PDA

View Full Version : The Taper Lane

ande
April 25th, 2010, 04:12 PM
This is the lane we all crave.
The work is done, the big meet's approaching.
Lot's more hanging out. You can get in late & out early.
Don't need to do much but what you do needs to be really great.
Mostly easy swimming. Some very fast swimming.
Broken races. 25's 50's 75's
Race rehearsals
Race pace
LOTS of rest.
you're gonna start feeling like super man or woman
Don't do stupid stuff.
Don't trust your taper, test your taper.
Do championship performance prep like Rich Abrahams
Big musclely sprint types tend to need more weeks than the skinny distancy divas

there's always lots to talk about in the taper lane

the breastroke lane

The Middle Distance Lane

The Backstroke Lane

The Butterfly Lane

The SDK Lane

The Taper Lane

The Distance Lane

The IM Lane

The Sprint Free Lane

The Pool Deck

That Guy
April 25th, 2010, 04:15 PM
skinny distancy divas

there's always lots to talk about in the taper lane

is any of it true?

Allen Stark
April 25th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I typically have a 3 week taper and the 2nd week is always lousy.I have cut down my work and I should have more energy,but my legs feel like lead , my workouts are poor and I feel more tired after an easy workout than after a hard one in mid-season.I don't know the physiology of this but it happens every time.Also I spend most of the taper worrying about getting sick.

swimmj
April 25th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I typically have a 3 week taper and the 2nd week is always lousy.I have cut down my work and I should have more energy,but my legs feel like lead , my workouts are poor and I feel more tired after an easy workout than after a hard one in mid-season.I don't know the physiology of this but it happens every time.Also I spend most of the taper worrying about getting sick.

I always have a period of feeling awful, doubting everything, worrying about getting sick, about hurting myself (pulling muscle, etc.), and generally being a basket case. I'm much happier during regular training times but if you hit your taper right, you feel like a super hero, capable of anything.

ElaineK
April 25th, 2010, 05:59 PM
OK, taper experts, I can use some advice... :agree:

When should I quit weights to taper for Nationals? From what I have read, it looks like two weeks prior. Do you agree?

How about other dryland exercises and aerobic workouts (treadmill, etc.)? When I joined Masters in February, I was swimming every other day and hitting the gym on alternate days for 50 min. aerobic, followed by weights. The past two weeks I cut back on the gym and increased swimming to 5 days/wk. (I workout 7 days/wk, however, I one of those days is always lighter.)

Any advice on the dryland schedule? By the way, one thing I do EVERY day is stretch. I highly recommend the stretches written up in the Jan-Feb. 2010 issue of Swimmer Mag. I found the article in the back issues on the website and was happy I did! They have been great for improving my streamline in breaststroke and turns. :D

Thanks for your help! :D

SolarEnergy
April 25th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Also I spend most of the taper worrying about getting sick. +1. In fact, everything becomes more worrisome. Getting hydrated, making sure you feed well, sleep well. don't get sick, don't get sick etc.

ElaineK
April 25th, 2010, 08:55 PM
+1. In fact, everything becomes more worrisome. Getting hydrated, making sure you feed well, sleep well. don't get sick, don't get sick etc.

Getting hydrated and making sure I eat well is the eay part. The HARD part is "sleep well". I make sure I'm in bed to get enough sleep and I even fall asleep fast enough. But, STAYING asleep is another issue. Then, once I wake up, getting BACK to sleep. Uggggghhhh! Mostly, it's not even a mental thing; it's physical/ medical issues that get in the way of good :bed:. :bitching:

Couroboros
April 25th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Is it ironic that it's fast becoming good advice to avoid this thread when one tapers?

__steve__
April 25th, 2010, 09:28 PM
I plan to take an extra day off prior, and sleeping 3-4 extra hours just in case I have trouble sleeping the night prior

Calvin S
April 26th, 2010, 10:17 AM
When should I quit weights to taper for Nationals?

i think a lot depends on age, type of lifting being done, and how much you are regularly lifting.

i normally drop weights the week of a big meet, but as far as 3-4 weeks out, i start to switch to lighter weights with fast reps (think explosiveness). i do a lot of box jumps and other exercises that work those fast twitch muscles.

swimmj
April 26th, 2010, 01:49 PM
OK, taper experts, I can use some advice... :agree:

When should I quit weights to taper for Nationals? From what I have read, it looks like two weeks prior. Do you agree?

How about other dryland exercises and aerobic workouts (treadmill, etc.)? When I joined Masters in February, I was swimming every other day and hitting the gym on alternate days for 50 min. aerobic, followed by weights. The past two weeks I cut back on the gym and increased swimming to 5 days/wk. (I workout 7 days/wk, however, I one of those days is always lighter.)

Any advice on the dryland schedule? By the way, one thing I do EVERY day is stretch. I highly recommend the stretches written up in the Jan-Feb. 2010 issue of Swimmer Mag. I found the article in the back issues on the website and was happy I did! They have been great for improving my streamline in breaststroke and turns. :D

Thanks for your help! :D
I would stop doing biking 2 weeks out. I would lift light weights, less reps the week before and then stop the week of. You can still do your core work - planks, situps, etc. Rest is important. Sprinters rest more, older folks rest more, distance folks rest less, younger folks rest less. Women tend to lift closer to the big meet than guys do. Do track how you feel so you can tinker with things for next time if you think you need to.

Hope this helps!

--mj

ElaineK
April 26th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I would stop doing biking 2 weeks out. I would lift light weights, less reps the week before and then stop the week of. You can still do your core work - planks, situps, etc. Rest is important. Sprinters rest more, older folks rest more, distance folks rest less, younger folks rest less. Women tend to lift closer to the big meet than guys do. Do track how you feel so you can tinker with things for next time if you think you need to.

Hope this helps!

--mj

Thanks MJ and everybody else for your advice and feedback. It sounds good to me! :D

ande
April 29th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Blowing Perfect Bubble Rings from the Bottom in the Deep End
is an important taper skill
Here's How (How to Blow Perfect Bubble Rings from the Bottom of the Deep End)

Great Advice Paul Smith's Top 10 Ways to Blow Your Meet

Tip 240 Test Your Taper

as is Tip 102 Don't Do Stupid Stuff

Please don't become the
"Don't Do Stupid Stuff" Poster Child

Please share your Stupid Stuff stories

That Guy
April 29th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Please share your Stupid Stuff stories

Last November I blew my taper by doing 2.5 hours of yard work the day before my taper meet. It was a good news-bad news type of thing. My wife and kids were happy that the yard was cleaned up (particularly the trampoline - the kids bounced for hours) but I had some random muscle soreness the next day and wasn't happy with my times. You'll notice that in this post I now make sure to get yard work done well before the meet. Live and learn :shakeshead:

waves101
April 30th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Ok, what's the advise for double tapers? I know everyone is different and no two tapers are alike but... What are some of the general recommendations for trying to taper for Nationals 5 weeks after a state meet taper?

ande
August 24th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Since we're at the beginning of a new season
I thought I'd bump all the lanes to see which one is winning

It's going to be a while before we are in this lane

Thrashing Slug
September 2nd, 2010, 01:55 PM
Anyone else in this lane?

I started my two-week taper for an upcoming triathlon this week. Only 3 swims this week. 2500 yards on Monday, 2000 yesterday. About 2000 planned for Friday. I'm starting to feel a little spastic. Reading the breaststroke and fly lanes is making me want to swim those strokes, but I shouldn't.

<twitch>

Redbird Alum
September 2nd, 2010, 02:00 PM

Please don't become the
"Don't Do Stupid Stuff" Poster Child

Please, oh PUULEEEEZE tell me there is a poster for this! I would love to buy one for our age group team!

bzaks1424
September 2nd, 2010, 03:29 PM
Please, oh PUULEEEEZE tell me there is a poster for this! I would love to buy one for our age group team!

You could probably pull something from this video
This Might Sting A Little (http://roosterteeth.com/archive/episode.php?id=1486)(RoosterTeeth.com)

BTW -> these guys are hysterical. I recommend all of their short videos if you've had a bad day at work or something:
http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?sid=www

Muppet
September 7th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Anyone else in this lane?

I started my two-week taper for an upcoming triathlon this week. Only 3 swims this week. 2500 yards on Monday, 2000 yesterday. About 2000 planned for Friday. I'm starting to feel a little spastic. Reading the breaststroke and fly lanes is making me want to swim those strokes, but I shouldn't.

<twitch>

Chris, I'm sorta here, as I have a tri this weekend too. But instead of tapering down, I'm kinda ramping up. Went for my first runs since June (1,1,2 mi) last week, and still haven't been on a bike since April. Though I do plan do take it easy with the biking (may as well see if I can still ride, right?) and running this week.

At least with the swimming, I don't see much point in backing too far off for a tri. The most taxing activities for me are the bike and run, so as long as kicking is mostly for stretching out and we're not doing too many sprints, I'm ok with the status quo in the pool, including breast and fly.

Plus lets face it, we're not going to chop off as significant time in our tri's with our swims as we will with good bikes and runs. I'd rather tone those down and save the legs a bit, you know?

ande
December 1st, 2010, 05:28 AM
thought I'd bump all the lanes to the front page to encourage folks to comment in their lanes

fmracing
March 3rd, 2011, 12:35 PM
Its been taper time for me! Since I'm not exactly doing a whole lot of massive yardage anymore there wasn't a huge taper in yardage possible for me.

Still I've tapered off about 40% of the yardage I was doing and changed over to high rest/high speed sets in the last week. This week its all easy warmup and then a 25 sprint or two and some work on quick flipturns then warmdown. Starting to feel pretty good and strong in the water for my focus meet this weekend.

I'm suspecting the taper effect won't be as effective as if I were doing longer workouts during the season but with the shave I'm hoping for at least a 3-5 tenth drop in the 50 free and at least 1 second in the 100 free.

Love taper time :)

:applaud:

swimmerb212
March 3rd, 2011, 07:28 PM
General question - when tapering, do you change your eating habits at all? More, less, about the same?

Could I just be looking for an excuse to have lasagna every day between now and NE Championships? Possible. Quite possible.

fmracing
March 4th, 2011, 12:40 PM
General question - when tapering, do you change your eating habits at all? More, less, about the same?

Could I just be looking for an excuse to have lasagna every day between now and NE Championships? Possible. Quite possible.

I don't change anything during taper. I do eat way more pasta starting about 3 days before the meet.

I don't need an excuse for lasagna... i eat it whenever I can get it :angel:

My mini 6-day taper worked WAY better than I thought. My 50 free relay split this morning felt kinda slow today but I was :eek: when I saw my split was 1.4 seconds faster than my fastest 50 free this year.

Karl_S
March 4th, 2011, 01:47 PM
...My mini 6-day taper worked WAY better than I thought. My 50 free relay split this morning felt kinda slow today but I was :eek: when I saw my split was 1.4 seconds faster than my fastest 50 free this year.
That's great! Please give us lots of details about your taper!

jaadams1
March 4th, 2011, 02:40 PM
I think I'm going to take a dive into the taper lane for today, just prior to me meet. I didn't feel like swimming much yesterday, and maybe had 1500 yards in, though they were crummy yards...
I was planning to make up for it this morning with a good light workout, but instead never heard my alarm go off at all at the normal 4:30am time. Missing swimming wasn't the worst part of it...that was when my body woke up feeling great because I had almost 2 extra hours of sleep than normal. Problem with this is that I start work at 6:30am!!! I woke up 8 minutes before that, called the boss, and rushed off to work.
I'm doing an impromptu drop taper this week for Saturday's SCM meet. Everything should be good though, especially my wiped out muscles. I'll just do a little extra warmup in the meet to stretch out a little more in the morning.

