PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Race Music

jseteroff
April 1st, 2010, 07:43 PM
What songs get you psyched up for a race the most? How long before your race do you stop listening to the music?

rtodd
April 1st, 2010, 08:26 PM
Don't listen to any music before a race, but if I did.....

YouTube- Chris Daughtry - There and Back Again

no200fly
April 1st, 2010, 08:29 PM
I am the Walrus sung by Bono on the Across the Universe CD

SwimStud
April 1st, 2010, 08:30 PM
Rock n Roll Star - Oasis
Learn to Fly - Foo fighters

Really anything punchy...

aquageek
April 1st, 2010, 08:33 PM
For me it's Fleetwood Mac and The Eagles.

SwimStud
April 1st, 2010, 09:12 PM
Life in the Fast Lane and Tusk seem good ones

rtodd
April 1st, 2010, 09:18 PM

Serious?

Swimmy83843
April 1st, 2010, 09:25 PM
Institutionalized by Suicidal Tendicies

Lump
April 1st, 2010, 09:36 PM
Kings of Leon- The Bucket, Four Kicks, Black Thumbnail
The Cult- King Contrary Man, Wildflower
Pixies- Levitate Me, Planet of Sound, Head On (Cover)
Buck Cherry- Lit Up

I have a whole 'Swim List' on iTunes for my iPhone/iPod that changes.

ElaineK
April 1st, 2010, 09:50 PM
I didn't bring music with me to my first Masters meet, but all I need to hear to get fired up is my husband, Bruce, singing the first six notes of "Aqualung", by Jethro Tull. It's my theme song (not the lyrics; just the tune and title).:D

Happy tune hunting!
Aqua Dog (AKA: Elaine-iac :D and Aqua Fox :blush:; nicknames given by a forumite...;) )

P.S. Check out Ande's thread, "Swim Faster Faster Quotes" for his list of favorite tunes. I'm especially in agreement with him on Queen's "We Are the Champions" and "We Will Rock You". If there is (was) a better rock vocalist than Freddie Mercury, I would like to know who! And, if these song don't fire you up, nothing will.)

Swimmy83843
April 1st, 2010, 10:09 PM
Kings of Leon- The Bucket, Four Kicks, Black Thumbnail
The Cult- King Contrary Man, Wildflower
Pixies- Levitate Me, Planet of Sound, Head On (Cover)
Buck Cherry- Lit Up

I love the Pixies cover of Head On. I would second the Cult also.

orca1946
April 1st, 2010, 10:56 PM
Early Santana

Disco

Stevie Ray

Lots of Tower of Power

SolarEnergy
April 2nd, 2010, 10:23 AM
YouTube- AC/DC - For Those About To Rock

YouTube- AC/DC - Thunderstruck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9tDh_VdSNw"]The Police - Can\'t stand losing You

YouTube- Motörhead - Ace Of Spades Live(Stage Fright)

YouTube- Motörhead-Whiplash Metallica Cover

YouTube- motorhead - enter sandman

Or anything that involves, winning, not loosing and killing people bare hands.

DPC
April 2nd, 2010, 11:47 AM
Anything AC/DC from Back in Black
Any fast Led Zeppelin
Stevie Ray Vaughn, esp Voodoo Chile, and Crossfire

Calvin S
April 2nd, 2010, 12:45 PM
rage against the machine

scyfreestyler
April 2nd, 2010, 02:08 PM
Most recently, Ministry, Filter and Danzig. But I've also gone the route of IceCube, Outkast and Kanye West.

no200fly
April 2nd, 2010, 03:33 PM
For distance -
Radar Love - Golden Earing

For fly -
50 Communication Breakdown - Led Zepplin
100 Little Wing - Jimi Hendrix or The Corrs

ElaineK
April 2nd, 2010, 04:25 PM
In addition to " Aqualung" and those Queen tunes I mentioned earlier...
Chicago- Make Me Smile; Beginnings
Doobie Brothers- China Grove; Blackwater
Pat Benatar- Hit Me With Your Best Shot

orca1946
April 2nd, 2010, 06:09 PM
Soul sacrifice from Santana:banana:

craig mayo
April 4th, 2010, 09:17 AM
You really got me - Van Halen
Stranglehold - Ted Nugent
Shoot to thrill - ACDC
Crazy train - Ozzy
etc.

sanwin
April 4th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I listen anything by the Beatles and Bon Jovi. Also The Wall by John Couger Mellencamp.

swoomer
April 4th, 2010, 08:17 PM
"We Will Rock You" - Queen - Perfect 100 breast pace!

ElaineK
April 4th, 2010, 08:25 PM
"We Will Rock You" - Queen - Perfect 100 breast pace!

Hey, thanks for the tip! That's one of my songs and one of my events! :applaud:

FireRox21
April 5th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Anything by The Aquabats

YouTube- The Aquabats - Super Rad

Super Rad!!!

funkyfish
April 5th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Feuer frei by Rammstein
Battery, Jump in the Fire, and Free Speech for the Dumb by Metallica
Strength Beyond Strength by Pantera
Powersurge by Overkill
My Apocalypse by Arch Enemy
Painkiller by Judas Priest
:bliss:

jonblank
April 5th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Early Santana

Santana's "Jingo" works for me. Perfect sprint cadence.

new
April 6th, 2010, 01:19 PM
remember the name

loose yourself

ElaineK
April 6th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Another one I forgot to add to the list in my previous post:
Chicago- "Feeling Stronger Every Day"

Jazz Hands
April 6th, 2010, 04:59 PM
My favorite.

That Guy
April 6th, 2010, 10:05 PM
jazz wins

bamueller
April 7th, 2010, 03:41 PM
YouTube- Phish - 10.31.94 - The Divided Sky - Part I

+1 on ACDC
+1 on Rage

Listening to the Aquabats right now... not bad so far.

Muppet
April 7th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Muse - Knights of Cydonia and Stockholm Syndrome. The latter is 4:57 - a perfect setup for a 4:57 500 free...

Thrashing Slug
April 8th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Good choices, Muppet. I saw Muse last weekend and they were unbelievable. They played Stockholm Syndrome too! :D

My favorite pre race tune for on-deck is "Jimmy Lyon's / The Teelin / The Red Crow / The Broken Bridge", by Altan. It's a progression of Irish reels that build on each other and get the adrenaline and anticipation flowing.

I've used various albums as day-of-race music.. stuff to listen to during the drive to the venue. Some of my favorites are:

Danzig III - How The Gods Kill
Astrix - Eye To Eye
Talamasca - Zodiac
The Matrix Soundtrack
Nine Inch Nails - Broken

This year I will probably listen to Muse on race day, because I can't seem to stop listening to all of their albums. I'll have to make a mix CD.

ElaineK
April 9th, 2010, 12:38 PM
This has been interesting... I'll bet I can guess the age of everyone who has posted on this thread, based on the music groups listed. There aren't many of you who will be swimming in my age group (45-49)! :D

craig mayo
April 9th, 2010, 03:30 PM
I agree Elaine, this has been interesting. I would be in your age group though if I was swimming in the upcoming meet! But I wish you luck in representing our age bracket.:blush:

ElaineK
April 9th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I agree Elaine, this has been interesting. I would be in your age group though if I was swimming in the upcoming meet! But I wish you luck in representing our age bracket.:blush:
Thanks! I have a local developmental meet coming up at the end of the month, then Nationals, in May. How about you?

By the look of your pre-race line-up in your earlier post, I can see we're in the same age group. We're old enough to be most of these swimmers' parents!:afraid:

I can also see you lean towards the heavy metal and I go for just good ol' classic rock. :)

aquageek
April 9th, 2010, 05:02 PM
We're old enough to be most of these swimmers' parents!

Actually, you aren't.

thewookiee
April 9th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Actually, you aren't.

Sugardaddy :bighug:

ElaineK
April 9th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Actually, you aren't.

OK, Aquageek, I know I'm not old enough to be YOUR parent if you're a Fleetwood Mac and Eagles fan. :D So am I, by the way! :agree:
But, I don't even RECOGNIZE the names of some of the bands posted in this thread! :confused: I've got to be getting old...:blush:

aquageek
April 9th, 2010, 05:21 PM
OK, Aquageek, I know I'm not old enough to be YOUR parent if you're a Fleetwood Mac and Eagles fan. :D So am I, by the way! :agree:
But, I don't even RECOGNIZE the names of some of the bands posted in this thread! :confused: I've got to be getting old...:blush:

Note the day in which that was posted. Two worst bands of all time, even worse than the Moonshine Hillbilly Jug Band that Wookie loves.

ourswimmer
April 9th, 2010, 05:27 PM

There is no rule against listening to new music after you turn 22.

ElaineK
April 9th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Note the day in which that was posted. Two worst bands of all time, even worse than the Moonshine Hillbilly Jug Band that Wookie loves.

OK, you got me; April Fool's. :cool: But, hey, what's wrong with Fleetwood Mac (Rumours album is the only one I like) and the Eagles? I wouldn't use either as pre-race music, but, sheesh, they're not THAT bad! Still, for pre-race, I'll stick with some Queen tunes and the others I posted...

So, how OLD are you, anyway??? :D

ElaineK
April 9th, 2010, 05:33 PM
There is no rule against listening to new music after you turn 22.

No, you're right. And, I DO listen to new music. It's just that so much of it (to me) is not worth listening to. Now, if Crystal (on American Idol this season) cuts an album, I WILL buy that!

Having said all that, I'm mostly into jazz, anyway; something best left to POST-race (or post-meet, for that matter, along with a nice glass of wine:wine: )

As for pre-race, I think the best rock came out of the late 60's-70's! :bliss:

floswimmer
April 9th, 2010, 10:16 PM
When I'm driving in my car to a meet - music is key to set the tone - I love to listen to Classic Rock - the Stones, Hendrix, The Doors, U2.

That Guy
April 10th, 2010, 01:29 AM
So, how OLD are you, anyway??? :D

He is 8675309 years old.

aquageek
April 10th, 2010, 08:58 AM
He is 8675309 years old.

Very clever.

While there are a few good bands from the 60s and maybe one or two from the 70s, the vast majority is utterly turdly, time to move on.

Jethro Tull? Really, the group that invented the electric flute. However, I hear Fort plays a mean electric flute in her mini van.

ElaineK
April 10th, 2010, 09:39 AM
He is 8675309 years old.
Ha! I'm guess I'm old enough to get that- and remember that song! :D

thewookiee
April 10th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Very clever.

While there are a few good bands from the 60s and maybe one or two from the 70s, the vast majority is utterly turdly, time to move on.

Jethro Tull? Really, the group that invented the electric flute. However, I hear Fort plays a mean electric flute in her mini van.

Do you have a problem with Jethro Tull?

ElaineK
April 10th, 2010, 09:51 AM

OK, Aquageek, which bands from the 60's and 70's DO you think are good? And, what pre-race music would you want to listen to? There were so many great groups and singers from that period, in my opinion: Beatles, The Who, Pink Floyd; Earth, Wind & Fire; Stevie Wonder, Steely Dan, Queen, Tower of Power, Chicago, Elton John, Doobie Brothers, Jethro Tull (yes, Ian Anderson is a great singer and musician!), ... Just my humble opinion! :)

thewookiee
April 10th, 2010, 10:02 AM
OK, Aquageek, which bands from the 60's and 70's DO you think are good? And, what pre-race music would you want to listen to? There were so many great groups and singers from that period, in my opinion: Beatles, The Who, Pink Floyd; Earth, Wind & Fire; Stevie Wonder, Steely Dan, Queen, Tower of Power, Chicago, Elton John, Doobie Brothers, Jethro Tull (yes, Ian Anderson is a great singer and musician!), ... Just my humble opinion! :)

Geek's favorite pre-race band are The Village People. He likes to dress like an indian when his family are gone.

stillwater
April 10th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Geek's favorite pre-race band are The Village People. He likes to dress like an indian when his family are gone.

W, your command of the English language and rich humor never cease to amaze me.

This quote will find a way into our book.

Your pal.

thewookiee
April 10th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Stoolwater, if you don't like the comments between geek and myself, don't read them. I don't care what you think of me, my grammer, or my friendship with geek. Have a nice day.

aquageek
April 10th, 2010, 11:26 AM

The irony here is that when I did Indian Guides with #1 my name was Flaky White Fish.

I think a small case could be made that the Beatles, Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones are good bands from the 60s/70s, Black Sabbath also. Other than that, crickets.

FREEBIRD! (sorry, every time someone tells me how great the 70s are I have to scream "freebird" and raise a lighter.)

craig mayo
April 10th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks! I have a local developmental meet coming up at the end of the month, then Nationals, in May. How about you?

By the look of your pre-race line-up in your earlier post, I can see we're in the same age group. We're old enough to be most of these swimmers' parents!:afraid:

I can also see you lean towards the heavy metal and I go for just good ol' classic rock. :)
Good luck with your meets coming up. I wont be doin any meets soon. But I still will be doin my workouts.I have a daughter in college and a son in high school, so my time for meets is taken up by side work.
We certainly have similar tastes in music, I just amp it up a little for a race. but I could listen to your listed picks all day and feel right at home. If I were to take a normal day, I would be on Classic Rock channel, mainly 70's thru mid 80's.
One neat thing about being older though is when the song is a remake, but todays group doesn't realize it!:cane:

stillwater
April 10th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Stoolwater, if you don't like the comments between geek and myself, don't read them. I don't care what you think of me, my grammer, or my friendship with geek.

Wook,

Potty humor always works. Nice job. My seven year old would be proud of you!

Trust me, your "friendship" with Bill is betweeen you two. I don't want to meddle in the private affairs of BFFs.

Your Pal

hawk43
April 11th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Speed King -- Deep Purple
Mission -- Rush
Right Now -- Val Halen
All My Life -- Foo Fighters

orca1946
April 12th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Just found " five horse johnson" Cool s tuff !

thewookiee
April 12th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Metallica, U2, Jethro Tull, Queen

stillwater
April 12th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Queen

Some really, really like this band.

thewookiee
April 12th, 2010, 02:06 PM

And some of us just like the music they produced.

ElaineK
April 12th, 2010, 02:09 PM

There is a good reason for this: Freddie Mercury had (in my opinion) the BEST voice in rock and roll. The quality, range, pitch; everything was perfect. Freddie never missed a note and could sing ANYTHING.

Queen's songs were also innovative; they sounded like nobody else.

David Bowie is another one I forgot to mention. There are several tunes from "Let's Dance" and "Young Americans"; especially with David Sanborn's sax solos. Bowie is another great voice in rock and roll.

aquageek
April 12th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Make a pact with yourself - take an entire month and listen to nothing made before 2005. I suspect you will find some music you really enjoy. XM has entire channels devoted to new music. After your month you can return to the threadbare screechers of the 70s,

Pandora is a good place to listen to new music also.

ElaineK
April 12th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Make a pact with yourself - take an entire month and listen to nothing made before 2005. I suspect you will find some music you really enjoy. XM has entire channels devoted to new music. After your month you can return to the threadbare screechers of the 70s,

Pandora is a good place to listen to new music also.

Been there, done that. I listen to Pandora and also watch concerts on Palladia. Pink gave an awesome performance, Alicia Keys and India Arie are worthy of a listen, and there have been a few others. I'm always open to listening to new music.

Having said that, I STILL prefer the bands I have previously listed! :bliss: