PDA

View Full Version : Nationals & Daily Recovery

Atlantic
April 23rd, 2010, 12:01 AM
Hello-

Atlanta will be my first Masters national meet. For those who have competed in them before (3-4 days of it) - how do you all handle getting enough rest, fuel, whatever in order to swim well over that span of time? I have 5 individual events and will more than likely be on all the relays... any advice or comments? I've done 3 day meets in college, but as I've gotten older - the body doesn't respond the way it used to.

;)

Thanks!

Allen Stark
April 23rd, 2010, 12:17 AM
You should have plenty of time between events.Make sure you get plenty of sleep and during the day make sure you stay hydrated.Try to walk as little as possible as that can drain an amazing amount of energy.

knelson
April 23rd, 2010, 12:47 PM
Be sure to warm down thoroughly after each swim. Also, don't feel like it's necessary to get to the pool for the morning warmup. Yeah, it's nice to swim in the competition pool, but it's usually so crowded you aren't going to get in an effective warmup, anyway. I prefer just getting to the pool an hour or so before my first event and warming up then (in the dive tank).

craig68
April 23rd, 2010, 03:18 PM
I agree with Kirk, and it needs to be a longer warm-down than some folks might think. I remember in college our coaches determined through extensive lactate testing that we need to warm down around 15 minutes after a race (something like 8 or 10 X 100 on 1:45?). That's as long as it takes to thoroughly flush out any lactic acid you're producing in the race. That will definitely help for better performance in multiple events over three days.

swimshark
April 23rd, 2010, 04:06 PM
Find a protein drink or bar that you like and eat/drink that within 20 min of your last swim. It will help you not feel so fatigued the next day. I drink Pure Protein that I get at Target. I actually drink one after every practice and it has helped a lot.

Lump
April 23rd, 2010, 07:47 PM
A couple Chili Cheese Dogs and a Frosted Orange at the Varsity will help! :applaud:

ElaineK
April 23rd, 2010, 08:00 PM
A couple Chili Cheese Dogs and a Frosted Orange at the Varsity will help! :applaud:
Better wait until after ALL of your events on Sunday, before you head across the bridge to the Varsity!:bolt:

Hey forumites, we need to set up a meeting place for our post-Nationals celebration, on Sunday. But, if memory serves me right, the Varsity doesn't serve alcohol. I was only there once for lunch, so I don't know for sure. Where should we meet to :chug: , :bliss:, or :bighug:, and :cry:???

Atlantic
April 25th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Thanks for all the advice!!!!

Will the competition pool be opened up periodically for warmups and a sprint lane throughout the meet? I will have to show up early on Friday if they aren't. I absolutely have to go off the blocks a few times before competing!

I've heard of the Varsity - will have to save that for Sunday nite!

:D

pwolf66
April 25th, 2010, 09:58 PM
There will be a separate warm up/down area. There will be a 30 min warm up in the competition pools each day after the 500 Frees/400 IM. During each warmup period there will be assigned start/sprint lanes. These are typically opened up for the last 15 minutes of warmup.

AFAIK practice starts are not permitted at any other time than during the designated warmups.

WPSWIMS
April 25th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Let's have a real southern lunch/supper. How about Mary Mac's off Ponce de Leon a block from Piedmont. Colorado is too healthy and I will need real southern food! There is Pitty's Pat Porch but that is too touristy for me.
I am okay for an oil change at the Greasy V (The Varsity).

Lump
April 26th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Let's have a real southern lunch/supper. How about Mary Mac's off Ponce de Leon a block from Piedmont. Colorado is too healthy and I will need real southern food! There is Pitty's Pat Porch but that is too touristy for me.
I am okay for an oil change at the Greasy V (The Varsity).

Well if you want to go down to Ponce, lets all go to another Southern, err, landmark! Atlanta people know it well.

http://www.clermontlounge.net/about_us_page.html

Speedo
April 26th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I'm fortunate enough to have one of the best coaches in the mid-Atlantic, and he keeps it simple. Between events at a multi-day meet, it's "swim a 300." No suggested pace, just whatever speed your body thinks it should be doing. I just do the same at the end of the day/meet as well. It worked well for me this weekend swimming 12 events over 2 days- I think the warmdowns were critical in being able to get back up and do another intense effort. At nationals there should be sufficient time between events to do more warmdown than that if you like. :2cents:

sjstuart
April 26th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Here's the advice from a coach that I use for cooldowns:

As you cool down, do an inventory of whether...
... your breathing has recovered
... your muscles feel recovered
... you feel mentally recovered
You can get out when you meet at least 2 of those 3 criteria.

Which 2 recover first depends on the stroke/distance, for me.

I like this because it adapts to how you feel, but is still objective enough that it keeps me from getting out just because I'm lazy/bored. This works much better for me than a prescribed distance.

ElaineK
April 26th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Well if you want to go down to Ponce, lets all go to another Southern, err, landmark! Atlanta people know it well.

http://www.clermontlounge.net/about_us_page.html

I'm not familiar with either of the restaurants on Ponce, but we should pick a place that:
1. Is either walking distance from the pool or a close drive with a lot of parking.
2. A place that can handle a (possibly) large group w/o reservations.
3. Good food! :D
4. :chug: & :wine: :drink:
5. Is open on Sunday after the meet.
6. Isn't too expensive.
That's my :2cents: !! :D

BillS
April 26th, 2010, 01:32 PM
There are a couple of issues to look out for.

First, while there is usually lots of time between events, finding space to adequately cool down after a swim, or to warm up just prior to your event, can be a challenge. The dive wells at Federal Way and Austin were both nose to toes pretty much the entire time, with some folks trying to rev up for their events and others trying to cool it down. At times, and especially after a disappointing swim, I found it difficult to work up enthusiasm for inserting myself into the crowd and getting 300-400 yards in, no matter how much I knew I needed to. I'm guessing the situation will be even worse this year with the numbers we have coming and 20 lanes running.

Second, I have struggled with cumulative fatigue hitting pretty hard on the last day. In addition to the swimming, all that adrenaline and the emotional highs and lows really seem to take a toll on me. That problem seems to be getting a little better as I get more experience swimming one or two big meets annually.

For fueling during the meet, you can't beat the gold medal sponsor option. Eat whenever you want, no scrounging up cash or card and trying to find somewhere to buy something, it's usually in a nice quiet area away from the hubbub but close enought to keep tabs on what's happening, great socializing, food is usually decent (I still crave one of those breakfast burritos at Austin from time to time), bottled water always available, etc. etc. etc.

That Guy
April 26th, 2010, 01:53 PM
The dive wells at Federal Way and Austin were both nose to toes pretty much the entire time, with some folks trying to rev up for their events and others trying to cool it down.

At Federal Way nationals, there were three more lanes available in the kiddie pool beneath the lobby. I never saw it get crowded in there, and as an added bonus, the kiddie pool has a PIRATE SHIP!!!

Betsy
April 26th, 2010, 02:25 PM
It took me a long time to buy into the longer warm-up and cool-down, but it makes a huge difference. Hydration is important also.
If I am swimming in the late morning or in the afternoon, I like to go the pool early for the start of warm-up. It is less crowded and I can get in a more pleasant warm-up. Then I like to get breakfast, relax (if possible), and return to the pool for another short warm-up in the crowded pool before my event.

Chris Stevenson
April 26th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Warming down is important, but I am also a big fan of a pre-race warmup. I need to feel loose and psyched before a race. I can also remember many occasions in practice where the SECOND repeat of a set is my fastest one, and the first repeat is both slower and more painful. This implies I wasn't warmed up enough for the first rep: without getting tired, you need to get your HR up and your muscles warmed up and ready to go.

If the warmup pool is crowded, then you can't easily do fast/race-pace bursts to get yourself ready for your race. But I remember reading a post -- I think from Rich Abrahams -- stating that, under crowded conditions, he'll use short/fast bursts of vertical kicking to get himself ready to sprint.

I haven't had the occasion yet to use what sounds like great advice, but this might be the meet.

aztimm
April 26th, 2010, 02:40 PM
At Federal Way nationals, there were three more lanes available in the kiddie pool beneath the lobby. I never saw it get crowded in there, and as an added bonus, the kiddie pool has a PIRATE SHIP!!!

That's a great point. Back when ASU hosted nationals a few years ago, both the competition center warmup and diving pools were crazy busy most of the time. But the rec center pool across campus hardly had a soul. I did my nice long warmup at the rec center, then a shorter one just before my events. If I decide to swim nationals next year, I'll use one of my gym pools for warmup, then same thing a shorter one just before any events.

I'd scope out any alternate nearby pools and look into using them for a longer warmup, without the throngs.

ande
April 26th, 2010, 04:15 PM
ATLANTIC

here's my answer

swimshark
April 26th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I'm not familiar with either of the restaurants on Ponce, but we should pick a place that:
1. Is either walking distance from the pool or a close drive with a lot of parking.
2. A place that can handle a (possibly) large group w/o reservations.
3. Good food! :D
4. :chug: & :wine: :drink:
5. Is open on Sunday after the meet.
6. Isn't too expensive.
That's my :2cents: !! :D

And one where we won't get robbed going to :bolt:

Atlantic
April 26th, 2010, 07:13 PM
WOW - thank you for all your responses - there is so much to think of! I will definitely be warming up and down for all of my races. Alison, I will be sure to get some protein bar/drink for the end of each session - sounds like a great idea. I know this is going to be a crazy meet, but I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

:bliss:

born2fly
April 26th, 2010, 08:59 PM
it will be organized chaos. just relax and have fun, its just another meet, just many more people. You still swim the races you have done all season, so nothing new there. Enjoy the experience and the racing!

WPSWIMS
April 26th, 2010, 10:26 PM
I was joking about Mary Macs. Atlantic Station is very close to Tech and there are several places to choose from!
I also like to get a good long warm up and warm down after my events.
I do try to eat extra protein or I will bonk especially on the long events.

Speedo
April 27th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I do try to eat extra protein or I will bonk especially on the long events.Really?