PDA

View Full Version : What does the "JA" stand for in GAJA?

ElaineK
June 30th, 2010, 07:14 PM
I proudly wear my GAJA t-shirt from Nationals, when I go to our community pool to swim. Everybody asks me what "GAJA" stands for. I got the "GA" part of it, and, I know we are a regional "super team", but what the heck is "JA"? I'm a newbie in Masters and don't have a clue! I also could not find the answer on the Georgia Masters website. :confused:

Lump
June 30th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Nothing.....its a stupid play on the southern way of saying Georgia.....like "jaw-ja". The dumbest thing I know.

swimsuit addict
June 30th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I think you should make up something to tell people--sometimes a good story is better than the truth (or at least more entertaining). Maybe "Georgia Aquatic Jubilee Association?" "Giant Abalone and Jellyfish Alliance?" I'm sure you can think of something good.:)

want2beafish
July 1st, 2010, 08:29 AM
Nothing.....its a stupid play on the southern way of saying Georgia.....like "jaw-ja". The dumbest thing I know.
Dumb, definitely. Although I have to admit that for the women, the "Lady GAJA" title isn't all that bad. At least for this year. :)

ElaineK
July 1st, 2010, 01:40 PM

Lump, are you SERIOUS??? :rolleyes: If your response had come from, say, Aquageek, I would have definitely thought it was a joke. But, coming from you (one who comes off on the forums with more straight forward responses), I'm starting to believe it's actually true. :shakeshead:

All I can say is YIKES! :blush:

Lump
July 1st, 2010, 10:43 PM
Lump, are you SERIOUS??? :rolleyes: If your response had come from, say, Aquageek, I would have definitely thought it was a joke. But, coming from you (one who comes off on the forums with more straight forward responses), I'm starting to believe it's actually true. :shakeshead:

All I can say is YIKES! :blush:

That is the truth as I know it.....yep, its THAT bad.

ElaineK
July 2nd, 2010, 02:50 PM
That is the truth as I know it.....yep, its THAT bad.

I think I'll stick with, "I don't have a clue..." :blush:

bergsteiger
July 8th, 2010, 12:54 AM
I had no idea either and yeah that is pretty bad. Well, now we know.

Rob Copeland
July 8th, 2010, 10:52 AM

As immortalized by Madame Von Schtupp "it's twue, it's twue"

thewookiee
July 8th, 2010, 11:19 AM

Probably the only way people in Georgia could pronounce the name of the state :)

ElaineK
July 8th, 2010, 03:18 PM
As immortalized by Madame Von Schtupp "it's twue, it's twue"

Ohhhhh GAWWWWWD! :rolleyes: Hey, Rob, how the heck are ya? Are you going to the meet on August 1st? If so, I'll see ya there. I wonder if Bob Bugg is going... I never did hook up with him.

What's the temp. these days at the Kedron pool? Our pool has skyrocketed to 88 with the heater off and it's killing me! :badday: But, tomorrow, I'm taking a break and heading out to the Steve Lunquist pool to work with Mike Slotnick. :applaud:

Hope to see ya on the 1st! By the way, it's Bruce's birthday that day and he has so generously agreed to accompany me to the meet. Perhaps I should bring cupcakes and candles... :cake:

ElaineK
July 8th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Probably the only way people in Georgia could pronounce the name of the state :)

As a new Georgian (I'm a native Southern Californian), I wonder what natives think of the way I pronoune my new state: "GORgia"

Sometimes, I can't understand what the heck these Georgians are saying... :afraid:

thewookiee
July 8th, 2010, 03:54 PM
As a new Georgian (I'm a native Southern Californian), I wonder what natives think of the way I pronoune my new state: "GORgia"

Sometimes, I can't understand what the heck these Georgians are saying... :afraid:

Well, if ya want to be around awhile, you might want to learn to say it like everyone else :)

Aymese
April 29th, 2013, 07:53 PM
It stands for Georgia Joint Alliance

Betsy
April 30th, 2013, 03:30 PM
As a southerner, it always seemed natural to me - the correct way to pronounce Georgia.
I travel with a teammate from Maine and one from London; I often have to translate for them.

Britt03
May 1st, 2013, 08:24 AM
totally with you on how stupid GAJA is for the super team. I was involved in a bunch of conversations in Omaha last year where people were brainstorming for a new name.
I'm sure if somebody came up with something better, it won't be an issue changing it.

WPSWIMS
May 3rd, 2013, 10:01 PM
In 1983 we used GAM which stood for Georgia Masters. GAKW which stood for Georgia Killer Whales started in 1986. It was fun being part of the GAJA team for many years. It was fun seeing old friends at the West Gwinnett meet last weekend. Will be back in GA in a couple of weeks.
Hope to see you at the UGA meet.

ElaineK
May 4th, 2013, 09:37 PM
I recently learned, according to Walter Lean, that GAJA stands for Georgia Joint Alliance . I feel a little better about wearing my GAJA shirt now. :D