PDA

View Full Version : John White

DaveBright
April 27th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Those of us who swim in and around Maine lost a great friend and role model when John White died earlier this month, just short of his 94th birthday. John was the guy we have all seen or met at meets and thought "that's what I want to be like when I'm that age".

In the pool, John had 79 USMS Top 10 rankings, making at least one every year from 1993 through 2009. I'm sure he had looked ahead to check out the competition and records for the 95-99 age group. In 1936, John was a member of the first Bates College swim team, coached by his father at the local 20 yard YMCA pool. He continued to swim every day at Bates and was a loyal fan and friend of the team, attending several meets this season.

John retired from dairy farming and in addition to his daily swimming pursued gardening, eventually developing new hybrid varieties if iris and winning national recognitions there as well. He traveled the world doing genealogical research and was considered a leading local expert in birding.

Most of us in Masters swimming spend some time thinking about the aging process. John showed us how it can be done - with a daily sense of adventure, excitement and curiosity, surrounded by loving family and friends.

TRYM_Swimmer
April 28th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Great story; wish I would have met him! Reminds me of my mother-in-law who swam until 91 and congestive heart failure and broken hips, and passed at 93.

We've had ours lives enriched by knowing someone like that.

Karen Duggan
April 28th, 2010, 01:06 PM
I am sorry for your loss.

Patricia Prevetz, on our team, celebrated her 89th birthday on Monday. She is still going strong. She is a 20 year old at heart with the body of a 60 year old. We, too, all commented how we want to be her. Still "with it" and able to swim. Masters swimming is a good thing.

Again, I'm sorry.