PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Summer Nationals Psych Sheets

matysekj
July 19th, 2010, 10:57 PM
The meet roster (http://www.usms.org/comp/lcnats10/heats/roster.php), team rosters (http://www.usms.org/comp/lcnats10/heats/teamroster.php) and psych sheets (http://www.usms.org/comp/lcnats10/heats/) are available for the summer nationals meet in Puerto Rico. There are 632 swimmers entered in the meet, and the decision has been made not to drop the sixth event.

jroddin
July 23rd, 2010, 09:52 AM
Empty lanes in a ten lane pool can dampen competitive conditions and we would like to avoid that when possible at the upcoming Summer Nationals in Puerto Rico. While we cannot offer any refunds, if you are absolutely certain you will not be swimming in the meet (or even certain events), please let us know and you will be removed from those event(s) to cut down on empty lanes and provide for more competitive heats. Some of you probably already know whether you will be traveling or not, so if it is the latter please be considerate and let us know before we seed the meet. Lastly, please note once we take you out of an event, we cannot put you back into the event.

Email any scratches or entry errors to championship@usms.org . Edits will be accepted until the meet is seeded. Thank you for your support of our USMS National Championship meets. Hope to see you in Puerto Rico!

Jeff Roddin
USMS Championship Committee Chair

Rich Abrahams
July 23rd, 2010, 10:52 AM
Jeff,
With the meet this small is there any chance of small breaks between some events? Some events like the 200 fly will have approx 9 heats for both men and women combined. If someone was swimming the 50 breast and 50 back on either side of this event, that isn't much rest. I know I'm just being a wimpy sprinter, but if you consolidate heats to improve competiveness, maybe a bit more rest will also help competitveness.
Rich

jim clemmons
July 23rd, 2010, 11:54 AM
Jeff,
With the meet this small is there any chance of small breaks between some events? Some events like the 200 fly will have approx 9 heats for both men and women combined. If someone was swimming the 50 breast and 50 back on either side of this event, that isn't much rest. I know I'm just being a wimpy sprinter, but if you consolidate heats to improve competiveness, maybe a bit more rest will also help competitveness.
Rich

I think we should consolidate as much as possible so we can get finished early and get to the beach. Sorry, Rich.

Just kidding - you been watching the weather reports by any chance? :badday: Looks like spare time may be spent :chug: 'course not between the 50 breast and 50 back.

Remember, there's no sniveling in swimming.

Rich Abrahams
July 23rd, 2010, 12:47 PM
I think we should consolidate as much as possible so we can get finished early and get to the beach. Sorry, Rich.

Just kidding - you been watching the weather reports by any chance? :badday: Looks like spare time may be spent :chug: 'course not between the 50 breast and 50 back.

Remember, there's no sniveling in swimming.

Definitely taking a rain coat and maybe an umbrella.
You endurance guys need to take pity on your sniveling brethren. We're not like this by choice.

jroddin
July 23rd, 2010, 01:46 PM
Jeff,
Rich

I have the perfect solution to this problem of not getting enough of a break during the 200 fly. All we have to do is bring back the old tradition 10+ years ago where the Nationals Meet Director had to enter and swim the 200 fly...:bolt:

In all seriousness, you raise a good point and you are right that many events are sparse. Look slike there will be several times where the fast heat of multiple age groups will be seeded together. It begs the question to seed those events strictly by time to create a more competitive environment instead of by age. Normally seeding strictly by time is reserved for large meets to trim the timeline but I can see a desire to seed some events at a very small meet by time to help with "racing." But just as many people who will want to do that would prefer to only swim against people in their age group.

But back to your original question - the flow of the meet will be controlled by the officials but the Meet Director and the Championship Committee can give them some guidance if they need to slow things down or speed them up.

Jeff

thewookiee
July 23rd, 2010, 01:51 PM
Jeff,

I thought nationals were seeded by age group first and then by time, so people in the same age groups would have a better idea of where they placed in an event.

John

jroddin
July 23rd, 2010, 02:47 PM
Jeff,

I thought nationals were seeded by age group first and then by time, so people in the same age groups would have a better idea of where they placed in an event.

John

Section 104.5.5 of the rulebook (page 33) outlines all of the seeding rules for Nationals. Paragraph (4) addresses seeding by time vs age group. Typically we only seed distance events by time, but the rulebook permits any event 200 or longer to be seeded by time. Here is the link:
http://www.usms.org/rules/part1.pdf

thewookiee
July 23rd, 2010, 02:56 PM
Section 104.5.5 of the rulebook (page 33) outlines all of the seeding rules for Nationals. Paragraph (4) addresses seeding by time vs age group. Typically we only seed distance events by time, but the rulebook permits any event 200 or longer to be seeded by time. Here is the link:
http://www.usms.org/rules/part1.pdf

Jeff, thanks. I wasn't arguing, I was just confused by what I have heard people tell me about how nationals were seeded

Kurt Dickson
July 24th, 2010, 01:06 AM
? a break between 50s?...you are killing me....please don't do that. Let's shoot for being done before noon each day, giving me more time to get mugged or dengue fever (heard there was an outbreak recently):)

Allen Stark
July 24th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Jeff,
Rich
I think we should have a break between the 1st and 2nd 100s of the 200 BR and 200 Fly.

jim clemmons
July 24th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I think we should have a break between the 1st and 2nd 100s of the 200 BR and 200 Fly.

We do Allen, it's called a "turn".:bump:

thewookiee
July 25th, 2010, 06:21 AM
We do Allen, it's called a "turn".:bump:

OUCH.

mwest42
July 31st, 2010, 10:01 PM
As long as we're making requests, can the 100 Free be delayed until I regain consciousness from swimming the 200 Fly?

Also, is it legal for me to get a push into the pool so I don't chicken out before the Fly?

thewookiee
August 1st, 2010, 11:03 AM
As long as we're making requests, can the 100 Free be delayed until I regain consciousness from swimming the 200 Fly?

Also, is it legal for me to get a push into the pool so I don't chicken out before the Fly?

No. But we can set prizes for you at each wall. Complete a 50, you get that prize. Fist 50, a flask of baracdi(that will take the pain away). Second 50, a oxygen tank. Third 50, A.E.D machine. Fourth 50, a personalized tombstone.