PDA

View Full Version : Swim happy

Pages : [1] 2 3

couldbebetterfly
September 21st, 2010, 10:35 PM
So we have a "swim rant" thread, but I wanted to post my "swim happy" moment today, probably brought on by being out of the water for over a week.

Pool reopened after maintenance + clear, fresh perfect temp water + 6 lap lanes between 4 lap swimmers = 4200yd :bliss:

bzaks1424
September 22nd, 2010, 09:14 AM
Last night I saw my first "stroke set" ever. In practice. Where the practice was actually devoted to strokes (rather than just tons of free style.) I felt like I was going to drown but I survived it! It was the greatest feeling ever!

orca1946
September 22nd, 2010, 10:39 AM
That is all we do in the 1st few weeks of the new season. One VERY UGLY set includes a kicking set with gym shoes on!!!:badday::badday:

ElaineK
September 22nd, 2010, 03:27 PM
So we have a "swim rant" thread, but I wanted to post my "swim happy" moment today, probably brought on by being out of the water for over a week.

Pool reopened after maintenance + clear, fresh perfect temp water + 6 lap lanes between 4 lap swimmers = 4200yd :bliss:

Way to go, 'Fly! I guess that means you're over your cold, too. Perhaps Michael's drink recipe helped? :chug:

ElaineK
September 22nd, 2010, 03:29 PM
Last night I saw my first "stroke set" ever. In practice. Where the practice was actually devoted to strokes (rather than just tons of free style.) I felt like I was going to drown but I survived it! It was the greatest feeling ever!

:applaud::applaud::applaud:

ElaineK
September 22nd, 2010, 03:50 PM
A little background for my greatest swim happy:

As I have mentioned before (too many times, I know...), I had major shoulder surgery for TOS (Thoracic Outlet Syndrome) and thought I would never be able to swim, kayak, or kayak surf again. My surgeon assured me that if all went well, I should be able to get back to swimming again. (I didn't even think about competing at that point...)

The surgery was successful and I sent him a thank you note, soon after I left the hospital. But, recently, I decided to write to Dr. Braun again, letting him know I was not only swimming again; I was competing with USMS. I received a heartwarming reply, including these excerpts:

"The fact that you are swimming 3000 yards is amazing to me. In the first place, I probably couldn't walk 3000 yards unless it was gently downhill.* In the second place, using your arms to propel yourself through water for a distance of over a mile is simply mind boggling to a TOS surgeon."

"The ultimate goal of orthopaedic surgery is to allow someone to enjoy his or her life in a way that they wish to pursue it. You have been extremely successful and I share your success in knowing that we did the right thing, at the right time, to the right person."

"Thank you again for your letter. I will keep it in the file which I never intend to relinquish because it means a lot more to me than the diplomas on the wall."

*Dr. Braun is now 78 years old and was 71 when he operated on me! He was and is still known as one of the leading TOS surgeons in the country and the only one on the west coast who will take the risk of performing the surgery he performed on me.

So, everything I have done in swimming since joining USMS is one big swim happy for me! And, receiving Dr. Braun's letter was (chocolate!) icing on the (chocolate!) cake!! :bliss:

swim4me
September 23rd, 2010, 07:54 PM
Elaine's story is hard to beat, but for my own happy - I just got back from San Francisco and a swim from Alcatraz. Right after jumping off of the boat, I got caught in an East current and was swept way to far to the East and swam back on track after the support boat came to tell me I was too far out, then about 600 yards from the finish, my goggles broke and I could not fix them, so I swam back in with goggles in my hand and my eyes closed, only opening them to sight. My time was a minute or two faster than last year and I am sure I swam much further this time. And despite all that did not go quite right, my first thoughts of that swim are the feelings of being happy, out in the SF Bay (one of my favorite places in the world), and doing what I love most in the world to do!! (I am a failry new open water swimmer, but I LOVE to swim).
:fish2:

ElaineK
September 23rd, 2010, 09:21 PM
And despite all that did not go quite right, my first thoughts of that swim are the feelings of being happy, out in the SF Bay (one of my favorite places in the world), and doing what I love most in the world to do!! (I am a failry new open water swimmer, but I LOVE to swim).
:fish2:

Bobinator
September 24th, 2010, 08:34 AM
For me it's a sunny, calm Saturday morning outside in Forest Park 50 meter pool! I am finishing my 3,500 to 4,000 meter workout and already know a hot cup of coffee, a tastee egg/ham sammy, and chairs full of master's swim buddies await me for the most important part of practice.....visiting with each other!!!!!!! :angel:

moodyrichardson
October 2nd, 2010, 05:41 PM
Age groupers overheard talking with one another after morning practice today:

Girl 1: "I love your laugh."
Girl 2: "Why?"
Girl 1: "Because it makes me happy!"

These were the 9 yr. olds

floswimmer
October 2nd, 2010, 10:43 PM
:applaud:Yonkers Masters Swimming has gotten the word that the pool we use - The Mark Twain Pool - is going to be reopened starting in November, 2010:applaud: Yeeeeeeehaw:bliss:

Celestial
October 4th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I love having a drop dead race at the end of a set - just kinda "surprise! I'm gonna beat you to the wall!" and then we hit the wall laughing about fun that was! Makes my day!:bliss:

bzaks1424
October 5th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Sunday was a rough swim for me... It had been a really long weekend of moving and I hadn't really had a good opportunity to eat a significant meal. So getting to practice and seeing (roughly) 4K on the board was pretty defeating. At the very end of practice we had 3x100 all out. I manged to break 1:30 on all of those in practice. I was very happy about that.

That Guy
October 25th, 2010, 02:31 PM
This morning, after a lousy bike ride to the gym fraught with rain, high wind, darkness, and debris in the bike lanes/shoulders, I walked into the lobby of my gym and saw a woman who I often swim with on her way out of the building. Our conversation went something like this:

Her: "TG! I gotta warn you, the water's really cold in there!"
Me: "That sounds good!"
Her: "Well, ok, but you'll be the only one in there."
Me: "Um... ok..."

And for a while, I was the only one in the pool, which is normally around 85 degrees but was probably about 75 this morning. I was able to swim fast without overheating. There was not a noodler in sight. I had my own lane for my whole workout. :bliss:After that it was back to :badday: for the bike ride to work.

ElaineK
October 25th, 2010, 03:05 PM
And for a while, I was the only one in the pool, which is normally around 85 degrees but was probably about 75 this morning. I was able to swim fast without overheating. There was not a noodler in sight. I had my own lane for my whole workout. :bliss:After that it was back to :badday: for the bike ride to work.

I am green with envy! Cool water AND no noodlers? In my dreams! But, your a cool guy, That Guy, so I'm happy for you. :applaud:

We had bad weather in our area (south of Atlanta), too, and I had to bail on my swim, due to horrible lightening. Our indoor pool has a metal roof and a lot of metal everywhere else, so I decided to get changed and hit the gym, instead...

Redbird Alum
October 25th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Her: "Well, ok, but you'll be the only one in there."
Me: "Um... ok..."

And for a while, I was the only one in the pool, which is normally around 85 degrees but was probably about 75 this morning. ...

Awesome that you got a cool, placid pool... but one question...

Does your facility allow only one person in the pool area?

We are not supposed to swim alone at our facility (although many do) and it seems odd that with all the litigation about lightening storms they would leave themselves so open to a drowning accident.

debaru
October 25th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Awesome that you got a cool, placid pool... but one question...

Does your facility allow only one person in the pool area?

We are not supposed to swim alone at our facility (although many do) and it seems odd that with all the litigation about lightening storms they would leave themselves so open to a drowning accident.

I've often wondered the same thing regarding the pool at my gym. On any given day, I am usually alone in the pool for some portion of my workout. The facility has a security camera, but I wonder whether anyone is even looking at it. As far as I know, since no lifeguard is on duty you're expected to "swim at your own risk".

But, since this is the "Swim Happy" thread, I'm going to close on a happier note. I'm going to be swimming with a Masters club starting on November 1, so no more solo pool days for me. :bliss:

That Guy
October 25th, 2010, 03:52 PM
I've often wondered the same thing regarding the pool at my gym. On any given day, I am usually alone in the pool for some portion of my workout. The facility has a security camera, but I wonder whether anyone is even looking at it. As far as I know, since no lifeguard is on duty you're expected to "swim at your own risk".

But, since this is the "Swim Happy" thread, I'm going to close on a happier note. I'm going to be swimming with a Masters club starting on November 1, so no more solo pool days for me. :bliss:

When "Family Swim Time" is in effect, there is a lifeguard and kids are allowed in. The rest of the time is "swim at your own risk" with no lifeguard and no one under 18 allowed (except for scheduled swim lessons and stuff like that). I don't train with the Masters team or participate in the noodler classes, so I don't know what the expectations are (safety-wise) for people like the Masters swim coach and the noodler herder.

ElaineK
October 25th, 2010, 04:10 PM

Enjoy!!! :applaud: Again, I'm green with envy, because the closest Masters club is 50 minutes away- and they swim too late during the evenings.

Ok, enough of being envious... My "Swim Happy" is getting to swim for two weeks in a postage stamp-sized pool, again! I would normally be :bitching: about that, but I get to "work" on another cruise, so I'll take it! Besides, it's my favorite ship and has a nice indoor pool (even if it is small...). So, between the ship's gym and doing a lot of drills, I'll be a happy camper. :D

Mr. Pacemaker
October 25th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Congrats!

Mr. Pacemaker

Celestial
October 25th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Got to swim at lunch again today with my old group!! :applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud: Woo hoo! It's amazing how slow I've gotten training on my own at 5:30 in the morning tho. . .

That Guy
October 26th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Same story today: cold pool (colder than yesterday), very few people in it. There was a brief power outage while I was warming up. There was just enough natural light coming in that visibility wasn't a problem, so I just kept swimming. Later when I was leaving, the noodler herder was getting set up for today's class. She leads the class clothed and on the pool deck, so she probably had no idea the water was cold. None of the noodlers had arrived yet... I didn't stay around long enough to hear their screams... :lmao:

ElaineK
October 26th, 2010, 03:28 PM
She leads the class clothed and on the pool deck, so she probably had no idea the water was cold. None of the noodlers had arrived yet... I didn't stay around long enough to hear their screams... :lmao:

I can only imagine what that scene must have been like when they finally did put a toe in the water! At our pool, the noodlers whine on a daily basis about the water temperature- and it's 84! :confused:

couldbebetterfly
October 26th, 2010, 10:29 PM
I think I found Ande's, or rather my "sweet spot" on SDK-ing out of a turn..... just the once mind on length 7-8 of a 500 swim...... but there it was , only 3 SDks, keeping the momentum up and a smooth transition into the stroke. Now the challenge is to do that off every turn!

swimmerb212
October 27th, 2010, 10:57 AM
The other day I took a breath right off my flip turn, and it felt weird. That was the moment I realized that I've finally become accustomed to the pattern of flip, streamline, two strokes, breath.

(please don't tell me it's time to work on three strokes now!)

bzaks1424
October 27th, 2010, 02:11 PM
The other day I took a breath right off my flip turn, and it felt weird. That was the moment I realized that I've finally become accustomed to the pattern of flip, streamline, two strokes, breath.

I was thinking 5! :-D

couldbebetterfly
October 27th, 2010, 02:57 PM

Well I have got up to 4 in warm up when I really concentrate on my stroke. This was in the middle of a pyramid swim, where I was doing a good pace, but not all-out. I need to work on the best time to breathe before the turn as well!

ElaineK
December 5th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I just posted today's workout and hit my Go the Distance goal of 420,000 yards for the year! I wasn't sure my shoulders would hold up, because of my past surgery, but they did! :bliss:

Allen Stark
December 5th, 2010, 11:58 PM
I posted a swim rant yesterday and have a swim happy today.My 50 M BR today was faster than my best "shiny suit" time.

ElaineK
December 6th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I posted a swim rant yesterday and have a swim happy today.My 50 M BR today was faster than my best "shiny suit" time.

:cheerleader: Way to go, Frog!

no200fly
December 6th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Went to workout at noon today - the water was warm and the chlorine was bad.

It was still great. I feel so much better now than 7 years ago when I returned to swimming.

norascats
December 6th, 2010, 06:22 PM
I have to cheer for Mark Twian. Although when I went there there was no pool. The only pool in SE Yonkers was Tibbetts and that's outdoors.

debaru
December 7th, 2010, 11:00 PM
I just posted today's workout and hit my Go the Distance goal of 420,000 yards for the year! I wasn't sure my shoulders would hold up, because of my past surgery, but they did! :bliss:

Congrats, Elaine! :applaud:

Queen
December 8th, 2010, 09:17 AM
My SO and I spent Thanksgiving week at a spa, she worked out constantly in the gym, I was in the water non-stop. One little old woman who was spending the week commented at our communal dinner "I've never seen someone so happy in the water as you, you smile all the time". I told her I'm happier in water than I am on land... every swim is a happy swim. :D

ElaineK
December 8th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Congrats, Elaine! :applaud:
Thanks, Deb! :D

Redbird Alum
December 10th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Last night after coaching and before my own workout, I was cleaning up the pool deck and had a chance discussion with the guard on duty. I learned that she was the sole swimmer at the local high school, and she learned that I was the anonymous "swimming booster" who kept the local high school web site current on the co-op swim team schedules (boys & girls). The local HS has to co-op with another, as it has no pool, coach or team.

The "happy" part? Four years ago I wrote a profile piece in the local paper when the then sole female swimmer was a senior. Turns out the current sole swimmer was in sixth grade, read the piece and was really impressed that a swimmer was profiled in our small-town paper. It encouraged her and her parents to opt for the co-op swimming when she got to high school!

