PDA

View Full Version : Cheaters in a adult age group sport charged with felony

Ken Classen
May 8th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Two top Colorado mountain-bike racers face felony criminal-impersonation charges after allegedly cheating in last year's Leadville Trail 100

Veteran endurance athlete Wendy Lyall, 36, used Katie Brazelton's entry number in the 2009 race, finishing second in the women's age 40-49 class.

"It probably would have gone unnoticed except the woman who did race came in second in her age group, and in front of a thousand people, one of them went up and stood on the podium and accepted the award and accepted the trophy and the prizes that went with it," race founder and organizer Ken Chlouber said.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_15043329

geochuck
May 8th, 2010, 04:56 PM
That is almost as bad as wearing an unapproved swimsuit with a modesty panel in it.

Novaova
May 8th, 2010, 06:38 PM
That is almost as bad as wearing an unapproved swimsuit with a modesty panel in it.
Wat.

david.margrave
May 9th, 2010, 12:42 PM
This is idiotic. There is absolutely no reason for this to be a felony.

That Guy
May 9th, 2010, 12:56 PM
This is idiotic. There is absolutely no reason for this to be a felony.

.......................what are you planning?

nhc
May 9th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Are they very good friends or business partners? :rolleyes:

Bobinator
May 9th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I imagine there was prize money involved.
That might make it a felony.

__steve__
May 9th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Send her to the chair

Kidding:)

no200fly
May 10th, 2010, 12:46 PM
It is very unfortunate, but I have come across several people who have purposefully falsified their birth dates in Masters swimming. Don't do it, at least while I'm registrar, because you will likely be suspended for some time.

I guess they were changing their birth dates to be older. Not many of us who want to lie about their age to be older.

lefty
May 10th, 2010, 02:40 PM
It is very unfortunate, but I have come across several people who have purposefully falsified their birth dates in Masters swimming. Don't do it, at least while I'm registrar, because you will likely be suspended for some time.

3 months?

gull
May 10th, 2010, 02:58 PM
It is very unfortunate, but I have come across several people who have purposefully falsified their birth dates in Masters swimming.

Sad indeed. Sort of like recruiting swimmers from around the country for your "team" so that you can set a record.

aquageek
May 10th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Sad indeed. Sort of like recruiting swimmers from around the country for your "team" so that you can set a record.

Sha-zam!

Sharpsburger
May 10th, 2010, 03:11 PM

Yes, it does. It happened recently in a fishing tournament where the prize was a boat. Guy was slipping lead weights into his fish. Got caught when one of his (live) fish was put into a tank and sank to the bottom like a rock.

Sharpsburger
May 10th, 2010, 03:12 PM

Btw, what the heck is a modesty panel? I'm not up on suits, and I keep seeing reference to this, no idea what it is.

ETA: In my arena, a modesty panel is a piece of wood or metal attached to the front of a desk to hide the user's legs. Can't see one of those fitting in a swim suit.

geochuck
May 10th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Modesty Panel. The Gusset or lining in most swim suits not allowed in most of the approved suits. It usually covers vital parts.

Bobinator
May 10th, 2010, 09:46 PM
I always felt like modesty panels enhanced (framed) the body part in question instead of hiding it! Just my 2cents!

carlos_fernandez
May 11th, 2010, 08:05 AM

Nope. No $$$ involved.

They returned the coveted belt buckle, pendant and necklace that came with second place

Felony might be a wee bit harsh...

ourswimmer
May 11th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Nope. No $$$ involved.

The race may not have had prize money, but the jewelry prizes might have been pretty valuable.

Also, if both women are actually pro athletes (which they might be; lots of pros apparently do this race), the woman who took the second-place podium spot, with photos and prizes, without actually having won it may have wrongfully received incentives from her pro sponsor for getting on the podium.

And their actions threaten the race's reputation and prestige, which is also pretty valuable. People aren't going to compete just to get into the race, and pros are not going to attend it even though it doesn't offer cash prizes, if it's just some rinky-dink local race with unreliable results. So I can totally understand the race director's wanting to throw the book at them to protect him/her/itself against such shenanigans.

It's a little surprising the DA thinks his office has time and resources to prosecute it, but that's his political call.

__steve__
May 11th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I always felt like modesty panels enhanced (framed) the body part in question instead of hiding it! Just my 2cents!
Where can I buy some of these modesty panels?

lefty
May 12th, 2010, 04:22 PM
2 years has been the usual penalty.

So basically the same length for getting caught for steroids. Hmmm.

