PDA

View Full Version : How long do your goggles last?

nhc
May 8th, 2010, 11:47 PM
My goggles have been very good for nearly a year. But after I cleaned it the other day using mild soap water, and lightly scratched off the dirt on the silicone frame, it no longer sucks. I wonder if my cleaning somehow made it leak? I wish I didn't clean it--but I wouldn't think goggles should be so easily damaged by light cleaning. :( Is 1 year a reasonable lifespan for goggles?

Allen Stark
May 9th, 2010, 12:21 AM
The best I can get is 4 mo.and 3 is more common.

Rykno
May 9th, 2010, 01:35 AM
ever since I made the switch to swedish goggles, or any of the other brands that are just hard plastic with a rubber band, they last a lifetime. it was the rubber that would get old and dry and eventually snap.

I have over 10 pairs of lenses, but until recently never found a replacement band. now I have 5 replacement silicone bands.

but since I cut the string and little blue tube off of all of them, my next problem will be finding a rubber band to replace the nose piece on all of them. good thing for me the malmsten goggles are less than $10 over here.

FireRox21
May 9th, 2010, 01:55 AM
I've had my Swedes for 13 years and have only replaced the rubber bands with plain ol' sewing elastic. The elastic eventually wears out, but it is easy to replace. However, I have some Speedo Socket Rockets that work great, but really need to be cleaned. Since reading of your experience, I don't think I will even bother and just stick to my Swedes.

Oh yeah, I'm looking into getting one of those Bungee straps for my goggles. I've heard of them on here, but a guy at the pool had a pair and they look really promising. Seems like it would last longer than sewing elastic.

swimshark
May 9th, 2010, 06:43 AM
I (ahem) am one who sticks my fingers in to defog the lenses so I'm lucky to get 4 months out of mine. I never clean them. I just let them dry out in between. And I have 1 pair that is just for competition that I keep my fingers out of.

notsofast
May 9th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I clean my goggles with soap and water after every swim. They're still going strong after about two years.
Very important to at least rinse the chlorine off, as that's what degrades the plastic.

aquageek
May 9th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I put bungee straps on my swedes and use the strap they come with to replace the nose bridge when it snaps once a year. I have never thrown away a pair of swedes, they are indestructible.

Calvin S
May 9th, 2010, 09:44 AM
I have never thrown away a pair of swedes, they are indestructible.

although my nose piece has never snapped on me, the straps can wear out with repeated use (or being left in a car and subject to extreme hot/cold). the only reason i have ever had to replace swedes is because i lose them (happens from time to time, but hey, not like they break the bank account to replace).

fmracing
May 9th, 2010, 10:38 PM
The pair of sweeds I have right now I've had for 10 years, same nose piece (string and tube). Switched to a bungee about 5-6 years ago and I have the same one of those as well. Never even clean them either, just throw them in the swim bag whenever i get back to the lockers :) They work great, and there's nothing to wear out on em.

bamueller
May 9th, 2010, 11:30 PM
I (ahem) am one who sticks my fingers in to defog the lenses so I'm lucky to get 4 months out of mine. I never clean them. I just let them dry out in between. And I have 1 pair that is just for competition that I keep my fingers out of.

I learned this lesson some time ago. Instead of my fingers, I use my tongue. I pull my goggles down from my eyes to my mouth to clean them before sets. That seems to help improve longevity. Do not use your fingers, at least that's my advice.

My swedes (Tyr socket rockets) get about 6 months with this approach. I just bought a new pair of non-swedes, so I will see how long they last. I am willing to invest $1/month for my goggles.

I also see others writing that they have had their goggles for years, like 10 years. My question to them is, how clean are they?

My pet peeve is when my goggles fog up or my view is not clear, like a smudged windshield. I like a clean field of view, so I upgrage to new goggles often. I also try and protect them when they are in my gear bag, so I put them in cases, because if I don't, they get scratched and end up degrading the clear vision.

nhc
May 10th, 2010, 12:03 AM
I just realized I mis-remembered the life of my goggles. I think I started using it in 8/2008, so it's about 1 year+9 months now, not as bad as I thought. But if I didn't clean it it may last some more months.

