PDA

View Full Version : SwimFest '10 Info

Muppet
May 18th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Anyone know if there is going to be transportation provided from host hotels to the pool/OW site?

I am sending a few coaches from my LMSC and have been trying to find out if we need to get them a rental car. According to the SwimFest Hotel Info page, all the hotels are not exactly walking distance from the pool.

floswimmer
May 18th, 2010, 10:59 PM
:) Hello - E-mail Mel Goldstein to double check. I did and a few weeks ago and there were no set transportation plans. I'm renting a car. What hotel are your coaches staying at? I'm renting a compact car :)- maybe we could carpool....

Muppet
May 19th, 2010, 12:37 AM
i called two different people associated with putting on the event - mel included - and no response.

floswimmer
May 20th, 2010, 07:59 PM
i called two different people associated with putting on the event - mel included - and no response.
Hello! If you click on the registration site for Swim Fest (as if you were going to register again) on the USMS website, there is an e-mail address for Mel. Try that; he answered me within 24 hours. Maybe he is busy right now with Nationals. But give it a try...:angel:

Cokie
May 21st, 2010, 07:49 AM
Hi swimmers. I'm one of the coaches attending SwimFest and I'm currently at Nationals. I'll track down Mel or Mark Gill and see if there are any transportation plans. I don't think so, but I'll find out and post back here today.

Cokie
May 21st, 2010, 06:30 PM
Hi gang. Sorry to let you know that I confirmed with Mel Goldstein there is no transportation provided by the SwimFest folks for airport to hotel and venue to airport.

floswimmer
May 22nd, 2010, 12:18 AM
Hi gang. Sorry to let you know that I confirmed with Mel Goldstein there is no transportation provided by the SwimFest folks for airport to hotel and venue to airport.

Thanks for the follow up!

Ahelee Sue Osborn
June 7th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Back to reality on Monday morning after spending 3 days with some of the most outstanding masters swim coaches in the world at SwimFest10 in San Diego.

There are articles to write, videos to edit, and photos to POST!
I don't think you will talk to a coach or swimmer in attendance who won't agree that the weekend was fabulous!

If you couldn't make it to SwimFest10 this year, I'm truly sorry.

Lets' just say that USMS and it's Club Development group made huge strides in improving last year's model of SwimFest...
And there were coaches all around gushing with ideas of how to do it even better next year!

My 2-cents about the opportunity offered in SwimFest by USMS to masters coaches is this:

HOW CAN WE DO A BETTER JOB AT GETTING LMSCs, CLUBS AND COACHES TO UNDERSTAND THE VALUE OF COACHES EDUCATION?
AND ACTUALLY GET COACHES TO ATTEND SWIMFEST & ASCA'S WORLD CLINIC?

I say it is up to the swimmers.
Swimmers pay the club & LMSC fees.
Swimmers want higher quality swim coaching and expertise in advice for building fitness into their lifestyle.

If swimmers demand coach education opportunities and support them, they just might get - better all round coaching.

My LMSC approved 20 travel stipends which literally covered a free weekend to attend the San Diego SwimFest10 Clinic for 1 coach from each of 20 clubs.
7 Clubs sent coaches.
And we are one of the largest LMSCs in the country. And closest LMSC to the hosting LMSC San Diego who sent only 1 single coach!

I know I'm a bit of a swim geek, but this is a real frustration...
A TOTAL missed opportunity.

There are so many coaches who would do anything to experience this literal swim coach's Disneyland.

Hope I see you - or your coach in Indy for ASCA.

Below is a link to my unedited photos from the weekend :)

SwimFest10 San Diego Photos:

http://conejo-valley-masters.smugmug...92735864_QbnmV (http://conejo-valley-masters.smugmug.com/Conejo-Valley-Coaches/SwimFest10-San-Diego/12463107_w7t9i#892735864_QbnmV)

Cokie
June 8th, 2010, 12:13 AM
SwimFest '10 was OUTSTANDING. It was well organized and ran very smoothly. The amount of information exchanged was awesome. 10 mentor coaches, and 70 masters coaches in one setting amounts to an incredible exchange of ideas. Everyone was approachable and I was able to get feedback on various business models, handling of administrative issues, as well as technical information on swimming such as test sets, pulse rates, using Tempo Trainers, stroke technique, video analysis, etc. SwimFest is a goldmine of information. No matter what your experience, everyone at any level had something to gain. GREAT job USMS and the entire team who made this possible.

Next year, hold it in an LMSC that will get you the numbers you need. It is a shame that this year's host LMSC had almost no representation at this event. Word needs to get out about just how incredible this event is. Can't wait to see what USMS decides to do next year and beyond.:bliss:

Ahelee Sue Osborn
June 13th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Thanks to Coach Jay Peluso and Chris Stevenson (Virginia) who scanned and posted the SwimFest10 program.

Linked here:
http://www.vaswim.org/meets/SwimFest2010.pdf

A few pages are a bit hard to read, but I understand that all information and coverage will be posted to the USMS website soon.

Ahelee Sue Osborn
June 17th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Thanks USMS and Ben Cristoffel for a great re-cap video from SwimFest10!

http://www.youtube.com/user/USMastersSwimming#p/u/0/eghqPZCpKnM

debaru
June 17th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks USMS and Ben Cristoffel for a great re-cap video from SwimFest10!

http://www.youtube.com/user/USMastersSwimming#p/u/0/eghqPZCpKnM

Cool! :cool:

I've been anticipating the posting of the video from the event. It was fun to relive the experience.

I even saw a few clips of me here and there. I'm the one sitting with Ron "Sickie" Marcikic getting a critique of one of my swims (We're facing the camera and I have a number 11 on my right arm). :D I'm hoping those videos are available soon.

ricochet51
June 22nd, 2010, 01:42 PM
I too am looking forward to seeing the links to the videos and filling out the survey. Anyone know when those will be available??
I'm still thrilled with what I learned at SwimFest. I'm positive that those techniques are what helped me swim three of my fastest times ever and earn four GOLD medals at the Senior Olympics in Pasadena the weekend after SwimFest!!

debaru
June 22nd, 2010, 06:44 PM
I too am looking forward to seeing the links to the videos and filling out the survey. Anyone know when those will be available??
I'm still thrilled with what I learned at SwimFest. I'm positive that those techniques are what helped me swim three of my fastest times ever and earn four GOLD medals at the Senior Olympics in Pasadena the weekend after SwimFest!!

Congrats!!! :applaud: