PDA

View Full Version : Setting up for a good taper???

Waterdog7946
March 30th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Well SCY Nat are almost here and Ive been training hard. the last 3 months I've been in the pool 3 days a week at 3500 yards, and on my "off" days from swimming I've been lifting weights, running 3 miles @ 8min a mile, and when Im done with that I do a warm-up, sprints, and a cool down. I'm feeling a little broken down and cant sprint to save my life, but my conditioning is really good. and I think there is a flaw with my kick. I swam the first leg of the 200yd free relay and went 25.1......2 hours later I swam the 50 free, but I only went out at about 80% and really didnt kick, ended up going 25.2. and i felt that I could have held that pace forever...just cant accelerate? Now I was under 24.0 last year and I was not in this "good" of shape. 2 weeks before National I plan on dropping the weights and running. I need some opinions here....have I done it right?

ande
March 30th, 2010, 12:26 PM
There are many right ways and many wrong ways to prepare for Nats.

What events are you preparing for?
you wrote you went 25.1 & 25.2 and would like to go close to 24.0

If it's short stuff, 50's & 100's I suggest you
swim 4, 5 or 6 times a week
work on sprints and kicking fast, do shorter swims with more recovery time

Lift weights to get stronger
You probably don't need to run

What suit are you wearing?

Spend your training time preparing to race.

Read Swim Faster Faster

Well SCY Nat are almost here and Ive been training hard. the last 3 months I've been in the pool 3 days a week at 3500 yards, and on my "off" days from swimming I've been lifting weights, running 3 miles @ 8min a mile, and when Im done with that I do a warm-up, sprints, and a cool down. I'm feeling a little broken down and cant sprint to save my life, but my conditioning is really good. and I think there is a flaw with my kick. I swam the first leg of the 200yd free relay and went 25.1......2 hours later I swam the 50 free, but I only went out at about 80% and really didnt kick, ended up going 25.2. and i felt that I could have held that pace forever...just cant accelerate? Now I was under 24.0 last year and I was not in this "good" of shape. 2 weeks before National I plan on dropping the weights and running. I need some opinions here....have I done it right?

knelson
March 30th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I need some opinions here....have I done it right?

Yes, trust the work you've put in! I can't tell you how many times I've swum terribly at a meet about a month before Nationals and then swam 100x better at Nationals. For your taper concentrate on very fast swimming (don't overdo it), and very slow swimming (with great technique). Even if you don't feel good at all in the middle of your taper, don't worry. This is common. When the meet comes you will be ready.

Waterdog7946
March 30th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I plan on swimming the 500 free, 100breast, 100free, 100im and the 50 free.

Should I drop the running now? I started running to trim down...with only 7 weeks left i'm trying to drop 5-8 lbs...and what kind of rest intervals should I be doing? right now our coach has us doing main sets like 10x100 on the 1:30 and I hold a 1:05 pace...should I change to 2:00 intervals and shoot for sub 1:00 pace...

I can do a 5:35 500 in practice...but like I said I have lost the ability to accelerate...more sprints??

and I also plan on using my speedo fastskin 2 leg suit...one last hurrah for the tech suit!!!

knelson
March 30th, 2010, 01:31 PM
You're going to want to rest your legs. As far as when to stop running or cut back, I really can't comment since I never run.

Since many of your events are short I think you'll want to do lots of fast 25s and 50s with plenty of rest. And don't forget things like starts and turns (at full speed!).

Since you're doing the 500 free, you probably want to do some pace stuff. I don't think 10x100 on 2:00 is going to help you much. It's too much rest. Something like 5x100 or 10x50 trying to maintain your 500 pace with maybe :15 rest will be more beneficial.

Calvin S
March 30th, 2010, 04:22 PM
a good set i have been doing to both gauge fitness and to work on pace work (i too and doing the 500 at nats) is a set of 24 x 100 free (you can shorten if you like of course)

3 @ 1:15, 2 @ 1:10, 1 @ 1:05
1 @ 1:15, 3 @ 1:10, 2 @ 1:05
2 @ 1:15, 1 @ 1:10, 3 @ 1:05
(you coudl stop here or do the first round again as i have done)

also shorter numbers of 100s (5-10) on shorter interval (you say you can do a 5:35 500 in practice which is 1:07 pace so maybe start at 1:10) and hold a goal 500 pace.

as for taper, you sound like you have worked out a ton and broken yourself down a lot, so it may be beneficial to rest longer (maybe 2+ weeks). i replied in an earlier thread that i personally will taper for 10 days and no more, seeing as my trainign season leading up to nats is short (about 9-10 weeks).

orca1946
March 30th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Those that can't sprint are called distance swimmers . Do what you can in the whole season & be rested for the big meet. Good luck !