PDA

View Full Version : 10K

Lump
September 13th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Lets just say I don't think I'm built for it. :afraid:

While I won my age group (only one other guy in it!) it was not fun. It was about 5K too far for me. I grew bored, then really tired, then just wanted out. I finished in 2:48 (hr:min) but I think I'll stick to 5K and the pool! That is all!

FindingMyInnerFish
September 13th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Lets just say I don't think I'm built for it. :afraid:

While I won my age group (only one other guy in it!) it was not fun. It was about 5K too far for me. I grew bored, then really tired, then just wanted out. I finished in 2:48 (hr:min) but I think I'll stick to 5K and the pool! That is all!

All the same, congrats on sticking it out--that seems like a good time to me (from my admittedly ultra-slow perspective). Great job!

Which race was it?

Lump
September 13th, 2010, 10:16 PM
All the same, congrats on sticking it out--that seems like a good time to me (from my admittedly ultra-slow perspective). Great job!

Which race was it?

Thanks. It was "That Dam Swim" in Muscle Shoals, AL. The weather and locale could be more beautiful and perfect. It was a little windy at the end which made the finish that much harder/longer, but awesome nonetheless. They did a great job putting on the event.:applaud:

The overall winner was a 15-year old from Mobile, AL in 2:13.....oh, to be young! :D

Actually there was most of the Huntsville Swim Team (HSA I think), it was nice to be SOME of them! :D

mjtyson
September 15th, 2010, 05:34 AM
That time is awesome! I'm hoping for 3:30 in my first (whenever the heck that'll be)!!!

swimthegoodfight
September 15th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Lump - for pete's sake that's a very good time... is it all swims in excess of 3 miles or was there something about the event, or venue, that was lacking?

there are some notable swims greater than 3 miles that might hold your imagination & interest longer... e.g. NYC Swim's Red Lighthouse, the Boston Light Swim, MDA-fundraiser Pennock Island Challenge and Lin-mark's Great Cheasapeake 4.4 Mile Bridge Swim...

i saw some pictures posted of the venue and it looked like an enjoyable swim - not exactly a natural river shoreline... numerous high-end homes.

michelle King and the shoals sharks company appear to enjoy themselves, and it looks as though the swim is well organized... proximate to numerous cities to make for an easy commute... Florence, AL seemed like it might be an enjoyable weekend escape.

I don't always have the mindset to finish every race I have started... I cannot recall exactly, but I signed up for a 5K on a 1K loop course - I lasted three laps - very bored and convinced I had more important things to do... several hours later I was pretty angry for not completing what I had signed up for...

6 miles is grind - great job... great time... your finish would have won a lot of races!

Lump
September 15th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I think it was a combination of things that led to my dimize. I didn't train specifically for it and didn't do harding any distance type sets leading up to it. I wasn't out-of-shape, just not in 10k shape. I also had some minor health issues going on, some of which were stress related. I just wasn't "me", but no excuses.

My training partner, Malena, kicked my butt (in the pool I kick hers). She passed me when I was drinking about 2000 yards in and I never caught back up. She is new to OW and I think she may have found her calling! I also goes to show that the fastest swimmers don't always win.

Like you said, it was a grind. I like the 5K better as you can push the pace a bit more and I can utilize my pool speed a little more. I think I also put too much pressure on myself to place well and do well and not just finish. Maybe I'd like a long solo swim where its just me against the elements and not agianst other competitiors?

orca1946
September 22nd, 2010, 10:59 AM
Well you have found the distance that you like - so go for it. Good that you finished the 10K.

Lump
September 22nd, 2010, 04:34 PM
Thanks, I did Eric Shanteau's "Swim for Your Life" 5K this past weekend. Didn't plan on swimming in it as I signed up to volunteer but friends urged me to swim with them. Had a great time, and 5K is a good distance for me!