PDA

View Full Version : San Juan, whos going?

born2fly
May 26th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Just curious who is planning on attending Long Course Nats in San Juan. I was not really considering it then told my wife where they were being held. We are now seriously considering going, I know its serious when she is looking on Orbitz for flights! This would be a swim meet for me, wife and kids vacation and to celebrate our 20yr anniversary. Sounds like a good productive trip to me!

thewookiee
May 26th, 2010, 09:52 PM
I am going. My gf is coming too. Swim meet/vacation.

Allen Stark
May 27th, 2010, 12:24 AM
My wife and I are going.We are using our Time Share points to stay at a resort about 40 min away.We got plane tickets from Portland for less than for Atlanta.I plan to swim the 3 BRs and the 3 flys.
2 questions
Will there be on line entry(SWIMMER wasn't clear)? and
Can you drink the water?

swim53
May 27th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Greg,
Many Ohio people will be there!
Ann

jroddin
May 27th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Julie and I bought our plane tickets on Tuesday :applaud:

The only problem I have with the meet is the pool is too long. Approx 25m too long.

born2fly
May 27th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Jeff-well considering your in my age group, maybe that extra distance might help me :) I do plan on bagging the sprint stuff with exception of 100fly, everything else will be distance.

Im still checking flights, thus far cheapest from ohio I found was 300, dont think I will find much better than that. Not that bad until you multiply it by 4!

Ann, how many people you have going from up north? Im working on 2 guys I train with to convince them to go.

Ahelee Sue Osborn
May 27th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Agree w/ jroddin about the pool length, but I'm in.
Haven't been so excited about a LC meet since Australia and that didn't have much to do with the pool!

Flights from California are no more $$ than Atlanta right now.

Which hotel is everyone choosing?
The one with the huge pool near the beach? That's what I'm hearing so far...

JimRude
May 27th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Can you drink the water?

Yes, and be sure to enjoy the drinks with ice cubes, and the ice cream sold by street vendors, too!

Oh, and don't forget a few gals of Pepto Bismol and a couple jars of Immodium in your suitcase.

Allen Stark
May 27th, 2010, 01:38 PM
The only problem I have with the meet is the pool is too long. Approx 25m too long.

That's why I'm going,I love LCM.You get to swim without the wall constantly getting in the way(and don't recommend open water,I'll swim open water when when they offer a 100 M BR.)

swimshark
May 27th, 2010, 01:40 PM
I called my husband today and asked him and he said "we'll talk about it". In John speak that means "no go for me." :(

thewookiee
May 27th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I called my husband today and asked him and he said "we'll talk about it". In John speak that means "no go for me." :(

Then take Matthew. He will have plenty of people to watch him while you swim.

born2fly
May 27th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Ashlee, what hotel is that you are referring to, the Embassy Suites?

Rich Abrahams
May 27th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I'll be going along with Greg Scott and I believe Kathy Garnier from Colo. I'm not sure who else from around here.
I know the Groselles are going and were all staying at the hotel that is directly on the beach. I believe it's the Courtyard Marriott.
Rich

Chris Stevenson
May 27th, 2010, 06:02 PM

My wife is fluent in that language. But this time she just gave me an eye-roll and said "no." Not much wiggle-room there...!

pwb
May 27th, 2010, 07:02 PM
My wife is fluent in that language. But this time she just gave me an eye-roll and said "no." Not much wiggle-room there...!Another year, another no LCM Nationals for me due to bad timing, but I'm going to leverage all my cards with my wife to be in Omaha in 2012.

swimshark
May 27th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Then take Matthew. He will have plenty of people to watch him while you swim.

Actually my neighbor's parents, who I know well, live there so I'd have built-in babysitters and tour guides. But chances are, I will be post-surgery then.

My wife is fluent in that language. But this time she just gave me an eye-roll and said "no." Not much wiggle-room there...!

LOL!

Donna
May 27th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I am going with a friend, my daughter and her friend. We will be staying at the Embassey Suites, the one on the shuttle route.

kristilynn
May 28th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Isn't August hurricane season in the Caribbean?

Rob Copeland
May 28th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Isn't August hurricane season in the Caribbean?

Yes, but there has been 1 hurricane in PR in the last 100 years during this time frame. We has 2 at nationals in Georgia a few years ago.

Allen Stark
May 31st, 2010, 01:52 AM
Any idea when online entry is available?

matysekj
May 31st, 2010, 09:04 AM
Any idea when online entry is available?

Hopefully tomorrow, maybe Wednesday.

Karlene
June 1st, 2010, 12:19 PM
Are there plans to have a warm-up break on Wednesday between the women's 400 free and the women's 200 back? If not, there is little rest between the two events unless you totally sandbag your 400 free time to get in an early heat. This is in contrast to the men's 400 free which has both relays and the women's 50 breast between individual events.

Doug Adamavich
June 1st, 2010, 01:44 PM
I plan on going. Just got to get my flight figured out and which hotel I will be staying at. May need a roommate though, not many guys from AZ are coming out to this meet from what I hear. The few that I know who are going are bringing their wives.

Anyway, should be a lot of fun and a great break from the AZ heat!

barryf
June 1st, 2010, 02:26 PM
From page 41 of the May-June Swimmer magazine under Warm-up Times:
On Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday the competition pool will also be open for warm-up for 30 minutes following the last heat of the first event, the 400 IM, and 400 Free.

thewookiee
June 1st, 2010, 02:35 PM
Just a reminder for all those that hated the Atlanta pool, the one in San Juan is a duplicate of the Atlanta pool.

jroddin
June 1st, 2010, 02:41 PM
Just a reminder for all those who loved the Atlanta pool, the one in San Juan is a duplicate of the Atlanta pool...:D

thewookiee
June 1st, 2010, 02:44 PM
Just a reminder for all those who loved the Atlanta pool, the one in San Juan is a duplicate of the Atlanta pool...:D

LOL! I personally love the atlanta pool. Had some good swims in the past there.

born2fly
June 1st, 2010, 02:48 PM
May be a replica but no bulkheads to contend with. As long as the starting system is not same as Atlanta, it will be fine with me.

thewookiee
June 1st, 2010, 03:19 PM
May be a replica but no bulkheads to contend with. As long as the starting system is not same as Atlanta, it will be fine with me.

Well, there will be at least one bulkhead, as the pool can be set up for 2-25 meter courses.

Karlene
June 1st, 2010, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the warm-up info, Barry. Haven't gotten my magazine yet.

That Guy
June 1st, 2010, 07:46 PM
Another year, another no LCM Nationals for me due to bad timing, but I'm going to leverage all my cards with my wife to be in Omaha in 2012.

+1 on all counts. This is known as Omaha Hold Em.

swimshark
June 1st, 2010, 07:58 PM
Another year, another no LCM Nationals for me due to bad timing, but I'm going to leverage all my cards with my wife to be in Omaha in 2012.

I got a yes for Omaha, too :banana:

nancyk
June 9th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I'm going and staying at the Courtyard. The plane for us was really expensive.

Someone told us the traffic is really bad, so the shuttle might be the way to go.

We want to go to the arecibo observatory, from the movie Contact and the James Bond movie, but we haven't looked to know if it is open to the public.

thewookiee
June 9th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I'm going and staying at the Courtyard. The plane for us was really expensive.

Someone told us the traffic is really bad, so the shuttle might be the way to go.

We want to go to the arecibo observatory, from the movie Contact and the James Bond movie, but we haven't looked to know if it is open to the public.

I am planning on getting 2 shuttle passes. We are staying at the Courtyard as well. I don't want the hassle of taxi's or rental cars. I like the fact that the hotel is right near the airport, esp. since we will be arriving late on Saturday night.

I found flights from Atlanta for $294/ticket.

Betsy
June 9th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I am definitely going to use the shuttle.
My family spent a week in San Juan for Christmas 08. I was never so happy to turn in a rental car! My biggest problem was that roads didn't seem marked far enough in advance to get in the correct lane.
However, to do any good sightseeing outside of San Juan, a car may be necessary. I was amazed at how helpful and firendly people were. I am definitely looking forward to a return visit.