Karl_S
March 4th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I think I'm going to take a dive into the taper lane for today, just prior to me meet. I didn't feel like swimming much yesterday, and maybe had 1500 yards in, though they were crummy yards...
I was planning to make up for it this morning with a good light workout, but instead never heard my alarm go off at all at the normal 4:30am time. Missing swimming wasn't the worst part of it...that was when my body woke up feeling great because I had almost 2 extra hours of sleep than normal. Problem with this is that I start work at 6:30am!!! I woke up 8 minutes before that, called the boss, and rushed off to work.
I'm doing an impromptu drop taper this week for Saturday's SCM meet. Everything should be good though, especially my wiped out muscles. I'll just do a little extra warmup in the meet to stretch out a little more in the morning.
sounds to me like you body knows what it is doing.
Good luck at the meet!

fmracing
March 4th, 2011, 04:32 PM
That's great! Please give us lots of details about your taper!

To start a typical in-season workout for me is this (all SCM)

800 warmup (usually 2x150swim, 200kick , 2x150pull)
4x50 drill

The above is the warmup for 90% of my workouts.

Then I'll do a 1000-1200m main set, and a 100 cool down. Once a week or so I'll go to a 800m main set and 3-400 kicking with a board.

For my taper, I started off last friday and took all kicking out of the remaining workouts.

Last fridays' workout was the 1000 warmup from above then:
3x200m @ 3:00
4x75 @ 1:15 pull
4x25 easy/sprint
5-10 minutes of working flip turns
100 cool down

Sat&Sun no swimming

Monday:
1000 warmup (above)

3x100 @ 1:45 work turns
3x100 @ 2:00 long and strong
4x50 @ 1:00 work turns and buildup 2nd 25
100 cooldown

Monday night i did about 40 practice track starts and less than 100 total yards swimming

Tuesday:
No practice

Tuesday night:
about 500-600 warmup
practiced relay starts

Wednesday:
1000 warmup
2x100 pull @ 2:15
4x50 buildup @ 3:00
4x25 2 buildup/2 sprint with lots of rest (2-3 min)
some turn work
200 cooldown

Thursday:
1000 warmup
6x50 pull drill
2x25 buildup
3-4 race pace turns
400 cooldown

Actually in typical taper fashion i felt kinda crappy in the water on friday/monday. Tuesday/wednesday I put away my drag suits and wore a plain jammer for practice to see if it'd make me feel better in the water. I still fellt kinda crappy in the water. Shaved thursday night and this morning i felt like i had a new pair of arms and legs. Crazy how a tiny taper like that can actually work in some regard. I guess I'd call it a "Rest" more than an actual taper but its all a gray area since 2300m a day to most people would be taper-like :)

Hope that's detailed enough :) It was totally seat-of-the-pants each day as I made it up.

Karl_S
March 6th, 2011, 01:34 PM
[details cut]Hope that's detailed enough :) It was totally seat-of-the-pants each day as I made it up.
Thanks so much for sharing with us. Tapers seem a little tricky and it is always interseting to see what works for people.

aztimm
March 6th, 2011, 02:28 PM

Yes, I eat less as I'm doing less exercise. Don't want to starve myself, but I also don't want to gain any unnecessary weight either, as weight gain can cause my performance to suffer. I try to eat more fruits, veggies, and salads for the last week before an event.

The whole carbo load idea is pretty much just a myth. Yes, it is a good idea to have a little more carbs the day or so prior, but I certainly wouldn't suggest that gives you card blanche to eat an XL pizza yourself in one sitting.

fmracing
March 6th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Thanks so much for sharing with us. Tapers seem a little tricky and it is always interseting to see what works for people.

To be honest its my first time ever creating my own taper. I'd say it went well though.

Final result of this taper with shave:

50y free
previous best this season 23.3
after taper 22.3

100y free
previous best this season 51.5
after taper 49.6

So the taper/shave gave me 1.0 seconds in the 50 and 1.9 in the 100. I'd say it was pretty dang successful even with a training base of 6000-7000y a week :)

swimmerb212
March 6th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Yes, I eat less as I'm doing less exercise. Don't want to starve myself, but I also don't want to gain any unnecessary weight either, as weight gain can cause my performance to suffer. I try to eat more fruits, veggies, and salads for the last week before an event.

The whole carbo load idea is pretty much just a myth. Yes, it is a good idea to have a little more carbs the day or so prior, but I certainly wouldn't suggest that gives you card blanche to eat an XL pizza yourself in one sitting.

If I read 100 articles, and 99 of them say there's not much science behind carbo-loading, I'll still believe that one article that tells me set up camp at the Italian food buffet. Even if I know the research was sponsored by Ronzoni.

But, you're probably right...

fmracing
March 6th, 2011, 10:02 PM
I certainly wouldn't suggest that gives you card blanche to eat an XL pizza yourself in one sitting.

I do this when i'm NOT carb loading :angel:

Carb loading consists of said pizza, and a half pan of lasanga or other pasta in one sitting :)

poolraat
March 7th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I do this when i'm NOT carb loading :angel:

Carb loading consists of said pizza, and a half pan of lasanga or other pasta in one sitting :)

And a bucket full of beer. :bolt:

fmracing
March 7th, 2011, 12:03 PM
And a bucket full of beer. :bolt:

Only on friday and saturday :)

But hey, you don't get a beer gut like mine without buckets o beer :chug:

Karl_S
June 22nd, 2012, 03:01 PM
While web browsing I found this interesting article about tapering:

http://www.ideafit.com/fitness-library/tapering-science-and-practice-0

I found his statement especially interesting (and encouraging):
"In middle-aged and older people, the effects of detraining on muscular strength remain minor compared with the significant decreases seen in younger adults. When older adults reduce training frequency to one session per week, they can maintain their dynamic strength for several months (Hakkinen et al. 2000)."

Allen Stark
June 22nd, 2012, 10:39 PM

http://www.ideafit.com/fitness-library/tapering-science-and-practice-0

"In middle-aged and older people, the effects of detraining on muscular strength remain minor compared with the significant decreases seen in younger adults. When older adults reduce training frequency to one session per week, they can maintain their dynamic strength for several months (Hakkinen et al. 2000)."

This is one of the best papers I've read on tapering.

aquajock
June 26th, 2012, 05:45 PM
This is one of the best papers I've read on tapering.

Originally Posted by Karl_S http://forums.usms.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif

http://www.ideafit.com/fitness-libra...and-practice-0 (http://www.ideafit.com/fitness-library/tapering-science-and-practice-0)

As a fitness professional, I've been a longtime member of IDEA Fit and it is a wonderful fitness/athlete/wellness resource written by some of the most knowledgeable professionals in my field. The magazine is excellent, too.

Allen Stark
November 1st, 2012, 11:46 AM
My next meet is 4 1/2 weeks out and I have not started my taper.Last weekend I was doing clean up around the house which involved moving fairly heavy stuff around.By Sunday night my legs were dead.Monday I did my usual workout of swimming and lifting.Tues. I expected to have heavy arms and legs,but in fact I felt great.I know that if I had done 1/3 that much during taper I'd have felt loggy for a week and would be afraid I'd blown my taper.Anyone with an explanation?

That Guy
November 1st, 2012, 12:48 PM
My next meet is 4 1/2 weeks out and I have not started my taper.Last weekend I was doing clean up around the house which involved moving fairly heavy stuff around.By Sunday night my legs were dead.Monday I did my usual workout of swimming and lifting.Tues. I expected to have heavy arms and legs,but in fact I felt great.I know that if I had done 1/3 that much during taper I'd have felt loggy for a week and would be afraid I'd blown my taper.Anyone with an explanation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercompensation

fmracing
November 1st, 2012, 01:41 PM
My next meet is 4 1/2 weeks out and I have not started my taper.

Eek, I would hope not...

"...I felt great."
An actual observation to the contrary of your assumption. Good.

"...if... I'd... and would..."
Sounds like a bunch of mental uncertainties to me.. and those will slow you down more than a bad taper will ;)

Try to keep your focus on your races rather than how you think you would or might feel in the week(s) leading up to them. Have a good taper plan, and the taper will be there. Don't waste focus with the if's and would's.

"...concentrate, focus, power.... make good fight." - mr miyagi :)