PDA

View Full Version : How would you judge Phelps' technique in this vid?

Lui
May 9th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I saw this link on a triathlon forum and people were saying that Phelps' style is really bad in that video. For example that his hands tend to enter the water too soon and too near to his head.
There were loads of other negative comments which I can't remember.
Even though Phelps is just doing an easy swim on that vid I personally think that he still has a perfect technique.
I would compare it to Picasso. Even if Picasso would do some quick and loose doodles on a napkin, his drawings would still show that he has a brilliant craftsmanship, if you know what I mean:D
Here's the video: YouTube- Michael Phelps easyswim with 2beat kick

That Guy
May 9th, 2010, 05:09 PM
if you want to see perfect crawlstroke technique, find some video of Ian Thorpe, Alex Popov, and Dara Torres. Phelps' technique isn't perfect, but it seems to pay the bills. My only suggestion for him would be to stick with the loping style rather than the straight-arm style he experimented with last year.

Flurpo
May 9th, 2010, 05:13 PM
:dunno:ah....frankly he looks freakin perfect in that vid. He almost has a fingertip drag and near perfect EVF at the entry...Astounding to watch his stroke at full speed...

Lui
May 9th, 2010, 05:33 PM
:dunno:ah....frankly he looks freakin perfect in that vid.

That was my reaction. I don't get what they're talking about:confused:

nhc
May 10th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I don't know how Phelps' technique compares to others, but he always seems to swim very easily without effort. I also noticed he's loping.

debaru
May 10th, 2010, 12:22 AM
I saw this link on a triathlon forum and people were saying that Phelps' style is really bad in that video. For example that his hands tend to enter the water too soon and too near to his head.
There were loads of other negative comments which I can't remember.
Even though Phelps is just doing an easy swim on that vid I personally think that he still has a perfect technique.
I would compare it to Picasso. Even if Picasso would do some quick and loose doodles on a napkin, his drawings would still show that he has a brilliant craftsmanship, if you know what I mean:D
Here's the video: YouTube- Michael Phelps easyswim with 2beat kick (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_M7P_jmgBE&feature=related)

It really irks me when people try to find fault with someone who is definitely out of their league. :bitching: I guess it makes them feel better about themselves.

Allen Stark
May 10th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Not to start a firestorm,but his stroke is not "TI".

Flurpo
May 10th, 2010, 01:15 AM
:bolt: OK...well here comes some lighter fluid... I think "TI" looks great. I love those TI coach vids. However, I've never seen a "TI" swimmer at race pace. The difference between the b's and wanna b's is in holding that catch at a higher stroke rate. I've noticed that the pro's actually reduce the number of strokes they take per length as they increase their effort. Phelps and Lochte both do this. Amazing to watch..:bow: man that takes a lot of work to develop that kind of skill...always leaves me in awe...

__steve__
May 10th, 2010, 10:22 AM
It's just a film clip of him doing a drill or either warming up or down. There is obviously nothing wrong with Phelp's technique -lol

bamueller
May 10th, 2010, 01:07 PM
It really irks me when people try to find fault with someone who is definitely out of their league. :bitching: I guess it makes them feel better about themselves.

Agreed. If Phelps isn't a rock star, who is? I wish my technique were as efficient as his. I'd "settle" for that.

Brian Stack
May 10th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Not to start a firestorm,but his stroke is not "TI".
No need to start a firestorm Alan, but that statement is going to need some clarification, no?
I spent the last part of the 1990's and the early '00s coaching for TI on the West Coast. I'd have a hard time finding fault with his freestyle on the video referenced by the OP.
Excellent body line, balanced while rotating. Head is low while stroking and breathing. Front quadrant timing on the hands, easy 2 beat kick is generated by the body rotation. As a previous poster mentioned, nice EVF too. I might quibble about the way he looks forward while swimming, but it's obviously an easy lap and he's on auto pilot.
Things change at faster tempos, but, from what I've seen TI or not MP is a more than adequate free-styler.

lefty
May 10th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Phelps form is perfect for him. But probably not perfect for anyone else. If you are double jointed in shoulders and ankles, have an oversized wing-span and oversized torso, are very tall, have huge feet for your size and finally due to some genetic abnormaility struggle to produce lactic acid then you should probably strive for Phelps technique.

I don't think you have to be an expert to critique, but criticism of Phelps is misplaced because, well, he isn't normal.

knelson
May 10th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I'm curious what Allen's comment about "it's not TI" means. He's definitely using a very front-quadrant oriented stroke. Care to elaborate, Allen?

Allen Stark
May 10th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Sorry,that was a pretty catty remark I made.What I meant was
1)MP has a beautiful stroke
2) a TI instructor would think it was a beautiful stroke
3) some one who learned swimming from a superficial knowledge of TI might focus on things such as his relative lack of hip roll and his hand entry as flaws.
It was a comment about how a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.Sorry!!