PDA

View Full Version : Swimming: Cross-Training

connor.surfside
April 15th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Hi Everyone -

My sport is primarily soccer and my training consists of aerobic endurance, interval training, and sprinting. Recently my hamstrings have been getting tight due to under use and over training of the quads.

A friend suggested that swimming be added as a cross-training plan to find a little balance.

Is there a general suggestion of what strokes are best for training the hammys? And any suggestions of what a good workout would consist of?

Thanks in advance!

Redbird Alum
April 16th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Is there a general suggestion of what strokes are best for training the hammys? And any suggestions of what a good workout would consist of?

Thanks in advance!

Start with a kickboard, unless you are thinking triathelon. Any of Freestyle, Backstroke and Fly (dolphin) kick should do you. Remember to keep the foot relaxed in all of them and kick from the hip, with only a little knee-bend. Kick both on the up and down beat.

Best of Luck!

__steve__
April 16th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Swimming seems to blast the front thighs for me. The only hamstring effect I get are from starts and, to lesser degree, turns.

rtodd
April 17th, 2010, 08:04 PM
How are the hamstrings getting underused if you sprint? Swimming is good if you want to lay off the hamstrings a bit.

Lump
April 17th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Breastroke

Jazz Hands
April 17th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Kicking in swimming is more about the quads. This sounds like something to work on in the weight room.