PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Injury???

BR KnuckleDragger
April 2nd, 2010, 11:56 AM
Anyone here experience any type of shoulder injury that kept you out of the water for more than a month??

How did you rehab?

Was your injury related to Freestyle and free pulling with paddles or another stroke?

Are breaststrokers suseptible to any specific type of shoulder injury?

Would love everyone's feedback!

...missing the pool...

JimRude
April 2nd, 2010, 02:25 PM
Anyone here experience any type of shoulder injury that kept you out of the water for more than a month??

How did you rehab?

Was your injury related to Freestyle and free pulling with paddles or another stroke?

Are breaststrokers suseptible to any specific type of shoulder injury?

Would love everyone's feedback!

...missing the pool...

Diagnosis was AC joint arthritis - basically, the cartilage is gone in the ac joint, which leads to bone on bone friction when the joint is compressed.

Ortho surgeon assured me that it was not rotator cuff related, but more likely wear and tear over the years. No MRI recommended.

RIGHT SHOULDER Fall 2008
Not sure what the specific event was that triggered it. I do recall a twinge in my right shoulder a few years ago in a race. In the am I couldn't lift my arm over my head. I slept on my shoulders, and that may have triggered it. Got a steroid injection in the joint by the surgeon. Immediate relief. Problem-free since.

LEFT SHOULDER Summer 2009
Problems similar to right shoulder, though not as severe. Went for injection, had little relief, and pain persisted through LCM Nats in Indy.

LEFT SHOULDER Fall 2009
Went back for another injection. Immediate relief, basically problem-free since, though some range of motion limitation. Conclusion: Summer 2009 injection missed the joint, and hit bone instead(!).

I do not use paddles anymore - until the first injury I was a heavy user of paddles for FR and BR pulling (and was very aggressive/fast doing so).

I do a range of shoulder exercises - RC exercises using thera-band, bent-over rows, scapular shrugs, etc. These are key.

I was never out of the water for more than a few days, though what I could do was limited.

As a BR'er, I notice that shoulder problems are exacerbated by having muscular imbalances (tight pecs and traps, etc). I do a series of stretches from "Genius of Flexibility" that have helped tremendously).

:2cents:

jessicafk11
April 2nd, 2010, 03:52 PM
I had some PT for my shoulder last summer and was barely swimming or not swimming at all for about a month or so. I didn't have an actual diagnosis other than it hurt and doing the PT exercises helped. I also worked on changing my stroke which has helped immensely. I can now swim with little to no shoulder discomfort even though other things still bother the shoulder and I still have popping. I love breaststroke and my shoulders have never had a problem with it, it was freestyle and backstroke that gave me issues.

Hope you are back in the water soon!