20x500 or 30x100 on :60 and we'd go "we'll try".....it was pretty much just like that scene! :argue::agree:

Couroboros
March 29th, 2010, 08:41 PM
I am probably the biggest Star Wars fan on these forums. However, I will let you all kindly know that Yoda is an ornery, dogmatic little goblin. Even in the Original Trilogy, he's that way!

exhibit A:

"Too old to begin the training!"

Yoda to a one Anakin Skywalker.

exhibit B:

Yoda to a one Luke Skywalker.

Yoda passed this judgment on the two greatest Jedi that ever lived, because he felt he had to adhere to the Jedi code that it was useless to try and teach the Force to children beyond, ah, a certain age.

Personally, I'm all about Master Qui-Gon Jinn and this nifty little quote of his: "Your focus determines your reality."

SwimStud
March 29th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I am probably the biggest Star Wars fan on these forums. However, I will let you all kindly know that Yoda is an ornery, dogmatic little goblin. Even in the Original Trilogy, he's that way!

exhibit A:

Yoda to a one Anakin Skywalker.

exhibit B:

Yoda to a one Luke Skywalker.

Yoda passed this judgment on the two greatest Jedi that ever lived, because he felt he had to adhere to the Jedi code that it was useless to try and teach the Force to children beyond, ah, a certain age.

Personally, I'm all about Master Qui-Gon Jinn and this nifty little quote of his: "Your focus determines your reality."

Well Yoda didn't like the conflict he saw in Anakin and look how that turned out...no wonder when Anakin's son popped up all full of impatience and gung-ho he went wobbly on it...after all he knew... "There is another..."

jseteroff
March 29th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Eminem - Lose Yourself

"Lose Yourself"

Easy, no
Back to the lab again yo
This this whole rhapsody

This has got to be the best motovational song I've ever heard, before every big event, be it swimming or not, it puts me in the right mood to compete.

gocyclic249
March 30th, 2010, 08:58 AM
I have always liked Be The Change by MC Yogi or Dance Floor Metaphor By the Cruxshadows especially for the last 100m

That Guy
March 30th, 2010, 10:04 AM
YouTube- men's 4x100 freestyle relay 2008 olympics (Full Race)

__steve__
March 30th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Probably just me but with due respect, I find eminem's song very unmoving.

shahboz
March 30th, 2010, 01:30 PM
I have always liked Be The Change by MC Yogi or Dance Floor Metaphor By the Cruxshadows especially for the last 100m

Holy crap a Cruxshadows reference! Ill tell Rogue next time I talk to him...

BTW I like listening to the "The Citadel" as pre-race music...

"We shall save this victory
Without surrender or defeat"

knelson
March 30th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I find eminem's song very unmoving.

You're just not willing to lose yourself, are you?

I'm not a huge fan of Mr. Mathers, but have to admit that song is pretty inspirational.

ande
March 30th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Hey Steve,

What moves you?
What gets your heart pumping?
What makes you feel unstoppable?
What helps you feel ready to race?

Please share,

Ande

Probably just me but with due respect, I find eminem's song very unmoving.

__steve__
March 30th, 2010, 04:20 PM
"Whatever we do and measure improves"
and
"We become what we do"

Haven't tried listening to music while I swim yet, might give it a try sometime.

ande
March 30th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Great ones!

I guess there's different quotes & media to motivate us in different ways.

Some help us make the most of the moment.
Some help us stay focused.
Some help us over come adversity.

It all depends on the situation.

Like a college team who was badly losing a home game at half time.

The team sat in the locker room dejected expecting some sort of pep talk from the coach.

The coach poked his head through the door & said:

"Excuse Me, I thought this was the Notre Dame Locker Room"
(I can't remember what team it was or who the coach was.)

He closed the door & chained it shut.

The team had to break it down to get out and play the 2nd half.

They did and they won!

Please share inspiring tid bits here. Somethin that that moved you. Share your situations when you used it too.

Ande

"Whatever we do and measure improves"
and
"We become what we do"

Haven't tried listening to music while I swim yet, might give it a try sometime.

ElaineK
March 30th, 2010, 06:21 PM
My husband used to call me "Surf Dog" when we lived in San Diego and I surfed in my kayak. Now that I'm back to swimming and have joined Masters, he calls me "Aqua Dog". While I'm getting ready to head to the pool, all he has to do is hum the first six notes of "Aqualung", by Jethro Tull, and it fires me up! Although I don't care for the lyrics of the song AT ALL, the music is awesome, as is Ian Anderson. I just think of those first six notes and I'm ready to go! :bliss:

rtodd
March 30th, 2010, 07:40 PM
YouTube- Sydney 2000 Olympic Games 4x100 Freestyle Relay Highlight

hawk43
March 30th, 2010, 08:05 PM
I like this one: "Pain is weakness leaving the body".

This morning there was a lot of weak stuff dissipating from this old body when I was swimming a 5x100 Fly all out sprint set on 5:00 interval.

--------------------------

The more pain a Marine endures, the stronger he becomes.

If a Marine feels pain after working out, it means he had a good workout and physical weakness is leaving his body.

YouTube- Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body

That Guy
March 30th, 2010, 08:10 PM
BOOOOOOOOO!!!!

YouTube- 1984 Olympic men's 4x200m freestyle relay

Lump
March 30th, 2010, 09:37 PM
YouTube- men's 4x100 freestyle relay 2008 olympics (Full Race) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVZrne7X5ww)

I like this commentary! :D

debaru
March 31st, 2010, 01:12 AM
When I wear my SwiMP3, this song always gets me moving in the pool:

The Current (featuring Gavin Rossdale) by the Blue Man Group.

YouTube- Blue Man Group - The Current (New Album Version feat. Gavin Rossdale) video - aud :groovy:

Leonard Jansen
March 31st, 2010, 08:49 AM
Several from memory that I had in my old racewalking training log:

"What ever you would dream to do, begin it. Beginnings have power and magic."
-Nietzsche

"If I told you what it takes to reach the highest heights, you'd laugh and tell me 'Nothing's that simple.' And yet so many times before, when Messiahs pointed to the door, no one had the guts to leave the temple."
- The Who, "Tommy"

"If you had just a minute to breathe, and they granted you one final wish, would you ask for something like another chance?"
- Traffic, "The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys"

"It don't-a matter what-a you did in-a training. You get in-a that race and-a you go like Hell." - Italian racewalking coach Frank Alongi

-LBJ

ande
March 31st, 2010, 12:57 PM
Dear "Surf Dog" aka "Swim Dog"

for some reason I want to nick name you "Eliane-iac" cause I like you curiousity and passion for swimming

wanted to let you know there is a member on this forum who goes by the name "aqualung." We were having a discussion in
Help My Flutter Kick is Horrible
thought you might enjoy my response to his question

Ande

My husband used to call me "Surf Dog" when we lived in San Diego and I surfed in my kayak. Now that I'm back to swimming and have joined Masters, he calls me "Aqua Dog". While I'm getting ready to head to the pool, all he has to do is hum the first six notes of "Aqualung", by Jethro Tull, and it fires me up! Although I don't care for the lyrics of the song AT ALL, the music is awesome, as is Ian Anderson. I just think of those first six notes and I'm ready to go! :bliss:

orca1946
March 31st, 2010, 02:02 PM
Don't float thru life , make waves !

debaru
March 31st, 2010, 02:05 PM
...there is a member on this forum who goes by the name "aqualung." We were having a discussion in
thought you might enjoy my response to his question (http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=130315&postcount=232)

Ande

Ande, thanks to you, I have a new found appreciation for that song. I've always loved it, but now whenever I hear it, I will think about kicking harder so I can swim faster!

ElaineK
March 31st, 2010, 04:58 PM
Dear "Surf Dog" aka "Swim Dog"

for some reason I want to nick name you "Eliane-iac" cause I like you curiousity and passion for swimming

wanted to let you know there is a member on this forum who goes by the name "aqualung." We were having a discussion in
thought you might enjoy my response to his question (http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=130315&postcount=232)

Ande

Ande, you ROCK!:cool: By the way, I checked out your music website and listened to a few clips the other day. So, you are a musician, a swimmer, and can write. WHAT ELSE DO YOU DO??? :applaud:

I showed your flutter kick response to my husband (a former rock drummer who loves Jethro Tull) and he busted up. CLEVER! I hope "Aqualung" appreciated it as much as I did!

I'll continue going by "Aqua Dog" around the house, but your are more than welcome to call me "Elaine-iac". It fits! And, I take it as a compliment. :)

By the way, I have a quote to ad: "Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations." I found that little gem in a movie review of "The Little Princess" (a movie I never saw), by Karla Peterson, of the San Diego Union-Tribune. She was reviewing the lead character and that sentence just hit me. I liked it so much, I wrote her a letter letting her know how much I appreciated it.

ande
March 31st, 2010, 08:57 PM
Hey Aqua Fox,

thank you for your kind comments, I hope one day Swim Faster Faster will be a book.

I'm not a musician, just a songwriter. Here's a song I cowrote that's not on songramp.com/ande, hope it moves you.

Dreamer and Her Dream (http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/srplayer.php?type=hipub&trackid=77690)

what else can I do?

juggle with my hands turned down,
blow bubble rings from the bottom of the diving well that stay together all the way to the surface,
blow out a candle by squeezing my hand above it,
360's on a skateboard (even after not being on a skateboard for years)
suck in my stomach then push out the middle like this (http://www.funnyhub.com/content_images/5645_2823_stomach-suck-in.jpg)

Ande, you ROCK!:cool: By the way, I checked out your music website and listened to a few clips the other day. So, you are a musician, a swimmer, and can write. WHAT ELSE DO YOU DO??? :applaud:

I showed your flutter kick response to my husband (a former rock drummer who loves Jethro Tull) and he busted up. CLEVER! I hope "Aqualung" appreciated it as much as I did!

I'll continue going by "Aqua Dog" around the house, but your are more than welcome to call me "Elaine-iac". It fits! And, I take it as a compliment. :)

By the way, I have a quote to ad: "Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations." I found that little gem in a movie review of "The Little Princess" (a movie I never saw), by Karla Peterson, of the San Diego Union-Tribune. She was reviewing the lead character and that sentence just hit me. I liked it so much, I wrote her a letter letting her know how much I appreciated it.

ande
March 31st, 2010, 10:20 PM
Eye of the Tiger – Survivor

Chariots of Fire – Vangelis

We Are the Champions – Queen

We Will Rock You – Queen

I Feel Good – James Brown

Walking On Sunshine – Katrina and the Waves

Live Like You Were Dying – Tim McGraw

I Believe I Can Fly – R. Kelly

Bad Day – Daniel Powter

Man In The Mirror – Michael Jackson

Couroboros
March 31st, 2010, 11:15 PM
There were concerns that Neo from the Matrix trilogy was too old to survive the transition from being a slave of the Matrix and going into the real world. Apparently, the older you are, the more dangerous the transition becomes. Neo was almost too old.

So, in addition to Luke and Anakin Skywalker, this continues the theme of chosen ones always being latebloomers.

*self-satisfied smirk*

p.s.- Harry Potter was a pureblood wizard but he didn't even know he was a freakin' wizard until he eleven years old. In comparison, his best friend Ron Weasley, like most of the rest of the wizarding world, had always known he was a wizard (or witch). So to find out you're a wizard at eleven is kind of late. Stupid Dursleys.

edit: I know these aren't quotes, but they're still inspiring. To me, at least. They should be inspiring to other latebloomers as well. If lifelong, seasoned swimmers ever tell you can't ever swim as fast as them, well... they're wrong.

__steve__
April 1st, 2010, 12:02 AM
suck in my stomach then push out the middle like this (http://www.funnyhub.com/content_images/5645_2823_stomach-suck-in.jpg)I can do that:)

ElaineK
April 1st, 2010, 09:49 AM
Hey Aqua Fox,

thank you for your kind comments, I hope one day Swim Faster Faster will be a book.

I'm not a musician, just a songwriter. Here's a song I cowrote that's not on songramp.com/ande, hope it moves you.

Dreamer and Her Dream (http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/srplayer.php?type=hipub&trackid=77690)

what else can I do?

juggle with my hands turned down,
blow bubble rings from the bottom of the diving well that stay together all the way to the surface,
blow out a candle by squeezing my hand above it,
360's on a skateboard (even after not being on a skateboard for years)
suck in my stomach then push out the middle like this (http://www.funnyhub.com/content_images/5645_2823_stomach-suck-in.jpg)

"Swim Dog" :)
"Elaine-iac" :D
"Aqua Fox";)

Dreamer and Her Dream :applaud: YES! It took me back to my HUGE dream to travel, when I was a kid. I saved up money for years and took off for a year after I graduated from SDSU. It was just me, my backpack, and my camera for year down in the South Pacific; a dream come true. I have never stopped dreaming- and doing.

Thanks for the link! I have bookmarked it for further enjoyment...

As for your other "talents" :afraid:, I think you better stick to swimming, ande's Tips, and writing songs... :D

Calvin S
April 1st, 2010, 02:14 PM
"swim like you stole something"

ande
April 1st, 2010, 03:01 PM
Larry Wood who trains with me, is a crazy driver. He likes to go fast, weave in and out of lanes to pass people. Drives like he's in a hurry. If we're at a meet and there's a long drive home, like Dallas to Austin or Houston to Austin, if I leave a bit ahead of him, I can be pretty sure at some point he's going to come blazing past me, 15 or 20 MPH above my speed, which is usually close to the limit. But when Larry swims, he knows what pace he's going to hold in which event and usually to always is very careful & calculated. Always negative splits races, always has a strong last 100, loves to pass swimmers who went out too hard and died.

I feel he could benefit from going out a littler faster and taking more chances when he races, maybe have a little reckless abandon when he races.

So I usually tell him.

"Swim like you drive."

ElaineK
April 1st, 2010, 03:12 PM
So I usually tell him.

"Swim like you drive."

Or, "Swim faster faster!" :D That quote motivates me every time I look at my stop watch (no pace clock at the community pool)...

ande
April 1st, 2010, 03:13 PM
In My Best Season Ever is one of the one of the most motivating things Eddie Reese ever said to me.

“Ande, I can’t let you back on the (UT Swim) team in the fall,
if you don’t make Nationals this summer.” (http://www.usms.org/forums/showpost.php?p=47014&postcount=421)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough? (http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4163)

"What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough?" (http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6979)

What do YOU need to do to have a major swimming breakthrough? (http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5712)

rtodd
April 2nd, 2010, 11:34 AM
In My Best Season Ever is one of the one of the most motivating things Eddie Reese ever said to me.

“Ande, I can’t let you back on the (UT Swim) team in the fall,
if you don’t make Nationals this summer.”

That is a good motivator. Maybe Masters teams should have similar motivators. I know adult motivation comes from within, certainly mine, but outside influences still get in the head of us "grown ups".

I think this would be good. If you don't make a certain practice times your coach thinks you should, you can't wear the team's cap in meets.

Lump
April 2nd, 2010, 11:43 AM
That is a good motivator. Maybe Masters teams should have similar motivators. I know adult motivation comes from within, certainly mine, but outside influences still get in the head of us "grown ups".

I think this would be good. If you don't make a certain practice times your coach thinks you should, you can't wear the team's cap in meets.

Two different animals. Its not what Master's swimming is about. When you are dealing with a certain number of college scholarships you can get away with those sort of statements.

aquageek
April 2nd, 2010, 11:52 AM
Two different animals. Its not what Master's swimming is about. When you are dealing with a certain number of college scholarships you can get away with those sort of statements.

I totally agree with you. Given life's demands, just making a few practices a week can be hard enough.

Allen Stark
April 2nd, 2010, 04:25 PM
"Good is the enemy of great!"This has really helped me when I was trying something new and I was in the "this feels awful,maybe I should stick with the old way"phase.

orca1946
April 2nd, 2010, 06:11 PM
It is better to try & fail than to fail to try !

ElaineK
April 4th, 2010, 08:34 PM
please share your favorite
quotes, songs, poems and videos to inspire folks to
Swim Faster Faster

So, Ande, what will be your first go-to song to inspire you to Swim Faster Faster at Zones? Good luck!!! :cheerleader: Perhaps you'll break another record or two? :agree: Impressive. VERY impresssive! Your records are amazing!! :applaud:

ande
April 6th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Elainiac,

this one is unbridled fun
DJ Earworm - United State of Pop 2009 (Blame It on the Pop) - Mashup of Top 25 Billboard Hits http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNzrwh2Z2hQ

thank you, I hope to have fun, records are nice, they just make it a little tougher for the next guy or gal, and there will always be a next guy or gal.

So, Ande, what will be your first go-to song to inspire you to Swim Faster Faster at Zones? Good luck!!! :cheerleader: Perhaps you'll break another record or two? :agree: Impressive. VERY impresssive! Your records are amazing!! :applaud:

ElaineK
April 7th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Elainiac,

this one is unbridled fun
DJ Earworm - United State of Pop 2009 (Blame It on the Pop) - Mashup of Top 25 Billboard Hits http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNzrwh2Z2hQ

thank you, I hope to have fun, records are nice, they just make it a little tougher for the next guy or gal, and there will always be a next guy or gal.

Hey Ande!
Great beat and very cool :cool:!

So, what events will you be doing at Nationals? If I'm not warming up for my events, I'll be the maniac - uh, Elaine-iac - cheering for you...:cheerleader:
And, I'll be the one in the funky purple and white Speedo Endurance (Not my first choice; it was CHEAP on sale at swimoutlet.com. And, I decided not to spring for a tech suit yet- legal or otherwise-until I reach some goals :agree:) swimming the breaststroke events in an outside lane- with the worst seed time, I'm sure. Looking at the 2009 results, my 200 breaststroke @ 3:29.42 would put me in dead last. But, hey, Nationals are right up the road from my house and I didn't need to make minimum qualifying times, because I'm only swimming a few events. (Good thing, because I'm still so new and didn't start training until I joined Masters in February!)

Hey, Ande, that reminds me... I tried your goggle trick with the 2 caps at my first meet, last month, and it worked great! My goggles didn't budge. One guy DIDN'T wear a cap, flooded his goggles, and had to roll over to fix them, right in the middle of his race. Too bad, because he looked like a good, strong swimmer, otherwise. He should have read your tips! :agree:

QUESTION: Will using a dab of baby shampoo damage "anti-fog" goggles? I suppose I can contact Tyr and Aquasphere about my two pairs of "anti-fog" goggles that still fog from time to time, but I thought you might know, as well...

Thanks! And, please let me know how you did after you swim Zones.

Good luck!

Aqua Dog (Elaine-iac and Aqua Fox)

Herb
April 8th, 2010, 05:52 PM
"If you are not swimming faster you are swimming slower". "Or possibly the same speed".

no200fly
April 8th, 2010, 06:03 PM
"That's a SHARK not a dolphin."

ande
April 14th, 2010, 04:44 PM
"Life is truly known only to those who suffer, lose, endure adversity and stumble from defeat to defeat."

hofffam
April 15th, 2010, 04:59 PM

I don't get it. Is wearing a team cap a special privilege?

aztimm
April 16th, 2010, 01:27 AM
I don't get it. Is wearing a team cap a special privilege?

Most guys I swim with don't even wear a cap, including me. Not being able to wear a team cap wouldn't phase me at all.

ande
April 16th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Hate to say it but to me this seems kind of silly. Being part of the cap clique doesn't do much for me.

Each person has their own goals, plans, motivations, & reasons.
Tap into that!

ande
April 16th, 2010, 03:43 PM
One thing that really motivated me to improve in 2008, was a 2007 conversation I had with my former UT teammate John Smith.
We were talking about the 2008 SCY Masters Nationals in Austin.

John said to me: "Raz you can always bust a 50!"
(he meant that he expected me to be able to swim a pretty fast 50 free)
(in 2007 I went 22.3 in the 50 free and at the time I had a few doubts)

After that conversation, I shifted my training to bust a decent 50 at Nats
my 2007 time was 22.3 & I worked on it & improved, my 2008 time was 21.4.

__steve__
April 16th, 2010, 07:22 PM
my 2008 time was 21.4.Just referenced the USMS book to find that's just 3/10ths shy of the record that year which still stands today, and furthermore is held by J Smith.

This makes me think of an appropriate but more general quote (I'll try not to butcher it too much) "Whatever you work hard at and measure will improve"

swim53
April 16th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I tried your goggle trick with the 2 caps at my first meet, last month, and it worked great! My goggles didn't budge. One guy DIDN'T wear a cap, flooded his goggles, and had to roll over to fix them, right in the middle of his race. Too bad, because he looked like a good, strong swimmer, otherwise. He should have read your tips!

Concerning two caps, what is the tip? I have goggle trouble.

ElaineK
April 16th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I tried your goggle trick with the 2 caps at my first meet, last month, and it worked great! My goggles didn't budge. One guy DIDN'T wear a cap, flooded his goggles, and had to roll over to fix them, right in the middle of his race. Too bad, because he looked like a good, strong swimmer, otherwise. He should have read your tips!

Concerning two caps, what is the tip? I have goggle trouble.

Sorry about that; I should have elaborated for the benefit of those who missed Ande's tip!

Ande recommends wearing a second cap OVER the goggles, so the strap is secure and won't slip. In addition, he recommends pulling the cap down over the top of the goggles, if the goggles aren't a streamlined racing model.

During the start, it is also important to tuck your chin and keep your arms tight against your ears when you enter the water.

After starting a forum thread soliciting advice for my goggles, I received a lot of great advice, put it to use at my first Masters meet, and had no problems at all! :agree:

ande
June 5th, 2010, 03:49 PM
this scene from Invictus

YouTube- THE TASTE OF DEFEAT

swimshark
June 6th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Stollen from a fellow forumite and friend

"Your body will go places your mind never thought it would go, as long as you are mentally tough enough to push it, drag it or carry it there."
Tracy A. Burkholder

nancyk
June 9th, 2010, 04:59 PM
If you don't know where you are going you will end up somewhere else.

Quitters never win and winners never quit (Vince Lombardi)

The harder you work the luckier you get.

Breathe by Anna Nalick:
http://s0.ilike.com/play#Anna+Nalick:Breathe+%282+AM%29:32120:s1161437 .9509440.972355.0.2.70%2Cstd_24b0d047eb6242738aa86 b2989c7b590

Chris Stevenson
June 9th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Well, I think it is appropriate to put in some Wooden quotes at this time. The following was in an email sent by Chuck Wielgus and forwarded to me by Ted Haartz. Good stuff.

SOME WORDS OF WISDOM FROM COACH JOHN WOODEN

"Never mistake activity for achievement"

"Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think of you".

"Be Prepared and Be Honest".

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

"You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."

"A Coach is someone who can give correction without causing resentment."

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?"

"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive a doer makes mistakes."

"Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be."

"Things turn out the best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out."

"Consider the rights of others before your own feelings and the feelings of others before your own rights"

"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability."

"It's not so important who gets to start the game, but who finishes it."

"It's the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen."

"Talent is god-given. Be Humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be Careful."

"The main ingredient of stardom is the rest of the team."

Karl_S
June 11th, 2010, 06:49 PM
"The Will To Win Is Not Nearly As Important As The Will To Prepare To Win"
I have always thought that this is a Woody Hayes quote (long time OSU football coach) but I did a little web searching to check the source and found this site:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/13766610/the-will-to-win-is-not-nearly-as-important-as-the-will-to-prepare-to-win

attributing it to Wooden, this site:
http://successnet.org/articles/angier-preparetowin.htm

attributing it to Bobby Knight, and this site:
http://www.bestthinking.com/thinkers/business_and_finance/george-bradt?tab=blog&blogpostid=4390

attributing it to Vince Lombardi! Whatever, it is one of my favorites.

ande
June 15th, 2010, 11:15 PM
“Consult not your fears but your hopes and your dreams. Think not about your frustrations, but about your unfulfilled potential. Concern yourself not with what you tried and failed in, but with what it is still possible for you to do.”

bzaks1424
June 16th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Working for the Weekend by Loverboy

This song always gets me going!
Working For the Weekend
YouTube- Loverboy-working for the weekend

Everyone's watching, to see what you will do
Everyone's looking at you, oh
Everyone's wondering, will you come out tonight
Everyone's trying to get it right, get it right

Everybody's working for the weekend
Everybody wants a little romance
Everybody's goin' off the deep end
Everybody needs a second chance, oh
You want a piece of my heart
You better start from start
You wanna be in the show
Come on baby lets go

Everyone's looking to see if it was you
Everyone wants you to come through
Everyone's hoping it'll all work out
Everyone's waiting they're holding out

Everybody's working for the weekend
Everybody wants a little romance
Everybody's goin' off the deep end
Everybody needs a second chance, oh
You wanna be in the show
Come on baby lets go

You wanna be in the show
Come on baby lets go

You wanna be in the show
Come on baby lets go

bzaks1424
June 16th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Oooh and one more!

I know this one doesn't necessarily have the right message throughout the song, but Cake's Going the Distance" is just an awesome song to play when you're on the blocks.

YouTube- CAKE - The Distance (Official Music Video)

Reluctantly crouched at the starting line,
Engines pumping and thumping in time.
The green light flashes, the flags goes up,
Churning and burning, they yearn for the cup.

They deftly maneuver and muscle for rank,
Fuel burning fast on an empty tank,
Reckless and wild they pour through the turns,
Their prowess is potent and secretly stern.

As they speed through the finish the flags go down.
The fans get up, and get out of town.
The arena is empty except for one man,
Still driving and striving as fast as he can

The sun has gone down and the moon has come up,
And long ago somebody left with the cup,
But he's driving and striving and hugging the turns,
And thinking of someone for whom he still burns.

He's going the distance.
He's going for speed.
She's all alone, all alone in her time of need.

Because he's racing and pacing and plotting the course,
He's fighting and biting and riding on his horse.
He's going the distance.

Yeah!

No trophy, no flowers, no flash bulbs, no wine.
He's haunted by something he cannot define.
Bowel shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse,
Assail him, impale him with monster truck force.
In his mind he's still driving, still making the grade.
She's hoping time that her memories will fade,
Cause he's racing and pacing and plotting the course,
He's fighting and biting and riding on his horse.

The sun has gone down and the moon has come up,
And long ago somebody left with the cup.
But he's striving and driving and hugging the turns,
And thinking of someone for whom he still burns.

Cause he's going the distance.
He's going for speed.
She's all alone, all alone in her time of need.

Because he's racing and pacing and plotting the course,
He's fighting and biting and riding on his horse,
He's racing and pacing and plotting the course,
He's fighting and biting and riding on his horse!

He's going the distance.
He's going for speed.
He's going the distance...

Lump
June 16th, 2010, 02:27 PM
"Breastroke Sucks!"
-Jeff Palm

That Guy
June 16th, 2010, 03:42 PM
"Breastroke Sucks!"
-Jeff Palm

There is deep wisdom in that quote. It has so many levels!

ande
June 21st, 2010, 11:44 PM
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your mind. Put your whole soul to it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful, and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

ElaineK
June 22nd, 2010, 11:10 AM
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your mind. Put your whole soul to it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful, and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ande, you had to have known when you posted this quote that I would respond. :D We are on the same page, my friend. I will never forget WHY you call me "Elaine-iaK"!

IT ALL STARTS WITH ENTHUSIASM! :bliss:

Allen Stark
June 22nd, 2010, 12:21 PM
I think the last part of Tennyson's "Ullyses" was written for Masters Swimmers.
"Tho' much is taken,much abides and tho
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven,that which we are,we are
one equal temper of heroic hearts
made weak by time and fate,but strong in will
to strive,to seek,to find and not to yield."

Karl_S
September 10th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Found this one today:
“We’re not obligated to win, but we are obligated to keep trying."
-(Dara Torres)

Here is the link:
http://speakingofrealestate.blogs.realtor.org/2010/08/05/dara-torres-were-obligated-to-keep-trying/

Based on this article, she means it:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/more/09/10/torres.training.2012.ap/index.html

philoswimmer
September 10th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Someone (accidentally) mentioned Ethan Hawke in another thread, so to round things out:

"You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton: I never saved anything for the swim back." -- Vincent in the movie GATTACA

Celestial
September 10th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Lately I've been playing "Bulletproof" by La Roux really loud right before I get in the pool - FAST beat & keeps me going!

swimlong
September 15th, 2010, 01:07 AM
go out fast, come back faster

__steve__
September 15th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Or "Go out fast, but don't come back injured."

Karl_S
September 15th, 2010, 10:05 AM
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Mark Twain.

Not very p.c. by today's standards, and perhaps "dog" should be "shark", but the message is apropos.

ekilleen
September 15th, 2010, 12:36 PM
My daughter and I have a few pre-meet song we play on the way each morning:

-Racing Day by the Backyardigans
-Go Go Go by the Backyardigans
-All Star by Smashmouth

Then, when she's on the blocks, instead of yelling and cavorting like most parents, I calmly tell her to "swim like the wind." We both know that it makes no sense but sometimes the perplexed looks from the timers make it worthwhile.

One last superstition, I'm not allowed to look at the clock until she hits the wall. Sometimes I have to tilt my hat to keep it from being visible but you do what you have to do.

I haven't done my first masters meet yet but I'm expecting her to follow all of the same rituals for me.

orca1946
September 15th, 2010, 01:27 PM
"What's another 1,000?"