PDA

View Full Version : 2010 colonies zone scm champs

Warren
July 7th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Does anyone know if the location has been decided on yet? I hope that this is not in the Northeast again. Hopefully it's in northern va or maryland.

swimshark
July 8th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Last I heard, no one had bid on it.

jroddin
July 8th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Does anyone know if the location has been decided on yet? I hope that this is not in the Northeast again. Hopefully it's in northern va or maryland.

This meet typically gets awarded at convention (late September). Bids are due to the Zone Chair prior to convention, but if there are multiple bids the meet is awarded during the Colonies Zone meeting at convention.

rodent
September 22nd, 2010, 06:37 PM
Since apparently no one bid on it, is it possible to reach out to Corona, NY or, TCNJ? They have both hosted the meet in the past. U Md. would also be a good location, if we could get it. We need a SCM Zone meet. :2cents:

jim clemmons
September 22nd, 2010, 06:45 PM
Since apparently no one bid on it, is it possible to reach out to Corona, NY or, TCNJ? They have both hosted the meet in the past. U Md. would also be a good location, if we could get it. We need a SCM Zone meet. :2cents:

Come on out west - we got a bunch of 'em.

:bliss:

rodent
September 22nd, 2010, 10:55 PM
I am thinking about it. Long Beach is a fast meet. Phoenix is good too. Chicago has a meet and so does Boston. I liked the Zone Meet we had last year in NYC. It wasn't too bad a drive and the pool was pretty nice.
They may hold a Zone meet yet here and if not, I have time to make plans.

Karl_S
September 23rd, 2010, 12:59 PM
I'd like to see the same location as last year.

rodent
September 23rd, 2010, 04:29 PM
I thought that it was a nice pool and the meet was pretty good. I wouldn't mind seeing it there again either. I think the Metropolitan LMSC sponsored it last year. I thought the turnout wasn't bad either.

Speedo
September 23rd, 2010, 04:39 PM
I also enjoyed the meet in Flushing. I was hoping for either that venue or Rutgers.

bzaks1424
September 24th, 2010, 08:48 AM
This is Shark's way of avoiding a swim off of me vs. her. She's scared and blaming her ankle injury! ;)

rodent
September 25th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I just got back from the September Splash. My feeling is that the local Masters swimmers would support a SCM Zone Meet.:agree:

swimshark
September 26th, 2010, 03:21 PM
This is Shark's way of avoiding a swim off of me vs. her. She's scared and blaming her ankle injury! ;)

Ahem... wimpy, I'll be swimming at the Nov 6th SCM meet in VA Beach. Come on out then. Game on!

bzaks1424
September 26th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Ahem... wimpy, I'll be swimming at the Nov 6th SCM meet in VA Beach. Come on out then. Game on!

If I could find travel there for ~$150, I'd already have a ticket. Unfortunately everything is pretty pricey in those terms. I think you should just meet me halfway in Indianapolis, you can catch a ride with Jimslie

rodent
September 27th, 2010, 07:12 PM
It looks like the New England Masters Zone Meet will be at Boston U. 12/10/10 to 12/12/10. That may be another option. :)

KEWebb18
September 27th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Thanks for posting the dates. Do you have any information on signing up for the meet?

swimshark
September 28th, 2010, 09:08 PM
If I could find travel there for ~$150, I'd already have a ticket. Unfortunately everything is pretty pricey in those terms. I think you should just meet me halfway in Indianapolis, you can catch a ride with Jimslie

Jim is 4 hours northwest of me. West.. as in closer to Indy. hee-hee

rodent
September 29th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks for posting the dates. Do you have any information on signing up for the meet?
It's listed on Facebook as SCM Champs @ BU. Great Bay Masters will be running it.

gdanner
September 30th, 2010, 06:45 PM
It's listed on Facebook as SCM Champs @ BU. Great Bay Masters will be running it.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=31774839843#!/event.php?eid=111528038906490&ref=mf (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=31774839843#%21/event.php?eid=111528038906490&ref=mf)

Karl_S
October 14th, 2010, 05:10 PM
I just got back from the September Splash. My feeling is that the local Masters swimmers would support a SCM Zone Meet.:agree:
I guess there will be no such meet. Bummer.

swimshark
October 17th, 2010, 06:19 AM
I guess there will be no such meet. Bummer.

It's being worked on now.

rodent
October 19th, 2010, 11:27 AM
It's being worked on now.

Details!:applaud:

200free
October 22nd, 2010, 05:12 PM
It's definately not lack of swimmer interest. It's the lack of available pools/people willing & able to host a big event like a zone meet.

First of all good pools are expensive to rent and if they're good pools then there's probably lots of competition for the available dates.

Second of all it's a LOT of work to put on a meet of this size. It takes a lot of planning, a big time commitment from everyone on the meet committee and you have to be able to find a lot of volunteers 'cause a meet this size takes lots of timers. Then you get to the good part, get to see some great swimming, meet some wonderful people and everyone thanks you for putting on a great meet so all the hard work is worthwhile. But what is not fun is listening to all the complainers. Please don't start complaining about not liking the walls, the outside lane you're stuck in, the timeline is too fast, the timeline is too slow, you don't like the order of events, etc, don't say it or it'll scare one more person off from wanting to jump on the bandwagon and host a meet.

Third of all anyone can host a meet. There's not some big list of meet directors in the sky just waiting around to host meets. If you want a meet, find a pool, design some awards/t-shirts, request a sanction, advertise your meet, hire your officials, type your entries (or use online entries.....much much easier), seed your meet, copy your heat sheets and show up at the pool for a great time!

swimshark
October 23rd, 2010, 07:19 AM
Details!:applaud:

It didn't work out. Sorry.

rodent
October 24th, 2010, 10:46 PM
It didn't work out. Sorry.
Thank you for trying.

Rnovitske
November 5th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Yes, learned that the New England Championship meet is designated as the 2010 Colonies Zone SCM Championship. Look for official designation on the NE and zone web sites shortly.

hawk43
November 8th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Ray -- do you have an estimated turnout for the meet? I know it is early but thought you might have a sense based on past meets. I was thinking about traveling in from Ohio. Thanks.

Rnovitske
November 8th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Ray -- do you have an estimated turnout for the meet? I know it is early but thought you might have a sense based on past meets.
Not sure, but I do know it's big. Other readers may have an idea.
Here is a psych sheet (http://www.greatbaymasters.org/09Psych.htm) from last year's meet, to give you a sense.

Undeniable
May 22nd, 2011, 01:08 PM
Thank you for trying.

Yes, thank you very much! It's appreciated, even if the meet doesn't come together.