PDA

View Full Version : Shaving

Thrashing Slug
April 10th, 2010, 11:50 PM
OK so I just finished shaving down for the first and possibly last time. It took an hour and a half and 8 razors. I feel disgusting and strange. My wife is pissed.

However, I figure for the 1650 it might be worth it.

Couroboros
April 11th, 2010, 12:34 AM
I am doing the 1650 for the first time in two weeks. I am also supposed to be shaving for the first time.

Eight razors? Are you serious? How hairy are you?

Allen Stark
April 11th, 2010, 12:46 AM
How did you do it,that seems excessive in terms of both time and razors.What I do is take hair clippers first to clip everything close,then go back over with the razors while soaking in the bath tub.It takes me less than an hour and uses 3 razors.Yes I am fairly hairy and yes my wife makes me wear long sleeve pajamas to bed for some time afterwards.

Lump
April 11th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Does everyone shave full body when wearing the full body suits? I'm wondering what I need to shave for Nationals?:confused:

tjrpatt
April 11th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Does everyone shave full body when wearing the full body suits? I'm wondering what I need to shave for Nationals?:confused:

toes, arms, and neck probably need to be shaved if they are hairy.

Karen Duggan
April 11th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Kinda funny. I was sitting at our last meet with my tech suit on. I looked down at my crossed leg and went to pull off a dog hair off my calf. I pulled on it and let out a small yelp. Turns out it was my hair, and it was sticking out through the suit! You bet I'm shaving under my tech suit :D

JimRude
April 11th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Clip first - 20 mins max. Throw hair in wife's sink or wastebasket.

Then shave - 40 mins max, and 2-3 razors. Leave shaving cream scum in tub or shower.

Chris Stevenson
April 11th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Clip first - 20 mins max. Throw hair in wife's sink or wastebasket.

Then shave - 40 mins max, and 2-3 razors. Leave shaving cream scum in tub or shower.

And don't forget to use all the hot water.

tjrpatt
April 11th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Has anyone waxed before a big meet? Just curious.

jim clemmons
April 11th, 2010, 08:48 PM

No, only exposed areas.

Thrashing Slug
April 11th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I think the problem was that I used my normal razors with the 3 blades. Apparently the womens' leg shaving razors have only two blades. I didn't do any prep with the clippers beforehand. I'm not overly hairy, just inexperienced in these matters.

I did feel nice and slippery today at the meet.

knelson
April 11th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Using the clippers as a first step is definitely the way to go. As I'm sure you found out you'll just constantly be clogging up the razor otherwise. And, yeah, the cheapo disposable razors seem to work as good as anything. It's even OK to use the pink ones. :)

Was that you sitting next to me today? I thought I'd met you before but couldn't put my finger on it! How was your 1650?

__steve__
April 12th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Most difficult areas for me to shave are the knees, elbows, and palms of hands.

Lump
April 12th, 2010, 09:24 AM
No, only exposed areas.

I've shaved plenty of times when I was age group and in college, but that was back in the "bikini paper suit" era when it was easy.....everything outside the suit gets shaved.

I'm not a hairy person, luckily. I prefer to shave like I did in my younger years, but the thought of stubble when trying to put those fullbodys on make my cringe. If I do a full shave I have a feeling I'll have to reshave again after day 2.

stillwater
April 12th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Most difficult areas for me to shave are the knees, elbows, and palms of hands.

Ears and nose.

Stevepowell
April 12th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Ears and nose.

back

Lump
April 12th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Ears and nose.

I finally bought one of those "personal grooming trimmers":D I only use it on the ole nostrils though...not quite old enough for the ears yet!

orca1946
April 12th, 2010, 11:46 AM
PALMS ??? :afraid:

jim clemmons
April 12th, 2010, 11:48 AM
It's truly amazing as you get older where the only dark hairs (or hair in general) will contintue to grow from...

swimshark
April 12th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Clip first - 20 mins max. Throw hair in wife's sink or wastebasket..

:bitching::bitching::bitching:

ljodpundari
April 12th, 2010, 04:12 PM
OK so I just finished shaving down for the first and possibly last time... My wife is pissed.
You're a braver man than I am.:D

Tom

Allen Stark
April 12th, 2010, 10:32 PM
I don't shave areas covered by the suit.My 3 razor shave referred to the once and future non-tech suit era.Shaving the second time is easier and faster.I am probably at the more obsessive end of the shaving as I shave the night before the the meet,then I go over the areas in the morning with my electric razor,then if I am swimming the next day I shave again that evening and again with the electric shaver in the morning etc.

