PDA

View Full Version : Stability Ball Exercises

Grif
August 12th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I just wanted to share some of the stability ball exercises that we use with our swimmers. These exercises are no different than any other in that they must follow proper progression and technique.

I have attached pictures and descriptions of a 5 exercise protocol that we use for a great core workout.

Please feel free to share what other exercises you guys are using out there on the stability ball.

bzaks1424
August 12th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Hey Grif - can you do a "Swimming Anatomy" -esque breakdown of these exercises and tell us what muscles (aside the core) we should be focusing on and how it should help with swimming?

Grif
August 12th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Yeah - no problem.

The first execise is hands on stability ball push - up. This is great for developing strength in the upper body (pecs, etc.) but more importantly it increases shoulder stability due to the unstable nature of the ball. This helps prevent shoulder injury whcih we all know is common in the sport. In addition it also teaches you core (rectus abdominus, etc.) to stabilize just as we see in a plank.

The next one is a hyperextension. Here the paraspinal muscles and low back are being worked. This is great for your short axis stroke such as butterfly and breasstroke which require some hyperextension of the spine.

The third exercise is a reverse hyper. This is great for the hamstrings, glutes and low bacl. The key here is whe raising the legs to think of contracting the hamstrings and the glutes, pause at the top, and lower the legs slowly. Many people do this incorrectly by letting the legs drop down to fast and the legs the bounce back up which is essentially cheating the exercise. Developing good hamstring and glutes are great for the start, turn and even the kick.

The fourth exercise is the knee tuck. The main benefit of this exercise is increasing strength and stability in the front of the core (rectus abdominus, spinal stabilizers) very similiar to a knee up followed by a plank.

The last exercise is a skier which works on all the rotational muscles (internal/external obliques). We see plenty of rotation in swimming so it is important to strengthen the muscles that assist with this in the pool. I prefer the log roll for swimmers more than the skiers. It is almost the same exercise except the log roll you keep your legs straight.

Hope this helps.

iheartfreestyle
August 12th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the exercises. I will definitely try them out!

Grif
August 17th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Here is video of another advanced exercise that we do. First you must mastere the log rol and the stability ball push - up before attempting this.

The is great for developing rotational and upper body strength at the same time.

YouTube- Dryland Swim Exercises - Swimmer push - up

Lump
August 17th, 2010, 10:39 PM
These are perfect! I've been wanting to find more stuff like this and more abs while reducing the amount of traditional weights. I'm printing this out to take to the gym tomorrow. Thanks!:applaud:

Grif
August 18th, 2010, 12:36 PM
I am glad you are enjoying the exercises. I promise to keep them coming.

Here is one that is advanced but if you have a healthy back and swim fly and breast check this out.

YouTube- Explosive Hypers

drumtolive
November 12th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Stability Ball Exercises really took my training to the next level. I always had trouble with flip turns late in my swim routine until i really started working on my core. Check out this huge encyclopedia of stability ball moves: Stability Ball Exercises (http://www.everydaybetter.com/stability-ball-exercises/)