PDA

View Full Version : Which OW event would you prefer

Herb
September 17th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Cold and rough in big water or calm and cozy on a small lake?

Herb
September 17th, 2010, 01:09 AM
I thought I could become an OW hero, but discovered I am a wuss. I am curious what proportion actually enjoy the harsh elements.

Being from the midwest, the ocean elements are probably another level of difficulties I couldn't deal with.

Thrashing Slug
September 17th, 2010, 12:54 PM
You didn't list the distances, but all things being equal I'd prefer big water and swells over calm.. as long as the rough conditions are not caused by boats spewing gasoline. I did a triathlon once in those conditions and it was my worst OW experience ever.

srcoyote
September 17th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Having now done both, I can't say that I have a preference. Big cold water certainly gave me an excuse for the poor time that I would have had due to lack of training.

I hope to have a nice mixture of both in my future.

MickYoung
September 17th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I have a lifetime goal of swimming the Macinaw straits.

If I want to train for it, I have to get some cold, rough water swims in. I'd love to see more races with conditions like this years Big Shoulders on calendar becaseu that would help me train for a possible try next August.

ChrisM
September 17th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I'm picking rough (sitting here in my nice cozy office without actually having to risk anything by getting in the water) :)

orca1946
September 18th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Too many swims in Chi town's cold water for me.

Herb
September 21st, 2010, 06:53 PM
I have a lifetime goal of swimming the Macinaw straits.

If I want to train for it, I have to get some cold, rough water swims in. I'd love to see more races with conditions like this years Big Shoulders on calendar becaseu that would help me train for a possible try next August.

I don't know if swimming Macinaw is my lifetime goal but I've always had it in the back of my mind. After getting a bad cramp in a inland lake 5k, it looks like this dream is on hold.

Couple of questions:

Does the swim not count if you wear a wetsuit or something? I don't think I have any problem wearing one myself if it is freezing.

Is there any kind of organized support for this swim or is it something you would arrange on your own?

What is it about 4 miles? With tough waves/currents pretty much always?

MickYoung
September 22nd, 2010, 04:17 PM
I don't know if swimming Macinaw is my lifetime goal but I've always had it in the back of my mind. After getting a bad cramp in a inland lake 5k, it looks like this dream is on hold.

Couple of questions:

Does the swim not count if you wear a wetsuit or something? I don't think I have any problem wearing one myself if it is freezing.

Is there any kind of organized support for this swim or is it something you would arrange on your own?

What is it about 4 miles? With tough waves/currents pretty much always?

I don't think there is an official "count" for Mackinac swims. Jim Dreyer seems to be teh most famous Great Lakes swimmer. He uses wetsuits, but this is what Wikipedia says about him:

"His swimming accomplishments have all been achieved with a wetsuit, and some swims have been done unaccompanied. These facts cause some dispute for establishing world marathon swimming records, as FINA, Channel swimming, and other marathon swimming rules do not allow unnaccompanied or wetsuit swims to compete with standard swim records."

Jim's site:
http://www.swimjimswim.org/#home

There are no regular organized swims of the Mackinac Straits. There was one for the 50th anniversary of the bridge, but only 50 swimmers were invited.

I would want to use channel rules. Water temp averages mid 60's but can be anywhere from about 55 F (brrrr) to 72 F.

A guide who helps with these swims is Kellie Nightlinger

http://www.upwideadventureguide.com/aboutus.html

It you took the shortest route, it would be slightly over 3 miles. There is current, however, and if it gets you off track, you will have to go farther to reach shore and it will seem much farther because of the current. The currents are not generally tidal, so are not easily predicted.

Waves are fairly choppy.

I'm guessing that training for a 10K distance at 60 F would suffice.

It's not a channel swim, but it isn't a warm summer afternoon doing elementary backstroke either.

If you might be interested in sharing expenses, message me. I was thinking of hiring a motorboat and a kayaker. With two swimmers, unless swim speeds are wildly disparate, I'm thinking one motorboat and two kayakers.

Herb
October 4th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I don't think there is an official "count" for Mackinac swims. Jim Dreyer seems to be teh most famous Great Lakes swimmer. He uses wetsuits, but this is what Wikipedia says about him:

"His swimming accomplishments have all been achieved with a wetsuit, and some swims have been done unaccompanied. These facts cause some dispute for establishing world marathon swimming records, as FINA, Channel swimming, and other marathon swimming rules do not allow unnaccompanied or wetsuit swims to compete with standard swim records."

Jim's site:
http://www.swimjimswim.org/#home

There are no regular organized swims of the Mackinac Straits. There was one for the 50th anniversary of the bridge, but only 50 swimmers were invited.

I would want to use channel rules. Water temp averages mid 60's but can be anywhere from about 55 F (brrrr) to 72 F.

A guide who helps with these swims is Kellie Nightlinger

http://www.upwideadventureguide.com/aboutus.html

It you took the shortest route, it would be slightly over 3 miles. There is current, however, and if it gets you off track, you will have to go farther to reach shore and it will seem much farther because of the current. The currents are not generally tidal, so are not easily predicted.

Waves are fairly choppy.

I'm guessing that training for a 10K distance at 60 F would suffice.

It's not a channel swim, but it isn't a warm summer afternoon doing elementary backstroke either.

If you might be interested in sharing expenses, message me. I was thinking of hiring a motorboat and a kayaker. With two swimmers, unless swim speeds are wildly disparate, I'm thinking one motorboat and two kayakers.

I was going to say I need a couple more years but reading up again on that guy makes this seem like just a small feat. Yet, I know better. I just don't know...

Seems there could also be some interest as a fundraiser. I'm sure if the support and scale of numbers was offered there would be a lot of takers.

If I did it myself or just with you and wore a wetsuit I am going to count it.

ViveBene
October 4th, 2010, 10:53 PM
I had to correct the imbalance in the poll. :D

jim thornton
October 4th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Normally, I must say I enjoy the challenge of a more adventurous body of water. But there is something about swimming through endless rolling chop that is very seasickness inducing. Add to that the colder water temperatures, and I very reluctantly suggest I'd rather take my chances in an Ag Belt runoff pond, with its Roundup residue and pig urine...

Your poll reminds me a little of a joke I once heard where a fellow is offered a choice:

Death...or mambo?

After mambo is explained to him, of course, he picks Death.

At which point, the chief nods deliberatively and replies, "All right then. Death it is! By mambo!"

Chicken of the Sea
October 5th, 2010, 12:41 PM
The Lake Michigan one sounds perfect (well, the next best thing to the ocean)

mcountryman
October 6th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Lake Michigan hands down. I've only swum two open waters (Big Shoulders and a lake in Georgia that was 85 degrees). Although the 63 degree water temp was a bit of a shock to my system, both the water temp and the waves were challenging and that made it fun for me.

orca1946
October 6th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Lake Mich is getting colder by the day !:badday:

ViveBene
October 6th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I am glad to see the poll trending in the correct direction. :)

I was in Lake Michigan this morning at 6:30 and again at noon, when the air temp had increased by 25 deg F. It was quite tolerable both times. Water is sub-60; we'll follow it down, probably into November, at which point CIOWS/CIBBOWS takes over the excitement.

Keep on keeping on.

JDY
October 21st, 2010, 07:38 PM
75 would be on the too warm side for me. If it was a longish distance it would slow me down & be uncomfortable.

aurora
October 22nd, 2010, 07:52 AM
cold a ruff love big waves bigger the better! i take cold showers everyday so now a pool gets me over heated. so cold for sure

Hoosier
October 22nd, 2010, 04:25 PM
I probably wouldnt swim the cold rough stuff, not because of the rough, but because of the cold....I vote #3 semi warm rough stuff.....I can only hope to sometime figure out how to do the cold stuff.

firefly
October 31st, 2010, 03:19 AM
I'd have to choose the warmer water. I suffer from cold in general, and cold water in particular. I'm lucky to live in Israel where water temps in the mediterranean allow me to swim April through November without a wetsuit. This year I bought a wetsuit so I can swim through our winter.

Can EVERYONE acclimatize to cold water? Is it only a mind thing?? In temps that to others are comfortable, I shiver, and following my last sea swims last winter, it would take me 1-2 hours to get warm again.