PDA

View Full Version : Manly men pick sports like swimming over group sports.

elise526
April 20th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Next time your son comes home and tells you that his classmates are telling him that it is more manly to play football or basketball than swim, point him to the below study. Seems men with higher testosterone levels prefer one-on-one competition to group competition.

http://www.pranjmehta.com/docs/papers/Mehtaetal2009.pdf

thewookiee
April 20th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I wonder how Geek got into swimming then? I thought he had more estrogen than testosterone.

stillwater
April 20th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I wonder how Geek got into swimming then? I thought he had more estrogen than testosterone.

Ha, ha, ha! Nice zinger wook. I see you have evolved from poop to gender jokes. I wonder where you will go next.

Your pal

TRYM_Swimmer
April 20th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Reminds me of High School, when a certain football player, on a team that won 4 games in 4 years, told me I wasn't really an athlete, because swimmers had soft muscles. After I goaded him into hitting me hard in the solar plexus without a flinch in front of numerous witnesses, that kind of talk ended, in that school anyway.

thewookiee
April 20th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Ha, ha, ha! Nice zinger wook. I see you have evolved from poop to gender jokes. I wonder where you will go next.

Your pal

What's your point?

aquageek
April 20th, 2010, 01:57 PM
What's your point?

You need to get a TRO on your stalker pal Stillwater. It's approaching D2 creepiness.

stillwater
April 20th, 2010, 02:08 PM
What's your point?

Wow, Wookster, from grade school humor to Socratic questioning.

You stun me again.

I just put the helmet on and I'm going back in time again to document your past quips. (By the way, I still have your size super-extra-small time traveling helmet around here. The cat kind of pooped in it but I don't think you'll notice.)

Please keep your unique wit coming, it will make our book a best seller.

Your Pal

thewookiee
April 20th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Wow, Wookster, from grade school humor to Socratic questioning.

You stun me again.

I just put the helmet on and I'm going back in time again to document your past quips. (By the way, I still have your size super-extra-small time traveling helmet around here. The cat kind of pooped in it but I don't think you'll notice.)

Please keep your unique wit coming, it will make our book a best seller.

Your Pal

And what is the exact nature of your problems?

stillwater
April 20th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Stillwater is out of the office and unable to respond. He is back in time.

He will return later, before this was written.

tjrpatt
April 20th, 2010, 09:39 PM
All I know is that in all my years of swimming, I never saw guys whip each with towels or slap each other on their butts which is the right of passage in football. Yet, swimming is the flamboyent sport.

Karl_S
April 21st, 2010, 09:03 AM
Reminds me of High School, when a certain football player, on a team that won 4 games in 4 years, told me I wasn't really an athlete, because swimmers had soft muscles. After I goaded him into hitting me hard in the solar plexus without a flinch in front of numerous witnesses, that kind of talk ended, in that school anyway.

In my school the swimmers were saved from having to perform such demonstrations by the fact that one of the starting linemen on the football team swam butterfly. He let everyone know that swimming practice was "way tougher" than football practice. I'll take his word for it as my body type is incompatible with football...

etrain
April 21st, 2010, 09:17 AM
We had 2 football players on our team in High School and they both came into swimming out of shape and fat and by the end were trim and healthy looking again! Both always said that swimming was way harder than any football practice.

etrain

orca1946
April 21st, 2010, 10:08 AM
In college at Ill state univ in the late 60's , our breaststroker was the center on the football team ! Our team looked like a small football team with some of also bigger than normal swimmers.

TRYM_Swimmer
April 21st, 2010, 10:51 AM
In my school the swimmers were saved from having to perform such demonstrations by the fact that one of the starting linemen on the football team swam butterfly. He let everyone know that swimming practice was "way tougher" than football practice. I'll take his word for it as my body type is incompatible with football...

One of the other local schools had an All-Conference Halfback who was All-State in the 50 Free. Of course, our football jocks couldn't read well enough to have noticed that in the papers!

aquageek
April 21st, 2010, 11:28 AM
This thread comes up once a year with the same predictable statements - some big football player joins one or two swim workouts and proclaims it harder than football. Never hear about some skinny swimmer donning full gear and doing full contact scrimmages against 200-300 pound lineman in 90+ degree weather. No thanks, I'll stick to swimming. Both sports present unique challenges and develop their athletes in different ways.

Ken Classen
April 21st, 2010, 12:05 PM
This thread comes up once a year with the same predictable statements - some big football player joins one or two swim workouts and proclaims it harder than football. Never hear about some skinny swimmer donning full gear and doing full contact scrimmages against 200-300 pound lineman in 90+ degree weather. No thanks, I'll stick to swimming. Both sports present unique challenges and develop their athletes in different ways.

One of my best friends played high school football and swam. He was a good enough football player to receive small school scholarship offers. Today he is a masterís swimmer with the abilities to be a top ten in the nation in distance events. He would tell you that football is way harder and mention the getting laid out, head rung, throwing up, constantly getting yelled at by coaches. Football players also are far more likely to become injured playing there sport, including injuries that keep them out of the game forever and alter there lifeís course. He ultimately declined to play in college.

FYI - When I was in High School in the 70ís, multiple members of the swim team played or participated in other high school sports. If Michel Phelps had been a teenager in the 60ís or 70ís, he might have played football, basketball and swum in High School. In todayís world proponents of there sport tend to push specialization, they have to keep the fiefdom going.