PDA

View Full Version : Difference in recovery between tapered vs. non-tapered meets

want2beafish
May 3rd, 2010, 03:13 PM
Just wondering if any of you have experienced a difference in your recovery between tapered and non-tapered meets. This weekend I swam my first truly non-tapered meet. My times weren't that far off my best times, which was fairly encouraging. However, I did notice that on the second day of the meet I was more fatigued than I normally am on the second day of meets, with other variables being similar. And today I had a particularly crappy practice -- couldn't hit intervals that normally wouldn't be a problem for me, even the day after most meets. Should I be concerned, with Nationals two and a half weeks from now? Or is this to be expected and the result of not tapering for this meet?

I think I'm probably obsessing too much. Nats nerves, I guess. :)

Lump
May 3rd, 2010, 03:41 PM
Nope, no worries Kristin. Don't forget you swam the 1650 on day one and the 500 on day two....those two alone are more than my combined weekend was.

I felt decent this AM, but I am totally bonking this afternoon at work. I'm so tired and need a nap BAD! Once we start tapering you will have almost TOO MUCH energy.

want2beafish
May 3rd, 2010, 05:01 PM
Jeff, this meet just took a lot more out of me than usual. I'm hoping that it's because I didn't taper for it. It probably didn't help that I wanted to stay on schedule with weights and running so I went to the gym yesterday afternoon after the drive back from Clemson. :)

I guess we both just need some good food and a nap!

swimcat
May 3rd, 2010, 07:25 PM
i took a nap today.
i never nap. he is hammering us, before the taper. since i am only doing 50's, i will taper like a 200.
i can't wait for wed. day off:)

want2beafish
May 3rd, 2010, 09:01 PM
I don't mind the hammering, as we need it this week... but I missed intervals today that I shouldn't have. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

I'm actually glad that the water was cold. I probably would have puked if it had been warm today.

Can I take Wednesday off, too? :)

swimshark
May 4th, 2010, 07:36 AM
I used to be fatigued at meets a lot but I started to drink a protein drink after longer events and the final event of the day. I've found I can recover much quicker and the 2nd day of the meet is much easier for me. I also drink protein after every practice and I find I'm not as sore, especially after hard, sprint practices.

want2beafish
May 4th, 2010, 08:15 AM
That's a good idea about the protein... I try to eat a snack of about 4:1 carbs to protein after long events, but on Saturday I wasn't so good about eating right after the meet. There was a semi-major panic as I was out of town and couldn't find my keys, so that definitely could have affected my recovery from the first day of the meet as it was a while before I ate. My 500 the next day was lackluster -- my 50 splits were almost the same as they had been for the mile the day before. I'll have to pay extra attention to that at Nationals.

Lump
May 4th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I used to be fatigued at meets a lot but I started to drink a protein drink after longer events and the final event of the day. I've found I can recover much quicker and the 2nd day of the meet is much easier for me. I also drink protein after every practice and I find I'm not as sore, especially after hard, sprint practices.

I eat alot of protein as well. I always eat within 30-45 minutes after my morning workout (and my body definitely lets me know if I'm late). Then about 10:30 or so I eat a protien meal replacement bar and a Gatorade. I try to eat 5 or so smaller meals a day. I have a fairly slow metabolism and not the body type to eat 3 squares a day.

jbs
May 4th, 2010, 09:22 AM
There have been a few studies that have shown that chocolate milk is a good recovery drink.

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/superfoods/chocolate-milk-after-workout/

At my last meet (the New England Championships at Harvard), I made sure to drink chocolate milk after I finished my cool down swims for most of my events, though particularly the longer ones. It seemed to help stave off fatigue, particularly towards the end of the day, though YMMV.

swimshark
May 4th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I've heard chocolate milk is as good as the pre-mixed drinks. But.. at a pool it's not always available. I drink Protein Plus which I get at Target. It's grape flavored and is pretty good. The key is to drink it within 20 min to be most effective. Once I get home, I have a banana for the carbs. Our team uses ART stretching and the same woman has been giving us good nutrition advice which has been helping me (and others). I've gotten this from her and my recovery from hard practices has been a lot easier lately.

jbs
May 4th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I've heard chocolate milk is as good as the pre-mixed drinks. But.. at a pool it's not always available. I drink Protein Plus which I get at Target. It's grape flavored and is pretty good. The key is to drink it within 20 min to be most effective. Once I get home, I have a banana for the carbs. Our team uses ART stretching and the same woman has been giving us good nutrition advice which has been helping me (and others). I've gotten this from her and my recovery from hard practices has been a lot easier lately.

Yeah, that is a problem with chocolate milk. Meant to mention that I brought a few small containers of the kind that you don't have to refrigerate with me, which seemed to work fine, for me at least. Of course, I do have a few friends who don't like uht milk and won't drink it.

At any event, getting something right after a hard swim (as you say, within 20 minutes) really does seem to make a big difference in speeding recovery.

Lump
May 4th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Chocolate milk is good, but I wouldn't drink it at a meet unless it was after my last event. It wouldn't be the best thing for my stomach during a meet. I just stick to Gatorade and Met-Rx Big 100 Bars from Wal-Mart and Bananas. My diet doesn't vary all that much during training so I'm gonna keep the same eating habits at Nationals.

want2beafish
May 4th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Funny. I used to pay much more attention to immediate recovery nutrition when I used to do triathlons. It was chocolate milk or Endurox within 10-15 minutes of finishing my workout. Now that I'm mainly swimming, I'm not as vigilant. Maybe because the long races in swimming take me 20 minutes to finish as opposed to long races of 11-12 hours in triathlon... But I do know that it's just as important as I'm utilizing different energy systems.

My initial question had me wondering if there was a difference between non-tapered and tapered meets when it comes to recovery. Now I'm thinking that I need to pay more attention to recovery nutrition at the end of the day as opposed to just after the individual races in ALL meets, and that I'm just able to "fake it" better during and after tapered meets. I think it also boils down to me being a bit calorie conscious. I recently lost 25 pounds and have no intention of putting it back on. :afraid:

sjstuart
May 5th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I'm also having a tougher time recovering after my non-taper meet last weekend. But I rarely taper for a meet, so that's not the reason for me. I'm just chalking it up to being overtrained. Taper for Nationals can't come too soon for me...