Perhaps the life of the goggles also has to do with the quality of the water you swim in.

pwb
May 10th, 2010, 01:05 AM
I clean my goggles with soap and water after every swim. They're still going strong after about two years.
Very important to at least rinse the chlorine off, as that's what degrades the plastic.

Ever since I began doing this -- U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums - View Single Post - To prevent your goggles from fogging up do you.... --with my training goggles, I've noticed a remarkable improvement. This method completely rehabbed a pair that I couldn't keep fogless and I've noticed no deterioration. I keep separate meet goggles from training goggles, so my meet goggles last forever. Pre-soapy-soaking, my goggles would last around a year; I think the two pairs I have rotating for workouts now will last much longer.

fmracing
May 10th, 2010, 08:31 AM
I also see others writing that they have had their goggles for years, like 10 years. My question to them is, how clean are they?

Clear enough. It's not like they're frosted glass or anything. Probably closer to smudged sunglasses. I guess I question why you need ultra clear vision in a pool anyways. Is it to see detail of each tile of the big black T on the bottom or something? For fog, I just leave a few drops of water in each one, and shake my head when they fog up. :) They are still plenty clear to see the pace clock from across a 25m pool.

aquageek
May 10th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Ever since I began doing this -- U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums - View Single Post - To prevent your goggles from fogging up do you.... (http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=185508&postcount=18) --with my training goggles, I've noticed a remarkable improvement. This method completely rehabbed a pair that I couldn't keep fogless and I've noticed no deterioration. I keep separate meet goggles from training goggles, so my meet goggles last forever. Pre-soapy-soaking, my goggles would last around a year; I think the two pairs I have rotating for workouts now will last much longer.

I've been doing a variation of this since that post came out. Once a month I soak all my goggles in hottish water and dishwashing detergent. It makes a huge difference.

swimshark
May 10th, 2010, 10:30 AM
I learned this lesson some time ago. Instead of my fingers, I use my tongue. I pull my goggles down from my eyes to my mouth to clean them before sets. That seems to help improve longevity. Do not use your fingers, at least that's my advice.

I lick mine too. They still fog up. I need to try the soapy water next. Since I can never come up with birthday ideas, I just tell my parents to get my several pairs of goggles. So when I go through a pair and need a new one, I don't mind as much.

Lui
May 10th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Oh yeah, I'm looking into getting one of those Bungee straps for my goggles.

I got the tip for bungee straps on this board. I now use two pair of swedish goggles(the goggles are about 5 years old) with the new straps and they will probably live longer than me.:)

tjrpatt
May 10th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I couldn't get a swedish goggle lense to cover my big eye lids. I use the Speedo Hyrdospex and they last about 4 months. The blue seventy goggles are pretty good too. They actually understand the plight of us big eyed swimmers!

Chicken of the Sea
May 10th, 2010, 12:24 PM

Same here. I use the ones with the foam gaskets and they degenerate after a while and start leaking. I probably only get 2 months out of them.
I can't bring myself to throw out the old ones, though, so at any given time I've got about 20 pairs in the bottom of my swim bag :blush:

ElaineK
May 10th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Ever since I began doing this -- U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums - View Single Post - To prevent your goggles from fogging up do you.... (http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=185508&postcount=18) --with my training goggles, I've noticed a remarkable improvement. This method completely rehabbed a pair that I couldn't keep fogless and I've noticed no deterioration. I keep separate meet goggles from training goggles, so my meet goggles last forever. Pre-soapy-soaking, my goggles would last around a year; I think the two pairs I have rotating for workouts now will last much longer.
Would you recommend this for "anti-fog" goggles, as well? I'm afraid to use a dab of baby shampoo before a race (recommended by Ande), because it might damage the special "anti-fog" material. Will it? I called Tyr about my T-72's and all they would say to me is that the goggles don't fog (they do...) and not to use anything on them.

SolarEnergy
May 10th, 2010, 01:27 PM
My goggles have been very good for nearly a year. But after I cleaned it the other day using mild soap water, and lightly scratched off the dirt on the silicone frame, it no longer sucks. I wonder if my cleaning somehow made it leak? I wish I didn't clean it--but I wouldn't think goggles should be so easily damaged by light cleaning. :( Is 1 year a reasonable lifespan for goggles? New goggle's quality is ridiculous. I purchased a few Speedo models which all broke shortly after having started using them.

So for me now, I don't show up on a deck without a tube of crazy glue. Been a satisfied camper ever since.

knelson
May 10th, 2010, 01:34 PM
SolarEnergy's post is interesting to me, because I think goggles have gotten way better. In high school and college I mainly used Speedo Sprints. The foam gasket always packed out after a couple months and the rubber strap would degrade. Newer goggles, such as Vanquishers have a rubber gasket that lasts forever, as far as I can tell, and the silicone straps are also much better. I've never had anything break on these goggles.

Goggles generally last about a year for me now. After that time the goggles are still good, but just get a little too grimy and scratched up.

swimshark
May 10th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Would you recommend this for "anti-fog" goggles, as well? I'm afraid to use a dab of baby shampoo before a race (recommended by Ande), because it might damage the special "anti-fog" material. Will it? I called Tyr about my T-72's and all they would say to me is that the goggles don't fog (they do...) and not to use anything on them.

Elaine, the anti-fog wears out after about 3 weeks for me so don't fret the anti-fog stuff. Do what works for the races and your goggles. See you in about 10 days!

ElaineK
May 10th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Elaine, the anti-fog wears out after about 3 weeks for me so don't fret the anti-fog stuff. Do what works for the races and your goggles. See you in about 10 days!
3 weeks? Sheeesh!
10 days? :bliss:

3strokes
May 10th, 2010, 04:21 PM
My goggles have been very good for nearly a year. But after I cleaned it the other day using mild soap water, and lightly scratched off the dirt on the silicone frame, it no longer sucks. I wonder if my cleaning somehow made it leak? I wish I didn't clean it--but I wouldn't think goggles should be so easily damaged by light cleaning. :( Is 1 year a reasonable lifespan for goggles?

The usual recommendation is to wash vey "lightly" with baby shampoo.

notsofast
May 11th, 2010, 03:30 PM
I think the chlorine is what wears away the antifog material. The shampoo gets rid of the chlorine. Probably any mild soap will do.
Of course, once the antifog material is gone, no amount of soap will bring it back. Then washing the goggles only helps prevent leaking.

adsollm
May 11th, 2010, 04:14 PM
swedes

they last until you lose and/or drive over them (oops)

also they cost like 4 dollars

nhc
May 11th, 2010, 05:08 PM
swedes

they last until you lose and/or drive over them (oops)

also they cost like 4 dollars

If it's only $4, why not enjoy a new pair once in a while? :rolleyes:

By the way, my brand new goggles easily fog and leak from day 1, while my old goggles used for nearly 2 years didn't leak and seldom got fog, even though they no doubt had lost the anti-fog coating long ago as I used fingers to clean them frequently. What gives? :confused:

SolarEnergy
May 14th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Newer goggles, such as Vanquishers have a rubber gasket that lasts forever, as far as I can tell, and the silicone straps are also much better. I've never had anything break on these goggles. Hmmmm, this brings back some hope. Even though once carefully sealed with crazy glue, I sometimes do it as prevention too to avoid sudden leaks during a hard set, they don't bother me anymore.

The funny thing is that I think also use Vanquishers, either these or Aquasocket not sure. Liked the fit. I think I purchased 3 pairs in few months before deciding to stick them with crazy glue. Same bug all the time. Silicone stripe suddenly starts to leak as a result of detaching itself from the goggle frame.

nhc
May 14th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Does anyone know, or have experience, whether the silicone strap will deteriorate with time if I keep some new goggles in stock for many years (unused)?

ViveBene
May 14th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Dunno answer to deterioration, but sales clerk tried to sell me an "extended warranty" for $5 on goggles I bought today. What next!

swimshark
May 15th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Does anyone know, or have experience, whether the silicone strap will deteriorate with time if I keep some new goggles in stock for many years (unused)?

I haven't had this experience. I have used some that have been sitting in my house alone for years and haven't had a problem with any part of it deteriorating.

Dunno answer to deterioration, but sales clerk tried to sell me an "extended warranty" for $5 on goggles I bought today. What next!

LOL!

geochuck
May 15th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I would use Speedo Hydrospex for training, 3 pair for $19.00. When racing use your better goggles. I have a 24 pairs of quality prescription goggles suited for my eyes they are a great fit and top of the line. I brought them in from China, I paid $5.24 each plus shipping.