The Fortress
April 12th, 2010, 10:43 PM
It's truly amazing as you get older where the only dark hairs (or hair in general) will contintue to grow from...

Yours are dark? Mine are gray.

OK, reading this thread was scary. Shaving takes me 5 minutes max.

Good to know that Kirk is using pink razors though.

Thrashing Slug
April 13th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Was that you sitting next to me today? I thought I'd met you before but couldn't put my finger on it! How was your 1650?

Yeah it was me. I figured you would either remember, or just wonder "who the hell is this guy acting like he knows me?" :D

The 1650 was an ordeal. It took a looooonnnnnng time. I went out a little too fast, slowed down too much on the third 400, then successfully picked it up on the final 400. I waited until the last 400 to bring in a 6-beat kick, which worked well. However I felt like I had some energy left in the tank at the end. Not much, mind you.. I was on the verge of puking. But I didn't feel as spent as say, at the end of a 5K run. I think I could have kicked for longer, especially since I was forcing myself to breathe every 2. (I breathe every 3 in practice).

One thing I noticed this year was that I seemed to recover a lot better than last year when I did all sprints (50s, 100s, 200s). I don't feel stiff or sore today. I even went for a fairly hard run this afternoon and felt fine. Last year I was pretty sore for a few days after the meet. I'm not sure what that means. I definitely did lots of warmdown swimming yesterday after the 500 and 100 fly. Maybe that worked. OR, maybe I just didn't go as hard as I normally do when I'm fully trained and ready to go fast.

Thrashing Slug
April 13th, 2010, 12:23 AM
OK back to the original topic.. I went for a nice hard 4 mile run today; a return to normal life, so to speak. Meet is over, back to my triathlon training. Well unfortunately once I got sweaty I broke out into itchy hives in various shaved areas. I felt like bugs were eating my skin. I hate shaving! A long hot shower helped, but this really sucks. I'm not sure this was worth it. Since I never swam any of the events before I have no baseline times and can't really say. How many seconds did I gain by shaving? Impossible to know for sure. Would I have out-touched that 75 year old guy in the 500 if I hadn't shaved? Probably not. Maybe that makes it worth it.

For those contemplating shaving for the first time, let this be a cautionary tale :(

By the way, Fort I'm glad I could do my part to induce a little shudder. I feel I owe the board that much. And please stop gloating with the 5 minutes.

knelson
April 13th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Yeah it was me. I figured you would either remember, or just wonder "who the hell is this guy acting like he knows me?" :D

There's usually lots of friendly folks at masters meets, so it didn't even faze me!

However I felt like I had some energy left in the tank at the end.

Me too, actually. I'll take that to the alternative!

Chris Stevenson
April 13th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Meet is over, back to my triathlon training. Well unfortunately once I got sweaty I broke out into itchy hives in various shaved areas. I felt like bugs were eating my skin. I hate shaving! A long hot shower helped, but this really sucks. I'm not sure this was worth it. Since I never swam any of the events before I have no baseline times and can't really say. How many seconds did I gain by shaving? Impossible to know for sure. Would I have out-touched that 75 year old guy in the 500 if I hadn't shaved? Probably not. Maybe that makes it worth it.

For those contemplating shaving for the first time, let this be a cautionary tale :(

Funny, I've known (male) triathletes who shave their legs regularly, at least in the summer.

Shaving makes a significant difference in swimming performance. I've gotten used to the feeling so I don't really think much about it afterward (and unlike others who have commented, my wife actually likes the results... :)).

But probably the most painful areas post-shave are the upper/inner thighs. And if you wear jammers, you don't really have to shave those areas.

jim clemmons
April 13th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Yours are dark? Mine are gray.

OK, reading this thread was scary. Shaving takes me 5 minutes max.

Good to know that Kirk is using pink razors though.

Dark where you'd wish them to be light and, of course, light where you'd wish them dark.

I can clip, then final shave, in roughly 10 minutes for a full suit allowed meet. Probably closer to an 45-60 minutes when we go backwards to jammers. Bummer.

tjrpatt
April 13th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Luckily, since I shave for two meets this yards season(one a few weeks ago and Zones in about 10-11 days), the second shave doesn't take 45 minutes. Yeah! The first one is always pain in the neck.