PDA

View Full Version : Need Help In Choosing Team Name

SwimFast43
May 1st, 2010, 05:37 PM
Thought maybe some of you here could help me out with a slight problem. Seems our local athletic club is starting a youth swim team but we can't seem to find a name. They used to be called the Marlins as at the end of the pool we have a huge Marlin on the wall for our mascot but when the club shut down the team a long time ago another local team grabbed the name and we cannot use it anymore.

We still want to use the Marlin as our logo but does anyone have any ideas as to a cool name that still represents a Marlin fish? Open to suggestions and if I like any of them I will tell the coach on Monday.

Thanks.

fatboy
May 2nd, 2010, 01:34 AM
spearfish
sailfish
Blue Marlins
Brandos

SullyIM
May 2nd, 2010, 09:54 AM
Deep Sea Aquatics

That Guy
May 2nd, 2010, 11:12 AM
THE MONKEES!

what, is that already taken?

elise526
May 2nd, 2010, 01:48 PM
Swordfish

Leonard Jansen
May 2nd, 2010, 01:48 PM
Use one of these Latin names:

Family Istiophoridae

* Genus Istiophorus
o Istiophorus albicans Atlantic Sailfish
o Istiophorus platypterus Indo-Pacific Sailfish
* Genus Makaira
o Makaira indica Black Marlin
o Makaira mazara Indo-Pacific Blue Marlin
o Makaira nigricans Atlantic Blue Marlin
* Genus Tetrapturus
o Tetrapturus albidus Atlantic White Marlin
o Tetrapturus angustirostris Shortbill Spearfish
o Tetrapturus audax Striped Marlin
o Tetrapturus belone Mediterranean Spearfish
o Tetrapturus georgii Roundscale Spearfish
o Tetrapturus pfluegeri Longbill Spearfish

I guarantee that none of those names are taken in your area.

-LBJ

chowmi
May 2nd, 2010, 05:04 PM
The Coelacanths: We make our competition extinct!!!

rodent
May 2nd, 2010, 05:24 PM
In NJ we don't see many sharks, but when you are swimmimg OW you don't want to have a close encounter with a Bluefish, or, a school of Bluefish. They are common, fast swimming, sport fish.
One of the local high schools is nicknamed the "Green Wave". For some reason I've always liked the name.

SolarEnergy
May 2nd, 2010, 05:44 PM
I am a Frenchy so not sure I am relevant in this contest, but just to challenge Gull a bit ( :) ).....

I think some expression having the word Spears would sound cool. Flying Spears. Or any other metaphor to qualify a Marlin (your first pick after all). Could you go as far as The Predators? If it's what the kids like about Marlin, their ability to chase and get other fishes, then why not. If you could find such a name, that makes your logo still 100% relevant, it becomes even more relevant as it adds up to the team name. The two together (name and logo) makes everything crystal clear.

Bluefish would also be awesome. So would these Latin words.

ElaineK
May 2nd, 2010, 06:55 PM
Forget the marlin on the wall and use my husband's nickname for me, "Aqua Dog". :D OK, forget it; it's an inside joke and I don't mind at all being called a "dog"!

OK, forget the marlin on the wall and call the team the "Dolphins". Talkin' about FAST! :agree: