PDA

View Full Version : calories burned during swimming

born2fly
April 26th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Not sure how accurate this is but its interesting to get general idea. For hours swam, if u practice hour and half do 1.5 etc.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/calories-burned-swimming.htm

Karen Duggan
April 27th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Hi Greg-
I couldn't get that to paste correctly.
I was getting so frustrated with my slow weight loss, so I wanted to see how much I was consuming vs. how much I was expending. I don't eat a lot, and not a lot of junk (I don't like chips, donuts, ice-cream, etc. and I'm not a binger type that will pull out something and just eat it all), but my downfall is
soda (2/day).
Anyway, I found that I was consuming, on average, 1000-1200/day, but expending about 600 calories in the water for a workout. And actually I was also running, doing p90X, etc. So on some days I was actually expending more than I was consuming.
I figured out my exact calories by getting a HR monitor that also counts calories burned. This showed me that my treadmill is WAY off. It says I burn more than I do.
Anyway, my point to all of this, is that while those types of websites are helpful to a degree, the best way to figure out your calories burned is to get a monitor that will do yours for you.
If you want to know which one I got you can PM me :D

PS Since January, I have seen a nutritionist, who told me that I don't eat nearly enough. She told me that she was amazed I could function at all, and that my body was starving and storing fat. Nice! I'm working on eating more, but it's hard to do when I've told myself for so long, "don't eat this, don't eat that." The battle rages on with 20 lbs to go :blah:

joshua
April 27th, 2010, 02:08 PM
The following has been proven to be the most effective exercise for weight loss:

- sit in a sturdy chair and position yourself close to the dinner table
- with strong arm movements push yourself away from the table, simultaneously closing your mouth.
- repeat daily

Karen Duggan
April 27th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Cute, but I disagree completely.

jbs
April 27th, 2010, 04:41 PM

+1

I recently lost some weight and found the same type of thing your nutritionist pointed out (at least I think so). I set my diet up so that I'd lose about a pound a week. Well, in the fall, we started to build up the yardage in the pool. Although I was using a tool to calculate calories burned from swimming, I was initially not using it to increase what I was eating. As a result, I ended up a couple of weeks in a row with significant caloric deficits.

I noticed that I felt lethargic, particularly towards the end of practices. I also noticed that my weight was not going down at all. So I made a conscious effort to eat more (i.e., to come closer to the pound a week goal). I got more energy and actually started to see more weight loss. Of course, everyone's different, but I think that if you eat too little, you slow your metabolism down and do not lose the weight.

And to get it back to the OP topic, one thing I've found is that there is a huge discrepancy among calculators about how many calories you burn swimming. I've seen some that will distinguish between freestyle moderate versus vigorous versus 50 yards per minute, versus 75 yards per minute--each of which will give you a different calorie burned number. And each of which strikes me as somewhat subjective. After all, it would seem to me that someone who can easily hold 75 yards per minute is burning fewer calories than someone who is sprinting all out for that 75 yards in a minute.

Karen Duggan
April 27th, 2010, 05:20 PM
jbs- I agree. That's why the HR monitor was great. You enter your ht, wt, age, gender, etc. It is specific for you. It also told me what zone I was in using my HR. I found out that my HR goes really high when I swim, but quickly comes down to a very healthy number :)

Because I'm a number nerd, I wrote down my calories/HR in a book. Here are some random entries from Jan-March when I got sick of writing it down!
2/19 swam 3:45 min burned 1400 (119-171)
2/22 swam 1:11 min burned 625 (139-181)
*interestingly on 2/24 I had a migraine and in 42 min I burned 378 but my HR was sky high (up to 209 with resting 148)
3/3 swam about 3:15 burned 1274 (over 3 practices) HR 129-172
3/5 swam 2:38 burned 885 HR 124-210 (at WCM Training Camp)
2/10 swam 26 min burned 165 HR 121-148 (I think I just swam ez)

Anyway, :blah:, but it's fun to see. It makes sense why I wasn't losing wt, if I wasn't even close to consuming enough calories.

aztimm
April 27th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Karen--could you post or PM me the type of HR monitor you use for swimming? I use a Garmin system with HR monitor for running, and I always am interested in looking through all the data afterward.

TimJ
April 27th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Attached is a spreadsheet I'd been toying with. I had intended to include a significantly greater number of exercises, but never got around to it (as is often the case with my little projects).

...Not that it would be any more helpful than the multitude of free online calculators out there.

Who's got an endless pool and a metabolic cart they don't mind getting wet?

philoswimmer
April 27th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I'm interested in that HR monitor, too. It sounds very cool.

joshua
April 27th, 2010, 11:52 PM

Yea, I get that alot.

Seriously, it appears that proper nutrition is 60%-70% of the nutrition/exercise equation in weight reduction. That means eating healthy and eating less. A good way to go is to establish your current caloric intake and reduce not more than 10%.

Exercise is important but swimming is not the most effective activity for weight reduction. If one's goal is strictly weight reduction then there are more effective modes. We all see great swimmers at the pool who are overweight. I don't think that there are great overweight runners.

Theoretically, one could keep caloric intake stable and exercise more. The problem with that for adults is that we usually have busy lives and many constraints that prevent that. Also, as we get older our bodies can only take a certain amount of training.

Alot of people say they want to reduce weight but are not willing to pay the price. That's me. I weigh about 94kg. (about 207lbs.) at 1.88m. (6"2). I would like to weigh 90kg. but do not have the nutritional discipline to achieve the goal.

Rykno
April 28th, 2010, 05:05 AM
last week thursday I ate a 8000 calorie hamburger, so no matter how you calculate it I need to swim over 8 hrs just for that one meal ;)

joshua
April 28th, 2010, 10:22 AM
last week thursday I ate a 8000 calorie hamburger, so no matter how you calculate it I need to swim over 8 hrs just for that one meal ;)

I take it you mean 800 calories.

Anyway I had a similar experience a few days ago. On Sat. morning I had a good swim session. Later that day we went to a high class hamburger restaurant and I had a 300gr. all beef burger on a bun with onions. And a small Coke. And a little ice cream. Next morning I weighed 1 kg.. more than on Sat. morning. On Sun. I didn't work out but ate normally. On Mon. morning I was back down to my usual 94kg.

DPC
April 28th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Hi Greg-
PS Since January, I have seen a nutritionist, who told me that I don't eat nearly enough. She told me that she was amazed I could function at all, and that my body was starving and storing fat.

There are sites that help you determine your base caloric intake - the total amount to maintain your weight at its current level. Then you cut back by 350-500 calories (or something like that) to lose a pound of weight either by exercise or eating less. It is interesting that by cutting way back, on eating , as you found out, you actually trick your body into doing the opposite of what you want. There is a fine balance, that's why they recommend that you only shoot to lose at a rate of 1 or 2 lbs a week. Soda used to be my big vice too, but I moved to sparkling water then to plain water and I don't miss it all that much.

Flurpo
April 28th, 2010, 11:51 AM
:afraid: Unfortuneately, I have discovered that I just don't burn enough calories in the water for the amount of effort I put in. Running is the only way I've ever been able to loose weight. I still love the pool but for some reason I just can't loose the weight swimming that I do running. Not sure why.....I certainly put the effort into my pool workouts...

Karen Duggan
April 28th, 2010, 12:05 PM
The HR monitor I got was a Polar F90. It's a pink watch w/black strap. Someone on another site suggested it, and it was perfect for my needs. I'm sure they have a comparable model in something other than pink!
I got it at www.heartratemonitorsusa.com. I shopped around on several different sites and they were the cheapest, no tax, no shipping, and I got it in 2 days :)
This site has all different brands and models.

Tim- my hubby has a Garmin too that does everything but the laundry! He really likes it for when he runs because we live in a very hilly area and he likes to see the amount of effort expended, etc. I'm not that fancy.

Flurpo- I agree, swimming does not help me lose wt. I can maintain it great, but I need to run to lose wt. The only way I lose wt swimming is if I kick up my yardage to over 7000 yds. I can't do that with four kids (the month of March excepted when I do March Madness!). I think my body has adapted quite well to 'aquatic expenditure' in 30 years of swimming, so it doesn't really think swimming is 'exercise'. Running, that's another story!

Joshua- I remember reading an article in a Tri magazine where some guy was complaining because overweight females were beating him in the pool. He was a runner. He didn't get the difference in the two sports. The editor told the guy that "maybe she's just a better swimmer than you," and left it at that. I laughed.

Rykno
April 28th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I take it you mean 800 calories.

actually a 2lb (900g) 30% fat 4 patty hamburger with Mayo and 4 slices cheese from http://www.heartattackgrill.com/index.html

they claim it was 8,000 calories, I also had a coke and fries.

I've got a picture posted on FB
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4460054&op=3&o=all&view=all&subj=242727113659&aid=-1&oid=242727113659&id=519701618&fbid=387928936618

qbrain
April 28th, 2010, 12:46 PM
actually a 2lb (900g) 30% fat 4 patty hamburger with Mayo and 4 slices cheese from http://www.heartattackgrill.com/index.html

You should have gotten a milkshake and chili cheese fries.

Rykno
April 28th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I had 17 teenagers with me, the girls went shopping after and the guys went to DQ for shakes.

swimmj
April 28th, 2010, 01:18 PM
The HR monitor I got was a Polar F90. It's a pink watch w/black strap. Someone on another site suggested it, and it was perfect for my needs. I'm sure they have a comparable model in something other than pink!
I got it at www.heartratemonitorsusa.com (http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com). I shopped around on several different sites and they were the cheapest, no tax, no shipping, and I got it in 2 days :)

Tim- my hubby has a Garmin too that does everything but the laundry! He really likes it for when he runs because we live in a very hilly area and he likes to see the amount of effort expended, etc. I'm not that fancy.

Flurpo- I agree, swimming does not help me lose wt. I can maintain it great, but I need to run to lose wt. The only way I lose wt swimming is if I kick up my yardage to over 7000 yds. I can't do that with four kids (the month of March excepted when I do March Madness!). I think my body has adapted quite well to 'aquatic expenditure' in 30 years of swimming, so it doesn't really think swimming is 'exercise'. Running, that's another story!

Joshua- I remember reading an article in a Tri magazine where some guy was complaining because overweight females were beating him in the pool. He was a runner. He didn't get the difference in the two sports. The editor told the guy that "maybe she's just a better swimmer than you," and left it at that. I laughed.

I also find that I lose weight when working on my diet and running. Not so much with swimming, as I think it stimulates my appetite more and I'm so much more effective in the water.

One thing on your diet - I find I can't lose weight if my overall calorie count is too low and especially if my fat intake is too low. If I add a bit of olive oil and some nuts into my diet, my body seems to believe it's not in a famine and will regulate better. It's something to consider and try - I fully believe that we are all a bit different and your body likely has it's own ideal mix of food.

Karen Duggan
April 28th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I also find that I lose weight when working on my diet and running. Not so much with swimming, as I think it stimulates my appetite more and I'm so much more effective in the water.

One thing on your diet - I find I can't lose weight if my overall calorie count is too low and especially if my fat intake is too low. If I add a bit of olive oil and some nuts into my diet, my body seems to believe it's not in a famine and will regulate better. It's something to consider and try - I fully believe that we are all a bit different and your body likely has it's own ideal mix of food.

Yep. I have added more nuts and things that I thought were no-nos. One key point I took away from the nutritionist is that I can't be on a diet. I need to just add more food to my day. I'm eating fine (except for the soda), I just need to add more.
Another key element to my storage of fat, according to her, was not getting adequate sleep. My kids were all horrible sleepers. On average I get about 6 hours of sleep per night and it's usually broken sleep. The "baby" who's now 2 still wakes up once/night, and while he'll get himself back to sleep, I still woke up :badday: I forget what hormones she said that this effects, but one is an appetite suppressant and I forget what the other one did. She said that partly explains why I don't eat enough...

Anyway, I've learned a lot. The number one thing for me was that swimming does not help weight loss per se, even though I burn a lot of calories, but it is good at maintaining my weight.
I wonder how many master's swimmers agree? I should put a poll. Maybe I will do just that. :agree:

LindsayNB
April 28th, 2010, 02:31 PM
The New York Times has an interesting article on the complexities of exercise, appetite and weight loss:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/magazine/18exercise-t.html?scp=1&sq=exercise%20and%20appetite&st=cse

Karen Duggan
April 28th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Hi Lindsay,
I think someone else posted that somewhere too.
I don't like that article at all because my original theory was the same: eat less, exercise more = weight loss. WRONG. This article doesn't get into all of the complexities there are to weight loss in much detail, but thanks for posting it. :)

