PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for store and pools

mjtyson
May 5th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Hello!
I will be in the DC area the last week of May and will be shopping for a (hopefully FINA-approved) wetsuit/technical suit for open water swims. Anyone have a suggestion for a store where I can try them on? I'll be staying on Bolling AFB (off I-295), but will have a rental car (and I've been stationed there before and PV is my "home" LMSC.

Secondly, anyone know of any pools with flexible lap swim hours? Bolling's pool won't be open yet, and my hours that week will be crazy, but I should have some afternoons and evenings free. I'll need to get some easy yards in before the Jim McDonnell Lake Swim on the 30th.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Mike

jroddin
May 9th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Hello!
I will be in the DC area the last week of May and will be shopping for a (hopefully FINA-approved) wetsuit/technical suit for open water swims. Anyone have a suggestion for a store where I can try them on? I'll be staying on Bolling AFB (off I-295), but will have a rental car (and I've been stationed there before and PV is my "home" LMSC.

Secondly, anyone know of any pools with flexible lap swim hours? Bolling's pool won't be open yet, and my hours that week will be crazy, but I should have some afternoons and evenings free. I'll need to get some easy yards in before the Jim McDonnell Lake Swim on the 30th.

Mike

Iron Mike:

I'm not too familiar with that part of town, but two stores come to mind that are in Northern VA. Bonzai is in Falls Church and caters to the triathlon crowd. Sport Fair is in Arlington and is more suited for swimmers. Those are two ideas for you to look into.

As far as places to swim, I don't have any specific suggestions but here is a link showing all of the registered clubs in Potomac Valley:
http://www.pvmasters.org/clubs.htm

and here is a link with a brochure that also has a listing of known lap swim pools in the area:
http://www.pvmasters.org/brochure.pdf

Good luck in the lake swim!

Jeff

mjtyson
May 9th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks Jeff! I know Arlington pretty well, so I'll check out Sport Fair.

Oh, and congrats on getting married (I'm catching up with old Swimmers Ears!).

IM

Myriam
May 12th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Hello Mike, I also have a suggestion. Go to some of the USMS sponsors and look for the FINA approved suit. I would suggest www.SwimOutlet.com

Myriam

thewookiee
May 12th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Hello!

Mike

If you have enough to time to slip into the district, you should try Wilson Aquatic Center. A beautiful pool that is usually set-up long course(perfect if you are doing a lake swim)

For non-residents of the district, it is only $4. They don't take cash, so have a credit card ready.

If you have metro access, take the red line to American U/Tenleytown station. The pool is right across the street from the AU shuttlebus stop.

thewookiee
May 12th, 2010, 04:16 PM
The is also Haines Point. Outdoor pool that is 50 meter. DCAC swims there some evenings in the summer.

mjtyson
May 13th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Thanks Wookie & Myriam!

mjtyson
June 14th, 2010, 12:04 AM
I ended up swimming in my old haunt, Chinquapin. Missed that pool.

And I checked out, and dropped some cash, at Sport Fair. Wonderful store in Arlington for swimmers. I really could have spent a ton more...

swimshark
June 14th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I ended up swimming in my old haunt, Chinquapin. Missed that pool.

And I checked out, and dropped some cash, at Sport Fair. Wonderful store in Arlington for swimmers. I really could have spent a ton more...

Glad you found what you needed.