PDA

View Full Version : How to Control Which Side to Turn to in Flip Turn?

lehe
May 9th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I have been practicing flip turn for some while. All my turns are to my right side. I intentionally try to turn to the left but mostly fail. However I have seen many other swimmers turn to their left most of the time.

I was wondering what are the critical points that control which side to turn to?

I guess mastering this will help me to get a better feeling and balance under the water. Do you also think so?

Thanks!

stillwater
May 9th, 2010, 04:01 PM
I think that state of the art flips begin with your feet going straight over your head. Then, with vigor, pushing off on your back as you gently roll over to your stomach. Pick your side on which to roll.

I am to lazy to change what I have done for decades. I float into the wall, staying as far away from the wall as I can (wouldn't want to swim furthur than necessary). I follow my right hand in a tumble. I have adjusted my strokes per lap to make it my right hand, at the expense of speed. My feet land shoulder width apart perpendicular to the bottom (or close to it). I push off rotating to belly down. Following my right hand means that I will be set up to push off to the left side of the pool for circle swimming. My turns are old school (slow).

The rub comes when due to unforseen circumstances (a yahoo in my turning spot, exhaustion...) where I must follow my left hand, piviot in the other direction, push off without vigor, and almost slam into the swimmer behind me who is starting to exicute their turn.

I doubt if this helps but it was fun for me to try and describe my turn.

lehe
May 9th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Interesting! I have twisted to the right a little when turning into the wall, no matter which hand does the last stroke.

Any possible tricks that can twist my body to the left or just keep me from twisting my body?

ande
May 9th, 2010, 08:47 PM
i roll so that my left side is down,
most swimmers do it that way
some roll to their right
swimmers pick a side and stick with it

__steve__
May 9th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I just started rolling CCW several weeks ago after rolling CW for almost 2 years (amount of time I've been swimming). Found it was more streamlined for me because it places less stress on the left shoulder and more on the right since my left shoulder has tissue damage from a former injury. I know this because it's faster and feels better.

Chris Stevenson
May 9th, 2010, 10:49 PM
i roll so that my left side is down,
most swimmers do it that way
some roll to their right
swimmers pick a side and stick with it

I have been practicing flip turn for some while. All my turns are to my right side. I intentionally try to turn to the left but mostly fail. However I have seen many other swimmers turn to their left most of the time.

I was wondering what are the critical points that control which side to turn to?

I guess mastering this will help me to get a better feeling and balance under the water. Do you also think so?

My turns are also always on the right side. Why do you think this is undesirable? I don't think it matters, use the side you are most comfortable with.

Allen Stark
May 10th, 2010, 12:30 AM
I disagree with the idea of following your arm.I think you want both arms at your sides as you begin the turn.Since you have both arms at your sides and flip straight over it is immaterial which side you turn to after the push off.

Rykno
May 10th, 2010, 06:25 AM
I breathe nearly every stroke to the right side but turn to the left. I think for me it became a habit, but it might be based on the fact that I don't care to have my left ear upwards. it feels like water gets in.

I can start my flip turn with either arm, it doesn't effect which side I turn on.

Lui
May 10th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I thought you basically kick off on your back. I actually roll with my left side down and sort of turn and kick off almost with my face facing down but I always think that my flip turn is wrong and you should kick off on your back and then turn(if anyone knows what I mean:D).

stillwater
May 10th, 2010, 11:25 AM
I disagree with the idea of following your arm.

I respectfully disagree with your disagreeing. My coach hounds me about my arms at my side. I am told to take one extra stroke, even a half stroke, and follow the arm. It puts me closer to the wall providing me with a stronger push off.

It is harder, but seems to be faster. Old habits die hard, more so when it is hard. My excuse is that I only have so much energy to expend so I must dole it out. I choose to not spend it on the wall. I think of the walls as a restings spot, a bit of Eden.

Rykno
May 10th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I respectfully disagree with your disagreeing. My coach hounds me about my arms at my side.

That's something I point out to my swimmers too. if both your hands are at your side you only have your kick left to move you fwd.

it's the same thing with a backstroke turn. role over and follow your last arm through the turn. if you glide long enough so that both arms come to your side you risk being DSQ for being on your stomache for too long.

sjstuart
May 10th, 2010, 01:10 PM
My first thought was also that it doesn't matter which side you turn to, but now I'm reconsidering.

I modified my turns a little bit a few years ago when a coach pointed out that I should always take the first stroke off the wall with the arm that is towards the bottom of the pool. Since I turn to the left (left side down), this is always my left arm.

Now I'm thinking that it might be better to take my first stroke with my right arm (dominant side), so that on laps with an odd number of strokes I get to use my stronger side more. If so, I should be turning to the right.

I can tell that attempting to turn the other way will feel very odd. And it may wreak havoc on circle swimming for a while, as I doubt I'll come off the wall straight at first.

5out6aintbad
May 10th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Have you tried control the turn by angling the head slightly (very slightly) to the left or right? I find I can dictate which way I turn through that technique.

It is useful to turn both ways depending on clock or anti-clock laps. Left hand turning on a clockwise lap is really disorientating for me.

sjstuart
May 10th, 2010, 01:18 PM
That must be why I always turn to the left: I have never circle-swum in a clockwise direction.

Allen Stark
May 10th, 2010, 05:57 PM
That's something I point out to my swimmers too. if both your hands are at your side you only have your kick left to move you fwd.

it's the same thing with a backstroke turn. role over and follow your last arm through the turn. if you glide long enough so that both arms come to your side you risk being DSQ for being on your stomache for too long.

It seems to me that if you follow your arm you don't get as complete a pull as if you make a full pull to get both hands to the side.Also if you follow your arm it seems to me to be easier to not come straight over on the flip.Am I missing something?

tomtopo
May 10th, 2010, 09:24 PM
When my swimmers don't get over straight, it's usually due to their head position. I tell them to position their nose right in the middle of their knees and that corrects the problem. The slightest movement of the head to the right or left will move the legs in the opposite direction. Remember, even slight movements of the head will move your legs in the opposite direction. Good luck, Coach T.

bamueller
May 10th, 2010, 11:34 PM
I breathe most comfortably to my right side. While flip-turning, I turn to the side I breathe (my right). I've tried to turn to the left just to try it and it feels awkward. I haven't felt like there is a reason for me to switch, whereas breathing to both sides has more of an advantage (if I were to choose something to work on).