PDA

View Full Version : Speedos

jaykrall
August 20th, 2003, 11:56 AM
a

Mike
August 20th, 2003, 05:45 PM
I just started swimming about a month ago and I just can't bring myself to wear one - I have to stick with the baggy ones. Seems most of the guys at my gym do as well. I still sort of chuckle in my head every time I see a speedo (old habits die hard), but you can rest assured that the guys wearing them chuckle even harder in their heads at me when they see me swim.

Phil Arcuni
August 20th, 2003, 07:07 PM
I agree with Mike - one of the funniest things I see are guys trying to fight the drag of baggy swim trunks.

It makes my day!:)

The only thing funnier are the guys who sag with their pants. Wait - even funnier are the guys that sag with their baggy swim trunks!

Seriously, I think this is a more recent issue - I have no memory of being self conscious about wearing small trunks (speedos) or being teased about it. Its interesting being old enough to see a major swing in what is considered appropriate for modesty - from less conservative to more conservative. I would never have expected this when I was younger.

Nate
August 20th, 2003, 09:36 PM
I can't tell you about us older guys that made the switch. I started wearing speedo's almost 50 years ago. But I can tell you that a number of young boys refuse to go out for the swim team because they would have to wear speedo's. The boys are used to seeing their sports heroes in long shorts. Basketball shorts are much longer than they were 10 years ago. As a result, so are leisure shorts and swim suits for men. It makes it really tough for a teenager to wear something that the main stream is not. The situation is just another inhibitor (lack of college programs) to boys getting into swimming.

JC_FLY
August 20th, 2003, 11:24 PM
I have no problem wearing speedo's at all, I am comfortable with my body, They improve your speed so you don't have so much drag, and If you have a good body, the girls like them too.

cinc3100
August 20th, 2003, 11:38 PM
Well, I like Speedo's over what Johnny Weismuller's wore. But when you think of it the body swim suits and the half-body are somewhat similar to some of the swim suits of the early 20th century but more effective. What women wore at the turn of the 20th century would really caused people to laugh. They had to be cover foot to toe and wear a shower cap. Anyway,Phil, Speedo became popular in the sexy 1960's and their were mini-skirts for women in those days.

cinc3100
August 20th, 2003, 11:46 PM
Well, about the lack of swimming programs for men in college preventing them into getting into swimming. What about swimmers like Laura Val and Donna de Varona who didn't get to swim in college because most of the programs in the 1960's and early1970's were geared toward guys. Yet, women still did swim. I think the guys situation in college today is still better than the women's situation was in 1971 when Laura Val left swimming senior level swimming.

laineybug
August 21st, 2003, 08:46 AM
If I could respond anonymously to this thread I would tell you exactly what I think about men in speedos and jammers! :D

Lainey

aquageek
August 21st, 2003, 09:31 AM
Any right minded swimmer (non European) would no more wear a speedo to the lake, beach or any recreational outing than he/shewould wear a tuxedo to a rodeo.

Speedos are the main tool of the trade and should only be worn while exercising. If non swimming women or children are within eye sight a pair of trunks must be worn upon entry to the water and then removed once in the water so that swimming in the Speedo can commence. There is no glory in parading around in a Speedo, it is a bad look.

swimsum
August 21st, 2003, 09:49 AM
I agree with aquageek, The Look has to fit the person and the activity. I am a lifeguard, as well as a fitness swimmer, and when some guy comes into the pool in a speedo and he can't swim very well, we all crack up. But, the serious swimmer in a speedo, goggles, & probably a cap is viewed as normal. Play with the kids in regular trunks and when you swim well enough (a mile in under 45 minutes or so -- nothing major competitive), by all means wear the speedo and enjoy the glide through the water ... the only people laughing are ones who are jealous of your ability.

I think it is just as funny when the guy who can swim fairly well, is wearing some baggy knee-length shorts, just messing up his workout.

jaykrall
August 21st, 2003, 10:42 AM
a

Jesse's Girl
August 21st, 2003, 11:35 AM
My boyfriend has been a swimmer basically his entire life (we are 21 now) and he always wears a speedo. In high school he was made fun of mercilessly, but all in good fun. Prom night he arrived to our after-prom party at a friend's house in his tuxedo jacket, bow tie and speedo. It was hilarious to say the least. Until recently he didn't even own swim trunks and would wear his speedo to pool parties.(Although I don't recommend everyone doing this. You have to have a lot guts to do that and expect to be teased.) I think that if you wear a speedo to the beach or even to lap swim please have a) the right size- no one wants to see your bootie-crack and b) just be fit in general- we should be able to see the speedo ;)

At the pool I swim at you can always tell the less experienced swimmer by what they swim in. Baggy board shorts = goofing off taking up valuable lane space swimmers. Speedo/Jammers= generally know what they are doing and are "real" swimmers. I think we work out hard enough with natural drag. Why torture ourselves more with huge shorts to weigh us down.

My boyfriend was the head coach of a summer league swim team and all the boys except for two had the jammers. I think the new coolness of jammers will help boys get over their self-consciousness and come out for the team.
Although you can't beat the cuteness of a little 5-year old boy in a speedo.

cinc3100
August 21st, 2003, 11:53 AM
Well, you have to be careful sometimes with speedos. I seen a little too much when I was 12 years old. This 15 year old guy accidently sit in a position to show something he shouldn't. The baggy wear is popular because of the popularly of the ghetto sub-culture which baggy pants are popular. But in time that look will disappear.

laineybug
August 21st, 2003, 12:02 PM
My daughter related a story from my grandaughter's swim team. It seems that a young boy about 7 or 8 , who was dressed out in jammers a couple of sizes too small, was just flat out refusing to get in the pool one day. The coach finally asked him what the problem was and he said that the draw string around his waist was missing and he was afraid his jammers would come off (yeah right). The coach asked him how the string became lost and the child said the cat and dog played tug-of-war with it. The coach turned around and walked away laughing. The kid finally got in after watching the other swimmers having fun. AND GUESS WHAT? They didn't fall off!

eliana2003
August 21st, 2003, 01:15 PM
Wow- there are some great replies regarding speedo etiquette… it’s a shame that no one here in Florida is aware of them! I mean, the sights on the beach during tourist season… oi vey- I should go blind by what I see! Just out of curiosity, since it is such a faux pas to wear speedos at the beach, is it equally gauche for women to wear training/racing suits to swim on the beach?

Having said that, most of the guys at the pool where I train wear speedos; in fact, anyone wearing the baggy swim shorts are thought of as being a bit odd…

Shaky
August 21st, 2003, 04:16 PM
Add me to the group that distinguishes between workout and leisure. I would never wear my Speedos for leisure swimming, to the lake, beach or water park. I would never wear baggy trunks when I'm trying to work out. When I'm working out, I'm there for a specific purpose and don't really care what anybody else thinks of how I look in a suit.

To me, these are comfort issues. Baggy trunks are more comfortable to goof around in. Trim suits are more comfortable for swimming.

Different activities, different wardrobe.

Sabretooth Tiger
August 21st, 2003, 04:17 PM
Just an interesting observation (to me at least) regarding the beach comments. When I swam in high school (early 70's) and now in my recent return to Masters, I would never even think of wearing speedos to the beach . . . never did.

But when we head to the beach for open water swim training, my teammates and I never give it a second thought. I have no idea what those around us may think, but where I would be completely self conscious and embarrased if I wore a speedo for surfing, body boarding, or just plain hanging out, I don't have any such qualms when racing or training at the beach.

For what it's worth.

carl

jerrycat
August 21st, 2003, 05:07 PM
So, yes, that was a good question earlier--is it appropriate for women to wear speedos at the beach? (Since we all obviously have the same kind of viewpoint for men in speedos at the beach during leisure and not training...)

It's totally awesome when men train they wear speedos. I don't care what kind of "shape" they're in. For the most part, my eyes don't feel the need to fall out or go blind, but it would be absolutely ridiculous for the men to wear regular swim trunks--talk about not looking the part of a swimmer!

And, nothing is more sexy than a well sculpted male swimmer in a speedo. Meow! Now that's something they should've showcased on Baywatch!
;)
Jerrycat

WaterRat
August 21st, 2003, 06:17 PM
I would never wear a Speedo to a beach and question those that do. I usually work out on my own at a health club where Speedos are definitely not the norm. There are only a handful of serious lap swimmers who wear them. Even though I'm in good shape and one of the better swimmers, I can't quite seem to get over the embarrassment of others checking me out in my Speedo. As a result, I end up doing a happy medium. The swimsuit I wear is a beach short that goes about 1/2 way to the knee. However, I found out that it is important to get ones without pockets. On more than one occasion I had to slyly go back to the locker room after blowing out the side of the suit from top to bottom after doing backstroke starts. The water resistance form the pockets must cause them to rip.

Regarding women wearing training/racing suits to swim on the beach? As long as they are in half way decent shape, I have no problem with it. It's amazing what you will see on some of the beaches on some of the out of shape folks- especially in Hawaii.

Scansy
August 21st, 2003, 09:04 PM
I have been a swimmer off and on (not compettitive) for about 12 years. I only started to wear jammers recently - and I can't imagine wearing speedos. At least not until I drop some more weight. Jerrycat would NOT say meow if she saw me in a speedo!

I was really surprised at how much difference the jammers made. I am definitely faster - and I feel more like a swimmer - if that makes sense. Maybe I will start to shave too....

I guess I was the dorkie looking swimmer doing a workout with beach wear on for all those years!

KenChertoff
August 21st, 2003, 09:23 PM
I swim at a pool where most -- almost all -- of the users are serious swimmers, so it's the people who DON'T wear speedos who are considered dorky. :cool: But, like a lot of the others who have answered, I would feel a little strange wearing them on vacation at a beach -- even though I find baggy trunks very hard to swim in.

zoomer
August 21st, 2003, 09:39 PM
The average male would probably not be comfortable wearing a Speedo. We, the female population, would probably not enjoy seeing an average male in a Speedo. However, if you have ever been to a national meet, you will not find average males. You will find the men conditioned, toned and very self-assured - and looking great in their Speedos or jammers. Meow, nothing.....more like Grrrrrrrrrr. And yes, most of my male friends would wear their Speedos to the beach. They look great and they are self-confident, so why not?

cinc3100
August 21st, 2003, 11:40 PM
As for wearing speedos at the beach. The last time I wore any swim wear at the beach was in the early 1980's and it was a speedo. The old speedos had more support for women than the newer ones. I now have a dolphin brand suit and it fits better with my large breasts-Speedos for women are not made for us with large breasts. As for guys probably for most wearing a wet suit or more baggy pants are fine at the beach. As for surfing I grew up in California and never learn how too.

90 or bust
August 22nd, 2003, 08:49 AM
I'm from the UK and can see that we clearly have some major cultural differences in this area. In fact, this thread has made me worry about my swims in hotel pools on my occasional visits to the US - shouldn't I pack the speedos next time?

Over here its quite normal for all shapes and sizes to wear speedos. I'd say that >50% casual swimmers, >80% of lap swimmers and ~100% club swimmers wear them. You might be interested to know that in France, for some reason (which I confess I don't understand but I think has something to do with hygiene) they don't allow men to wear 'shorts' in many public swimming pools so you have to wear speedos.

lefty
August 22nd, 2003, 10:13 AM
The only reason that there is a stigma in this country about wearing a speedo is because we live in a homphobic society. I thought that was obvious. I, for one, don't suffer from that problem so I'll wear a speedo while cutting the grass or washing the car. Okay the last part was a joke, I hire someone to cut the grass.

aquageek
August 22nd, 2003, 10:37 AM
What is the world are you talking about lefty? Are called Lefty cause you have ideas from left field? Homophobic?

Good grief, this has been a lighthearted discussion about Speedos and you make this rash claim. C'mon, get real.

I think it is fairly accepted practice in the US (not sure what the rules are in Europe but apparently they are quite different and not in a good way) that you wear a Speedo for working out if you want to. You certainly would not be caught dead in a casual swimming environment in a Speedo.

ggawboy
August 22nd, 2003, 10:39 AM
The reason I use speedos is pretty simple. If I use the beach party swimming trunks they tend to fall off when I push off from the wall, no matter how tight I tie them on. All things considered, when I am trying to get a workout in, I would rather not have to stop periodically to pull my suit back up.

This is probably less of an issue for people who didn't do a lot of squats with high weights in college/HS though.

BTW I am living proof that strong legs does not equal a strong kick. I am one of those people who go backwards on a board unless I bend my knees so much that I am not really kicking like a swimmer anymore.

cinc3100
August 22nd, 2003, 11:21 AM
Why not develop swim wear in-between the extremes. The shorts that male lifeguards wear is not too baggy. Women wear has store suites in-between the swimming suits for competition and I wear the a store suit during workout when I have my monthly cycle.

lizzie
August 22nd, 2003, 01:18 PM
Apparently, I hang out at the Hollywood Beach in Chicago too much because I agree with Lefty.

There are so many men in Speedos, thongs, etc. in this casual swimming environment. The only guys not in speedos are the straight guys who are too worried that they would get checked out by or compared to the guys in the speedos, thongs, etc.

Didn't anyone watch Queer Eye for the Straight Guy last night - the straight guy and one of the hosts were getting "spray-on" tans while wearing very small speedo looking underwear. The straight guy pointed out that this was his most embarassing moment - standing in a speedo next to a gay guy whom he thought might be checking him out...

I say go for it Lefty and wash that car in the speedo- and I hope you have teenage children to embarass the heck out of...

aquageek
August 22nd, 2003, 05:23 PM
So, because of two people's limited observations we are now going to classify the entire US population as homophobic? Now there's a slippery slope and a far stretch as it relates to a casual observation about Speedo wearing.

Here's my own slippery slope limited experience observation - any dude who wears a Speedo while just socializing at the pool/beach/etc is a dork, regardless of sexulaity, spirituality or 50m freestyle time.

Go to Europe. Apparently it's all the rage to lounge in your Speedo there. They also forego deodorant, try that on for size here in the "homophobic" USA.

Men in Speedos on the beach - that's horrible. Maybe the tank top for men (aka "the wifebeater") is making a comeback also and we could combine the two worst beach fashions ever.

Phil Arcuni
August 22nd, 2003, 06:45 PM
Oh, Aquageek, such strong opinions!

You're right, I would not want to be caught dead in my speedos in a public swimming area - but I would be caught alive!

Mostly, I wear whatever I can find in my messy bedroom, with the following considerations: If I will do lots of body surfing, I bring my Speedos. If I will spend lots of time in the sun and sand, I bring my shorts (mostly because I remain convinced that sun and sand make my speedos decay more rapidly, and they are too expensive.)

I much prefer to spend time on European beaches - they are more casual and more friendly, with a lot less ogling at young women, less judgement about whether men are dorks, less concern about appearance, and more time spent having fun.

As for the gay thing, since I am a happily married man, I have the same response to looks by gay men that I have for looks by straight women - appreciation that I can still get favorable looks at the age of 44.

Are none of the posters here bothered by the sexism in this thread: that it is OK for women to wear much more revealing suits than it is for men to wear?

Or how about the 'bodyism' in this thread: It is OK to wear revealing suits if you are good looking?

cinc3100
August 22nd, 2003, 10:33 PM
Its kind of funny that we are worrying about more about modesty in men rather than women. A 100 years ago, the women had to be covered from head to toe if they were swimming,not so with the men. Think about those tong bathing suits for women. As for homosexuality, the anicent Greeks that practice relations between grown men and teenage boys were also concern about their women being modest-their women could not watch them in the olympic games because they were nude. Maybe, the sex revolution in the 1960's had a strange twist to it, we are more concern about men being have also nude than women in swimming suits with the exception of men showing their chests in public.

Tom Ellison
August 23rd, 2003, 11:34 AM
Gosh, this threat warmed up a bit....
Having lost my entire right back side after being squashed under a 28 ton dump truck in 1977, I was a bit uncomfortable wearing my Speedo to workout the first time. But, after that first workout I never gave it one seconds thought again. I LOVE United States Masters Swimmers....because they could care LESS!
I only wear a Speedo during workouts and meets (USMS type stuff). I wear Beach Boys type Jams at the beach and lake. I do that because it is what makes ME comfortable. As to having guys look at me in a Speedo...or... the ladies.....whatever....whatever floats your boat...And if seeing a 53 year old Masters Swimmer with half a back side winds their watch....Well, maybe they need glasses more then I need to wear Jams...SMILE....
Life is way to short as it is....let's worry about the stuff that really matters...like who's on first...

BackAgain
August 23rd, 2003, 08:01 PM
SPEEDO THE UNDERWEAR SUIT!

That's what my 9 yr old son calls it! And I can't get him to wear anything else! He has always hung around the pool, esp. since my daughter has been swimming USA the past 3 yrs. Recently, he wanted to give competitive swimming a try- so last year when we were looking at suit styles- he fell in love with the Speedo " the underwear suit". At first his teammates (esp. the young females) teased him, but he just shrugged it off and told them that's what the really fast older boys wear! Of course, they were singing a different tune when he passed them in the pool!

He even suprised me with the versatility of the Speedo....one day,
while putting away the laundry, I entered his room to find a scene totally reminiscent of "Risky Business"- My son in his shades and a Speedo dancing and singing in front of his mirror!!
:D

Matt S
August 24th, 2003, 02:22 PM
Aquageek,

Let's add a couple of details to you picture. In addition to the thong and tank top, imagine an orange floppy "Gilligan" hat (the kind they sell at theme parks to make those of us too stupid to rember a hat, or hang on to it during the rides, look ridiculous), white lifeguard style sun screen on the nose, mirror shades, and sandals with black calf length socks!

Yoy! And double Yoy! Don't think about it too long, or you will go blind!

Matt

MegSmath
August 25th, 2003, 01:39 PM
Re: is it OK for women to wear Speedos at the beach too ...

My first experience wearing a racing suit was when I was swimming on a summer league team as a kid. I will show my age here by confessing these were the nylon, scoop-back suits with the panel in front. My mother was aghast that they did not have built-in bras, and insisted on buying me one like she would buy for herself, with the foam-rubber bra. It made me look like Jayne Mansfield. Plus, they soaked up water to the point you could actually feel the increased drag. I was more embarrassed to wear the suit with the bra than one without (it just wasn't appropriate for the setting), so I went in the bathroom with my mom's sewing scissors, cut the bra out, and deposited it in the trash in the bathroom. The next evening we had the preacher over for dinner, and as everyone was sitting around with coffee and dessert, here came the family dog trotting out with the bra from my swimsuit in his mouth!

Those Speedos are going to embarrass you one way or the other!

sftom
August 25th, 2003, 05:03 PM
I wear speedos to the beach, family pools, and when I'm working out. I guess I prefer the "European style" even when I'm swimming casually, although I'm an American. And speedos are more comfortable and functional, especially when you're swimming in the ocean. I bet a lot of American men would find this to be true if they weren't so intimidated by the so-called "rules" of fashion.

aztimm
August 26th, 2003, 03:39 PM
It seems strange to me that so many people feel it is not good for a guy to wear a speedo in public (beach, public pool, etc) while I've seen women parade around in something that more resembles dental floss. And someone mentioned it depends on if they guy is in shape? Who are we to judge who is good enough to wear one or not??

As for me, I wear whatever the occasion calls for. When invited to another home, I will generally wear something fairly conservative (shorts), with a speedo-type suit underneath. This came in especially handy when in Europe. Also, in Japan, the pool I used did not allow anything but speedo-style suits (and also required caps BTW).

Back in 1995, I lifeguarded at a water park in Allentown, PA, the kind where the lifeguards really do go in the water to pull people out (I had about 25 saves in 2 months). Anyway, most of the guys cut out the liner of the shorts and wore speedos underneath. They tended to dry faster and hold up better, and it was easy if we wanted to swim laps in the wave pool over breaks.

Just my input on this subject. Will the final article be available online, or can it be posted on the USMS site somehow?

Tim Murphy
Sun Devil Masters

cinc3100
August 26th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Meg,I remember those types of swim suits for women or girls in our case back then that your mother made you wear. Actually, one of my extra suits I got when I was even fatter and started back into swimming is similar but it works great for workouts. And did anyone read the article about Rita Egan in Swim Magazine who is 220 pounds and buys her swim suits from Walmart. She can't fit into the regular swim suits that we wear and I who weight in the 190's is at the upper limits of not wearing swim suits from Walmart. And there are men whose weight and size prevent them from wearing speedos.

Jc2000
August 26th, 2003, 08:46 PM
At one time, I refused to even consider wearing a competitive suit. They seeemed, ah, a bit more revealing than I liked. Then, they were expensive--I could get three pairs of trunks on clearance at Target at the end of summer for the price of one Speedo.

I drifted away from swimming for a couple of years. I came back this spring. I read something that said that even lap swimmers benefit from a competitive suit. I figured I might as well try one. It felt a bit odd putting it on the first time--to say the least.

Since that time, I've come to love my Tyr. I don't know if it makes me faster--for me, rotten ability probably has more of an impact than the style of swim suit. But, it's certainly a lot more comfortable.

In addition, I don't think it's much more revealing than the previous suit I'd had. But, then, I was careful to avoid buying the tightest size I could fit into. It also has a fairly modest cut.

It'll be interesting to see if I ever wear trunks again. I'm afraid I'm not one who's particulary worried about the ins and outs of swim suits. As long as it works for how I swim, and allows me to avoid an indecent exposure rap, I'm happy.

jwalker
August 26th, 2003, 09:10 PM
Hello everyone, new to the forums here. I just started my return to swimming as well. I haven't swam since I was in junior high.

Anyway, it has been a while since I've swam. I've put a on a little weight since the time. I'm about 6'0 185 lbs, but I'm not grossly overweight or anything.

The other day I bought a couple of speedo 1" solar suits. They are kind of skimpy around the sides but they help when I do laps. I don't care what other people think about me, they can think whatever they want to. All I'm there to do is to swim for fitness and possibly compete someday. If other people want to waste time and gawk at me, let them.

I think speedo's should be more accepted by America's standards. It's not like we are prancing around naked or anything. Plus they are more comfortable and practical for water use.

Glen
August 26th, 2003, 09:29 PM
I have been wearing my TYR suit with boxer lenght legs for training and then switch to Speedo at meets. I do once in awhile wear my small speedo at the pool for training and think nothing of it, as well most of our swimmers wear speedos at the pool and some even drop down two sizes for swim meets, I only drop down one size.
The only reason I wear my other one for training is that it costs less and will last for a good year wear as my racing one would only last a couple of months if I used it daily.

laineybug
August 26th, 2003, 09:40 PM
ladies can you believe the men are complaining about the price of their racing speedos? I just checked Kiefers... 28.00 racing speedos/55.50 womans suit in the same style.

JOHN PAUL
August 27th, 2003, 08:23 AM
Obviously they reduce drag but I wouldn't be seen dead in one.

:eek:

aquageek
August 27th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Out of curiosity, John Paul, what do you wear at competitions?

freedivemd
August 27th, 2003, 11:26 AM
This is to aquageek and like minded. I wear my speedo where ever there is water. Speedos are practical: dry quickly, allow a good all over tan, cool (as in temperature), allow free movement.

Also some of us think they look good, even on guys that aren't particularly well proportioned. I get tired of the fashion police always barking out their rules/opinions. If the sight of a speedo offends you so bad, look the other way and ponder why it is that you get so upset over something so unimportant. Jeez!!

Mark

matt37
August 27th, 2003, 12:26 PM
Aquageek, if you don't think homophobia plays a HUGE part in men not wearing Speedos, perhaps you should do a little research.

America's homophibia is one of the biggest reasons why most men won't wear one. The other largest factor is the fact that everyone else is (or seems to be, rather) wearing baggy shorts and they don't want to be seen as "different". A lot of people (of both sexes) talk negatively about folks wearing Speedos, so it becomes ingrained in them that it is a bad thing. Finally, there is no longer any requirement that kids take showers after PE in school, and this means that kids no longer see guys without any clothes on like their fathers, gradnfathers, etc., did. This just makes them even more insecure whenever they are near someone who has a hint some portion of the area between their knees and their navel remotely visible. Certainly, wearing a Speedo, it is kind of hard not to have some level of detail visible. No different than a woman's bikini, however. (I'll expand on that if anyone thinks it is necessary)

I'm always amazed at the fact that one reason women say they don't like Speedos on guys is that they mainly see the overweight guys wearing them. I can't argue with that given that more and more Americans are obese these days. At the same time, however, we don't hear the outcry against larger women wearing bikinis and revealing swimwear.

I personally wear thongs on the beach to lay out in because I like as much of me tanned as I can get (I hate looking like an Oreo cookie), and nothing beats swimming in the ocean with that little on. If thongs are not legal, I have a couple of Speedos to wear. I have a well-toned body so I guess I am a little less self-concious about wearing them. Even if I didn't though, as far as I'm concerned, if you don't want to look, please exercise the muscles in your neck and turn your head the other way.

I hang out with friends, some of whom wear Speedos, the majority of which wear regular swim trunks and some even wear those dorky-looking, past-the-knee-length swim capris for men (they are the same length as capri pants, aren't they?). They have no problems with it, and the women are always hanging around me. Tough job, but someone's got to do it ;-)

My first post here - glad I found a non-controversial subject to start out with!

Matt F.

jerrycat
August 27th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Freedive! That is the most awesome picture!! Meow, Baby!
Jerrycat
;)

aquageek
August 27th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Such male sensititivy on this topic.

First, I wear Speedos, WHEN I WORK OUT. I don't wear them on the beach because my kids would properly file for parental divorce.

Second, I'm still not sure how the whole homophobia thing snuck in this thread. Get a grip! Take that thread to a forum that is dedicated to that topic. When I workout with people, I don't think I've ever once in my life thought about their sexuality, doesn't make a bit of difference.

Third, that picture was great, in a disturbing yet comical way!

Fourth, a man in a thong is a bad, bad idea. It should be prohibited and I'm in consultation with some friends at the UN to make this an international punishable offense, not quite on par with war crimes or crimes against humanity, but certainly a crime against the eyes. There are things no human should ever see. One is me in the 400 fly. The other is a hairy man butt barely covered by a man thong.

Finally, for all you man thong beach Speedo wearing nuts, don't fool yourselves, people are pointing and talking about you. It's not a good look. You can tell yourself that it is but IT'S NOT.

sftom
August 27th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Call me crazy, but a man who would make a personal decision about attire based on whether his children would approve might be considered rather craven.

swimsum
August 28th, 2003, 09:47 AM
craven, adj. Characterized by abject fear; cowardly. n. A coward.

Why should we all have to look it up?!!!

cinc3100
August 28th, 2003, 11:19 AM
Homosexual accept in ancient Greece isn't as clear-out as I wrote previously. I was inform that a tyrant Draco put people to death for such practices particulary with teenage boys. Also, Plato wrote remarks against it and I believe the famous biographer Plutrach wrote against it. Now, in some social circles some practice a form of it but thought anal intercourse was not cool to do. This is the basis for some professors in the United States to believe that it was acceptable among the upper-classes in ancient Greece.

born2fly
August 28th, 2003, 01:07 PM
I find myself having to do a double take to verify that I am actually in the USMS Forum. For some reason, I thought USMS stood for us masters swimming, not US masters smut.

Picture of a man in a tight little speedo obvioulsy to small for him, talk of thongs, and now homosexuality and anal course, how on earth did this thread fall through the cracks.

I come to this forum with the thought of learning more about swimming, techinques and related swimming issues. This thread could actually be scaring away potential new members, then again, it could also be attracting more.

Nauscious in Ohio,
greg

eliana2003
August 28th, 2003, 02:49 PM
I thought that the picture was relevent to the conversation at hand- whilst I'll be the first to admit that I'm rather prudish, I believe that the bulk of this thread is fairly appropriate for the site. I mean, intelligent conversation regarding body image and its relationship to sports is a good thing (especially when the sport that we're discussing advocates, if not demands, that we wear very little to participate in it)... Besides, compared to the rubbish on television these days, I've found this thread to be very mild, to say the least....

peace...

Yardbird
August 28th, 2003, 06:32 PM
Thank you, Swimsum -- very generous of you!

cinc3100
August 29th, 2003, 01:50 AM
There was someone who wanted me to clear it up about homsexuality and the ancient Greeks. But ignore that. Anyway, if someone wants to wear their speedo at the beach that's ok with me.

Jc2000
August 30th, 2003, 07:41 PM
In the past few days, I've been asking people I know about their opinions on the Speedo. I have been surprised to discover that, indeed, there is a somewhat negative opinion. There is one line of thinking that says the Speedo is for gays. One young man went so far as to say that a guy wearing a Speedo looks like he's "in drag." (I thought that a Speedo was supposed to minimize drag....) Then, one woman told me that there have been parents of kids on swim teams who've been very vocal Speedo enemies. The negative view of the Speedo is, I think, a real concern--it may well mean fewer guys go into swimming.

There are some interesting polls talking about Speedos on www.mrpoll.com. (Type Speedo into the search box.) People who've disliked this thread might dislike some of what turns up on these polls. However, I found it an interesting view of what some ordinary people think of Speedos.

On a lighter note, one woman told me that she thought that Speedo should be outlawed. It's passe, she said.

Getting back to the original question, and for those who have held out on wearing a Speedo type of suit. I think one learns to adapt to it pretty quickly. It felt strange wearing my Tyr for the first time, but that passed by the end of the evening. And, within one lap, I knew why a Speedo-type of suit works better. All in all, I think it was harder getting used to wearing just swim trunks in public (I started swimming as an adult.) I frankly wish I'd taken the plunge (heh, heh) a long time ago. It's much better, even for a plain lap swimmer. In fact, of my "swimming consultants", a woman old enough to be my mother, seemed to think "At last!" when I got my new suit.

Most people reading this already know this, but for those who don't, much of the "revealing" nature of a Speedo seems to depend on the cut you buy, and how tight it is.

There has been some talk about jammers. Someone told me to avoid those--she thought that they were worse than the Speedo. (This was based on her observation. Other people's mileage may vary.) She said if modesty was important, some sort of layering (multiple suits, or a drag suit with a Speedo) was better.

heydavis
August 31st, 2003, 09:43 AM
I workout using one of Speedo's trim lined trunk style of suits. It has no pockets and offers a a good deal of drag compared to the tight Speedo. I find that working out in this type of suit and its associated drag is beneficial to me. When it comes to "game day" and I put on that tight jammer, I feel very slick in the water and that psychological aspect is an extra edge for me . Occasionally, I will train in the jammer and my set times will be faster. This keeps me familiar with the feel of the jammer so that it doesn't feel too foreign during a meet. I know folks who will wear two Speedos for the drag aspect, one loose fitting to grab the water. This serves that purpose for me. Would I wear my jammer at the beach or somebody's pool party?...probably not.

MrEarl
September 1st, 2003, 01:58 AM
I've worn speedos since the '70s. I prefer 100% nylon suits because I don't care for the clingy lycra style, and anyway, nylon suits last longer.

I've never worried about fashion rules or comments by rude puritans, because the fact is: baggy pants are uncomfortable for swimming, leave an ugly tan line, and look ridiculous when wet.

Recently, I borrowed a pair of trendy swimming pants just to try them out in the pool. They so interfered with my frog kick that I could hardly do a decent breast stroke.

Sorry if it offends anyone, but if they don't like it, they can look elsewhere, because I'll never be caught swimming in 'Bermudas' again!

swimsum
September 2nd, 2003, 03:30 PM
Today's Chicago Tribune had an article entitled Speedo Brief Still Has Place in Sun. And it's not by Jay Krall -- the origininator of this thread. ... It doesn't focus much on workout swimmers, but for those interested in the topic:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/lifestyle/chi-0309020011sep02,1,6685762.story?coll=chi-leisuretempo-hed

sftom
September 2nd, 2003, 05:47 PM
The same article appeared in the Los Angeles Times last week. I think Mr. Krall said he was from the Wall Street Journal.

Jessetriguy
August 7th, 2005, 02:30 AM
All you guys who can't wear a speedo at the beach or public pool because its wrong or because people stare are a bunch cowards.
You're just afraid of being labeled something other than macho and straight. Please!!! Get over it!

Hawaiiwoman
August 7th, 2005, 03:26 AM
Wear on all you speedo lovers! When I see you, my impression is that you are person who is comfortable in his/her own skin. At last years Waikiki Rough Water Swim, several of us on our masters swim team (women and men) enjoyed and commented on all the wonderful bodies: big ones, small ones, fat ones, skinny ones! Hundreds of people thrashing their way through 2.4 miles. AND most of them wearing speedos! Magnificent!!

Aguageek, why you are so bothered by a man in a speedo? You say that it is a "bad look" but why? :confused:

PeirsolFan
August 7th, 2005, 04:42 AM
And here I was all freaked out by learning the details of Phelps' shaving habits. (Someone shaves his back and part of his legs for him.)

There was some fuss over how tight and low cut some of the suits were in Athens. Whether it's jammers or speedos, both can be overly-revealing so use your best judgment. The photo above is way too revealing for a family swim but if he's doing laps, hey, more power to him.

Leonard Jansen
August 7th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Jessetriguy
All you guys who can't wear a speedo at the beach or public pool because its wrong or because people stare are a bunch cowards.
You're just afraid of being labeled something other than macho and straight. Please!!! Get over it!

Cowards? In my case, the term is "humanitarian." Some things are better left to those who can pull it off with some grace and without jeopardizing anyone's lunch.

-LBJ

F'ueco
August 7th, 2005, 01:46 PM
I wear Speedos only when I am actually doing a swim workout. When I am just hanging at the beach (or hot springs) I'll wear baggies or jammers. I admit that I am a little self conscious.

some_girl
August 7th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Someone above asked about women in training suits at the beach. Unlike men, for women, the more serious the swimming environment, the more you wear: I'd hate to wear a one-piece at the beach (too hot) and I totally laugh at all the girls who show up at the pool in tiny little bikinis.

valhallan
August 7th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Jessetriguy

The image on page four of this thread is absolutely why Speedos should be outlawed in public.

clyde hedlund
August 8th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Speedos are wonderful, for they don't leave a large pond of water for someone to slip and fall on. Please check out the Aussie Surf Lifesavers who all wear Speedo style briefs at the beach. They don't wear coverups. Let's face it, most American males are really not cocksure enough about their masculinity and are obsessed with displaying a flat front. Now that is alarming. clyde

Sam Perry
August 8th, 2005, 06:19 PM
most American males are really not cocksure enough about their masculinity and are obsessed with displaying a flat front. Now that is alarming.

Is it me, or does this sound like an interesting choice of words???!! :D

Blue Horn
August 8th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Being a coward or not cocksure has nothing to do with it. It is about common courtsey. I wouldn't want to wear a speedo at the beach because it is obscene. I am kinda big so people always end up staring at my crotch even if they are talking to me. This can be a little uncomfortable, but its really about common courtsey. If little kids are around I feel that it is inappropriate to be walking around bulging out of your speedo. Frankly, I would be a little upset if I a grown man was all bulging out of his speedo around my little girls in a public forum. I figure it is a common courtesy that I would expect from others so I will do the same. And no, I am glad I am not flat. I just don't feel the need to let everyone know my business. This world could use a little more modesty and humility.

If I swim I wear polyester jammers or nylon trainers. Lycra speedos don't leave much to the imagination on me. Both suits are just as comfortable as a lycra speedo, but are much more modest and respectful of others.

Hook'em
Blue

sftom
August 8th, 2005, 10:10 PM
So, Blue, if you were at the beach and there were Aussie lifeguards nearby, would you cover your little girls' eyes? Are Aussie lifeguards disrespectful and indiscreet?

PeirsolFan
August 8th, 2005, 11:17 PM
I don't think that's a fair question. You have to define swimwear obscenity first.

sftom
August 9th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Thanks for your comment Piersol fan. I think the question is quite clear and "fair," and I would be interested in Blue's response.

mattson
August 9th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Another reason for pools to be kept cooler than the water waders want: for the "shrinkage" factor. :p

If the issue is contours ("eww... he has boy parts", "eww... she has girl parts"), then just wear two suits. It'll smooth things out, especially if one of them is nylon instead of lycra. That was (is?) a standard thing to do (especially for water polo, where suits tend to get ripped).

Just like a women's 1-piece racing suit is nothing like a string bikini, a master's cut nylon suit (for men) is nothing like a lycra thong. Just remind people of that. Not all "speedos" were created equal.

Originally posted by PeirsolFan
And here I was all freaked out by learning the details of Phelps' shaving habits. (Someone shaves his back and part of his legs for him.)

Maybe you can explain an easy way that Phelps could shave down (for a big meet) by himself and still get his back. And it has to be a razor: part of the advantage of shaving is sensitizing the skin.

Blue Horn
August 9th, 2005, 12:33 PM
I would assume that the Aussie lifeguards wear nylon suits, so probably not. Plus, the lifeguards are sitting in the chairs most of the time, and there is a very good reason for them wearing such attire - namely to be less encumbered while trying to save someones life. Like I stated previously, I don't have a problem with the nylon suits. I wouldn't wear one at the beach, but more power to you if you want to. I just do not see why you are a coward or insecure if you want to wear board shorts at the beach instead of something that says HEY LOOK AT ME. Some of you need to get over this hateful attitude toward people with a bit of modesty and humility.

The funniest thing about this thread is the fact that some of you think that the people on the beach see you as this self confident studdly man walking down the beach strutting his stuff when nothing could be further from the truth. Strutting around like a peacock in a day glow man thong is hilarious, its not cool. Thanks for the comic relief though.

One more thing, long board shorts (ie. surf trunks) actually have a function being long. The long shorts keep the wax on the deck of the surf board from balling up in your leg hairs, which is painful and rips out your hair. Even if you shaved your legs, they would be raw and chaffed from the wax (and why I often wear a rash guard to protect my chest while surfing) if you wore speedos while surfing. Since I always surf when I go to the beach, there is no way that I am wearing a speedo. But then again I must be a coward or insecure right?

Hook'em
Blue

gull
August 9th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Why don't I wear Speedos at the beach? Because my wife says they look ridiculous. And in our house, she is the fashion police. Anyway, jammers are a lot more comfortable (but at the beach I prefer board shorts, which according to my teenage daughter are very cool).

sftom
August 9th, 2005, 02:35 PM
I agree, Blue. To each his own. Judgmentalness on either side is unwelcome.

gull
August 9th, 2005, 02:52 PM
To each his own? True. If you wish to look ridiculous, by all means wear your Speedo at the beach.

sftom
August 9th, 2005, 04:09 PM
It's really odd to see such judgmentalness on this subject -- especially from swimmers. Luckily it's behavior that counts, not opinions.

Guvnah
August 9th, 2005, 04:19 PM
I always wear my speedo at the beach. Otherwise I get (what I consider to be) goofy tan lines that look ridiculous when I wear a speedo.

Of course, the question would be moot at the nudist beach!

aquageek
August 9th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Guvnah
I always wear my speedo at the beach. Otherwise I get (what I consider to be) goofy tan lines that look ridiculous when I wear a speedo.

This ties gull80's Glamourshot picture as the most shocking thing ever presented on this forum. Who the heck cares about an adult male's tan lines at a Master's meet or practice?

gull
August 9th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by sftom
It's really odd to see such judgmentalness on this subject -- especially from swimmers.

Not nearly as odd as it is to see the word judgmentalness. You're not by some chance related to George W., are you?

valhallan
August 9th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Thats good Craig.

But what we're really talking about here is the offensivity of it all.
And not the mention the possible medical complexiveness of going blind from seeing naked human bears in public.

Kerry
August 9th, 2005, 07:29 PM
I think anyone (overweight or not) should be able to wear comfortable clothing that is appropriate to the activity they are doing, without being "judged" or snickered at. As long as it's covering the "private parts" then I don't see why a Speedo is so horrible. If someone's "fat" offends you - don't look. I think it's silly and unfair to expect a fat person or a hairy person or someone who's "unattractive" to you to wear baggy clothes that aren't suitable for a workout, just because YOU don't want to see their flaws. Or should they just not work out at all? Isn't the point of it to get healthier (and perhaps lose some weight)? Is being comfortable while swimming a luxury that only the thin should enjoy?

Disclaimer: I'm pretty overweight *and* I wear a one-piece swimsuit to workouts, not a skirted "swimdress" or "swim shorts and swim shirt." I would hope no one is snickering at me or talking about how disgusting I am behind my back, but if they are, it's their problem and it shows what a shallow person they are. I'm there to work out and fix MY health...I could care less if someone is offended by my fat thighs.

Also, I don't plan on raising my daughter to look at men in Speedos as a disgusting or scary thing - I certainly don't think that myself. It's a workout suit, period. I don't go around looking at the "packages" of men who are wearing Speedos and I don't know many women who do...we're pretty mature that way.

aztimm
August 9th, 2005, 07:41 PM
To be fair, I've seen some women in bikini's who really should not be in them (in my opinion), so what's the difference. If I don't like what I see, I don't look again, and try to get that image out of my head.

Where are the police to monitor what women wear and why are the men at fault? Definitely seems like a double standard to me.

PeirsolFan
August 9th, 2005, 08:32 PM
There was a woman this previous month during a lap swim who literally had everyone staring with mouths gaping. Her suit didn't fit properly.

A 180 pound woman in a Speedo racing suit walking clear across the pool deck with the suit forced almost into a thong in the back. No exaggeration. Those are cut high on the legs and narrow in back so if your rear is too big...

I'm sure it was the correct size, but those racing suits are cut for a particular body type. No one was snickering. It was more of a "you should re-think the idea of wearing that style."

Kerry
August 9th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by PeirsolFan
There was a woman this previous month during a lap swim who literally had everyone staring with mouths gaping. Her suit didn't fit properly.

A 180 pound woman in a Speedo racing suit walking clear across the pool deck with the suit forced almost into a thong in the back. No exaggeration. Those are cut high on the legs and narrow in back so if your rear is too big...

In my post, I said "as long as it's covering the 'private parts.'"

I consider the rear end a private part, so a thong, intentional or not, doesn't fit into my definition of comfortable or appropriate fitness swimwear. :)

gull
August 10th, 2005, 12:44 PM
I don't think it matters what size or shape you are--Speedos just plain look goofy at the beach. If that doesn't bother you, by all means wear them. Personally, I don't care if you do, but then I'm not the one looking goofy.

SwiminONandON
August 10th, 2005, 01:29 PM
To whomever said that there are women that wear bikinis that shouldn't, AMEN! I see it all the time ... it's not pretty ... you have to have a pretty good to look good in a bikini and while part of me admires those that wear them and shouldn't for their self-confidence the other part of me thinks, ya' know you should wear what looks good ... I see people struggle with that everday... just b/c short skirts and low rise jeans are in doesn't mean everyone should wear them AND buy the correct size jeans even if that means you have to wear a 12 or 14 or whatever ... that annoys me ...

Anyway ... back to the topic at hand ...

hmlee
August 10th, 2005, 01:55 PM
I don't know about guy's agonizing over speedo choices, but you can better bet that one of the reasons I'm joining my university's women's team is because the guy's team will be at the meets in speedos! Woohoo! Hahaha....

aquageek
August 10th, 2005, 02:51 PM
This is a very interesting comment. As we know Illinois small town baseball players admit in packs that swimmers are gay but now we understand that females enjoy fit men in speedos (or one female anyway). This makes me wonder if gay male baseball playing teenagers in Illinois would find college women in male speedos attractive?

Craig in Il - can you poll your pack of young men please on this?

Phil Arcuni
August 10th, 2005, 03:39 PM
I polled my 15 year old son and 18 year old daughter what the consensus high school opinion on men in speedos is, and the answer was "the only guys that wear speedos are either gay or middle-aged europeans."

For my own peace of mind, I assumed this meant casual beach and pool wear, not while training. I did not ask the natural follow up question to clarify, however. (I wonder why?)

More on my wide-ranging survey later, when I have more time.

clyde hedlund
August 10th, 2005, 05:01 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Phil Arcuni
[B]I polled my 15 year old son and 18 year old daughter what the consensus high school opinion on men in speedos is, and the answer was "the only guys that wear speedos are either gay or middle-aged europeans."

I wonder why? Gays should not be the only ones to enjoy a monopoly on wearing Speedo briefs. And what about us straight middle age American males, who after years of worrying about what others think are now enjoying wearing our Speedos outside the pool doing other sports with them on: like paddling my wax covered paddleboard, kayaking, and playing tennis. Unfortunately, like other shorts, the bloody Speedo's still trap sand when bodysurfing. clyde

hmlee
August 10th, 2005, 05:10 PM
If I saw someone lounging at a beach in a speedo I wouldn't think they were gay - I'd probably assume that they were either european, or really into themselves and wanting to attract attention to themselves.

I actually saw a guy during one of my workouts that just made me want to laugh. He was wearing a maroon rectangular speedo (not covering more area than a regular speedo, just a different shape), tons of aftershave, and had a playboy tattoo on his shoulder. It was kind of obvious that even though he had some basic stroke mechanics he was actually wearing the speedo because he was into himself - rather for training purposes.

Although, I have to say that all of my female friends are looking forward to comming to my meets to enjoy the fit guys in speedos haha.

mattson
August 10th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Phil Arcuni
I polled my 15 year old son and 18 year old daughter what the consensus high school opinion on men in speedos is, and the answer was "the only guys that wear speedos are either gay or middle-aged europeans."

Take them to one of those WWE professional wrestling shows, and have them voice their opinion loudly. :D

Takes me back to high school. One day, a bored wrestler decided to try to make fun of us wearing speedos. We reminded him that he was wearing essentially a women's swimsuit and groping other boys, so he should think twice about "casting stones".

dorothyrde
August 10th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by aquageek
This is a very interesting comment. As we know Illinois small town baseball players admit in packs that swimmers are gay but now we understand that females enjoy fit men in speedos (or one female anyway). This makes me wonder if gay male baseball playing teenagers in Illinois would find college women in male speedos attractive?

Craig in Il - can you poll your pack of young men please on this?

My son is not gay, nor plays baseball, but he is a teenager from Illinois and I am fairly certain he would be looking at a college woman wearing a male speedo......and so would his Dad.

PeirsolFan
August 10th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by hmlee
I actually saw a guy during one of my workouts that just made me want to laugh. He was wearing a maroon rectangular speedo (not covering more area than a regular speedo, just a different shape), tons of aftershave, and had a playboy tattoo on his shoulder. It was kind of obvious that even though he had some basic stroke mechanics he was actually wearing the speedo because he was into himself - rather for training purposes.

It wasn't me. I swear!

hooked-on-swimming
August 11th, 2005, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Phil Arcuni

Oh, come on!!!I am neither gay or middle-aged (I am 25) but I do wear speedos quite often for practice.Well, ok, I am europian...Actually, my girlfriend who is american LOVED it when I took her to a pool one time where I wore speedos...She thought it was sexy :)))Anyways, I am in a good shape(6-pack and all), so I am comfortable wearing them, but I if I was not I would NEVER put myself into that thing ...

dorothyrde
August 11th, 2005, 08:02 AM
So Dima, when you are 45 and middle age spread is catching you and you decide to get back in the pool to swim, you are going to where the baggy shorts?(not saying you will let that happen, but lots of men when they are 25 don't foresee it happening!)

SwiminONandON
August 11th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Total side note, So she's your girlfriend now? FANTASTIC! SO EXCITING! Congrats, good job! Aren't you glad you went shopping that day?!

Rob Copeland
August 11th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by mattson
Takes me back to high school. One day, a bored wrestler decided to try to make fun of us wearing speedos. We reminded him that he was wearing essentially a women's swimsuit and groping other boys, so he should think twice about "casting stones".

Great story...

Phil and our other pollsters,

Can you ask your kids the following:
“If males in form fitting swim suits are gay, are females in skimpy form fitting swim suits lesbians?”

This is almost as absurd as saying that assertive strong-willed men are leaders while assertive strong-willed women are … (Dear PC police, can I use the word bitch whilst not referring to a female dog?)

Guvnah
August 11th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Well, regarding this topic in general, people ought to look at page 12 of the August 2005 Readers Digest and check out the comic on that page. It is precisely about what is being discussed here.

That issue happens to be the 1000th issue of RD, and they have the whole issue on line at August 2005 RD (http://rd.com/1000)

To get to page 12, click on the picture of the magazine cover. You'll get a new window. At the top of that page is a strip bar with choices: CONTENTS ... PAGES .. SEARCH .. ... Select pages and click on page 12.

clyde hedlund
August 11th, 2005, 05:00 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Guvnah
[B]Well, regarding this topic in general, people ought to look at page 12 of the August 2005 Readers Digest and check out the comic on that page. It is precisely about what is being discussed here

Thank you very much for the cartoon. So appropriate for me. Why, with the "awning above the toyshop" expanding every day, I'm making a copy to remind myself to get back into bikini shape. clyde

hooked-on-swimming
August 12th, 2005, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by SwiminONandON
Total side note, So she's your girlfriend now? FANTASTIC! SO EXCITING! Congrats, good job! Aren't you glad you went shopping that day?!

ABSOLUTELY!!!:)))

Arbor Dude
September 13th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Well, I figured I'd have to throw my 2 cents in too. I'm in pretty decent shape--I run and bike a lot, and I'm pretty much at the weight I want to be. I started re-teaching myself to swim a few months ago (I haven't swam since red cross classes in elementary school), and I go to the local rec center--with 4 lanes: slow, medium, fast, and floater. Floater is typically senior citizens with inflatable devices doing aquajogging. I started in the slow lane, and can now do about 20 laps, and have worked myself up to being in the medium lane, unless the pool is full of pros. The slow lane guys usually wear shorts, and the fast lane is a mix of everything (about 1/3 speedo, 1/3 jammer, 1/3 shorts). The medium lane is pretty much in-between. Just for kicks, I tried the jammers. They're great for swimming--you glide better and it feels like you have more control in the water, but making it to and from the pool was kind of embarrassing--I felt pretty exposed, and on the way out of the pool everything got even more clingy. :eek: Generally I'm not exactly eager to let everybody see the exact size and shape of everything down there. And sure you can try to pull it away a bit, but not until after you've given a show. I'm tempted to try briefs under them for a little better coverage--does anybody else do that?

And about that whole "nobody notices or comments" thing. You would think that in a lefty place like Ann Arbor that would really be true, but really the girls are just a lot more free to "express themselves". There wasn't a problem with any guys, but the high school girl lifeguards were another story. Yes, the lifeguards--the ones who are paid employees and that I'd least expected it from. You have to walk by the lifeguards to get to the lanes--usually you say "hi" and maybe do a little small talk, regardless of whether its guys or girls--its just the culture there. This time they said "hi" and there was a pretty obvious glance down. And when I climbed out of the pool, guess who was watching. And after walking past them to the locker room, after they thought I was out of earshot, and when all the other swimmers were doing laps in the water, I heard: "Look at that...I'd like to see what's under those." and "Now there's a guy who really should be wearing those."

I liked swimming in the jammers, but I'm afraid to do it again...:o

clyde hedlund
September 13th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Just the duo standard thing again where it is ok for girls to flaunt it and keep plastic surgeons rich, but boys better should hide their appendage and put up a flat front - just crazy. Just be happy that it's only girls that are interested, I'd trade spots any day. clyde

Guvnah
September 13th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Admit it, Arbor Dude. You loved every minute of it! :) :)

Arbor Dude
September 13th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Well...I'd be lying if I said I hated it :cool: but I'm not exactly used to being looked at in *that* way, and the age difference didn't help (I'm 27, they were high school ish).

As for the guys, yeah there's definitely some people batting for the other team (Ann Arbor, the San Francisco of the midwest), but they're pretty respectful, and it only took me a few visits to figure out the protocol. If you wear jammers or longer swim shorts, shower with your suit on, and wear your shirt when you're changing into your suit, the guys don't stare and leave you alone. Violate those rules and it doesn't mean you're gay, but you don't mind the looks and they might try to chat you up and see if you're interested. So that's my advice to Clyde, if Hawaii's the same, to try the jammers instead.

scyfreestyler
September 13th, 2005, 05:40 PM
I'm a thin guy in good shape who wears Jammers to the pool and I do get some glances from guys in the locker room and occasionally from guys and girls in the lanes next to me. Not all the time, but occasionally. The glances from the males used to bother me until I realized that it's a compliment to be looked, ogled, stared at. Who cares if a gay guy wants to get in your shorts? Big deal. I am certainly not going to alter my routine in the slightest to prevent somebody, who may or may not be gay, from seeing me in my birthday suit.

knelson
September 13th, 2005, 06:05 PM
I agree with 330man. I always take off my suit and rinse it while I'm showering. I'm not going to change my routine regardless of who else is in the shower or locker areas. Since Arbor Dude is new to this I can understand his trepidation, but I'd say just keep wearing the jammers and pretty soon you won't be so paranoid others are looking at you.

Karen Duggan
September 13th, 2005, 06:44 PM
I'm so used to seeing guys in Speedos, it's no big deal, but I do see how the general public would be uncomfortable. I have to tell you that my 5 year old worked out all summer in "trunks". For his first meet I bought him the cutest little, royal blue Speedo, smallest size they make! He was absolutely adorable in it.

I wanted him to wear it to swim even faster, but it also occurred to me that I didn't want him to ever be uncomfortable in a Speedo. He's pretty easy-going and had no problem with it.

PS I did notice a lot of young boys wearing jammers, I wonder if they'll be uncomfortable in a regular Speedo?

aquageek
September 13th, 2005, 06:46 PM
That's K. Duggan of Swimmer Magazine fame?

FindingMyInnerFish
September 15th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Eight pages already...hot topic! My thought: if I see a guy w/ speedos or jammers getting into the pool in lanes near me, and they look reasonably fit, I'm relieved. This has less to do with what they're wearing than what their suit and appearance represent: someone who probably knows his pool etiquette. Of course, don't judge a book by its cover and all that, but generally speaking, if someone's approaching the pool with confidence, knows what he's doing, he's more likely to respect my workout space too.

Not that I will assume that guys in swim trunks DON'T know what they're doing--in fact, I've come to see the same faces, and know which fo the guys will be polite, but if a stranger comes in, I breathe easier if he's wearing something that looks as if he's planning a real workout.

With women, it's sometimes harder to tell b/c some the look of some workout suits is pretty close to something you might buy in a department store. With women, I then look for goggles too.

Don't even get me started on people who pop into my lane without looking where they're going, start across two abreast, then wade/swim back. (Today, yeah...grrrr! But that's a whole other thread...getting back on the subject, the two women who did this were wearing what appeared to be workout suits.)

johnyreb
September 19th, 2005, 05:34 PM
well when it comes to the choice between wearing speedos or jammers, i pick the speedos. i started swimming for fitness last year, and about 2 months after i started i decided to give the speedos a try. after i made the switch i never went back to the trunks, because when i swim in them i feel like i get a better workout with them. the other thing is is that i'm the only guy at my age who wears them at the pool i go to. i'm 20 yrs. and yes i get those wierd looks from everybody, but u know what i'm comfortable with it. but would i wear 'em at the beach or public pool, probably not.

Conniekat8
September 19th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Oh, look, a fasion police thread!

I never saw so many men in one place discussing fashion for so long.

Hmmmmm!
:p

jswimmer
September 19th, 2005, 10:46 PM
For me, I find wearing the clothing of the sport to help with the workout. It also helps with my confidence. For swimming i wear jammers or briefs.