LindsayNB
April 28th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I found the article gave as many theories as the "experts" it quoted, but found a few things interesting:

The effects of exercise on the appetite and energy systems, however, are by no means consistent. In one study presented last year at the annual conference of the American College of Sports Medicine, when healthy young men ran for an hour and a half on a treadmill at a fairly high intensity, their blood concentrations of acylated ghrelin fell, and food held little appeal for the rest of that day. Exercise blunted their appetites. A study that Braun oversaw and that was published last year by The American Journal of Physiology had a slightly different outcome. In it, 18 overweight men and women walked on treadmills in multiple sessions while either eating enough that day to replace the calories burned during exercise or not. Afterward, the men displayed little or no changes in their energy-regulating hormones or their appetites, much as in the other study. But the women uniformly had increased blood concentrations of acylated ghrelin and decreased concentrations of insulin after the sessions in which they had eaten less than they had burned. Their bodies were directing them to replace the lost calories. In physiological terms, the results “are consistent with the paradigm that mechanisms to maintain body fat are more effective in women,” Braun and his colleagues wrote. In practical terms, the results are scientific proof that life is unfair. Female bodies, inspired almost certainly “by a biological need to maintain energy stores for reproduction,” Braun says, fight hard to hold on to every ounce of fat. Exercise for many women (and for some men) increases the desire to eat.

On the other hand, if you can somehow pry off the pounds, exercise may be the most important element in keeping the weight off. “When you look at the results in the National Weight Control Registry,” Braun says, “you see over and over that exercise is one constant among people who’ve maintained their weight loss.” About 90 percent of the people in the registry who have shed pounds and kept them at bay worked out, a result also seen in recent studies.

But the exercising rats metabolized calories differently. They tended to burn fat immediately after their meals, while the sedentary rats’ bodies preferentially burned carbohydrates and sent the fat off to be stored in fat cells. The running rats’ bodies, meanwhile, also produced signals suggesting that they were satiated and didn’t need more kibble. Although the treadmill exercisers regained some weight, their relapses were not as extreme. Exercise “re-established the homeostatic steady state between intake and expenditure to defend a lower body weight,” the study authors concluded. Running had remade the rats’ bodies so that they ate less.

Atlantic
April 28th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Hi Lindsay,
I think someone else posted that somewhere too.
I don't like that article at all because my original theory was the same: eat less, exercise more = weight loss. WRONG. This article doesn't get into all of the complexities there are to weight loss in much detail, but thanks for posting it. :)

Karen,
How many more calories did your nutritionist ask you to add in per day? I've been trying to keep my intake around 1200, but I've kinda hit a plateau and still have more to lose. I feel like I should find a nutritionist for some help too.

Karen Duggan
April 28th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Hi Atlantic-
When I first went to see her I was consuming between 800-1000 calories per day. She said I needed to be closer to 2000 with as much as I was working out (2-4 hours/day- running, P90X, swimming), but that I should shoot for eating 1200/day for 2 weeks, and then add slowly from there.

I looked on-line specifically for a sports nutritionist and found that she works with a lot of swimmers, so she "gets it". :bliss:
She also asked that at my next physical that my NP check for certain labs, I can look them up for you if you want to know what they are.

Atlantic
April 28th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Hi Atlantic-
When I first went to see her I was consuming between 800-1000 calories per day. She said I needed to be closer to 2000 with as much as I was working out (2-4 hours/day- running, P90X, swimming), but that I should shoot for eating 1200/day for 2 weeks, and then add slowly from there.

I looked on-line specifically for a sports nutritionist and found that she works with a lot of swimmers, so she "gets it". :bliss:
She also asked that at my next physical that my NP check for certain labs, I can look them up for you if you want to know what they are.

WOW! I did not expect for you to say double! That is amazing. That would be great about the info on the labs! Judging by what you said, it sounds like I need to go see a nutritionist. I don't know how you managed to do 800 - I'm still hungry after 1200! ;)
How long have you been eating around 2000? Have you noticed a difference?

philoswimmer
April 28th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I got it at www.heartratemonitorsusa.com (http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com). I shopped around on several different sites and they were the cheapest, no tax, no shipping, and I got it in 2 days :)

Wah, that model doesn't seem to be on the site anymore. Do you mind sharing what features you liked about it? I can try to figure out what the next closest thing is. I don't know a thing about heart rate monitors, but I'm very curious to track my heart rate while I swim.

joshua
April 28th, 2010, 10:13 PM

I've got a picture posted on FB
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4460054&op=3&o=all&view=all&subj=242727113659&aid=-1&oid=242727113659&id=519701618&fbid=387928936618

Thank you for making me feel better about myself.

Karen Duggan
April 29th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Atlantic-
I am not eating 2000 cal/day. I'm between 1000-1500 right now. I don't think I could eat 2000 unless we went out to eat. I'm a lot less "fuzzy" when I eat more. I have way more energy. My wt is still the same. You have to understand too, that the winter has been really weird for me.
In Jan I swam (81,000) and ran and did P90X a lot. Lost 8 lbs.
In Feb I swam 61,000 and was sick for an entire 2 weeks and only swam 3x during those 2 weeks.
In March I swam 313,000 and did nothing else. Got sick again, but swam anyway as I had a goal to achieve :D
I know after Nationals, when I start running again, that the rest of this weight will come off really quickly. I just get so frustrated b/c I want to do more than swim right now, but that won't lend itself to a good Nationals
:blah: sorry to ramble, but I don't want to seem like I'm complaining about my wt, I know it will go away, I'm just not able to make that happen right now :)

rmillstein-
It's a regular HR monitor that also counts calories- that's it. The features I can think of (that I didn't look for specifically) are that it stores your data, in a file, for up to 13 workouts and then deletes the oldest info first. There is also a way to download it to your computer, but I just wrote the info I wanted into my little book.
When I got it, it took me about 2 minutes to type in: age, M/F, wt, and ht. It automatically knew my HR zones based on that info. One thing though, be sure as you lose wt, to change the wt in the watch. There is a difference in calories burned.
One other thing I thought was interesting is that it tells you how much of the calories you burned was fat. For example, 40% fat burned. I'm still not quite sure how that works, so if someone could enlighten me I'd appreciate it.

philoswimmer
April 29th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Atlantic-
rmillstein-
It's a regular HR monitor that also counts calories- that's it. The features I can think of (that I didn't look for specifically) are that it stores your data, in a file, for up to 13 workouts and then deletes the oldest info first. There is also a way to download it to your computer, but I just wrote the info I wanted into my little book.
When I got it, it took me about 2 minutes to type in: age, M/F, wt, and ht. It automatically knew my HR zones based on that info. One thing though, be sure as you lose wt, to change the wt in the watch. There is a difference in calories burned.
One other thing I thought was interesting is that it tells you how much of the calories you burned was fat. For example, 40% fat burned. I'm still not quite sure how that works, so if someone could enlighten me I'd appreciate it.

Thank you -- that's helpful!

Karen Duggan
April 29th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Hey r-
I'm sorry. My HR monitor is the Polar F6. Sorry for the confusion!
I have never been able to get it to work as a stopwatch though =(

philoswimmer
April 29th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Hey r-
I'm sorry. My HR monitor is the Polar F6. Sorry for the confusion!
I have never been able to get it to work as a stopwatch though =(

Ah, ok! Thanks again!

FireRox21
April 30th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Karen, do you wear the chest strap that goes with the HRM? I am really looking at buying a Polar F6, but am concerned about it's water resistance. Does the chest strap run small and is it uncomfortable under a swim suit?

joshua
April 30th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Karen, do you wear the chest strap that goes with the HRM? I am really looking at buying a Polar F6, but am concerned about it's water resistance. Does the chest strap run small and is it uncomfortable under a swim suit?

Yes, the watch is water resistant. As to the strap: one of the early morning regulars at our pool swims with a Polar HR monitor. He does so because in the past he had a heart attack (before he became a fitness swimmer). He says that he has no problem with the strap but I wonder if the same would be true for a woman. Also he doesn't do a flip turn.

philoswimmer
April 30th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Yes, the watch is water resistant. As to the strap: one of the early morning regulars at our pool swims with a Polar HR monitor. He does so because in the past he had a heart attack (before he became a fitness swimmer). He says that he has no problem with the strap but I wonder if the same would be true for a woman. Also he doesn't do a flip turn.

