PDA

View Full Version : 10K/5K in Limassol, Cyprus

mjtyson
September 15th, 2010, 05:44 AM
Anyone going to this? I just signed up for the 5K. Looks very pretty.

23/24 Oct (5K on 23rd, 10K on 24th).
Limassol, Cyprus

Link (www.koek.org.cy/) doesn't show much in English, but got the following from the 'official invite.' Any other USMS members happen to be going?

We, have the pleasure to invite you, to participate at the 6th CYPRUS International Swimming Marathon (open sea), 5&10km Men and Women, which shall take place at Limassol, on Saturday 23rd & Sunday 24th October, 2010.
Organizers : Cyprus Swimming Federation
Address: P.O.Box 23931, 1687 Nicosia, Cyprus
Phone: +35722449840 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************+3572 2449840******end_of_the_skype_highlighting, Fax: +35722449842
E-mail: koek@logos.cy.net
Venue : Open Sea area in front of the Famagusta Nautical
Club (parallel to the C.T.O beach).
Course : 1250mt long clearly marked
(oblong sausage shape)
Start Time : 09:00 hrs (GMT + 3)
Start of race : One start, common for Men & Women.
Distance : 5 km on 23/10 & 10 Km on 24/10/2010
Eligibility : Born 1996 and older.
Rules applicable : FINA
Prizes : Cups & medals to the 3 first winners.
Technical Meeting : At the Nautical Club of Famagusta, at 19.00 hrs on the 22nd October 2010.
Entry fee : 30 per swimmer payable at registration (FREE for
Teams if accommodation booked through C.S.F)
Accommodation : Booking of Full Board accommodation offered by
the Cyprus Swimming Federation, at hotels situated
5-10 minutes walking distance from the venue.
Transportation : FREE from Airport /Hotel/Airport, only when
Accommodation is booked through the Cyprus Swimming Federation.

DATES TO REMEMBER
- Preliminary Entry Form : 15/09/2010
- Preliminary Accommodation Booking Form : 15/09/2010
- Final Accommodation Booking Form : 15/10/2010
- Final Entry Forms : 15/10/2010

We look forward to welcome you, and in the meantime I convey to you my
personal wishes,

Panikos Prokopiou
President

Mooog
October 5th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Hi, where did you get the information for this event. I'm interested in entering but everything on their website is for last years event. I've emailed them but not had a reply in what must be a week now.

Mooog

swimthegoodfight
October 7th, 2010, 04:56 PM
mjt - looks like a fantastic event. good luck and keep us all posted.

mjtyson
October 16th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Sorry Mooog, haven't been on for a while. They hardly answer emails. I got the info from them.
They emailed me this week. Now both the 5K & 10k are on Saturday the 23rd. That's the latest.

Mooog
October 18th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Thanks Mike
I did eventually get a reply, I asked a follow-up question as I was hoping to enter my first 10km event but was concerned about my speed (or lack of) and never got a reply. The closing date was a few days ago so it looks like I'll be giving it a miss this time. Oh well, hopefully I'll be able to do one early next season.

Anyway, good luck with your swim!

Cheers, Mooog

mjtyson
October 21st, 2010, 05:35 AM
Thanks Mike
I did eventually get a reply, I asked a follow-up question as I was hoping to enter my first 10km event but was concerned about my speed (or lack of) and never got a reply. The closing date was a few days ago so it looks like I'll be giving it a miss this time. Oh well, hopefully I'll be able to do one early next season.

Anyway, good luck with your swim!

Cheers, Mooog

Exactly the question I asked them for my first 5K. I asked if 1:40 was too slow, they said no. I'll post here a race report after I get back.

mjtyson
October 24th, 2010, 01:21 PM
A more in depth report will follow in a few days. Currently sitting at a Bennigans in Limassol drinking a Guiness and reflecting. All in all a good first 5K. I've proven I can swim almost 2 hours w/o stopping. Or navigation for that matter. Met some wonderful kids here (more on that later). And generally had a good time (Cypriot beer is nothing to write home about, trust me).
I will report that I got first in my age group. But more about that later.

debaru
October 24th, 2010, 10:35 PM
A more in depth report will follow in a few days. Currently sitting at a Bennigans in Limassol drinking a Guiness and reflecting. All in all a good first 5K. I've proven I can swim almost 2 hours w/o stopping. Or navigation for that matter. Met some wonderful kids here (more on that later). And generally had a good time (Cypriot beer is nothing to write home about, trust me).
I will report that I got first in my age group. But more about that later.

Congrats! :applaud: Happy to hear that you had a successful event, in more ways than one.

swimthegoodfight
October 25th, 2010, 10:23 AM
great job - a bennigan's? really? you must yearn for stateside!

keep swimming!

mjtyson
October 25th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Yes, thanks all. It was easy to get first in your age group when you're the only one in your age group and your nearest competitor is 20+ years your junior. I just got back to Moscow and it is 12:15 am. I have tomorrow off from work and will work a blog entry (go to my blog and comment, dammit! And not the USMS blog.) with pictures, to include the "seed" sheet (truly embarassing).

mjtyson
October 26th, 2010, 02:53 AM
OK, so I did it. I swam a 5K. If 10K is a marathon, that means I (finally) 'did' a half marathon, right? Let's just get this out of the way right now. 1:48. Yes. An hour and 48 minutes. Slow as molasses. And 8 minutes over my goal. But, that time got me first place in my age group.

Of course, that's not hard when you're the only one in the race who was alive while the Soviet Union still existed...

(If you want to read more, and see pretty pictures, go to my blog. Here, I'll even give you the link: http://mtheads.typepad.com/10kmarathonswim/)

Cheers,
Mike

debaru
October 27th, 2010, 12:26 AM
OK, so I did it. I swam a 5K. If 10K is a marathon, that means I (finally) 'did' a half marathon, right? Let's just get this out of the way right now. 1:48. Yes. An hour and 48 minutes. Slow as molasses. And 8 minutes over my goal. But, that time got me first place in my age group.

Of course, that's not hard when you're the only one in the race who was alive while the Soviet Union still existed...

(If you want to read more, and see pretty pictures, go to my blog. Here, I'll even give you the link: http://mtheads.typepad.com/10kmarathonswim/)

Cheers,
Mike

Loved your story, Mike. The Daily News of Swimming is looking for people just like you to write stories for them. I think you should send them your resume. :agree:

mjtyson
October 27th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks debaru! (I have spoken to Steve M. about just that very thing...)