PDA

View Full Version : pollution

blackbutterfly
May 5th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I live on the Columbia River. i want to do some long distance swimming in it but I worry about pollution. I'm wondering if anyone has some guidelines about choosing safe bodies of water?

swimthegoodfight
May 7th, 2010, 07:07 AM
there are numerous state, federal and NGOs monitoring water quality... in addition, make inquiries related to fishing warnings

the resources related to water quality and monitoring are plentiful - check out http://www.americanrivers.org/

fecal coliforms increase with rain events - as a rule of thunb you might like to avoid the river after a hard rain

floswimmer
May 16th, 2010, 10:34 PM
I live on the Columbia River. i want to do some long distance swimming in it but I worry about pollution. I'm wondering if anyone has some guidelines about choosing safe bodies of water?
You might want to try the website of your local health department and environmental conservation. I worry about this too, especially swimming in New York City. The New York City Department of Health monitors the bacteria count for the City's beaches. Also, you might want to ask your Primary Care Physician about getting a Hepatitis A vaccine, in fact make sure all your vaccines are up-to-date (better to be on the safe/healthy side!). :angel: