PDA

View Full Version : 200 fly after 400 free

new
May 7th, 2010, 09:27 AM
One guy that I'm coaching wants to swim the 200 fly after swimming the 400 free (with 6-10 minutes in between).
The meet is in 2 weeks, I told him that he should swim the 50 back, but he keeps saying that he always place better in the 200+ races...
So, I decided to test it, I told him to swim a 400 free all out, rest 7 minutes and then swim 200 fly all out,...as I expected..he was 16 seconds off his time in the 200 fly, and completly exhausted.
He would probably place better in the 200 fly than in the 50 back....if he didn't have to swim 400 before...
The point is, I don't think there is anything fun about swimming these two races with almost no rest, but I will just let it be, it's just masters...

Speedo
May 7th, 2010, 09:37 AM
I didn't have to read past the title: no.

tjrpatt may respond with his similar experience at Colony Zones last December- him swimming the 400 free prior was probably the sole reason I beat him in the 200 fly :)

pwolf66
May 7th, 2010, 10:21 AM
It all depends on what his goals are. if it's just to man up and swim those 2 events with no expectations on time improvements or placing then sure, have him go for it. But he wants to position himself for a good performance, then pick one of those 2 events and swim the other one at a later meet.

new
May 7th, 2010, 11:51 AM
It all depends on what his goals are. if it's just to man up and swim those 2 events with no expectations on time improvements or placing then sure, have him go for it. But he wants to position himself for a good performance, then pick one of those 2 events and swim the other one at a later meet.

Is funny because I told him something very similar, he said that he wants to get as many points as possible, and the next 200 fly/400 free of the year at masters is only LCM.
I remeber once I swam 800 free and then 200 fly (but with a long long long rest), I couldn't push myself during the 800 free because I was thinking about how much the next race was going to hurt :afraid:

tjrpatt
May 7th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Is funny because I told him something very similar, he said that he wants to get as many points as possible, and the next 200 fly/400 free of the year at masters is only LCM.
I remeber once I swam 800 free and then 200 fly (but with a long long long rest), I couldn't push myself during the 800 free because I was thinking about how much the next race was going to hurt :afraid:

I did the 400 SCM and 3 heats later, 200 SCM fly double and it never do it again at focus meets. I only did it because I thought that I would have a steller 400 free(I didn't) and did the 200 fly to get the Zone records(which I did even though I died on the 2nd lap).

I did the 400 Yd IM and 25 minutes later 200 yard fly double. I will never do it again at focus meets. Now, I can do meets where these events are on different days.

If it is not a focus meet, he should do it if he wants. He will learn.