PDA

View Full Version : Help me with this weeks taper for Big Shoulders!!

Bobinator
September 3rd, 2010, 08:33 AM
I always struggle with the concept of how much I should rest before an ow race. I've been averaging 20,000 meters per week since June 1. I am feeling beat up and burnt out. I am a 55 year old female doing a 5K next saturday (1 week away) I did 4,000 today but I'm taking tomorrow off.
Would someone give me a specific rest/taper for this week PLEASE. I always himmm and haww around and get antsy and unsure about my rest or lack of. Some people have told me I don't swim enough to taper but why am I so tired. Any help on this will be appreciated!! :bow:

Thanks,

Bob

bzaks1424
September 3rd, 2010, 10:09 AM
Holy cow! Yes! Slow down!

I would suggest decreasing by about 500-750 a day with a complete day off the day before.
Stop taking stairs, start taking baths with scented candles.
Take this week to really treat yourself nice. Assuming this is the race you want to be the fastest race of the year.

ViveBene
September 3rd, 2010, 10:11 AM
Hi Bobinator!
I can't help much with your search for a specific taper, which may be individualized, but the underlying concept is not to feel too tired. (Restating the obvious... :) ).
I was in the lake for a mile go-round at 60 degrees this morning. Stroked hard to keep from feeling cold. Little wavelets hitting and going down if I didn't breathe right, floating pondweed, cormorants staring in disbelief, and the other fun stuff one faces in open water swimming. So much happens environmentally that one wants to feel bounding with energy and ready to deal with it.
Perhaps go with the "hay is in the barn" idea and do short intervals on long rest, with some longer relaxed continuous swims in there?
I personally would do a very long continuous swim this weekend to keep up overall conditioning and mental preparedness, then back off a lot if satisfied.
Have fun next weekend!
:)

MickYoung
September 3rd, 2010, 11:55 AM
I always struggle with the concept of how much I should rest before an ow race. I've been averaging 20,000 meters per week since June 1.

[snip]

Some people have told me I don't swim enough to taper

Some people are wrong.

If it were me?

Monday 2000 M easy, Wednesday 1500 M easy, Friday 500 M easy

Stretch every day. Avoid some normal "Friday night! Get drunk! Sing songs!" activity.

I'm no expert but I'm guessing your build-up would have been better with a recovery week in the middle of July.

Good luck and have fun in Chicago!

bzaks1424
September 3rd, 2010, 12:00 PM
Avoid some normal "Friday night! Get drunk! Sing songs!" activity

However the night AFTER the race- party like its 1999!
gSqYAbBFhzc

E=H2O
September 3rd, 2010, 01:28 PM
Over 25 years ago a top AG distance freestyler in her 50's taught me something. I trained in the pool with her and I was always amazed how fast she could swim the distance events even though she did fewer workouts each week than I, and her workouts were shorter as well. It was all about getting enough rest she explained. And as she got older she said it took more and more rest to get the most out of her training. I'm 57 now and I have found she is absolutely correct. To get the most out of your workouts - you must leave your body enough time to recover. When it comes to an actual taper, I suspect mentally you won't feel comfortable dropping down on your workouts, but that's a mental thing. Your body will love it, you just have to reject the mental narrative you've been playing in your head with positive self talk about feeling rested.

knelson
September 3rd, 2010, 06:18 PM
Mick is right. It's time to rest. I personally wouldn't do a workout of more than 2K from now until the race. You've put in the work. That base you've established isn't going to disappear in the next week. You'll do great!

pwb
September 3rd, 2010, 08:35 PM
I always struggle with the concept of how much I should rest before an ow race. I've been averaging 20,000 meters per week since June 1. I am feeling beat up and burnt out. I am a 55 year old female doing a 5K next saturday (1 week away) I did 4,000 today but I'm taking tomorrow off.Bobinator:
We're on about the same path as I'm tapering for the LaJolla Rough Water swim next Sunday. I've not been going as long as you for as long as you have, but have been ~20K per week for the last 3 weeks. I'm not doing a serious taper for this, but will do the following next week:

Monday: probably swim about 6K yards or so ... last hard day
Tuesday: drylands only, not intense
Wednesday: probably swim about 3K yards, not too hard, but not completely easy
Thursday: nothing but a massage
Friday: probably swim about 3K yards, more easy than hard
Saturday: splash around in the ocean and maybe swim 2K
Sunday: race day

So, my volume for the 6 days leading up to the race will probably be around 12K to 15K, but my intensity will drop notably from where I've been the last 3 weeks.

waves101
September 4th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Do whatever has worked for you in the past. 20k/week avg. is certainly plenty to taper from. Rest is the key. Sleep in a little more, swim less and enjoy the recovery time. You've earned it.

orca1946
September 5th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Slow down, but don't stop till 2 days before the race. Taper may be better for many events such as in a large meet format. Good luck, let us know how you do.

Chicken of the Sea
September 5th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Bob that's just about as much yardage as my big swim weeks before MIMS :))
I'm pretty much going to vegetate for the rest of this week and work on my insulation.

Bobinator
September 6th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Thanks for all the good advice; I've been swimming easy. I took Saturday completely off for a shopping road-trip to Lulumon, Sunday was an easy straight 2,000 lcm swim (water was 71 and air was 48), Monday another 2,000 done 500 swim/2 X 250 on4:30 int/4 X 150 on 2:45 int/8 X 50 on 1:00. Water was still cold but that's a good thing since the lake is likely to be cold too. When I finished I stood around in the cold pool and talked to people on the deck awhile. I was attempting to simulate Amanda in her kiddee pool last winter but my pool wasn't as cold. :agree:
I'm going 1500 tomorrow and 1,000 on Thurs. Friday I won''t swim at all. We can't leave for Chi town till 5 p.m. and I'll have 2 drunken triathletes in my car. It may be an interesting drive. :cake: Oh it's my birthday too! Double Nickels!! :chug:

bzaks1424
September 7th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Oh it's my birthday too! Double Nickels!! :chug:

Its your birthday now? Or on Friday when you're driving?

Either way - please have a drink or 6 on me!

djacks
September 7th, 2010, 10:52 AM
...We're on about the same path as I'm tapering for the LaJolla Rough Water swim next Sunday.

Saturday: splash around in the ocean and maybe swim 2K

I'm doing the Gatorman on Sunday and plan on swimming at the Cove on Saturday as well. Let me know if you'd like to join in.

MickYoung
September 7th, 2010, 02:47 PM
PS read the whole "The Taper Lane" thread in general swimming.

pwb
September 7th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I'm doing the Gatorman on Sunday and plan on swimming at the Cove on Saturday as well. Let me know if you'd like to join in.I'll be there, but not sure what time exactly. I'm ferrying along some kids, so will probably be splashing around with them for a bit. Mostly, I'm just going to try to see if I can acclimate to the cold water -- reading is 66 degrees today.

srcoyote
September 7th, 2010, 08:18 PM
This week is full of the unintended taper for me. I'm not sure why I thought I could work in moving into a new home, work, and my childrens' big schedule into the week before Big Shoulders, but here it is Tuesday evening, and I ain't been in the water since Saturday morning.

Oh well. Here's to looking at the seaweed on the bottom and the Hancock Tower and not worrying about my time. Does carrying boxes of books count as training?

Bobinator
September 7th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Did you get the e-mail about the cold water srcoyote? It is currently 63 and the weather this week isn't looking good. I'm not sure I can do a 5K in that temp. Our water has been 85-88 degrees most of the summer till this week-end. I may wear a wetsuit.

MickYoung
September 13th, 2010, 10:57 PM
So.

Bobinator.

Tell us about your taper.