PDA

View Full Version : Diamond lake open water challenge

aurora
August 31st, 2010, 12:13 PM
Hey everyone just wanted to let you know of a up coming race. Sep 18th 2010. It is taking places at Diamond lake, Cassopolis, Michigan. There will be a 2.5k,5k and 10k race. There is a wet suite and non wet suite division. If you want more in for go to Precision Multisports.com. This is a race my coach Craig strong put on every year. Hey has trained other English channels swimmers and knows how to put on a fantasice rase. I have swam this lake for many hours as he is training me for the English Channel in the fall of 2011. It is spring feed lake with an Island in the center. Its my favorite palce to swim and I have swam alot of lakes. There will be a BQ fallowing very family type astmospire. Hope to see you all there!!!!:)

lynnwa
August 31st, 2010, 09:46 PM
How's the water temp there?
Is it about 2.5 hours from Chicago? I am trying to gauge distance driving up the morning of...Looks like a great lake on the web site!

ViveBene
September 1st, 2010, 08:13 AM
Here's the Web site. Saturday, September 18:

http://site.diamondlakeopenwaterchallenge.com/

If the long-distance swimmers simply do the course multiple times over, well, I'm tired of being run over.
:)
The site says 2 hours from Chicago, but that would depend on where you live.

Chicken of the Sea
September 1st, 2010, 08:57 AM
I'm going, but just found out they've replaced the round-island course with a 4 loop racetrack. YUK. boring

aurora
September 1st, 2010, 09:56 AM
the water temp is great in the mid 80's, I know it sad that there not doing around the island this year. Thats what I do when I do my long swims for Channel training and it is far better. But the wanted to do a reclangle corse for safty it was to hard to make it safe. There is a fairy that goes back and forth ever 15 or so min or so the had problems with swimmer not seeing the fairy coming. I recentlly had a close call getting run down by it and I have swam it alot . but there will be a Island start witch is really cool.I live up far north of Chicago almost in WI and it was a good 3 hour drive. Its a clean lake. The BQ will be held on the island after the race. Hope to see your guys there its a really great race and place.

ViveBene
September 1st, 2010, 10:56 AM
I'm going, but just found out they've replaced the round-island course with a 4 loop racetrack. YUK. boring
I get to wave to you from the waterline three times!

the water temp is great in the mid 80's, I know it sad that there not doing around the island this year. Thats what I do when I do my long swims for Channel training and it is far better. But the wanted to do a reclangle corse for safty it was to hard to make it safe. There is a fairy that goes back and forth ever 15 or so min or so the had problems with swimmer not seeing the fairy coming. I recentlly had a close call getting run down by it and I have swam it alot . but there will be a Island start witch is really cool.I live up far north of Chicago almost in WI and it was a good 3 hour drive. Its a clean lake. The BQ will be held on the island after the race. Hope to see your guys there its a really great race and place.

Aurora, it would REALLY HELP to get some REAL information posted on the Web site. Maybe you could talk your coach into it.
a. The water temp may be in the mid-80s now (that is the opposite of cold-water acclimation, BTW) but it will most likely be considerably cooler on September 18. Expected water temp, please.
b. Course.
c. Water stations: where on course and how many.
d. No. of swimmers expected, or past year's number.
e. Kayakers or no?
f. T-shirts or other swag?
g. Map of place?
h. Most people don't see fairies coming.
i. Safety: Are boats allowed on the race course DURING THE RACE? Any other surprise non-safe measures swimmers should expect?

Thanks.

evmo
September 1st, 2010, 11:07 AM
There is a fairy that goes back and forth ever 15 or so min or so the had problems with swimmer not seeing the fairy coming.

h. Most people don't see fairies coming.

Sounds like quite the enchanted lake! If one did happen to see a fairy coming, what's the proper course of action? Would a shark shield work?

aurora
September 1st, 2010, 09:31 PM
Oh yes the water tempture is holding around 80 and dose not drop below 75 at that time of the year. The lake is closed to all boats that day. There is a water and feeding set up at the start of the loop.So that is were you can get water if your doing the 10k. Sorry about the spelling thanks Evan I thought you were suppose to be on my side hear. It is quite the lake. Evan you could some see it if you wanted.

aurora
September 1st, 2010, 09:37 PM
Yes there will be kayas for safty and boats and people on jet skis to make it safe, theres around 60 people that show up.Tshirst and all that fun stuff will be there. There will be food and water. Its a very well put on race. On of the things my coach does for a living is he is also a race directior so yes all safty will be take.:) you can go to the web sight also that I gave earlyer and that will have many of those questions on there. More info will be added each week. hope to see you all there!!

evmo
September 1st, 2010, 09:42 PM
thanks Evan I thought you were suppose to be on my side hear. It is quite the lake. Evan you could some see it if you wanted.

Aw, I'm just funnin'. Aurora, I will be there! I don't even mind the race track course. Looking forward to a beautiful day in Michigan.

aurora
September 1st, 2010, 11:53 PM
:)I know your are it is so funny! I told my husband what you wrote and cant stop laughing. So I will see you soon at ohio! you are just not looking hard enough for those fariys lol, the love water.

aurora
September 1st, 2010, 11:55 PM
the loop is a 2.5k any one that may want to know

ViveBene
September 2nd, 2010, 09:02 AM
Nobody is taking sides here. Aurora, thank you for the information. Unfortunately, some of it is discrepant with info I gained only by EMing the meet director.
I am asking that the meet director put on the meet's Web site basic information that anyone interested in the swim would want to know.

Chicken of the Sea
September 2nd, 2010, 09:26 AM
I emailed the race director, too, as there was no information on the website. He said the water was low 70's at that time of year (Good! I wouldn't do the swim if it was 80).

Chicken of the Sea
September 2nd, 2010, 12:45 PM
How's the water temp there?
Is it about 2.5 hours from Chicago? I am trying to gauge distance driving up the morning of...Looks like a great lake on the web site!

I've decided to drive up the night before. Anyone that's seen me before 9am will know why. You are going out that night?
In any case, I'll get a 2 bedder so if anyone wants to crash I'll have a spare available.

aurora
September 2nd, 2010, 01:07 PM
:)yeah Amanda! thanks for comming will be nice to meet I know we talked about swimming togther now we can. just in a diffrent state lol.

ViveBene
September 2nd, 2010, 03:29 PM
Have fun, everyone! :)
I am doing my duty by swimming in glacial lakes in Glacier National Park. Me and the grizz, LOL!
Kick it up some, evmo! You can do it!
A little pixie dust will make you fleet...

ViveBene
September 19th, 2010, 03:24 PM
How was it?

E=H2O
September 19th, 2010, 03:42 PM
:woot:
I am doing my duty by swimming in glacial lakes in Glacier National Park. Me and the grizz, LOL!
A little pixie dust will make you fleet...

:woot::woot:

Chicken of the Sea
September 19th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Evmo managed to say hi when he cruised past me to win while I was still on lap 3 of the 4 lap, variable distance (buoys blown by the wind) course! :applaud:
An all-time slowest 10k for me, but I've got no idea how far I really swam so it was a good workout!!

evmo
September 19th, 2010, 08:24 PM
My money is on 11K. Perhaps we need to rechristen it the Nigel Tufnel Memorial 11K?

YouTube - Spinal Tap - 11

Evmo managed to say hi when he cruised past me to win while I was still on lap 3 of the 4 lap, variable distance (buoys blown by the wind) course! :applaud:
An all-time slowest 10k for me, but I've got no idea how far I really swam so it was a good workout!!

pwb
September 19th, 2010, 08:39 PM
A little pixie dust will make you fleet...Which lakes? You're not in Waterton are you? That'd be a cool lake to swim in (assuming one could handle the temperature) to see if you'd get stopped swimming across the border!

Chicken of the Sea
September 19th, 2010, 09:00 PM
My money is on 11K. Perhaps we need to rechristen it the Nigel Tufnel Memorial 11K?

YouTube - Spinal Tap - 11 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbVKWCpNFhY)

bahahahahaha well, where can you go after you get to 10?? 11!!!!

ViveBene
September 19th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Which lakes? You're not in Waterton are you? That'd be a cool lake to swim in (assuming one could handle the temperature) to see if you'd get stopped swimming across the border!
I didn't get to Waterton this trip. I assume I'd be stopped if I tried any border crossing by that means, as the Kingdom Swim in Lake Memphremagog, VT, ppl tell us that border guards stop ppl swimming that lake, which lies in two countries. The Glacier webcam at Goat Haunt does show ppl frolicking in the lake. I am trying to get on all the webcams (except the ospreys' nest).

Lake McDonald was adequately warm for swimming, even by other people's standards! :D

I did a bit of swimming in Flathead Lake, at West Shore State Park (also lost my favorite pocketknife there, morose visage!). Finally, a sunny day after a week of rain, and I had to start home from Glacier. And stopped at a farm stand for sweet cherries, picked from orchards on the hillsides around the lake. Failed to make a correct turn and ended up in Sandpoint, Idaho, Lake Pend Oreille, a beautiful place and destination for bird watchers.

Glad to hear the Diamond Lake swim 11k went off well. See any of the fabled pixies? That could explain the mysteries of the course...

Hoosier
September 20th, 2010, 12:33 PM
I was the first place finisher in the 2.7 k non wet suit division...but it had nothing to do with the wind blowing anything...I guess I just decided to do a WIDE turn...69 degree water, worried about that but was a hugh non issue. I have been to races that are bigger, have better ribbons, but never one with a better layed back, here to have fun, welcome to my home attitude... Great Fun! if you missed it put it on your schedule for next year.

Hoosier
September 20th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Disappointed to learn Chicken was there...If I had known would have said hello.....Chicken< are you the lady that said "wetsuit never!"?

Chicken of the Sea
September 20th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Disappointed to learn Chicken was there...If I had known would have said hello.....Chicken< are you the lady that said "wetsuit never!"?

not me! All I said was "Where's the toilet". Those who know me will not be surprised :)
Where were you? probably packed up and home by the time I finished!

Hoosier
September 20th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I said that I would not be invited for Christmas dinner if I wore a wetsuit...and that be the truth of it.... My first sub 74 degree water swim was apprehensive but really felt great at 69 degrees....I swam way wide at the turn, found out what happens if you over hydrate and dont put any electrolts back in, but found it very enjoyable...you'll have to do Swim for Kids Sake next year (shamless plug):blush: so we can say hello.

smeltgirl
September 22nd, 2010, 10:37 PM
I was the one who said, "Never a wetsuit under any circumstances," when Craig asked about wetsuit or non-wetsuit category.

This was a very slow race for me, too, but what a nice race! It was such a neat experience to check in for the race in someone's kitchen, and then to hang out on their back porch, then jump off their pier to get to the water start!

It was a small race, but so friendly. I was sad to be without my Chicago Smelt teammates, and said so, and Michelle said, "We'll be your team!" and there was friendly agreement among those on the deck. I met lots of nice people and had a lovely time.

The water was 68, I think? 66? Far warmer than the frigid Big Shoulders 5k of the week before (perhaps that's why we were slow, Amanda?). The lake is lovely, the ferry ride is quaint, and the bbq provided by a local restaurant gave things a very home-y feel. I'll definitely do it again next year. I hope some of my teammates come with me, because I did miss them, but I look forward to seeing my Diamond Lake teammates next year!

Chicken of the Sea
September 23rd, 2010, 01:20 AM
I was the one who said, "Never a wetsuit under any circumstances," when Craig asked about wetsuit or non-wetsuit category.

This was a very slow race for me, too, but what a nice race! It was such a neat experience to check in for the race in someone's kitchen, and then to hang out on their back porch, then jump off their pier to get to the water start!

It was a small race, but so friendly. I was sad to be without my Chicago Smelt teammates, and said so, and Michelle said, "We'll be your team!" and there was friendly agreement among those on the deck. I met lots of nice people and had a lovely time.

The water was 68, I think? 66? Far warmer than the frigid Big Shoulders 5k of the week before (perhaps that's why we were slow, Amanda?). The lake is lovely, the ferry ride is quaint, and the bbq provided by a local restaurant gave things a very home-y feel. I'll definitely do it again next year. I hope some of my teammates come with me, because I did miss them, but I look forward to seeing my Diamond Lake teammates next year!

Hi Ruth!

I'm very happy to have met you at Diamond Lake. I was late for the race or I would have said the same thing regarding the wetsuit :) I think the distance was longer than 10k, due to the markers blowing around. The water temperature was nice. Very comfortable. Sunshine is always preferred, but I think my skin has had enough!

Yes, I will do this race again.

Amanda Chicken