PDA

View Full Version : Qualifying times made at nationals

Calvin S
April 23rd, 2010, 10:26 AM
The question is simple. Is there anything that has been put down in writing somewhere that disqualifies masters meet times from being considered for USA meet qualifying times like Sectionals/Senior Nationals/Open? I would assume that since tech suits are allowed at Atlanta that from now until USMS bans the suits, those times achieved at USMS sanctioned meets would not count.

I ask not so that I can use the tech suit to achieve qualifying times, so much as tryign to figure out if its worth me wearing my 2010 compliant suit for those races I am going for cuts in (if no times are being allowed, i will just stick with my tech suit and get every last race I can out of it).

If anyone can point me in the direction of something that says definitively what the answer is, I would appreciate it.

lefty
April 23rd, 2010, 10:47 AM
The question is simple. Is there anything that has been put down in writing somewhere that disqualifies masters meet times from being considered for USA meet qualifying times like Sectionals/Senior Nationals/Open? I would assume that since tech suits are allowed at Atlanta that from now until USMS bans the suits, those times achieved at USMS sanctioned meets would not count.

I ask not so that I can use the tech suit to achieve qualifying times, so much as tryign to figure out if its worth me wearing my 2010 compliant suit for those races I am going for cuts in (if no times are being allowed, i will just stick with my tech suit and get every last race I can out of it).

If anyone can point me in the direction of something that says definitively what the answer is, I would appreciate it.

For any swim to qualify you have to notify the referee before the race and fill out a form so that it can be judged under USSwim rules. I do not know the details (I think it is called a POP form) but I am certain that you cannot simply do a swim at a USMS meet and use it as a qualification for a US Meet.

Calvin S
April 23rd, 2010, 11:12 AM
For any swim to qualify you have to notify the referee before the race and fill out a form so that it can be judged under USSwim rules. I do not know the details (I think it is called a POP form) but I am certain that you cannot simply do a swim at a USMS meet and use it as a qualification for a US Meet.

That makes sense. I figured it couldn't be as easy as just showing up to swim.

osterber
April 23rd, 2010, 12:41 PM
The term is "Observed Swim". Since USMS meets are run under the USMS rule book, your swim must be observed by USA Swimming officials, and verified for compliance with USA Swimming rules. Generally, this means no tech suit, and no butterfrog.

I would fully expect that USMS Nationals is approved for observation by USA Swimming. (It appears that the meet is being used as a USA Swimming officials national certification meet.) I expect you'll find information at a check-in table, etc., about specific procedure for that meet.

(USA Swimming officials national certification is a process by which USA Swimming officials become N1/N2/N3 certified at different positions, including stroke & turn, chief judge, starter, referee, and administrative referee. Certain national meets require a certain level of N-level certification. I.e., you can only be a stroke & turn official at Olympic Trials if you have N3 certification as a stroke & turn judge.)

-Rick

Chris Stevenson
April 23rd, 2010, 01:25 PM
You can request observed swims at Atlanta nationals. You need to abide by USA-S rules, which means you can only use the suits legal in USA-S meets (ie, current FINA-approved suits). I think you also need to be a current USA-S member.