PDA

View Full Version : Excited for very first open water swim

ShellLynn
May 4th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I am so excited that I had to share my news. I am going to be in my first open water swim event, its the Cocos Crossing in Guam a 2.5 mile swim on May 30th. I am so very excited about this and I'm training harder than ever, especially since I have never been in an event (I swim for the sheer love of it) and since I've been out of the water for a couple of years.

To the seasoned open water swimmers: Do you have any tips or advice for a newbie?

Thanks for reading all!

debaru
May 5th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Hi, Michelle. Welcome to the forum.

I just participated in my first open water event last weekend and share your excitement. Since I am still technically an open water "newbie", the only advice I can offer is to go out there and have fun. :)

I looked up your event and the course you'll be swimming looks fabulous. I hope to swim an event in water that clear someday.

Enjoy your swim and let us know how it went.

mjtyson
May 5th, 2010, 04:11 AM
I'll be joining you guys soon. I'm swimming the Jim McDonnell 1-mile swim in Virginia at the end of this month. I can't wait!

debaru
May 5th, 2010, 10:25 AM
During my first swim, sighting was the biggest challenge for me. I came across a nice video on the subject that I've found to be helpful.

YouTube- Sighting for Open Water Swimming with swim-art.com

floswimmer
May 6th, 2010, 10:46 PM
I am so excited that I had to share my news. I am going to be in my first open water swim event, its the Cocos Crossing in Guam a 2.5 mile swim on May 30th. I am so very excited about this and I'm training harder than ever, especially since I have never been in an event (I swim for the sheer love of it) and since I've been out of the water for a couple of years.

To the seasoned open water swimmers: Do you have any tips or advice for a newbie?

Thanks for reading all!
:angel:Enjoy the total experience!!! I stay in the back on the outside; I'm not fast. Practice sighting; stay focused on your own pace. Keep a Sense of Humor:):cheerleader:

ShellLynn
May 6th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement. I am definitely going out for fun.

Thank you so much for the video it was quite helpful, I'm sure I will watch it a couple more times before my event.

chefster
May 11th, 2010, 02:02 PM
So cool. Be rested and fueled. take the first couple hundred easy and stretch out and glide...you can kick some butt at the end.
First open water swim, what a great feeling.

E=H2O
May 11th, 2010, 02:05 PM
I began my swimming life in open water as a kid. I did it for the sheer fun of it. I still do. Good luck and have fun. Make sure you do a few swims of that distance before the race. Ok to do them in the pool, but do them hard.

ShellLynn
May 14th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Thanks everyone I really do appreciate your thoughts and encouragement. I have been doing some open water swims here in our harbor about 3 days a week and its about a mile each day. I am really enjoying my open water swims and I can't wait for my event..its only 15 days away.