PDA

View Full Version : What is the color of your goggle lenses?

nhc
May 11th, 2010, 11:23 PM
It seems most people wear goggles with dark lenses? I wonder if it's necessary in a pool unless the pool is very brightly lighted?

Do open water swimmers wear dark goggles or clear lenses?

Thanks for taking the poll.:)

swimmj
May 11th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Clear most of the time, grey when out bright sunlight summer meets out of doors.

Rebecca
May 11th, 2010, 11:33 PM
I have clear goggles that I wear in our indoor pool, and dark colored ones for open water.

philoswimmer
May 11th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Swimming in California, outdoors all year round... I can't imagine swimming with clear goggles except on cloudy days. Even then, I still wear my dark (grey) goggles.

nhc
May 11th, 2010, 11:40 PM
As far as I can see, almost all swimmers in world races (Olympic, etc.) wear dark goggles like this :cool: ?

debaru
May 12th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Indoor pool - Clear TYR Femme T-72 Petite
Outdoor pool - Dark TYR Femme T-72 Petite
Open Water - Dark Aqua Sphere Kaiman

I know you didn't ask for the goggle type, but I thought I'd throw that in there for :Ds.

Couroboros
May 12th, 2010, 01:59 AM
Dark. They're kind of smoky black. Red rims.

I would've stuck with my metallic silvery ones, but I lost them. :( edit: I guess they'd fall under the "mirror" option.

Rykno
May 12th, 2010, 02:25 AM
too bad it wasn't a multiple answer poll

I usually use my smoked (dark) but lately have been using my metallic /mirror. when swimming in the summer I use my dark or mirrored on sunny days, but my blue or green on a cloudy day.

I have yellow and clear, but never use them, but have them as a back up incase all the others snap the same day

jessicafk11
May 12th, 2010, 01:03 PM
In my high school days I had swedish ones which I made with 2 colors (i.e. each eye was a different color). I don't remember what colors they were though. Now I have swedish goggles which are blue-ish purple as purple is my favorite color. For meets I have gogles with dark mirrored lenses.

Lump
May 12th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Vanquisher Plus....Blue on the inside, Mirror/Metallic on outside.

Rykno
May 12th, 2010, 01:43 PM
In my high school days I had swedish ones which I made with 2 colors (i.e. each eye was a different color). I don't remember what colors they were though. Now I have swedish goggles which are blue-ish purple as purple is my favorite color. For meets I have gogles with dark mirrored lenses.

me too, I had one set red and blue for a 3-d feeling and the other yellow and green just to be different

orca1946
May 12th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Mostly until I get into a dark pool , then I lighten up.

bridge5
May 12th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I love my blue-seventy PINK goggles. The pink coloring lightens up a dim indoor pool and I can spot my distance to the walls easier (making my flipturns *far* more productive). I've never had PINK goggles before, but I highly suggest them for this sort of situation.

jethro
May 12th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Vanquisher Plus....Blue on the inside, Mirror/Metallic on outside.

Ditto. I really like those. I have a bunch of others that I bought and wore maybe once or twice, and are now just sitting there in my big box of excess gear.

Lui
May 12th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Swimming in California, outdoors all year round.

Rub it in:D
Living in cold Germany, swimming indoors all year around:bitching:....I usually use my blue swedish goggles but I have various colors(yellow, red, pink, mirrored, clear). The red ones are a bit too dark for an indoor pool.

ElaineK
May 12th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Indoor pool - Clear TYR Femme T-72 Petite
Outdoor pool - Dark TYR Femme T-72 Petite
Open Water - Dark Aqua Sphere Kaiman

I know you didn't ask for the goggle type, but I thought I'd throw that in there for :Ds.
Hey, Debbie, I use the same two models of goggles! But, I use my dark Aqua Spheres for training, because they are comfy and I use my T-72 Petites at meets (not comfy, but they stay on off the blocks). Mine are blue; I should have gotten dark.

KEWebb18
May 12th, 2010, 09:22 PM
My favorites are my amber colored swedes. I need to get a new nose piece and strap for them, so I have currently been wearing my clear mirrored vanquishers. When I swim outside I wear my dark pink mirrored vanquisher plus goggles.
Swedes are my favorite. In college and high school, I wore either blue, green, or amber swedes. Oh and mirrored ones for outside.

WPSWIMS
May 12th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Prescription Vanquishers. I use a 4.5 diopter in the left eye and 3.0 in the right. I have to buy two pairs so I can switch the lenses. I can see the pace clock and the wall is much clearer. I have no trouble with starts. It is the cheapest pair of prescription goggles that do not leak!
I use clear for indoor swimming and smoke for the few times I get to swim outdoors.

debaru
May 13th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Hey, Debbie, I use the same two models of goggles! But, I use my dark Aqua Spheres for training, because they are comfy and I use my T-72 Petites at meets (not comfy, but they stay on off the blocks). Mine are blue; I should have gotten dark.

LOL! It must be a Long Beach thing. :cool:

The TYR goggles fit my face/eyes perfectly, but I really like my Aqua Sphere Kaimans the best. They are really comfortable and you can't beat the field of vision they provide. The only downside is that they are twice as expensive as the TYR goggles, so I'm only using them for open water.

Redbird Alum
May 13th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Clear... I don't want to miss or mis-interpret anything about the time I get to spend in the pool!

DPC
May 13th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Clear indoors at the pools I practice in because the lighting is so low generally speaking, but I have a pair of smoke colored that I use outside or in competition where the lighting is much brighter.

2fish&1whale
May 13th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I wear smoke for indoors-eventhough our pool is a bit gloomy I like not seeing every bit of crap that floats in it.I need to find something for when I switch to the outdoor pool-there is no shade and I do a lot of back stroke-can't afford to miss my turn because I'm blinded.

nhc
May 13th, 2010, 03:41 PM
So far the largest number seem to have voted for "Other colors". I wonder if that's because a lot use Amber colored lenses, since I didn't include "Amber" in the "Dark (grey)" option? I really doubt most people use such fancy colors like blue, pink, purple, etc. :rolleyes:

Also I'm a little surprised more people volted for clear than dark/smoke/grey, because the most I see in the pools and in any videos are dark/smoke/grey. I haven't seen an Olympic medalist wear clear lenses (maybe Olympic pools are very bright?).

DPC
May 14th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I wear smoke for indoors-eventhough our pool is a bit gloomy I like not seeing every bit of crap that floats in it.I need to find something for when I switch to the outdoor pool-there is no shade and I do a lot of back stroke-can't afford to miss my turn because I'm blinded.

Yeah - sometimes I really hate to see whats in the pool when I swim indoors, but with thel ow light and the water in the morning is unusually foggy - iron content must be high in their water - that I can't see down the lane with the darker goggles. But outside doing backstroke you need the darker lenses, I have enopugh lumps on my head and heels than I care for.

shahboz
May 14th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Tyr Eclipse - super dark and metallic

nhc
May 14th, 2010, 09:49 PM
What's good about the metallic and mirror goggles? Just so that people can't see your eyes?

shahboz
May 15th, 2010, 05:11 PM
They look cool ;-) ...and they reduce glare.

nhc
May 20th, 2010, 05:46 PM
they reduce glare.

for yourself only. It increases glare for the others in/at the pool ;)