Sometimes we unwittingly extend our sport just by doing what we do, without knowing the impact we have. :bliss:

swim4me
December 11th, 2010, 12:24 PM
My SO and I spent Thanksgiving week at a spa, she worked out constantly in the gym, I was in the water non-stop. One little old woman who was spending the week commented at our communal dinner "I've never seen someone so happy in the water as you, you smile all the time". I told her I'm happier in water than I am on land... every swim is a happy swim. :D

I wish there was a 'like' button sometimes!!!:applaud:

debaru
December 22nd, 2010, 10:31 PM
My evening workout turned out to be way more fun than I had expected. We had a small turnout due to the upcoming holidays and the fact that it was raining, so our coach decided to let us have some fun.

We did the "Tour de Mona" as he called it (I swim at the Mona Plummer Aquatic Center at ASU), which equated to swimming up and down each 25 yard lane of the main pool, followed by the warm-up pool. After finishing off the pools, the next part of the tour involved diving off of each diving board in the diving well, and for those with the nerve, the "piece de resistance" was jumping off the 10 meter platform (I jumped from the 5 meter platform, which seemed like a mile off the water).

After all of that fun and frivolity, we ended our "workout" by playing 4 games of Sharks and Minnows. I haven't done anything like this since I was in high school.

Oh, and by the way, our coach did all of this with us. In fact, he was the lead Shark! Talk about swimming happy! I felt like a kid again! :bliss:

ElaineK
December 23rd, 2010, 11:18 AM
Talk about swimming happy! I felt like a kid again! :bliss:

That sounds like a hoot! :D I'm happy you found a good "home" with your new team, Deb. That is definitely something I am missing out on, swimming alone. (But, the convenience factor and super-short distance to the pool is a huge positive, for me! :agree: )

Happy new year!
:chug:

orca1946
December 23rd, 2010, 11:39 AM
Fun is why we all swim ! I'm glad to hear of the games you all played!:banana:

debaru
December 23rd, 2010, 11:49 AM
I failed to mention in my post that our coach was the first person to jump off the 10 meter platform after completing the "swim tour". :applaud:

debaru
December 23rd, 2010, 12:11 PM
That sounds like a hoot! :D I'm happy you found a good "home" with your new team, Deb. That is definitely something I am missing out on, swimming alone. (But, the convenience factor and super-short distance to the pool is a huge positive, for me! :agree: )

Happy new year!
:chug:

I hear you. On the days that I have to travel from home to swim, the 21 mile trip one-way causes me to miss my short 5-mile trip to the gym where I used to swim. But, when I'm done with my workout, I'm always glad I made the drive.

Maybe when you're out here for Nationals in the Spring, and if you have the time, you could join me at my club for a workout. :agree: We'd love to have you.

And, Happy New Year to you and yours! :party2:

ElaineK
December 23rd, 2010, 03:06 PM
I hear you. On the days that I have to travel from home to swim, the 21 mile trip one-way causes me to miss my short 5-mile trip to the gym where I used to swim. But, when I'm done with my workout, I'm always glad I made the drive.

Maybe when you're out here for Nationals in the Spring, and if you have the time, you could join me at my club for a workout. :agree: We'd love to have you.

And, Happy New Year to you and yours! :party2:

That sounds great- thanks! Hey, great Smiley for the New Year! :applaud:

couldbebetterfly
December 24th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Well last time I was in the pool was with my 6 yo, so I hardly did anything....but we timed each other for fun and I managed a 50 fr kick in 48, a 50 free in 32 and 100 free in 1.09 all from a push. So watch out 1.00 here I come :banana:.

She did 25 kick (breast - because "you said fast Mummy" - although it defeats the purpose of the exercise) in 31 and 25 free in 29 (but snaked up the pool not concentrating) then complained of being cold, but wouldn't do any more lengths. And she was the one wanting to come swimming with me. Ah well, we'll both be well rested for our Jan meet! - Sorry should probably put that last bit in the rant thread.

debaru
December 29th, 2010, 11:53 AM
I'm ending my first full year back swimming on a very happy note.

Since I joined a Masters group, I ended my membership with my local gym where I spent most of my year swimming. On January 1, I will no longer be a member, so I decided to swim there one last time this morning.

On my very first lap, I found a gold necklace on the bottom of the pool. This wasn't just some costume jewelry, but a really nice quality gold necklace with a multiple diamond pendant. Having lost jewelry of my own that I never got back, I put it on top of my sandals, and planned on turning it in at the front desk.

About 3/4 of the way through my workout, I saw a gym employee walking around the pool looking for something. I waved him over and told him I had found a necklace earlier, and asked if was he looking for it. To my delight he was, and I was able to see the necklace reunited with its rightful owner. :bliss:

ElaineK
December 29th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Good on ya, Debbie! :applaud:

debaru
December 29th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Good on ya, Debbie! :applaud:

Thanks, Elaine! I'm hoping this is a good omen and that some Karma (of the good kind) will come my way for 2011. :fish2:

fmracing
December 29th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Been back in the pool one year this week. Lost 20 lbs with no changes to diet. I still gorge on cheeseburgers, pizza, taco bell, and chinese buffets. I gained a lot of endurance conditioning back, and the race speeds have come a long way in one year.

Yesterday I held a set of 400 SCM swims on 6:00 with about 15-20 sec rest each. Last week I did a 85-90% effort 500m well under 7:00, and my practice pushoff 100m sprints are right in the 1:00 flat area depending on the day. All this done working out alone, making up my own sets, at the Y on my lunch hour 2-3 times a week (2000-2500 per session).

I wanted to post the swim happy though, because I can't believe how swimming on my own has rejuvenated my interest for the sport. I like it more now than I ever did back in HS and college under a coach. Hopefully 2011 keeps the interest and the increases coming. :)

nkfrench
December 30th, 2010, 12:28 PM
This [holiday] week the age groupers have their practices earlier so when our Masters practice ends, there are no kids running around the lockerrooms screaming, shrieking, hogging the showers and having shampoo fights. Peace on earth!

magick17
December 30th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I've never really been a competitive swimmer. I did practice with the team in high school as a choosen workout but I was a cheerleader and at the time it was a more coveted activity.
I started masters a year ago.
About a month ago I added an extra workout at the local rec in addition to my masters sessions and two lifeguards insisted I had to had swum in college! They didn't believe I generally just began swimming.
i felt like a rockstar!

magick17
December 30th, 2010, 12:56 PM
2nd one is when 5 us got together and were the only Masters group to show up as a team to the CMU hour of power..we had so much fun! even if we had to swim against the water polo team!

couldbebetterfly
December 31st, 2010, 12:01 AM
I can't believe how swimming on my own has rejuvenated my interest for the sport. I like it more now than I ever did back in HS and college under a coach. Hopefully 2011 keeps the interest and the increases coming. :)

I'm totally with you on this one. I thought it would be tough to keep motivated swimming on my own, but I have found I can swim exactly how I want. I saw some good time drops on my sprints this summer and am hoping that has continued. Also although, or maybe because, I am limited in my pool time, I really can't wait for my next swim!

pwb
December 31st, 2010, 09:40 AM
Swim happy end to the year -- ~5:40am in Scottsdale on a rare morning where the temperature dipped below freezing, a bit of ice on the deck, very few cars in the parking lot, the pool enveloped in fog rising from the 50 meter length and you could barely tell if anyone was even in the water. Like clockwork, though, there was our chipper coach Laura, smiling like it was mid-70s and sunshine and ready with another great workout. Thanks for another great year of training, Laura. Cheers!:chug:

fatboy
December 31st, 2010, 03:18 PM
Last swim of 2010. Made my GTD goal!!

Couroboros
January 17th, 2011, 12:35 AM
This will be a bit of a long post, so forgive me.

One of my resolutions for the New Year was for my first meet of the year (which just ended) to be my new "BMY"- Best Meet Yet. Last November and December, I had two really spectacular meets where I dropped a lot of time in a lot of events. Perhaps this was too much to expect, but I wanted to prove to myself I could get right back into it after the Christmas break (which was a week and a half), and after getting sick the first week of the new year, too.

The meet began well enough, I dropped almost a second and a half in the 100 back, to set my new PB at 1:16 flat. Then it was BZZZZT all downhill from there. 100 free's 1:00.83 is something I blame on my own arrogance (an arrogance which I didn't even know I had until it was too late). If I had just taken a test dive, maybe I would have a new 100 free PB right now. As is, I got flustered by the tiny blocks. So disappointed with my 100 free was I, that I blew-off cooldowns for the rest of the meet.

Day 1:

100 back: old PB 1:17.38 (Dec '10) /// new PB 1:16.00 (Jan '11)
100 free: PB 58.93 (Dec '10) /// 1:00.83 (Jan '11)
200 breast: PB 3:09 (Apr '10) /// 3:17.08 (Jan '11) (admittedly, the April swim was tapered and shaved down, and I have no experience in this event at all)
100 fly: PB 1:11.25 (Dec '10) /// 1:15 (Jan '11)

So last night, I just kept telling myself, "Keep your nerve, keep your nerve, keep your nerve, there's still another day, a whole 'nother day of racing..."

When I came to the meet earlier, I was told I had to scratch one of my four events because the meet got overbooked. I opted out of the 200 backstroke and got a refund. That left the 200 IM, the 100 breast, and the 50 free.

I have never swum the 200 IM before, or indeed any IM. I raced it and got a time of 2:42. I guess that's good? I really have no perspective on it.

The 100 breast was a crusher, but I kept my cool and didn't completely wipe out. Still, my coach and I have both agreed that my breaststroke needs a lot of work, particularly my kick and my turns. I got a 1:29.

So, the meet so far:

Day 2

200 IM: PB 2:42 (Jan '11) It's a start!
100 breast: PB 1:24.30 (Dec '10) /// 1:29 (Jan '11)

Only the 50 free is left to tell of. My PB coming into it was 27.53, as set at a meet way back in October. In those two great meets I had in November and December, I set new PBs in EVERY event I was entered in except for the 50 free. I got a 28.05 and a 27.86, respectively. So, how did I do?

26.35! :D

I flew, baby, I flew! It was one of those spin-around-and-rip-off-my-cap-n-goggles swims, so I could find out my time on the board as quickly as I could.

As I was packing up my bag to leave a few minutes later, I realized I was "back in it." Bad swims leave me feeling like a stranger in my own body. I feel like my temple is all disordered. I might have aches, I might feel disoriented for hours and days afterwards. For me, there is only one cure-all for this kind of thing: have a really good swim.

Incidentally, my three latest PBs in the 50 free have all come at the end of of my most disappointing meets. My 27.72 last May came after a very dissatisfactory 100 free which was rather similar to my 100 free yesterday (I slipped off the blocks, lost streamline). My 27.53 last October came after a meet where I had made only marginal gains (even the 50 free PB was a mere 19 milliseconds faster than May's swim). And now this one comes at the end of this meet... 26.35. I felt great swimming it and I feel great now, afterwards.

Keep your nerve, my fellow swimmers.

ElaineK
January 17th, 2011, 03:21 PM
26.35! :D
I flew, baby, I flew!
Way to go, Couroboros! :applaud: :cheerleader:

Nancy H.
February 2nd, 2011, 11:33 AM
I'm staying in Boston for a couple of nights, and last night I was able to swim at Simmons College for the first time in months. Their pool is wider, deeper, and much cooler than the one I usually use, and I did a 3000 meter workout with seemingly half the effort I seem to expend when I swim in my club's pool. I hadn't fully appreciated until last night just what a difference water temperature makes.

Also, it's so nice to be able to flip turn and not feel like I'm going to bang my head on the bottom of the pool. :)

jethro
February 2nd, 2011, 09:12 PM
I was off work today because of the weather, but the pool was open. I guess all the snow and ice kept everyone else away this afternoon, because the place was empty. I had the whole pool to myself for the 2 hours I was there. No kids, no noodlers, just me and the lifeguard.

The pool is usually very busy all day long, so it was a very nice change of pace.

kgernert
February 3rd, 2011, 08:26 AM
Got back to the pool today with my teammates for the first time in two days because of the ice. At practice, (granted I had my fins on) I swam my first ever 200 continuous fly! HOLY COW! So glad to be back in the pool!:applaud:

Bobinator
February 3rd, 2011, 08:46 AM
A 200 FLY???? Wow you were glad to be there!

couldbebetterfly
February 6th, 2011, 06:11 PM
First swim in 10 days!!!!!!

So it was busy, and no 200 fly for me, but after about an hour and it had quietened down and there was just me in the lane a guy asked to split the lane. Fine - no problem, then he asked how long we were all practicing for. My response "Oh I'm not with the swim team"

I mean I'm probably more than 20 years older than most of the swimmers in the next 5 lanes (which is why the lap lanes were so busy - poor swim team hadn't had a swim since Monday!) So it made me feel good until I could no longer make my interval :D

ElaineK
February 10th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Today is my 1st anniversary as a USMS member! :bliss:I celebrated it with a taper swim, in preparation for this weekend's meet at Auburn. Goooooo GAJA!!! :cheerleader:

bzaks1424
February 10th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Today is my 1st anniversary as a USMS member! :bliss:I celebrated it with a taper swim, in preparation for this weekend's meet at Auburn. Goooooo GAJA!!! :cheerleader:

Happy Swimerversary! Mine was Feb 2nd. I spent it swimming SCM after helping Coach dig out 6-7' drifts out of her driveway.

pmccoy
February 10th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Happy anniversary! Taper swims are always happy swims. Today will be my last taper day if the snow clears up enough. Tomorrow morning, I'm headed to Auburn. Can't wait!

ElaineK
February 10th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Thanks, Michael and Peter! Hey, happy swimmerversary to you, too, Michael! :D :bliss:

Peter, I'll look forward to meeting you at Auburn! :banana: I see you're swimming breaststroke events, as well, so I'll keep an eye out for you there. You know what I look like, so look for me, too! (If I already have my suit and cap on, it's a royal blue silicone cap, clear lens Tyr goggles, and a red, white, and blue Speedo.)

Happy taper!

pmccoy
February 10th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Yes, it's true... I like swimming breast stroke. I'm easy to find... I'll be the one swimming 200 backstroke w/ a paper bag on my head :).

When I'm not swimming, I'm usually wearing black warm-up pants and a blue/red Barcelona soccer jersey. In the pool, I'll be wearing a blue pin-striped jammer and a silver cap.

bzaks1424
February 10th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Yes, it's true... I like swimming breast stroke. I'm easy to find... I'll be the one swimming 200 backstroke w/ a paper bag on my head :).

When I'm not swimming, I'm usually wearing black warm-up pants and a blue/red Barcelona soccer jersey. In the pool, I'll be wearing a blue pin-striped jammer and a silver cap.

Sounds like someone should get a forumite t-shirt....

ElaineK
February 10th, 2011, 05:59 PM

A breaststroker with a slower backstroke- hmmmm; that sure sounds familiar to me! :blush: There are several of us who feel that way about our backstroke and have the slower times to prove it! Don't feel bad; you're not alone! :bighug:

Thanks for the tip-off; I'll look for you on deck!

ElaineK
February 10th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Sounds like someone should get a forumite t-shirt....

I'll be wearing mine! :banana: Speaking of Forumite t-shirt, any chance I can get you to make the Top 10 list on back of the shirt larger, so others can read it without a magnifying glass? :D I'll buy another one if you do it! :agree:

couldbebetterfly
February 12th, 2011, 05:32 PM
So after all the ice and snow of last week, I managed Sun, Tue, Thurs and Sat in the pool. GTD is happy, I'm happy, and I might even get a swim in next weekend too :D Also I'm beginning to feel the benefit of my endurance sets and re-learning to descend 100s :banana:

Amy T
February 12th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I swam in my very first Master's meet today! I went a 3:03.23 on my 200 back, and it was my first time swimming it, ever. more importantly, everyone was so so nice! I love it!

couldbebetterfly
February 12th, 2011, 10:15 PM
I swam in my very first Master's meet today! I went a 3:03.23 on my 200 back, and it was my first time swimming it, ever. more importantly, everyone was so so nice! I love it!
:applaud: Glad you enjoyed it!

kgernert
February 14th, 2011, 09:54 AM

Way to go on your 200 back :applaud: and welcome to the world of Master's competitions. Racing does get addictive....

Tri-ingToTurn40
February 17th, 2011, 11:06 AM
I have a swim happy!

I got a chance to practice diving off the starting blocks this morning!!

I haden't done that in 20 years, and that's really the only thing I'm nervous about at the meet I signed up for next month.

I talked to the swim coach for the triahlon class I'm currently taking about the Y's no diving policy and asked if he could help me out by seeing if they would let me go off the blocks during class time.

So today he stopped me during a set and had me hop up and try it.

The good news is I was able to keep my goggles on about half the time. This is an improvemnt over 20 years ago (0% of the time) and I will credit improved goggle technology. (We can assume my technique has not improved. lol) Because they staty on sometimes, I can tell what I need to be doing with the angle of my head to make them stay on better. Yay for all that!

All the times that I managed to get the front end of my dive right, my thighs slapped the water really loudly (and they are now correspondingly red). But, oh well for now on that.

At this first-meet-in-20-years on March 5, my goal is a dive that gives me a better start than pushing from the wall and leaves my goggles in place.

AND, he said he'd let me practice a few more times before the meet. Yay!

ElaineK
February 17th, 2011, 06:27 PM
The good news is I was able to keep my goggles on about half the time. This is an improvemnt over 20 years ago (0% of the time) and I will credit improved goggle technology. (We can assume my technique has not improved. lol) Because they staty on sometimes, I can tell what I need to be doing with the angle of my head to make them stay on better. Yay for all that!

Try Ande's trick for keeping your goggles on: Put a second cap OVER your goggle strap, then pull the cap down over the top edge of your goggles. I wear both caps over my goggles and it works great. For extra security, put Vaseline around your eye sockets where the goggles fit. Not only will it help keep the goggles on better; it helps protect the soft skin tissue around your eyes. Finally, look back at your legs when you dive in and squeeze your arms against your ears.

Good luck!
:cheerleader:

orca1946
February 19th, 2011, 07:19 PM
To keep goggles on for new divers, I have them put their arms up then shrug shoulders in & push top of biceps onto goggles

ElaineK
February 26th, 2011, 04:48 PM
My Swim Happy for the day: I went over the 50 mile mark in my FLOG for GTD. :bliss:

pmccoy
February 26th, 2011, 07:45 PM
My Swim Happy for the day: I went over the 50 mile mark in my FLOG for GTD. :bliss:

Great Job!! What is your goal this year? I'm shooting for the free swimsuit (500 mi.)

Karlene
February 26th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Way to go, Elaine!

couldbebetterfly
February 26th, 2011, 10:04 PM

:applaud: WooHoo!! I'm hoping to achieve the 50 miles by the end of this coming week.

mcountryman
February 27th, 2011, 06:45 AM

Good for you!!!

jethro
February 27th, 2011, 08:09 AM
One nice thing about being fairly new to swimming is that every meet I set a new personal best time in at least one event, often by significant margins. Yesterday's meet was no exception. That's my latest swim happy. It certainly helps with motivation. :agree:

ElaineK
February 27th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Great Job!! What is your goal this year? I'm shooting for the free swimsuit (500 mi.)

Thanks Peter, Karlene, 'Fly, and Marianne! And, congrats. to you, Jethro, for your PB's! :applaud:

My goal for this year is 275 miles (I was at 262+ for 2010). Good luck in your goal, Peter! That's a lot of miles, but the free suit will be a nice reward. :banana:

Karlene, 'Fly, and Marianne: What are your GTD goals for this year? Good luck! :cheerleader:

Karlene
February 27th, 2011, 05:04 PM
My GTD goal is the same as last year: 1 million yards (about 570 miles). So far, I'm ahead of last year's yardage.

ElaineK
February 27th, 2011, 05:23 PM
My GTD goal is the same as last year: 1 million yards (about 570 miles). So far, I'm ahead of last year's yardage.

:afraid:

Wow, Karlene! As slow as I swim, I would be water-logged to get that many yards/miles in! But, I am doing a bit of travel, so I had to take that into account with my goal. I'm going to be on a river cruise in late August/ early September without access to a pool. I wonder how swimming on the Rhine or Moselle would be, while the boat is tied up? :banana: Seriously, if anybody out there sees this post and knows about swimming conditions there, please let me know!

couldbebetterfly
February 27th, 2011, 05:49 PM

:bow: My goal is just half that 500,000 yards - basically 10k per week, so that'd be, errr 285 miles. Hopefully I can get extra done in June & July to make up for 3 weeks of not much in August.

couldbebetterfly
February 27th, 2011, 05:59 PM
And while I'm here - I did 29.91 on my 50 free today!

Took a Fastskin to do it, but there you have it, my first sub 30 :)

For those tech-suities :afraid: FYI, yesterday I swam 30.12 therefore the Fastskin = 0.21 sec per 50 on free. Possibly a better comparison was the 50 fly, being the 1st event of the day both days - yesterday 31.67, today 31.2x, so .4 difference.

ElaineK
February 27th, 2011, 06:45 PM
And while I'm here - I did 29.91 on my 50 free today!

Took a Fastskin to do it, but there you have it, my first sub 30 :)

For those tech-suities :afraid: FYI, yesterday I swam 30.12 therefore the Fastskin = 0.21 sec per 50 on free. Possibly a better comparison was the 50 fly, being the 1st event of the day both days - yesterday 31.67, today 31.2x, so .4 difference.

smontanaro
February 27th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I got to swim outside twice so far on my vacation, should be three times after tomorrow. It made me swim happy to swim outdoors in 75-80 degree sunshine during February. :D

S

couldbebetterfly
March 3rd, 2011, 02:25 PM
Yay I hit the 50 mile mark today and the GTD fairy is happy!

I also did 1350 yds fly work, so a total of 2750yds fly this week :bliss:

ElaineK
March 3rd, 2011, 02:58 PM
Yay I hit the 50 mile mark today and the GTD fairy is happy!

I also did 1350 yds fly work, so a total of 2750yds fly this week :bliss:

:applaud: on your 50 miles!

:afraid: on your 1350 yds fly!

cheakamus
March 4th, 2011, 01:42 AM
I swam my first 100 fly today (age 60), came home, and signed up to do it again at a meet next weekend!:):canada:

philoswimmer
March 7th, 2011, 01:26 AM
I swam my first 100 fly today (age 60), came home, and signed up to do it again at a meet next weekend!:):canada:

That's fabulous!! Well done!!:banana:

jaadams1
March 7th, 2011, 11:15 PM

If its the meet I'm thinking of (ORCA)...I'll be in the same 100 fly with you. Good luck, I'll likely be in the final heat.

That Guy
March 7th, 2011, 11:38 PM
If its the meet I'm thinking of (ORCA)...I'll be in the same 100 fly with you. Good luck, I'll likely be in the final heat.

I'll be at that meet as well. And I even entered the 100 fly. Scanning the entry list on swimphone (http://www.swimphone.com/mobile/meets/swimmers.cfm?smid=2919) for forumites, I see larsoda there, and Randy Rogers, but no knelson (WTF). Thrashing Slug, are you entered? (I'm not sure who you are IRL.) Larsoda and Randy Rogers, did you enter the 100 fly?

Knelson, you have until Wednesday to enter the 100 fly so we can have an all-forumite heat which will cause both usms.org and youtube.com to burn down in a blaze of glory. Either that or we will be forced to make fun of you on the internet. Which, actually, we'll do either way. Your call man :angel:

jaadams1
March 7th, 2011, 11:46 PM
I'll be at that meet as well. And I even entered the 100 fly. Scanning the entry list on swimphone (http://www.swimphone.com/mobile/meets/swimmers.cfm?smid=2919) for forumites, I see larsoda there, and Randy Rogers, but no knelson (WTF). Thrashing Slug, are you entered? (I'm not sure who you are IRL.) Larsoda and Randy Rogers, did you enter the 100 fly?

Knelson, you have until Wednesday to enter the 100 fly so we can have an all-forumite heat which will cause both usms.org and youtube.com to burn down in a blaze of glory. Either that or we will be forced to make fun of you on the internet. Which, actually, we'll do either way. Your call man :angel:

I think Knelson is still in lala land from his trip to Hawaii. :blah: He'll probably come out of it around 10:30pm on Wednesday just in time to enter the 100 fly with us...but will accidentally click 200 fly by mistake! :cheerleader:

cheakamus
March 8th, 2011, 02:26 AM
I expect (hope) I'll be in the first heat, as my only goal (for this year) is to finish. Still working on technique, as well as endurance. I'm a little worried, though, because my son came home from Olympia today with a terrible flu bug, and he usually manages to pass these things on. Oh well, I'll be washing my hands every five minutes between now and Saturday. Hope to see you all at ORCA.

jaadams1
March 8th, 2011, 10:05 AM
I expect (hope) I'll be in the first heat, as my only goal (for this year) is to finish. Still working on technique, as well as endurance. I'm a little worried, though, because my son came home from Olympia today with a terrible flu bug, and he usually manages to pass these things on. Oh well, I'll be washing my hands every five minutes between now and Saturday. Hope to see you all at ORCA.

We'll watch for you...good luck...just take it easy and pace yourself. There's no point of making your 1st 100 fly a miserable one. We want you to return for a 200 fly with us one day!! :applaud:

larsoda
March 8th, 2011, 11:23 AM

No to the 100 fly, but decided to enter the 200 fly for "fun." I'm pretty sure I wouldn't make the final heat for the 100fly, anyway.

Good luck, though

Dan

That Guy
March 8th, 2011, 01:08 PM
No to the 100 fly, but decided to enter the 200 fly for "fun." I'm pretty sure I wouldn't make the final heat for the 100fly, anyway.

Good luck, though

Dan

Thanks! I'm in the 200 fly as well so we'll both get to enjoy it. :bliss:

Tri-ingToTurn40
March 9th, 2011, 06:09 AM
My swim happy is that I survived my first 50 fly in competition last Saturday.

I always wished they'd had this event in high school--I "couldn't" make it 100 yards. When I saw this event in masters, I jumped at the chance to do it.

A month ago, I did exactly two lengths (25s) of fly with long rest between, just to get a feel of of where I was starting. (I've been triathlon training--just freestyle with a little backstroke in recovery and cooldown sets)

Then I got bronchitis and never got any fly practice.

I still survived my 50 (though it wasn't pretty).

I think I might try a 100 (with practice)...

That Guy
March 12th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks! I'm in the 200 fly as well so we'll both get to enjoy it. :bliss:

Good times were had by all the flyers in Seattle today. Cheakamus smashed his entry time in the 100, Jaadams1 went 58-low to win our gridge in the final heat of the 100, I tied for second in that race with a guy from Hawaii, Larsoda was in a close race with Ryan from the Orca team in the 200, and I had a good 200 with a new race strategy (75 cruise, 75 hard, 50 AFAP) that worked out ok. I went about 2 seconds slower than I did in the same meet last year, but in that meet I had jaadams1 to chase down on the second 100, whereas for this meet he was standing at the end of my lane, yelling at me at the 75, the 125, and the 175. Since I was swimming, it was hard to tell what he was saying. I think he said "Breakfast! Kitchen! POOOORRRRK!" I took that to mean that someone had bacon somewhere on the pool deck, and it was imperative that I finish as quickly as possible so that I could have some too. By the time I finished though, it was all gone apparently. :badday:

cheakamus
March 12th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Looks like I'm not the only one who comes home from a meet and immediately logs on here to keep the high going!

Nice meeting you today, That Guy. Watching you swim the 200 fly was awesome. I had a great time, and now I know what I have to work toward for the PNA Champs in April. Hope to see you there.

That Guy
March 12th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Looks like I'm not the only one who comes home from a meet and immediately logs on here to keep the high going!

Nice meeting you today, That Guy. Watching you swim the 200 fly was awesome. I had a great time, and now I know what I have to work toward for the PNA Champs in April. Hope to see you there.

Thanks Cheakamus, it was nice to meet you too. See you at PNA's!

couldbebetterfly
March 12th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I got asked today if I was on the school swim team....:confused:....have I discovered some secret to eternal youth making me look 18 in a swimsuit, cap and goggles?

Actually, it is more of a "swim weird" - especially as I got asked pretty much the same thing a few weeks back.

jaadams1
March 12th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Good times were had by all the flyers in Seattle today. Cheakamus smashed his entry time in the 100, Jaadams1 went 58-low to win our gridge in the final heat of the 100, I tied for second in that race with a guy from Hawaii, Larsoda was in a close race with Ryan from the Orca team in the 200, and I had a good 200 with a new race strategy (75 cruise, 75 hard, 50 AFAP) that worked out ok. I went about 2 seconds slower than I did in the same meet last year, but in that meet I had jaadams1 to chase down on the second 100, whereas for this meet he was standing at the end of my lane, yelling at me at the 75, the 125, and the 175. Since I was swimming, it was hard to tell what he was saying. I think he said "Breakfast! Kitchen! POOOORRRRK!" I took that to mean that someone had bacon somewhere on the pool deck, and it was imperative that I finish as quickly as possible so that I could have some too. By the time I finished though, it was all gone apparently. :badday:

Woohoo!! I got thr grudgematch...I guess. Though the true grudgematch will be when we can finally coordinate our entries to both be in the 200 fly at the same time again!!. :) It seems lately when you're swimming it, I'm on the deck watching, and when I swim it...you're eating some of that free bacon!!

jaadams1
March 12th, 2011, 11:26 PM

Hey cheakamus!! Nice meeting you today. Good swim in the 100 Fly. See...it's not that scary, you did quite well. Just keep on working at it, and maybe one day you can join the ranks of those crazy 200 flyers around the Northwest!! :banana:

That Guy
March 12th, 2011, 11:27 PM
grudgematch

gridge. get it right.

cheakamus
March 12th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Good to meet you too, James. Maybe next year for the 200, after I've got a lot more 100s under my belt. See you at PNA!

jaadams1
March 13th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Good to meet you too, James. Maybe next year for the 200, after I've got a lot more 100s under my belt. See you at PNA!

But not in the 100 Fly for me this time. Don't miss the 200 Free though. That'll be a good one to watch. I'll be in there, but not freestyle! :)

larsoda
March 13th, 2011, 12:05 PM

Nice 100 fly race! I'm not sure how you pulled off the tie - you must have had a great lunge to the wall!

I'm pretty sure you didn't lap me on the 200fly, so I guess my day was OK.:banana: Next time I sign up for something "fun," I'll probably stick to a 50, though...

That Guy
March 13th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Nice 100 fly race! I'm not sure how you pulled off the tie - you must have had a great lunge to the wall!

I'm pretty sure you didn't lap me on the 200fly, so I guess my day was OK.:banana: Next time I sign up for something "fun," I'll probably stick to a 50, though...

Before seeing the scoreboard, I actually thought that I passed him on my second to last stroke but I guess I didn't quite pull it off.

50's have been disappointing for me lately but I will probably warm up to them again in LCM, where there is no turn and the bacon is plentiful :bliss:

Slowswim
March 18th, 2011, 11:27 AM
After all these years, I finally think I gotten the "feel" for swimming down hill.:bliss:

I can actually feel that my legs aren't dragging!:banana:

Now all have have to do is keep at it and make it second nature.:blah:

ElaineK
July 11th, 2011, 02:40 PM
"Lightening" struck in our community and the pool heater is currently "inoperable". The water temperature was 79 degrees this morning, so the noodlers went to use the outdoor pool and I had the entire indoor 79 degree pool to myself. :D :bliss:

(Note: The words in quotes were directly taken from the sign posted on the door of the pool. Misspellings were the HOA's, not mine!)

aquageek
July 11th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Lightening struck in our community and the pool heater is currently "inoperable".

What is the correlation between pool heaters and pregnancy?

bzaks1424
July 11th, 2011, 03:02 PM

*starts drum roll*

I'm hoping there's a good punchline to this...

That Guy
July 11th, 2011, 04:30 PM
*starts drum roll*

I'm hoping there's a good punchline to this...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lightening

smilies are unrelated :cake::bed::banana::2cents::argue:

bzaks1424
July 11th, 2011, 06:09 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lightening

smilies are unrelated :cake::bed::banana::2cents::argue:

I learned something today!

ElaineK
July 11th, 2011, 07:32 PM

I put inoperable in quotes, because this was exactly the word used on the sign posted on the door! :D
(Uhhhh, I'm the one who misspelled "lightning", however, the sign on the door was also misspelled; probably the reason for it sticking in my head that way!)

jethro
July 21st, 2011, 07:57 PM
I acquired another copy of the latest Swimmer magazine after the one mailed to me was inadvertently tossed in the trash. :agree:

couldbebetterfly
July 23rd, 2011, 05:56 PM
So far this month I have made it to the pool 4 times, swum a total of 11,925m and yet am still ahead of my GTD goal :cheerleader:

ElaineK
July 30th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Way to go, 'Fly! :applaud:

I just hit 40 miles for the month; the most I have ever completed in a one-month period. And, my shoulders feel great! :bliss:My GTD goal for the year was 275 (I hit 262 last year), however, I'm already at 221 miles. Even with my upcoming vacation, I should be able to surpass 300 miles for the year. :D

swimon90
August 5th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I am tapering for my August 13th meet. So today I wanted to put in 4,500 yards. I was interupted by something unexpected and had to leave the pool early. I was sad because I thought I only swam 3,800. Then I realized that I forgot to count my warm up. Def. a swim happy moment! :) :)

Jimbosback
August 17th, 2011, 06:00 PM
A woman swimming at my pool this afternoon told me my swimming was, "beautiful to watch."

Much needed ego boost as my arms were feeling like lead at the time. :)

ElaineK
September 25th, 2011, 07:28 AM
At yesterday's pentathlon meet, I went over 262 miles for "Go the Distance"; my total mileage for last year. I had set this year's goal at 275 miles, however, it looks like I will be going over 300. :bliss:
I also got a PB in the 100 IM and 50 Fly; a huge surprise, considering I had only been back in the water for two weeks, following my three weeks out of the water, while I was in Europe. I was also close in the free and back.

Biggest surprise: I placed 3rd overall for the women (all ages) in the sprint pentathlon; I was beaten out by a 40 year old and 24 year old. I age up to 50, in January, so I'll take it! :D

Allen Stark
September 25th, 2011, 01:55 PM
At yesterday's pentathlon meet, I went over 262 miles for "Go the Distance"; my total mileage for last year. I had set this year's goal at 275 miles, however, it looks like I will be going over 300. :bliss:
I also got a PB in the 100 IM and 50 Fly; a huge surprise, considering I had only been back in the water for two weeks, following my three weeks out of the water, while I was in Europe. I was also close in the free and back.

Biggest surprise: I placed 3rd overall for the women (all ages) in the sprint pentathlon; I was beaten out by a 40 year old and 24 year old. I age up to 50, in January, so I'll take it! :D

Great job.:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

Celestial
September 25th, 2011, 05:23 PM
My Go The Distance 2011 goal (http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/goals.php?e=7): 500.00 mi.
Congratulations! You are on pace for achieving your goal this year:
My goal pace: 367.12 miles required as of today to reach my goal by the end of the event
My actual current pace: 381.03 miles as of today

Amazing! Even after a few really short/crappy workouts I am on target!! Woo Hoo! Also this morning my husband made a comment about my waistline seeming thinner & that is a definite perk! Guess I"ll keep up the dry lands for now! :D

Celestial
September 25th, 2011, 05:26 PM
A woman swimming at my pool this afternoon told me my swimming was, "beautiful to watch."

Much needed ego boost as my arms were feeling like lead at the time. :)

:applaud::applaud::applaud: Congratulations!! I love it when people tell me that!!

ElaineK
September 25th, 2011, 06:20 PM
My Go The Distance 2011 goal (http://www.usms.org/myusms/flog/goals.php?e=7): 500.00 mi.
Congratulations! You are on pace for achieving your goal this year:
My goal pace: 367.12 miles required as of today to reach my goal by the end of the event
My actual current pace: 381.03 miles as of today

Amazing! Even after a few really short/crappy workouts I am on target!! Woo Hoo! Also this morning my husband made a comment about my waistline seeming thinner & that is a definite perk! Guess I"ll keep up the dry lands for now! :D

Way to go, Celeste! :applaud: You GO, Girl! :cheerleader:

ElaineK
September 25th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Great job.:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

Thanks, King Frog! Now the training starts back in the gym, using your tips, to get ready for 50, 100, and 200m breaststroke (SCM). And, I will be using your favorite breaststroke workouts in the pool! :agree:

Celestial
September 26th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Thanks Elaine! Looks like you've been putting in the distance too!

I age up to 50, in January, so I'll take it! :D

Ah ha! You'll be in MY age group!! :)

ElaineK
September 26th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks Elaine! Looks like you've been putting in the distance too!

Ah ha! You'll be in MY age group!! :)

:afraid: Ohhhh noooo! From the fire into the frying pan! There are SO many great swimmers in the 45-55 age groups. Hey, if I can ever just crack the top 25% in my breaststroke events, I'll be happy!

ElaineK
October 5th, 2011, 01:16 PM
I hit my GTD goal of 275 miles today. :bliss: (Last year, I swam 262 miles for the year.) So, I will definitely set my goal higher next year!

Allen Stark
October 5th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I hit my GTD goal of 275 miles today. :bliss: (Last year, I swam 262 miles for the year.) So, I will definitely set my goal higher next year!

Way to go,good job.:cheerleader::cheerleader::banana::bow::applau d:. You don't have to wait til next year,you can update your goal now on GTD.That way you can celebrate this accomplishment and then celebrate again in a couple of months.

ElaineK
October 5th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Way to go,good job.:cheerleader::cheerleader::banana::bow::applau d:. You don't have to wait til next year,you can update your goal now on GTD.That way you can celebrate this accomplishment and then celebrate again in a couple of months.

Thanks, King Frog! Although I hadn't updated my official GTD goal, I already planned on shooting for 350. I'm on pace for more, however, I have a very busy remainder of the year ahead of me.

Hey, K.F., my other swim happy: Aging up to 50, in January, buys me more time in the NQT's for Greensboro. Now, in addition to making it in the 50 breaststroke, I am very close to making it in the 100. And, the 50 free is a possibility, as well. As for the 200 breaststroke? :afraid:The extra time given me by aging up is still not enough; I'm 11seconds off from my PB! :badday: So, I'm changing my training focus and will do the 200 as my fun (I'm twisted...), extra event, along with the 100IM.

Allen Stark
October 5th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Thanks, King Frog! Although I hadn't updated my official GTD goal, I already planned on shooting for 350. I'm on pace for more, however, I have a very busy remainder of the year ahead of me.

Hey, K.F., my other swim happy: Aging up to 50, in January, buys me more time in the NQT's for Greensboro. Now, in addition to making it in the 50 breaststroke, I am very close to making it in the 100. And, the 50 free is a possibility, as well. As for the 200 breaststroke? :afraid:The extra time given me by aging up is still not enough; I'm 11seconds off from my PB! :badday: So, I'm changing my training focus and will do the 200 as my fun (I'm twisted...), extra event, along with the 100IM.

If you think you'll surpass 350,go for 365(one mile per day average.)

thewookiee
October 5th, 2011, 06:44 PM
[QUOTE=ElaineK;253065] ll. As for the 200 breaststroke? :afraid:The extra time given me by aging up is still not enough; I'm 11seconds off from my PB! :badday: So, I'm changing my training focus and will do the 200 [QUOTE]

With race pace training for the 200, you will be surprised at how quickly 11 seconds can drop between now and greensboro.

ElaineK
October 5th, 2011, 07:22 PM
[QUOTE=ElaineK;253065] ll. As for the 200 breaststroke? :afraid:The extra time given me by aging up is still not enough; I'm 11seconds off from my PB! :badday: So, I'm changing my training focus and will do the 200 [QUOTE]

With race pace training for the 200, you will be surprised at how quickly 11 seconds can drop between now and greensboro.

Well, I'll take any drop I can get! I haven't been able to get a PB in that event since one year ago.

thewookiee
October 5th, 2011, 07:56 PM
[quote=thewookiee;253096][QUOTE=ElaineK;253065] ll. As for the 200 breaststroke? :afraid:The extra time given me by aging up is still not enough; I'm 11seconds off from my PB! :badday: So, I'm changing my training focus and will do the 200

Well, I'll take any drop I can get! I haven't been able to get a PB in that event since one year ago.

Plateaus are where swimmers learn the most about themselves and their training.

If you don't think about how long its been since a PB and focus on the now, the times will drop.

robertsrobson
October 6th, 2011, 04:48 AM
There's not much for me that beats the feeling of swimming breastroke when you're right on it, technique, tempo, smooth but fast. I can still remember my first masters nationals (GB) hitting the first turn and as I came out thinking "nailed it" and just relaxing into the rest of the swim.

I'd hoped to go under 70 for 100m breastroke, and did 67.12, 1/100th off my pb from 19 years beforehand!

All of which relates to the talk of PBs and plateaus. I only expect to swim really fast once a year. If I do LC nationals maybe twice. But times just aren't that important to me most of the time in my best events - it's how I swim that I care about and I only care about being in the ballpark, time-wise (which, depending on how much training I'm doing etc, can be a few seconds either way over 100m).

KatieK
October 7th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Last night was the first time I've ever been pleasantly surprised by my time in a competition. I swam an open water 1500m in 22:47. A bazillion times faster than I would have thought possible. Almost nine minutes faster than I swam the same course two weeks ago.

I don't even think of people who swim that fast as being the same species as I am.

Trying to savor the moment...There aren't enough minutes left in that time to ever make another leap like that.

couldbebetterfly
October 7th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Last night was the first time I've ever been pleasantly surprised by my time in a competition. I swam an open water 1500m in 22:47. A bazillion times faster than I would have thought possible. Almost nine minutes faster than I swam the same course two weeks ago.

I don't even think of people who swim that fast as being the same species as I am.

Trying to savor the moment...There aren't enough minutes left in that time to ever make another leap like that.

:applaud: Do you ever swim it in pool competition? If so your SCM tme would be scary-fast :D

Today I hit the 250 mile mark :banana:

KatieK
October 8th, 2011, 10:42 AM
:applaud: Do you ever swim it in pool competition? If so your SCM tme would be scary-fast :D
No, but I'm starting to consider it now! I really couldn't swim freestyle until about 2 years ago. At the time, open water competitions seemed way less intimidating/embarrassing than pool competition. (Here's a post about that: http://www.watergirl.co/content/give-open-water-competition-try)

Today I hit the 250 mile mark :banana:
Nice! I see a mesh bag in your (distant) future. Maybe they'll send it in time for Christmas.

couldbebetterfly
October 8th, 2011, 04:41 PM
No, but I'm starting to consider it now! I really couldn't swim freestyle until about 2 years ago. At the time, open water competitions seemed way less intimidating/embarrassing than pool competition. (Here's a post about that: http://www.watergirl.co/content/give-open-water-competition-try)

Nice! I see a mesh bag in your (distant) future. Maybe they'll send it in time for Christmas.

You should try one. In my entire life I have done 1 SCM 1500, 1 LCM 1500 and 2 OW 1500s (out of 3 total OW swims!). Actually you might be better to try an LCM one first as there's less turns. I felt very dizzy after 59 flips! If you can do one at a low-key local meet and outdoors, you'll feel right at home. There'll likely be such a variety of times that you may well be amongst the fastest there. I went 22.14 LC this summer and was 3rd or 4th out of the 16 or so swimmers, most were in the 25-30 mins range. Go for it!

I do hope the mesh bag isn't too long coming - I could really use one, but won't hold my breath!

coffeegirl
October 9th, 2011, 12:11 AM
My recent swim happy moment was playing on the rope swing and going down the water slide after the swim meet this afternoon! :wiggle:

pmccoy
October 9th, 2011, 02:01 AM
I do hope the mesh bag isn't too long coming - I could really use one, but won't hold my breath!I made 250 miles on June 9th and just got my bag yesterday. I think orders are placed at the end of the month and then take 2 1/2 months. At least that's what I was told when I ordered my GTD swmsuit earlier this week and it fits the time period it took to get my bag to me. I'd forgotten about the bag so when I got a package from All-American Swim Supply yesterday, I thought, "Wow! That's a quick 2 1/2 month turn around." It is a pretty nice bag though.

geochuck
October 14th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Would you be happy swimming in this little creek? http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=235148506541297#!/video/video.php?v=235148506541297

ElaineK
October 14th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Would you be happy swimming in this little creek? http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=235148506541297#!/video/video.php?v=235148506541297

:afraid: :badday:

geochuck
October 14th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I am heading to that town on November 14th, I hope the mess is cleaned up.

TRYM_Swimmer
October 16th, 2011, 08:30 PM
George, this is swim HAPPY!

Yesterday morning, with only two weeks until the dreaded bubble goes up, 57 degree air, 80 degree water, no wind, priceless!

ElaineK
October 31st, 2011, 04:42 PM
I just received my Go the Distance mesh swim bag today. :banana: My goal for the year was initially set at 275 miles, because I swam 262 miles last year and thought it would be a reasonable goal for 2011. I decided to increase my goal to 350 miles, however, after I hit 275. I am now at 305 miles for the year and had my second best month of the year. :D

Thanks USMS for the Go the Distance program. It keeps me motivated!

jaadams1
October 31st, 2011, 07:25 PM
I just received my Go the Distance mesh swim bag today. :banana: My goal for the year was initially set at 275 miles, because I swam 262 miles last year and thought it would be a reasonable goal for 2011. I decided to increase my goal to 350 miles, however, after I hit 275. I am now at 305 miles for the year and had my second best month of the year. :D

Thanks USMS for the Go the Distance program. It keeps me motivated!

I'm at 400+ miles...haven't got a mesh bag yet. Hmmmmmm...favoritism to the east coasters??? :D

ElaineK
October 31st, 2011, 08:48 PM
I'm at 400+ miles...haven't got a mesh bag yet. Hmmmmmm...favoritism to the east coasters??? :D

:bighug: Awww, James, I'm sure you will receive it soon. Sorry, buddy!

swimmerb212
October 31st, 2011, 09:10 PM
My happy moment of today was our Halloween workout. Thanks so much to Ahelee Sue Osborn for posting this back in 2008:

U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Spooky Halloween Workout Suggestions

I printed it out on "spooky" green and orange paper and gave it out to all 6 lanes at FISH practice this morning. Highlights included watching the other lane do wicked zombie impressions while kicking with their arms out of the water, and scaring the hell out of our coach by not telling him that people would be doing ghost and ghoul impressions on the last set! (And personally, when I made a 50 on one breath for the first time ever!)

I love swimming hard, and I love swimming fun. Can't wait for the next holiday!

thewookiee
November 1st, 2011, 07:45 AM

James, the post office has sent out several mail carriers with your mesh bag. They have tried to follow your directions, but so far not a single one has returned home.

"Dear Postal Worker, please drive 30 miles into the middle of nowhere. Once you are there, take the left fork. If ya take the right fork, you will hit Allen Stark's house.
After you have gone another 30 miles, you will come to a river. Depending on the amount of rainfall(could be a lot around here) you might be able to wade across to the other side. If not, there is a wooden ferry boat about 10 miles downstream.
Once ya are on the otherside, proceed 600 feet straight-up the mountain. At the top of the mountain, go 15 miles due north. You will find a big redwood with moss growing on it. At this tree, proceed west for 10 miles. You will find two caves. The first cave is the bear cave, don't go in there. The second cave is my home. Just drop the package off at the entrance but don't make too much noise, otherwise you might wake my neighbors. I will turn off the trespasser warning system, if you will send up a smoke signal once you reach the redwood tree with the moss-James Adams"

robertsrobson
November 1st, 2011, 07:52 AM
I had a swim happy moment at the weekend - doing 100 IM and coming to the end of the backstroke leg thinking "I'm still ahead. Whoooo!".

ElaineK
November 1st, 2011, 01:25 PM
James, the post office has sent out several mail carriers with your mesh bag. They have tried to follow your directions, but so far not a single one has returned home.

"Dear Postal Worker, please drive 30 miles into the middle of nowhere. Once you are there, take the left fork. If ya take the right fork, you will hit Allen Stark's house.
After you have gone another 30 miles, you will come to a river. Depending on the amount of rainfall(could be a lot around here) you might be able to wade across to the other side. If not, there is a wooden ferry boat about 10 miles downstream.
Once ya are on the otherside, proceed 600 feet straight-up the mountain. At the top of the mountain, go 15 miles due north. You will find a big redwood with moss growing on it. At this tree, proceed west for 10 miles. You will find two caves. The first cave is the bear cave, don't go in there. The second cave is my home. Just drop the package off at the entrance but don't make too much noise, otherwise you might wake my neighbors. I will turn off the trespasser warning system, if you will send up a smoke signal once you reach the redwood tree with the moss-James Adams"

:lmao: James, surely, this explains it! :D Best wishes (and lots of luck) in receiving your mesh bag. (Evidently, the P.O. had a much easier time finding me in the bear-less old folks community.)

Allen, did you get your mesh bag???

ElaineK
November 1st, 2011, 01:27 PM
I had a swim happy moment at the weekend - doing 100 IM and coming to the end of the backstroke leg thinking "I'm still ahead. Whoooo!".

... And, knowing your best stroke was just ahead! You rocked!!

Celestial
November 1st, 2011, 05:51 PM
I made 250 miles on June 9th and just got my bag yesterday. I think orders are placed at the end of the month and then take 2 1/2 months. At least that's what I was told when I ordered my GTD swmsuit earlier this week and it fits the time period it took to get my bag to me. I'd forgotten about the bag so when I got a package from All-American Swim Supply yesterday, I thought, "Wow! That's a quick 2 1/2 month turn around." It is a pretty nice bag though.

Wow! Didn't even realize there was a suit at the end of the year until I read your post - went back & checked, and yup! a new suit in sight! I don't care if it IS 3 months after I swim the 500 miles or whatever, a new suit is a new suit! And my new mesh bag arrived just in time, my old one was developing holes, and looky there - a new "toy" came in the mail!! Not bad, considering there isn't even an entry fee for the GTD!!

jaadams1
November 1st, 2011, 07:36 PM

That is just about right...except you need to add an extra zero to the end of all those numbers. I'm wayyyyy outta the way from mankind. My neighbor does kind of resemble a bear too.:afraid:

That Guy
November 1st, 2011, 07:43 PM
That is just about right...except you need to add an extra zero to the end of all those numbers. I'm wayyyyy outta the way from mankind. My neighbor does kind of resemble a bear too.:afraid:

You forgot the part where you haven't seen your mailman lately and the bear is looking particularly well-fed

Allen Stark
November 2nd, 2011, 02:03 PM
My wife got her mesh bag and the postal worker had practically no bite marks,but she was wearing a bear claw necklace.Maybe James can get his mail now.I haven't earned my bag yet.

couldbebetterfly
November 2nd, 2011, 09:45 PM
My 800 split has made the provisional LCM TT listing.....just :banana:
Now nobody go and find a faster time in my age group

Wait - nevermind it'll be a long search, there's only about 25 of us in the whole country that compete :bolt:

swimmieAvsFan
November 4th, 2011, 01:33 PM

I doubt it. I'm ahead of Elaine by a few miles, haven't gotten my bag yet, and I'm on the east coast, so maybe favoritism to Dixie Zone folks? ;)

Or maybe *that* is the package my idiot apartment complex folks lost last week. Grrr if it is, because my 11 year old mesh bag is most definitely on its last legs right now...

thewookiee
November 4th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Happy moment came upon hearing that Muppet and Blue Muppet tied the knot. Two wonderful people that I am honored to call "friends"

Congratulations to Jeff Grover and Mollie Strahota ;-)

That Guy
November 4th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Happy moment came upon hearing that Muppet and Blue Muppet tied the knot. Two wonderful people that I am honored to call "friends"

Congratulations to Jeff Grover and Mollie Strahota ;-)

Congratulations! I met the two of you separately at the Terrapin Cup so I had no idea that you were a couple. :applaud:

(In fact, until now all the references on this forum to "Blue Muppet" were lost on me. I never mentioned this before because posting the list of all the things that I don't understand would crash the server :anim_coffee:)

jaadams1
November 5th, 2011, 06:47 PM
You forgot the part where you haven't seen your mailman lately and the bear is looking particularly well-fed

The mailman made it finally! I got my mesh bag in the mail. That mailman was one tough SOB to make it past the bear!

geochuck
November 6th, 2011, 09:02 AM
The USPS is the best. Don't blame them for late items. The sender can be at fault.

couldbebetterfly
November 6th, 2011, 09:11 PM
The mailman made it finally! I got my mesh bag in the mail. That mailman was one tough SOB to make it past the bear!

Yay! so how long was the wait? I'm hoping mine gets here by Christmas.

As for my "swim happy" - I reached my GTD goal for the year this week, so revised it up by about 40 miles :doh:

ElaineK
November 7th, 2011, 02:51 PM
My Swim Happy for yesterday: PB in my 100 SCM breaststroke race (converting SCM to SCY). One more second and I'll make NQT's for Spring Nationals.

That Guy
November 7th, 2011, 03:26 PM
My Swim Happy for yesterday: PB in my 100 SCM breaststroke race (converting SCM to SCY). One more second and I'll make NQT's for Spring Nationals.

Great job! :cheerleader:

Allen Stark
November 7th, 2011, 04:31 PM
That Guy was pretty impressive at the NW SCM Zone meet over the weekend so he may want to post a Swim Happy,but I have my own from that meet.
400 Mixed Medley Relay of Valerie Jenkins,me,Dennis Baker,and Karen Andrus-Hughes set a new WR in the 200-239 age group going 4:32.My split was 1:14.99 which was about a second faster than I expected:bliss:.
Dennis broke the NR for the 200 Fly and just missed the WR swimming the event literally 5 min. after the relay.

That Guy
November 7th, 2011, 05:00 PM
That Guy was pretty impressive at the NW SCM Zone meet over the weekend so he may want to post a Swim Happy,but I have my own from that meet.
400 Mixed Medley Relay of Valerie Jenkins,me,Dennis Baker,and Karen Andrus-Hughes set a new WR in the 200-239 age group going 4:32.My split was 1:14.99 which was about a second faster than I expected:bliss:.
Dennis broke the NR for the 200 Fly and just missed the WR swimming the event literally 5 min. after the relay.

Thanks Allen! Congrats again on your relay record!

ElaineK
November 7th, 2011, 10:19 PM

:cheerleader:CONGRATULATIONS, KING FROG! :thewave:

ElaineK
November 7th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Great job! :cheerleader:

Thanks, That Guy! It sounds like you had a great meet; congratulations! :banana:

That Guy
November 7th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Thanks, That Guy! It sounds like you had a great meet; congratulations! :banana:

Thanks Elaine!