Would the HRM work without using the strap? I too have strap worries.

sjstuart
April 30th, 2010, 11:54 AM
The HRM won't work without wearing the strap. (The strap is how it measures your heart rate. The heart rate is how it estimated the calories you burn.)

The strap should work fine under a woman's suit. For men, it tends to roll down the chest when swimming at fast pace, or especially when pushing off walls.

Karen Duggan
April 30th, 2010, 12:07 PM
When you order it you get to choose the strap size. They give you 3 choices and the inches for each size. I ordered a small, and they sent me a small and a medium.

I have never had a problem with the strap in the water. My hubby has worn the strap with a regular brief suit in workout and never had a problem. You just make it tight. It doesn't hurt being tight b/c the strap is so stretchy.

I specifically got the HR monitor for swimming, b/c I wanted to know how many calories I burned in a w/out.

PS We do flipturns. The only thing I haven't done with it, is dive. With "the girls" I don't think a dive would move the strap, but men might have it slide down with a dive.

joshua
April 30th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Would the HRM work without using the strap? I too have strap worries.

No. The monitor has a receiver (the watch on your wrist) and the transmitter which is pressed against your heart by the strap. The strap is adjustable.

arthur
April 30th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I am not an expert by any means but as no one else answered I will try to give this a shot. The body has a bunch of different energy pathways it uses for exercise. The length of time you exercise and your heart rate determine what energy pathways are used. Endurance training with a heart rate of around 60% of max is supposed to burn a higher % of fat then more intense exercise.

This doesn't necessarily mean that long distance training is the best for fat loss however. Endurance training may burn more fat while you are actually exercising but as it doesn't often put as much stress on your muscles causing your metabolism will quickly return to normal. Doing sprints puts a lot of stress on your muscles which can increase your metabolism for 1-2 days while your body repairs. This is why you may find that you can sit around all day eating at a swim meet and only spend a few minutes racing but still manage to lose a pound. Weight lifting is also great for putting lots of stress on your muscles and increasing your metabolism.

As others have said eating healthy fats is also really important. Your body needs to get at least 20% of it's energy from fats. I try to eat raw almonds and walnuts every day. I did a wellness program with work that promoted drinking lots of water, getting at least 7 hours of sleep, reducing stress, eating healthy fats, reducing saturated and trans-fats, increasing the number of meals but reducing meal size, reducing processed foods and refined sugars, reducing red meat intake etc. I lost about 15 lbs and am now at my target body weight.

FireRox21
April 30th, 2010, 05:19 PM
When you order it you get to choose the strap size. They give you 3 choices and the inches for each size. I ordered a small, and they sent me a small and a medium.

I have never had a problem with the strap in the water. My hubby has worn the strap with a regular brief suit in workout and never had a problem. You just make it tight. It doesn't hurt being tight b/c the strap is so stretchy.

I specifically got the HR monitor for swimming, b/c I wanted to know how many calories I burned in a w/out.

PS We do flipturns. The only thing I haven't done with it, is dive. With "the girls" I don't think a dive would move the strap, but men might have it slide down with a dive.

Thanks so much for the info. I've been monitoring my weight loss by watching calories through the website you recommended (MFP) and so far it's working, but I'm kinda at a plateau, so I think a HRM with calorie burn output would help me kick it up. I was wondering about what size strap to get too. I do flip turns, but don't think I'll have a problem with a tight strap and my suit to hold it and "the girls" in place! :)

Karen Duggan
May 1st, 2010, 02:31 AM
Good for you Fire! That's great. It was actually that site that someone recommended the HR monitor I suggested. Small world. Keep up your efforts, it's worth it.

Thanks Arthur. That's what someone else had told me too. Makes sense. There were some days that were just LONG, boring swims and I seemed to burn more calories, but without much effort.
Aren't forums great for learning new things?
:bliss:

marksman
May 1st, 2010, 10:47 PM
I added double workouts on a few days a week, and I also swim on either saturday or sunday. That has been the only way for me to get my weight down, and even then it's been a slow process (15 lbs in about 4 months). However, I like swimming, so it works out ok.

It's worth looking at the calories of the foods that you think might not be a source of problems. A burrito, for example, can contain more than 1000 calories. I was eating a burrito for lunch each day, without even realizing that it had more calories than an entire dinner should contain.