Sharpsburger
May 14th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Modesty Panel. The Gusset or lining in most swim suits not allowed in most of the approved suits. It usually covers vital parts.

Does that mean any sort of lining at all?

I have a Rebok suit that has a thin mesh layer in front. I can't see how it would affect speed one way or the other. Is that an illegal suit?

If so, then why?

geochuck
May 14th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I can see no reason why so many suits are not being accepted other then they were not submitted to Fina. The Fina crew who said modesty panels were not allowed are doh dohs. I remember that FINA years ago, were talking about banning swim suits that were too exposing. Now they only allow suits that are very revealing. I think it is time for USMS to take a stand and allow suits that are appropriate for children to see their parents wearing. I do not think modesty should be in jeopardy because of some strange ideas.

jonblank
May 14th, 2010, 11:25 AM
from the Denver Post article:

Charging the women criminally is going too far, said Vail athlete Sheryl Miller, a friend of Lyall's and Brazelton's and a longtime Leadville Trail 100 racer.

Miller said Brazelton could not race because of an injury and didn't want to waste the $250 fee.

"Wendy and Katie are passionate about this sport, and it was never about doing anyone harm or doing anything wrong. It was about getting an opportunity to race a great race," said Miller, who will race her 10th Leadville Trail 100 this summer and finished sixth in the 40-to-49 group last year. "I don't think it helps the organizers to make this such a big deal. They should just deal with it with Wendy and Katie directly, or make them wear a modesty panel at the very least."

Well, it's not an exact quote, there might be an extra phrase in there at the end.

Sharpsburger
May 14th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I can see no reason why so many suits are not being accepted other then they were not submitted to Fina. The Fina crew who said modesty panels were not allowed are doh dohs.

I came across this on another forum:

The use of double material was banned by FINA when swimmers wore 2 neopropelene rubber suits to trap air between them, making them more bouyant.... They stated that manufacturers could not have a gusset lining unless it was totally bonded to the fabric below, so no air could be trapped between the layers.

I reckon that makes sense.

But if my suit has a mesh panel that doesn't trap air... is it legal?

orca1946
May 14th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Who needs a panel to tell somebody where their PARTS are ? Mine have not moved far from where they were 64 years ago ! :bolt:

jim thornton
May 15th, 2010, 11:46 AM
In my arena, a modesty panel is a piece of wood or metal attached to the front of a desk to hide the user's legs. Can't see one of those fitting in a swim suit.

When the piece of wood or metal is attached in the front of a male's swimming suit, it is known as a "vanity panel."

stillwater
May 15th, 2010, 12:29 PM
What do you call a group of people judging others swagger?

jim thornton
May 15th, 2010, 10:10 PM
What do you call a group of people judging others swagger?

Swagger Finger-Waggers? Swagger Raggers?

geochuck
May 15th, 2010, 10:24 PM
The Vancouver Canucks hockey team swaggerred and won a game. They swaggered again for the next game, but alas the swagger became a stagger. They lost and were eliminated.

Sharpsburger
May 16th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Seriously, is there a resource one can use to find out if your suit is legal for competition?

geochuck
May 16th, 2010, 05:14 PM
No body is talking -the only list I know of is the latest list of FINA Approved swimwear. USMS has not provided a list, and have not stated to my knowledge, if they are going to allow suits with modesty panels which to me does not enhance a swimmers speed. I have only heard that just FINA Approved suits only for USMS??? So the thing to do is get the cheapest FINA Approved suit you can.

Sharpsburger
May 17th, 2010, 08:23 AM
No body is talking -the only list I know of is the latest list of FINA Approved swimwear. USMS has not provided a list, and have not stated to my knowledge, if they are going to allow suits with modesty panels which to me does not enhance a swimmers speed. I have only heard that just FINA Approved suits only for USMS??? So the thing to do is get the cheapest FINA Approved suit you can.

Is the FINA list posted online?

geochuck
May 17th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Latest list I can find
http://www.fina.org/H2O/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=917&Itemid=461

Sharpsburger
May 17th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Thanks.

geochuck
May 17th, 2010, 05:28 PM
The latest I have is

According to USA Swimming with the exception of setting world records, qualifying for world championships, or world rankings, swimsuits do not have to be tested…

This information may be incorrect???

Sharpsburger
May 18th, 2010, 08:36 AM
The latest I have is

According to USA Swimming with the exception of setting world records, qualifying for world championships, or world rankings, swimsuits do not have to be tested…

Well, I won't be doing any of that anytime soon. ;)

Still, I'm a bit CDO so I feel like I should be using an approved suit when I start to compete.