PDA

View Full Version : Energy Systems

Swimmer33
August 4th, 2003, 01:11 AM
Does anyone have a simple way to explain the different energy systems that coaches use? EN1, SP3,?

Ken Classen
August 4th, 2003, 03:08 PM
I don't know if this will be a simple enough explanation but those codes En1, Sp3 etc. translate to heart rate training zones based on a percentage of maximum heart rate (MHR).

For example if your 20 years old and your maximum heart rate is 200 beats per minute and the coach requests you swim a set at E1, the coach is asking you to swim the set at 60 to 70% of your maximum heart rate or around 120-140 beats per minute.

Perceived effort level of zones goes as follows:
REC: <60% ~Recovery zone is below the E1 zone.
E1: 60-70% ~Long distance/set cruise pace
E2: 70-80% ~Long distance/set controlled pace
E3: 80-90% ~Long distance/set strong pace (approaching race pace)

Endurance is aerobic - Speed is anaerobic
S1: 90%+ ~Short distance (50 - 150 yards) anaerobic base pace
S2: 95%+ ~Short distance (25 - 100 yards) anaerobic approx. sprint race pace
S3: 99%+ ~Short distance (12.5 - 25 yards) All out power burst

Take a standard type set of 10x100's. If I label the set E1 it should be relatively easy for a fit swimmer to do this within the interval assigned. At the end of the set they should not feel winded and should easily be able to speak with other swimmers in the lane. If I label the set as E3, I'm asking the swimmers to go near race pace for 1000 yards. At the conclusion of this set the swimmers should be breathing heavily, their skin a little pink and in definite need of some easy recovery swimming before the next set can begin. If your interested I have an Excel spread sheet with MHR for swimmers of different ages and zones labeled with target heart rates for those zones also for different ages.

Ken Classen, University of Denver Masters Swimming

tjburk
August 5th, 2003, 08:54 AM
Ken, I would love a copy of that if you don't mind! Home e-mail is tjburk@cox.net

Thanks, Tracy

bokko
December 2nd, 2003, 06:03 PM
hi ken, can i copy the post to confontate with italian system?

we use A1, A2, B1 and B2 but they are same at yours but there isn't the same definite difference between long and short distance

thanks

Ken Classen
December 2nd, 2003, 09:11 PM
Copy away.

bokko
December 3rd, 2003, 07:47 AM
thank you very much, ken

sky_swimmer
February 9th, 2004, 05:10 PM
hey ken:

can you send me a copy as well >?

bill_paine@hotmail.com