PDA

View Full Version : What is the USMS Official rule for breastroke pullout?

Beards247
August 26th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Found this video on youtube while researching breaststroke drills:

YouTube- Swimming - Breaststroke - Underwater Pull, Power Phase

For those not able to see the video, the gist is: The dolphin kick can start with any parallel or downward motion of the hands (per the video).

Does this rule interpretation apply to USMS? Hopefully someone with authoritative knowledge can give their .02... As I am setting up my drill/practice routines I'd like to do it the right way : ).

Thanks,

Chris

jonblank
August 26th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Found this video on youtube while researching breaststroke drills:

YouTube- Swimming - Breaststroke - Underwater Pull, Power Phase (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYbETDyei3Q)

For those not able to see the video, the gist is: The dolphin kick can start with any parallel or downward motion of the hands (per the video).

Does this rule interpretation apply to USMS? Hopefully someone with authoritative knowledge can give their .02... As I am setting up my drill/practice routines I'd like to do it the right way : ).

Thanks,

Chris

That's correct. I'm pretty sure that's Glenn Mills demonstrating the GoSwim video breaststroke pullout dolphin kick. Glenn's approach is the way most breaststrokers do it.

Ageless wonder David Guthrie, however, starts his dolphin kick very early in the pullout, just after his hands separate. The only downside of his technique is that I've seen him having to "discuss" this timing sequence with officials to ensure he doesn't inadvertently get DQed.

Timing of the dolphin kick seems to be a matter of personal preference. I honestly haven't tried the early kick to see if it'd be of benefit; I do it the way Glenn's video shows the timing.

SwimStud
August 26th, 2010, 10:58 AM
That's correct. David Guthrie starts his dolphin kick very early in the pullout, just after his hands separate. He has "discussed" this with officials to ensure he doesn't inadvertently get DQed. Many other breaststrokers start the kick later in the armstroke - it seems to be a matter of personal preference. I honestly haven't tried the early kick to see if it'd be of benefit.

I had significant drops over the last season or so. I switched to the kick at hand separation and think it has a part in this. No tech suits but I did lift and increase my cardio work.

jonblank
August 26th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I had significant drops over the last season or so. I switched to the kick at hand separation and think it has a part in this. No tech suits but I did lift and increase my cardio work.

hmmm...maybe I'd better try the "early" dolphin kick, then.