ElaineK
November 11th, 2011, 03:21 AM
What started as a :badday: (tonight's bout of insomnia) turned into a :bliss:when I decided to get up and watch swim videos on the computer. I checked my e-mail and found out that three of the LCM relays I was in made Top Ten rankings, including one that is ranked #3! And, that was the one where the clock kept going for about 20 seconds after our last swimmer came in and had to be manually stopped. (The back-up timers must have been :bed: behind the blocks, as well, because none of them got the correct time, either. :bouncing:)

ElaineK
November 11th, 2011, 01:13 PM
...And, to add to the above Swim Happy, I just learned this in an e-mail:
You won the 200 Breaststroke and were also part of the Mixed 200 age 200 Medley relay with Jennifer, Zeigler and Beatty that won. Therefore you earned State Champion status/honors in SCM to go along with the SCY and LCM State Champion Crowns you won at the St pats and UGA meets by sweeping all 3 breaststroke events in your age group.

Me? State Champion?? :lmao: :rofl: That just shows how weak our state is in breaststroke, this year, in the W45-49 age group! But, I'll take it anyway! :ohyeah:

thewookiee
November 11th, 2011, 01:23 PM
...Me? State Champion?? :lmao: :rofl: That just shows how weak our state is in breaststroke, this year, in the W45-49 age group! But, I'll take it anyway! :ohyeah:
[/COLOR]

Congrats! You won the state championships because you swam the events. You can't control what others in your age group do or don't do. You won. Enough said.

ElaineK
November 11th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Congrats! You won the state championships because you swam the events. You can't control what others in your age group do or don't do. You won. Enough said.

Thanks, Wookiee! :)

spell_me
November 12th, 2011, 07:16 AM
That's right. YOU did it, no one else did. What separates you from other people in your state and age group is that you had the gumption to show up and swim, and that's champion-like behavior at any level.

Congratulations, Elainiak!

Allen Stark
November 12th, 2011, 10:52 AM
...And, to add to the above Swim Happy, I just learned this in an e-mail:
You won the 200 Breaststroke and were also part of the Mixed 200 age 200 Medley relay with Jennifer, Zeigler and Beatty that won. Therefore you earned State Champion status/honors in SCM to go along with the SCY and LCM State Champion Crowns you won at the St pats and UGA meets by sweeping all 3 breaststroke events in your age group.

Me? State Champion?? :lmao: :rofl: That just shows how weak our state is in breaststroke, this year, in the W45-49 age group! But, I'll take it anyway! :ohyeah:

You didn't just fall into it.You have been working hard in the pool ,with weights , and on technique.You earned it.:bliss::banana::bouncing::cheerleader::bow:

ElaineK
November 12th, 2011, 11:29 AM
That's right. YOU did it, no one else did. What separates you from other people in your state and age group is that you had the gumption to show up and swim, and that's champion-like behavior at any level.

Congratulations, Elainiak!

Thanks, Spell! Very cool of you to say and I appreciate it! :)

ElaineK
November 12th, 2011, 11:33 AM
You didn't just fall into it.You have been working hard in the pool ,with weights , and on technique.You earned it.:bliss::banana::bouncing::cheerleader::bow:

What, no :party2: :thewave: :ohyeah:???

Seriously, K.F., thanks!

nkfrench
December 5th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Yesterday I visited the gym and found that they no longer offer Noodle Class! O Frabjous Day!!

I've avoided evening swims after Noodle Class since the participants linger chatting in the lanes, pool water was cloudy and the smell of shampoo/cologne was overwhelming. The pool was closed for lap swimmers during the class -- a very desirable timeslot -- right when I would normally be riding my bicycle and would want a foul weather alternate activity.

The last time I was at the gym during noodle class, there were about 50 participants who did not appear to be capable of more strenuous activity. Elderly, disabled/rehabbing injury, out of shape/overweight. I don't want to disrespect them, they were getting some benefit from the class. I got the impression that participation dwindled, so I wonder if the class will be offered again in the New Year's Resolution rush.

bzaks1424
December 5th, 2011, 10:49 PM
While my times are nothing really to write home about, I can now proudly say that as of last weekend: I'm swimming the same/better times in all four strokes in meters as I was in yards a year ago. The 3 hour meet allowed me to get in 5 individual events (50 fly, 200 back, 200 free, 200 IM, and 100 IM) as well as 2 relays (50 back & 50 free). Of those 7 events I swam 4 PRs including my 8 second-in-one-month drop PR in the 200 IM.

So while this may look like gloating (it totally is) - I wasn't really sure where else to post my little source of pride. :)

geochuck
December 5th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Great news but please tell us some of your swim times.

While my times are nothing really to write home about, I can now proudly say that as of last weekend: I'm swimming the same/better times in all four strokes in meters as I was in yards a year ago. The 3 hour meet allowed me to get in 5 individual events (50 fly, 200 back, 200 free, 200 IM, and 100 IM) as well as 2 relays (50 back & 50 free). Of those 7 events I swam 4 PRs including my 8 second-in-one-month drop PR in the 200 IM.

So while this may look like gloating (it totally is) - I wasn't really sure where else to post my little source of pride. :)

bzaks1424
December 5th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Great news but please tell us some of your swim times.

50m Fly (No PR):
First Yards Swim in 2011: (2011-01-23) 41.65
Last Meters Swim in 2011: (2011-12-03) 42.x
200m Back:
First Yards Swim in 2011: (2011-03-06) 3:06.48
Last Meters Swim in 2011: (2011-12-03) 3:20.09 # I guess this one isn't really that close...
200m Free:
First Yards Swim in 2011: (2011-01-09) 2:50.63
Last Meters Swim in 2011: (2011-12-03) 2:55.76
200m IM:
First Yards Swim in 2011: (2011-01-15) 3:19.81
Last Meters Swim in 2011: (2011-12-03) 3:24.1x
100m IM:
First Yards Swim in 2011: (2011-01-09) 1:34.49
Last Meters Swim in 2011: (2011-12-03) 1:38.50

ElaineK
December 6th, 2011, 04:23 PM

Gloat on, Michael, gloat on! :applaud: Way to go!! :banana: You know I'm proud of you, buddy!!! :cheerleader:

CONGRATULATIONS! :thewave:

Fenella
December 8th, 2011, 04:20 AM
Inviting a very fit 20 something / tennis and badminton player/ novice triathlete to one of our 2 hour masters sessions

who went home afterwards and slept for 11 hours:snore:

on a saturday night .....:D

ElaineK
December 9th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Today, I surpassed my (third) revised GTD goal and went over 350 miles. Since my total miles in 2010 were 262, I set a goal for 275 miles for this year. After making that, I revised it to 300 miles. Well, at that point, King Frog encouraged me to revise it, again, to 350 miles. And, I went over it with my 3,000 yard sprint workout, today. :bliss:

Another Swim Happy: My 25yd backstroke sprint is (finally) faster than my breaststroke. :blush: At this point, my fly :cane:, backstroke :cane:, and breaststroke are all at :20.

smontanaro
December 14th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I haven't had much to swim happy about the past year or two. I've been struggling to heal/adapt to/work around a couple shoulder issues. I didn't pass the 50-mile GTD milestone until August.

Anyway, after taking off essentially April through mid-August, I got back in the pool at the local YMCA, just to do what I could. Lots of kicking, some drills, very little swimming or pulling. I concluded I should be able to make the 100-mile GTD goal by the end of the year. It will be close.

Yesterday I swam a reasonable set (8x50, 4x75, 2x100, 1x200), all backstroke. (At the moment, backstroke is the stroke which isn't causing problems.) Today my shoulders feel good.

That's my "swim happy" story and I'm stickin' to it. :D

Skip

jaadams1
December 16th, 2011, 12:11 AM
My swim happy: I actually negative split a couple events last weekend at the Bend, Oregon SCM meet!! :banana: The key was taking it out easy, and trying to descend 50s as I went. Actually pretty easy on the body to do it this way. Not sure why I don't do this more often...maybe the pain is fun?? :D

Men 30-34 200 SC Meter Backstroke
================================================== =============================
Name Age Team Seed Finals
================================================== =============================
1 Adams, James A 34 Hydropower Maste-35 2:29.60 2:37.06
39.60 1:19.97 (40.37) 1:59.78 (39.81) 2:37.06 (37.28)

Men 30-34 200 SC Meter Breaststroke
Name Age Team Seed Finals
1 Adams, James A 34 Hydropower Maste-35 2:51.55 2:50.31
40.51 1:25.47 (44.96) 2:08.82 (43.35) 2:50.31 (41.49)

While the splits may look good like this, I didn't feel like I was actually "racing". This isn't my style. I guess I like to feel the burn.

ElaineK
May 18th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Last June, my swim happy was swimming breaststroke on a 400m women's medley relay (200-239) that broke a Georgia state record, even though the official time was 18 seconds slower than we actually swam (long story). I was pretty jazzed about that until I learned our relay made USMS Top Ten. :ohyeah: Well, I recently heard our relay team made FINA World Rankings Top Ten, coming in at #9! (And, even if our official time would have been accurate, we still would have been ranked 9th.) :bliss:

Now, if I could just make NQT's in my 100yd breaststroke to go along with my 50yd breaststroke, I would really be swim happy! :agree: But, I am very swim happy about our relay! :D

That Guy
May 18th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Last June, my swim happy was swimming breaststroke on a 400m women's medley relay (200-239) that broke a Georgia state record, even though the official time was 18 seconds slower than we actually swam (long story). I was pretty jazzed about that until I learned our relay made USMS Top Ten. :ohyeah: Well, I recently heard our relay team made FINA World Rankings Top Ten, coming in at #9! (And, even if our official time would have been accurate, we still would have been ranked 9th.) :bliss:

Now, if I could just make NQT's in my 100yd breaststroke to go along with my 50yd breaststroke, I would really be swim happy! :agree: But, I am very swim happy about our relay! :D
Great job! One of these years I will make the FINA rankings...

ElaineK
May 18th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Great job! One of these years I will make the FINA rankings...

Thanks, That Guy!

So, what's wrong with this picture? You are a Top Ten swimmer and I am far from that! In breaststroke, I only rank in the top third or so in my best event. But, I end up in the FINA Top Ten and you don't. :shakeshead: You SO deserve to be there!

Here is the way I see it: I am fortunate to swim on a large team (Georgia Masters Killer Whales) with a lot of good swimmers. And, we are fortunate to have Donna Hooe and Walter Leen who do a great job putting relays together. They look at records ahead of time and base their strategy around what records are up for grabs. In this case, Walter organized the relays and gave as many swimmers as possible the opportunity to break records. I have him to thank for giving me the opportunity. And, I have Jennifer Almand to thank for swimming the freestyle leg, rather than breaststroke, her best stroke (as well as mine). She is way faster than I am in breaststroke, but we needed her to anchor our relay. And, Cathy Jones swam the fly leg immediately after her 200 backstroke race. I was at the right place at the right time and the opportunity fell in my lap.

No offense to Rob Copeland ( :bighug: ), but the best move I have made as a USMS swimmer was switching from his small team to the Killer Whales, so I could swim relays. It has been a blast; especially swimming on two medal winning teams at Auburn Nationals! :bliss:

ElaineK
May 18th, 2012, 03:57 PM
So, Forumites, if you were in my position, would you wear your Top Ten Patches on your swim parka? I haven't received mine yet, but it was suggested to me by a non-swimmer. I'm not sure if I would be :blush: to do so or :D. What do you think? (No, I am not going to do a poll; I'll just keep it here on this thread...)

Your answer is?
1. :shakeshead:
2. :afraid:
3. :agree:
4.:applaud:
5.:banana:

Please feel free to embellish with any other more appropriate Smilies. And, yes, Geek, you are invited to do so, as well. ;)

smontanaro
May 18th, 2012, 03:57 PM
So, what's wrong with this picture? You are a Top Ten swimmer and I am far from that! In breaststroke, I only rank in the top third or so in my best event.

I'll top that, Elaine. I am probably in the bottom third in my best event. I had a single top ten one year (or maybe it was a USMS record for a year) by the good graces of the person who put together my LMSCs postal relays that year. I think some west coasters or something took the record down the following year.

It definitely helps to be on a relay with three other very fast swimmers. :D

S

ElaineK
May 18th, 2012, 04:24 PM
I'll top that, Elaine. I am probably in the bottom third in my best event. I had a single top ten one year (or maybe it was a USMS record for a year) by the good graces of the person who put together my LMSCs postal relays that year. I think some west coasters or something took the record down the following year.

It definitely helps to be on a relay with three other very fast swimmers. :D

S

Congratulations! That must have been a swim happy moment for you!

I don't know about you or anybody else, but I really enjoy the team aspects of swimming on a relay. At Nationals, I always lead my relay team in a :cheerleader:. Yeah, I know; I'm a dork! But, it gets the team pumped up and we always have a good time.

The best part about swimming relays has been how understanding and supportive my teammates have been. At first, when I was a newbie, I would preface my swim to those who didn't know me by saying I was new at swimming relays, I wasn't very fast, etc. And, I still catch myself saying things to my relay teammates when I feel I am the slow leg of the relay. But, every time, I have received nothing but kind and supportive comments back- and, lots of encouragement and :cheerleader:. And, I do the same when the situation is reversed. In the end, it always ends up being a lot of fun and I have made some nice friends out of those relays!

For those of you who compete and have the opportunity to swim relays, I encourage you to give it a try if you haven't done so already. The timing of relays may interfere with your individual events, but, for me, it has always been worth it. And, if anything, it has helped my individual races, because I am so pumped up, rather than being worn out!

Allen Stark
May 18th, 2012, 06:37 PM
I hear people say all the time how they are the slow one on the relay and hold there teammates back. It takes 4 to swim a relay,without you there is no swim.If you are the "slow" member of a relay you are just as important as the "fast" member.

ElaineK
May 18th, 2012, 08:16 PM
I hear people say all the time how they are the slow one on the relay and hold there teammates back. It takes 4 to swim a relay,without you there is no swim.If you are the "slow" member of a relay you are just as important as the "fast" member.

That is definitely a valid point; one I understand logically. But, I still feel that way at times, when I am feeling a bit insecure around great swimmers. In the case of 2011 Spring Nationals, there were only eight of us from GAJA that attended; only two of us female. So, even though I was much slower than the other three on our mixed relays (the two guys being speedy Mark and Dan Beatty), I knew they needed me just to swim those relays. They were super supportive and encouraging then and have been so ever since!

One thing I have found in USMS for sure:
Swimmers are a great bunch of really nice people! :applaud:

jamee88
May 21st, 2012, 01:09 AM
I dont do such long laps or anythng but i sometimes almost believe maybe i was a fish in my previous life! i love water! and im more into underwater swimming then on the surface.....like i said....a fish:) great to be on this forum with people of mutual interest:)

dsyphers
May 21st, 2012, 05:34 PM
My swim happy is a little belated. I had a reasonably good 800 SCM at the New England Championships in December. I watched the rankings, and somewhere along the line saw I was bumped to 11th. Fast forward, and while just checking out teammates in the top ten, I saw I was actually tenth for the 800 SCM in 2011! (I have no idea what happened to bring me down into the top ten group!). Granted it's easier to get top ten in SCM, but it's my first on my swimming comeback after a 25 year layoff. I'd like to thank everybody who is really faster than me and doesn't have access to a 25 meter pool!

My real swim happy is that my first year I set my sights on breaking the top 100, and slowly got down to where I thought I might break the top thirty in a couple of events. I am very happy with how the comeback has gone, and stunned to find I have more than a couple swims in the top twenty.

ElaineK
May 21st, 2012, 07:13 PM
My real swim happy is that my first year I set my sights on breaking the top 100, and slowly got down to where I thought I might break the top thirty in a couple of events. I am very happy with how the comeback has gone, and stunned to find I have more than a couple swims in the top twenty.

:applaud: Congratulations! You should be happy; that's a terrific comeback! Way to go! :cheerleader:

ElaineK
May 26th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I'm back with another ( :rolleyes: ) swim happy; a 2-for-1! I attempted my first 100 fly with no pauses at the walls and my first 400 IM, at the same time. I only swam the IM in 7:24 (from a pushoff), but I did it, making the Motivational Times Chart by 11 seconds! :bliss:

It was my 6th day in a row, so it was supposed to be a long axis/recovery day for me and my recovering adductor muscle. I hadn't planned on swimming any breaststroke kick, so I swam my breaststroke slowly with only 50% effort on the kick. And, I took out my fly very slow, just to make sure I would make it without stopping at the walls. I must have paced everything too slow before the freestyle leg, because I never felt a burn and I actually felt good at the end; an indication that I had too much left in the tank. BUT, I did it and I now have a starting point for future goals.

My husband has challenged me to toss aside the 50 free or 100 IM as my 4th event at Nationals, in favor of something more challenging and an event that would give me more bang for the buck. Swimshark suggested back in 2010 that I try the 400 IM, but I couldn't swim 100 fly then. Now that I can, this sprinter is going to hop over to the "Animal Lane" from time to time and give this event a try!:ohyeah:

Allen Stark
May 26th, 2012, 02:39 PM
W
I'm back with another ( :rolleyes: ) swim happy; a 2-for-1! I attempted my first 100 fly with no pauses at the walls and my first 400 IM, at the same time. I only swam the IM in 7:24 (from a pushoff), but I did it, making the Motivational Times Chart by 11 seconds! :bliss:

It was my 6th day in a row, so it was supposed to be a long axis/recovery day for me and my recovering adductor muscle. I hadn't planned on swimming any breaststroke kick, so I swam my breaststroke slowly with only 50% effort on the kick. And, I took out my fly very slow, just to make sure I would make it without stopping at the walls. I must have paced everything too slow before the freestyle leg, because I never felt a burn and I actually felt good at the end; an indication that I had too much left in the tank. BUT, I did it and I now have a starting point for future goals.

My husband has challenged me to toss aside the 50 free or 100 IM as my 4th event at Nationals, in favor of something more challenging and an event that would give me more bang for the buck. Swimshark suggested back in 2010 that I try the 400 IM, but I couldn't swim 100 fly then. Now that I can, this sprinter is going to hop over to the "Animal Lane" from time to time and give this event a try!:ohyeah:

Woohoo :banana: .When your leg is OK work on your butterfrog and make the 200 fly your 4th event!

ElaineK
May 26th, 2012, 05:49 PM
W

Woohoo :banana: .When your leg is OK work on your butterfrog and make the 200 fly your 4th event!

That's what got me in trouble in the first place! :worms: My coach was teaching me butterfrog and I ended up putting in too much repetitive frog time. Between my breaststroke, breaststroke kick drills, and butterfrog, my muscles got too fatigued, I believe.

The silver lining of this repetitive injury is the yardage I have been able to put in, instead, doing breaststroke pull with dolphin kick. It doesn't seem to bother the muscles I strained and it has allowed me to continue working on my pull and strengthen my dolphin kick. Today, after my 400IM, I did some 200's with a rest interval of :20, and mixed in 2-200's of that drill with no resulting fatigue problems at all.

So, my other future goal is to be able to swim a legal 200 butterFLY, rather than butterFROG. :agree:

Somehow, in this twisted mind of mine, I seem to think that if I can swim an event more challenging and painful than 200 breaststroke, it will make the 200 breaststroke seem easy in comparison! :banana: There is a part of me that wants to take a page out of Fort's book and chuck it all for 50's and perhaps one or two 100's. But, there is another side of me that loves, loves, LOVES that feeling of satisfaction I get after I swim the 200 breaststroke. :ohyeah: Even though it's my worst event (even my 50 free, 100 IM, 100 free and 50 back rank higher in the standings, in comparison), I just keep wanting to go back to it. And, now, I am crazy enough to try the 400 IM, and, hopefully, the 200 fly. :afraid:

K.F., you're a psychiatrist. Am I crazy or what? :rolleyes:

That Guy
May 26th, 2012, 08:35 PM
And, now, I am crazy enough to try the 400 IM, and, hopefully, the 200 fly. :afraid:

K.F., you're a psychiatrist. Am I crazy or what? :rolleyes: Don't worry, there's plenty of room here in our nuthouse. You'll like it, we play Pin The Tail On The Noodler every Thursday night :banana:

ElaineK
May 26th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Don't worry, there's plenty of room here in our nuthouse. You'll like it, we play Pin The Tail On The Noodler every Thursday night :banana:

:applaud: Count me in!!! :bliss:

Allen Stark
May 26th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Am I crazy or what? :rolleyes:

Definitely "or what".

ElaineK
May 26th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Definitely "or what".

:ohyeah:

jaadams1
May 26th, 2012, 10:07 PM
:ohyeah:

Yep...verified. :)

Swimosaur
May 26th, 2012, 10:13 PM
So, my other future goal is to be able to swim a legal 200 butterFLY ...

Awesome!!!

I want to share a story. A couple of years ago, when I started swimming with the Knoxville team, I met Bill Lauer, who is now 77 years old (and won 4 events at Greensboro). At 77, Bill is still one of those tough guys who swims the 4 IM and 2 fly. He's also a very great gentleman and I'm honored to know him.

So when I met him, I was like, what? This dude is 25 years older than me and he can swim the 2 fly, and I can't? Daaaaammmmnnnnn ..... that's a challenge. It took me a year to do the 4 IM, and another to do the 2 fly, but now I can do them. I swam the 4 IM at Greensboro, and will do the 2 fly at nats ... someday. Thanks, Bill!!!

You can do it too!

jaadams1
May 27th, 2012, 12:33 AM
...and the 200 Fly is better than any length of breaststroke too. :bolt:

ElaineK
May 27th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Yep...verified. :)

Why, thank you, James! If that one doesn't describe me accurately, this one does: :bliss:

Either way works for me! :agree:

ElaineK
May 27th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Awesome!!!

I want to share a story. A couple of years ago, when I started swimming with the Knoxville team, I met Bill Lauer, who is now 77 years old (and won 4 events at Greensboro). At 77, Bill is still one of those tough guys who swims the 4 IM and 2 fly. He's also a very great gentleman and I'm honored to know him.

So when I met him, I was like, what? This dude is 25 years older than me and he can swim the 2 fly, and I can't? Daaaaammmmnnnnn ..... that's a challenge. It took me a year to do the 4 IM, and another to do the 2 fly, but now I can do them. I swam the 4 IM at Greensboro, and will do the 2 fly at nats ... someday. Thanks, Bill!!!

You can do it too!

Great story, Swimosaur! You did a great job swimming the 400 IM at Greensboro! You had an awesome meet; I was inspired by your time drops!

Hey, what about James' friend who swims the mile each day- fly?! She is in her late 60's and had cancer! James, did I get the facts right on that? She is amazing, so, I figure, if she can do it, I can work up to the 200 fly. I at least know I can do the 400 IM!

Thanks for your encouragment! I at least want to swim the 400m IM at Nationals, in Mission Viejo, next year. I was a So. Cal. gal (until 2004), so I will be going home for that Nationals. I'll have to do it up right on my former home turf! :chug:

ElaineK
May 27th, 2012, 10:14 AM
...and the 200 Fly is better than any length of breaststroke too. :bolt:

I'll let you know, when I get there. But, when I do, don't count on me swimming the 200 breaststroke, 200 fly, AND 400 IM in the same meet! :afraid: Hmmm, I wonder if I would be able to swim them all in a two day meet... I could swim them in the three days at Nationals! :D

Swimosaur
May 27th, 2012, 12:30 PM
... swimming the 200 breaststroke, 200 fly, AND 400 IM in the same meet! :afraid:

This has been on my radar screen for a couple of years: The annual February SCY meet at Auburn offers the 1650 free, 200 fly, and 400 IM on the same day. Since this is my last year in this age group, I figure why not? All the brute squad events on the same day, why not? It's a good excuse to do lots of fun aerobic sets :)

ElaineK
May 27th, 2012, 01:00 PM
This has been on my radar screen for a couple of years: The annual February SCY meet at Auburn offers the 1650 free, 200 fly, and 400 IM on the same day. Since this is my last year in this age group, I figure why not? All the brute squad events on the same day, why not? It's a good excuse to do lots of fun aerobic sets :)

Gooooo Swimosaur! :cheerleader: I'll be cheering you on every step of the way!

Allen Stark
May 27th, 2012, 04:58 PM

This isn't exactly "Swim Happy" but it is on topic.We have an annual Animal Meet with the 400 IM ,200 Fly,and 1000 free as one combination and a few years ago I thought "what the heck" and entered.The 400 IM was a typical 400 IM for me,except a little slower as I knew I had the other 2 events.I swam the 200 fly about 15 min later.I went out slow and surprised myself at how easy it felt.The time wasn't fast,but I was swimming to finish and felt stronger as I went on.I figured the 1000 would be a piece of cake after the 200 fly as I figured I'd just swim it like a warm up but push the at the end.Imagine my surprise at 100 yards when I found it difficult to lift my arms out of the water,longest 1000 I've ever swum :cane:.

ElaineK
May 27th, 2012, 07:04 PM
This isn't exactly "Swim Happy" but it is on topic.We have an annual Animal Meet with the 400 IM ,200 Fly,and 1000 free as one combination and a few years ago I thought "what the heck" and entered.The 400 IM was a typical 400 IM for me,except a little slower as I knew I had the other 2 events.I swam the 200 fly about 15 min later.I went out slow and surprised myself at how easy it felt.The time wasn't fast,but I was swimming to finish and felt stronger as I went on.I figured the 1000 would be a piece of cake after the 200 fly as I figured I'd just swim it like a warm up but push the at the end.Imagine my surprise at 100 yards when I found it difficult to lift my arms out of the water,longest 1000 I've ever swum :cane:.

You really were a frog that day, since a frog is an (amphibian) animal! :banana: Congratulations on completing that animal challenge!

As for staying on topic, have you ever known us Forumites to stay on topic on these threads? :worms: :rolleyes:

Queen
May 28th, 2012, 09:55 AM
When I was in Mexico a couple of weeks ago, I got to do a swim clinic with Diana Nyad! She worked with each of us on our strokes and we all helped critique each other. When it was my turn I was told "you have an EXCELLENT stroke, VERY good!".

Made me feel like a million bucks.:bliss:

geochuck
May 28th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Diana an old friend from the past, she knows her stuff. She started swimming marathon races just as I was ending my racing days.

When I was in Mexico a couple of weeks ago, I got to do a swim clinic with Diana Nyad! She worked with each of us on our strokes and we all helped critique each other. When it was my turn I was told "you have an EXCELLENT stroke, VERY good!".

Made me feel like a million bucks.:bliss:

Queen
May 28th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Diana an old friend from the past, she knows her stuff. She started swimming marathon races just as I was ending my racing days.
Very cool!!

I was really surprised by how sweet she was, and very very funny. The clinic was made up of all levels and some of the folks were extremely poor swimmers, she was respectful and positive and every single participant. Just a wonderful experience!

ElaineK
July 14th, 2012, 06:46 PM
My "swim happy" was competing in my first open water race(s), today, at the Georgia Games. :ohyeah:I swam a 3k (I've been told it was longer than 3k in past years; I'm not sure about today...) and achieved my goal of making it back in time for the start of the 1k; (mostly thanks to Rob Copeland who delayed the start of the 1k by five minutes. :D) But, I swam it in 1:1:24.14, beating out three others in my age group for a silver medal. And, as you can see by the photo, I was thrilled to see the 1k hadn't started yet! So, I jumped right back in for the 1k, swimming it in 20 minutes and beating out another gal by 11 minutes to win the gold in the Women's 50-54 age group. :bliss:

Mostly, I was relieved the water, at 85 degrees, was the coolest it had been for this event. And, the cloud cover stayed for the first 2k of my 3k swim. Somehow, I survived the warm water and HOT air and felt great on my swims; a HUGE swim happy for me, given my heat intolerance problems! :agree:

:chug: to Rob Copeland for running a fantastic event! I'll be back next year! :banana:

jaadams1
July 14th, 2012, 09:56 PM
My "swim happy" was competing in my first open water race(s), today, at the Georgia Games. :ohyeah:I swam a 3k (I've been told it was longer than 3k in past years; I'm not sure about today...) and achieved my goal of making it back in time for the start of the 1k; (mostly thanks to Rob Copeland who delayed the start of the 1k by five minutes. :D) But, I swam it in 1:1:24.14, beating out three others in my age group for a silver medal. And, as you can see by the photo, I was thrilled to see the 1k hadn't started yet! So, I jumped right back in for the 1k, swimming it in 20 minutes and beating out another gal by 11 minutes to win the gold in the Women's 50-54 age group. :bliss:

Mostly, I was relieved the water, at 85 degrees, was the coolest it had been for this event. And, the cloud cover stayed for the first 2k of my 3k swim. Somehow, I survived the warm water and HOT air and felt great on my swims; a HUGE swim happy for me, given my heat intolerance problems! :agree:

:chug: to Rob Copeland for running a fantastic event! I'll be back next year! :banana:

Congrats Elaine! That gives me a little more confidence that I can complete my 1.76 mile Longbridge Swim in Sandpoint Idaho in 3 weeks. I'm hoping for 70-72 degree water. Warmer would be nice too! ;)

Swimosaur
July 14th, 2012, 10:21 PM
... swam a 3k ... jumped right back in for the 1k ...

Yowzer!

Dudette, this and a 900 fly -- excuse me, 2000 fly -- the pool can no longer contain you!

Well done!

ElaineK
July 14th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Yowzer!

Dudette, this and a 900 fly -- excuse me, 2000 fly -- the pool can no longer contain you!

Well done!

:lmao: Thanks, Swimosaur! I'll take "Dudette" (along with Ande's "Elaine-iaK") as a compliment! :smooch:

I just finished a blog post about today: http://elaineiakstravels.wordpress.com/2012/07/14/no-lane-lines-no-black-line-no-walls-georgia-games-open-water-swim/

jaadams1
July 14th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Congrats Elaine! That gives me a little more confidence that I can complete my 1.76 mile Longbridge Swim in Sandpoint Idaho in 3 weeks. I'm hoping for 70-72 degree water. Warmer would be nice too! ;)

Well...I'm going to "jump right in" and day of the event enter into the Steve Omi memorial OW swim tomorrow in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. :) It's a 1 miler, and the water temp on the internet is showing 72.7 degrees. A phone call to a friend over there has confirmed it, so here I go, swimming no wetsuit (since I don't have one anyway) :)

ElaineK
July 15th, 2012, 12:05 AM

Thanks, James! 1.76 miles? You? Uhhh, James, you could complete a 10.76 mile swim, no problem! :banana:

rxleakem
July 15th, 2012, 12:17 AM
:woot: for Elaine's great swims, and :woot: to James for taking the plunge! :applaud:

jaadams1
July 15th, 2012, 12:21 AM
:woot: for Elaine's great swims, and :woot: to James for taking the plunge! :applaud:

Thanks, James! 1.76 miles? You? Uhhh, James, you could complete a 10.76 mile swim, no problem! :banana:

Thanks...and while it may look like I can do a 10+ miler...I'm going to start light...and stay light. :D I'm not into huge marathon swims, and even 5K would be pushing it for me right now...
I'll just start with where I can keep it fun, and stay there for a long time...

ElaineK
July 15th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Thanks...and while it may look like I can do a 10+ miler...I'm going to start light...and stay light. :D I'm not into huge marathon swims, and even 5K would be pushing it for me right now...
I'll just start with where I can keep it fun, and stay there for a long time...

You gooooo, James! :cheerleader: Good luck and have a blast! But, watch out; you might get hooked. :agree: :ohyeah:

ElaineK
July 15th, 2012, 12:51 AM

Thanks, RX! :D :chug:

Celestial
July 15th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Congrats to you Elaine (and most likely James, at this point!!) Personally, I'm not so much "in" to open water swims, but I sure as heck would rather swim in 72 degree water rather than 85. We have a few springs & spring fed rivers near by that are 70-72 and they are quite do-able for about 3 miles, IMO - well, that's how long I can last!

ElaineK
July 15th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Congrats to you Elaine (and most likely James, at this point!!) Personally, I'm not so much "in" to open water swims, but I sure as heck would rather swim in 72 degree water rather than 85. We have a few springs & spring fed rivers near by that are 70-72 and they are quite do-able for about 3 miles, IMO - well, that's how long I can last!

Oh, I hear ya! Swimming open water in 70-72 degree water would be perfect! I grew up spending my summers swimming in 67-69 degree water, in Long Beach. As long as I keep moving, I can handle it that cool without a wetsuit.

Unfortunately, the lakes around here get too darn hot in the summer! :censor:

jaadams1
July 15th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Woohoo!! I did it! I'm an OW person now... :bolt:
Yeah right!
I swam a 1 mile race or so, who knows if the buoys were really accurate or not. Completed it, 6th overall out of 120 or so swimmers. 1st in my age group, and 1st among NON-wetsuiters (though they didn't score for wetsuit or no-wetsuit).

ElaineK
July 15th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Woohoo!! I did it! I'm an OW person now... :bolt:
Yeah right!
I swam a 1 mile race or so, who knows if the buoys were really accurate or not. Completed it, 6th overall out of 120 or so swimmers. 1st in my age group, and 1st among NON-wetsuiters (though they didn't score for wetsuit or no-wetsuit).

:applaud: :banana: :cheerleader: Way to go, James! This one is for you: :chug:

TRYM_Swimmer
July 15th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Great job, James!

rxleakem
July 15th, 2012, 08:23 PM
:applaud: :banana: :cheerleader: Way to go, James! This one is for you: :chug:

Way to go, James! :cheerleader:

jaadams1
July 15th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Thanks guys! 3 weeks from now I'll try out a "real" OW event at Sandpoint, the Longbridge swim. Once you've crossed the lake alongside the bridge, and you reach the shoreline, you're only halfway done!! The finish is still a ways away down the shoreline.

ElaineK
August 6th, 2012, 01:32 AM
This breaststroke sprinter took Geek's advice ( :afraid:) and crossed over to the dark side and tried some distance events in Dixie Zone LC Championships. Like Ande suggested (thanks Ande!), "swim anything and everything". So, I did:

Saturday:
#3 50 free
#4 100 breast
#6 Mixed free relay
#9 50 back
#10 100 fly (new event; took 14 seconds off my practice time from push-off)
#12 400 Women's Medley Relay (100 breast)
#15 400 free (new event; took 22 seconds off my practice time from push-off). The meet ran so long, my heat didn't go off until 7:30 PM! :bed:And, there were still heats after mine!

Sunday: Back in the pool at 8am for warm-ups
#16 50 breast. Ran back to the start just in time for my next event...
#17 200 fly (new event; took 7+ seconds off my practice time from push-off)
#22 50 fly
#28 400 IM (new event; .34 slower than practice from a push-off :cane:)
#29 800 fr (new event; took 1:15 off my practice time from a push-off :ohyeah:)

My swim happy? I HAD A BLAST! :bliss:And, in 400 IM, 400fr and 800fr, I place between a BB-A on the Motivational Times Chart; better than I thought for my first time out. (As for my fly, uhhhh, I barely made it for the 200. :blush: I have endurance fly down, but I need to improve my speed!)

Call me crazy, but I loved racing those new events- even the 400 IM and 200 fly. :banana:

So, it's 1:30am and I'm still wired from the weekend. A crash and burn is in my not too distant future... :snore:

ElaineK
August 6th, 2012, 01:42 AM
Now, for a shout out to Swimosaur (Swimosaurus Maximus!):

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Swimosaur swam in 8 events and got personal bests in 7 of them!
:thewave:

:applaud: :cheerleader: :banana:

After having a fantastic meet in Greensboro, he turned around and had a better meet in Greenville. Way to go!

Hey, Swimosaur, thanks for counting my 800 fr and giving me that extra push I needed for my last 50! :smooch:

P.S. Judd, Bruce was right; you were "Swimosaurus Maximus" this weekend!

Swimosaur
August 6th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Swimosaur swam in 8 events and got personal bests in 7 of them!

Thanks, Elaine!!!

To be sure, two of the eight were events I don't swim very often; one was brand new for me. However, the remaining six were events I've done many times before, including at last year's LCM nats in Auburn. Of those six, I did new PBs in five of them! In the last event, I was only 0.14 off. I'll take it! The jury has returned its verdict: I am in better shape than last year!

Elaine had a great meet! She boldly took on the toughest events in the pool, including the 200 fly, and the 400 IM, and the 800 free, all on the same day! At the end of the day, she was still full of energy, bouncing up & down on the deck, saying, "Let's do it again!" It was fun hanging out with Elaine and Bruce. It was also fun to see -- and often get beaten by! -- my other buddies from GAJA.

The pool in Greenville, SC is now awesome! Team Greenville (http://www.tgswim.com/Home.jsp?team=lscsctg) did a complete remodeling. And by complete, I mean they tore the old pool out of the ground, dug a new hole, and started over from scratch. The new pool is gorgeous. It is (I'm guessing) 9 feet deep everywhere, with 9 foot lanes. The water is clear and cool, and there are Colorado timing pads on both ends. It's fast! There are plenty of bleachers. There's a 5 lane, 25 yard therapy pool in an adjacent room for swimdowns. It's a fine place to swim! The meet was very well run; the volunteers did a terrific job!

Many thanks to Greenville!!!

That Guy
August 6th, 2012, 10:01 AM
This breaststroke sprinter took Geek's advice ( :afraid:) and crossed over to the dark side and tried some distance events in Dixie Zone LC Championships. Like Ande suggested (thanks Ande!), "swim anything and everything".

Great job, both of you! :applaud:

ElaineK
August 6th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Thanks, Elaine!!!

To be sure, two of the eight were events I don't swim very often; one was brand new for me. However, the remaining six were events I've done many times before, including at last year's LCM nats in Auburn. Of those six, I did new PBs in five of them! In the last event, I was only 0.14 off. I'll take it! The jury has returned its verdict: I am in better shape than last year!

Elaine had a great meet! She boldly took on the toughest events in the pool, including the 200 fly, and the 400 IM, and the 800 free, all on the same day! At the end of the day, she was still full of energy, bouncing up & down on the deck, saying, "Let's do it again!" It was fun hanging out with Elaine and Bruce. It was also fun to see -- and often get beaten by! -- my other buddies from GAJA.

The pool in Greenville, SC is now awesome! Team Greenville (http://www.tgswim.com/Home.jsp?team=lscsctg) did a complete remodeling. And by complete, I mean they tore the old pool out of the ground, dug a new hole, and started over from scratch. The new pool is gorgeous. It is (I'm guessing) 9 feet deep everywhere, with 9 foot lanes. The water is clear and cool, and there are Colorado timing pads on both ends. It's fast! There are plenty of bleachers. There's a 5 lane, 25 yard therapy pool in an adjacent room for swimdowns. It's a fine place to swim! The meet was very well run; the volunteers did a terrific job!

Many thanks to Greenville!!!

Awww, thanks Swimosaur! :D You were fun to hang out with, too. And, it was great watching you swim and :cheerleader: for you! Here are the videos Bruce shot of two of your events:

50m bk- http://youtu.be/82ZY7cgKlts
200m br- http://youtu.be/C4N2B4a_nls

It was a role reversal at this meet; Swimosaur swam 200 breaststroke and I didn't, in favor of 200 fly. Great job on the breaststroke, Swimosaur! Post this link in The Breaststroke Lane and King Frog (and possibly Jim Rude) will give you informative feedback. I thought you did great!

As for still being able to function at the conclusion of the meet, after my 800, it is obvious I left too much in the pool. I had only practiced "racing" those events from a push-off over the past month; just a few times each event. So, I am still trying to figure out pacing. But, with practice, I at least hope to increase my fly speed!

As for the facility, I agree. I never saw it before the remodel, so I have nothing for comparison. In addition to what you said, the locker rooms were also very nice. My only issue with the facility was the heat; a constant problem for me. They billed it as an "indoor/outdoor climate controlled facility", however they opened all of the huge doors, so it was basically like being outdoors in the shade. It was very hot and humid; quite exhausting, since my 400m heat didn't go off until around 7:30pm and I had to be back less than 12 hours later, after warm-down. The warm-up pool was also around 85 degrees. To combat the heat, I took a lot of cold showers and made a lot of trips to the locker rooms to stay cool in the airconditioning.

In the end, I was a lot happier in the end :banana: than when I arrived :afraid:. It was a fun meet, the volunteers and officials were terrific and we had a great time. And, yes, sign me up for Brute Squad; I'm ready to do it again! :bliss:

ElaineK
August 6th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Great job, both of you! :applaud:

Thanks, That Guy! Too bad the Brute Squad meet isn't here in Georgia. I would sign up! :agree:

That Guy
August 6th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Thanks, That Guy! Too bad the Brute Squad meet isn't here in Georgia. I would sign up! :agree:
Results! http://www.dixiezone.org/Results/1208greenville.pdf

ElaineK
August 6th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Results! http://www.dixiezone.org/Results/1208greenville.pdf

Thanks, That Guy! You're one step ahead of me! :applaud:

jaadams1
August 7th, 2012, 12:20 AM

http://www.brutesquadswim.com/

Wait for this one. I'm sure the website will get updated for the new year as the time gets closer...probably Octoberish for the Nov.-Dec. competition.