PDA

View Full Version : Locker room foot wear

orca1946
September 23rd, 2010, 03:03 PM
Do you wear something on your feet in the locker room or not?
With all the icky stuff around, I started to wear plastic slides in the locker, shower & on to the pool deck since they let all the parents wear their outside shoes on the deck to watch their kids do lessons.

chaos
September 23rd, 2010, 03:08 PM
no

i should add that my footwear of choice for +/- 350 days/year is chaco flip flops. i haven't had athletes foot since high school, nor do i suffer from that other nasty fungal thingy (you know the one i'm talking about)

aquageek
September 23rd, 2010, 03:31 PM
Embrace athlete's foot.

Sharpsburger
September 23rd, 2010, 03:36 PM
No.

But I do use a "Thai stone" (aluminum/alum salt crystal) on my feet between showering and putting on my socks, which makes the environment inhospitable to wee beasties. (It'll also get rid of even the most pestilent foot odor.)

jethro
September 23rd, 2010, 04:33 PM
No way would I ever walk in the locker room, particularly the shower area, in bare feet. Blech! It doesn't *look* nasty, but still...

Flip flops at all times.

Thrashing Slug
September 23rd, 2010, 04:54 PM
No.

Locker-room footwear doesn't get washed as often as feet do. It serves as a place for germs to accumulate and grow. If you keep the footwear in a bag or locker, the germs can then spread by contact. You're effectively concentrating the germs and carrying them around with you.

Three Rivers
September 23rd, 2010, 05:15 PM
But what about all those nubby things on the sole of my addidas sandals? Don't those help with beastie things?

In any case, I'd forgotten to bring the things home for three straight days while they just sat under my desk to dry out!

Good thing this thread came along to remind me. I just put them in my bag.

aquageek
September 23rd, 2010, 05:23 PM
But what about all those nubby things on the sole of my addidas sandals? Don't those help with beastie things?

All those things do is provide ample nooks and crannies for water to get in and funk to proliferate.

Three Rivers
September 23rd, 2010, 05:34 PM
Maybe I'll take them back out of the bag............

__steve__
September 23rd, 2010, 06:24 PM
After thousands spent on being envenomated this summer, I have since avoided flip-flops. Shoes are on until entering pool area.

chaos
September 23rd, 2010, 08:59 PM
After thousands spent on being envenomated this summer

tell more! what venomous critter did you encounter?

__steve__
September 24th, 2010, 12:52 AM
tell more! what venomous critter did you encounter?
Agkistrodon contortrix contortrix, Southern copperhead. Just working in the yard wearing flip-flops I accidentally stepped on one. She got me 3 times.

Why was a copperhead (nocturnal) in my backyard at 11:00 am during peak summer (Aug) moreover never seeing one until standing on it? bad luck!

I wear shoes more often now

gdanner
September 24th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Embrace athlete's foot.

Yeh, I've definitely had athlete's foot for as long as I can remember. Finally I've started battling it. Wearing flip flops at practice for past couple weeks and using Tinactin. Not sure this is a winnable war.

At meets, I've started wearing sneakers on deck and only taking them off right before I need to swim.

Thrashing Slug
September 24th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Never wear the same shoes two days in a row. I started following that maxim after contracting athlete's foot about 5 years ago, and have not had it since.

Oh and if you do have athlete's foot.. forget everything I said before. Shoes are good, wear them in the locker room. Hiking boots are even better :D

pwb
September 24th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Despite the unfair knocks on chlorine in this other thread (U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums - View Single Post - According to new study Chlorinated pools may lead to cancer), I believe in the healing and protective power of this magical chemical. When I walk out of a pool and into a locker room, I'm encased in a force field of clean that prevents all locker room beasties from attacking me. Never had athlete's foot while I had swimming as my primary athletic pursuit.

Now, locker rooms not frequented primarily by swimmers should be avoided at all costs; those land sports folks are just downright dirty.

Redbird Alum
September 24th, 2010, 01:05 PM
NO Shoes On Deck!

Whatever happened to this maxim from our past... remember the pools with "foot baths" you couldn't jump across? Nowadays, you have people wearing their "water shoes" from home all the way in to the bottom of your pool!

Even so, I say bring on the viruses, bacteria and whatever else lives on the floor. If we hope to survive as a species, we have to be able to fight off these things! (As Al Bundy says... "the mighty cockroach"!)

And with that said, I'm all about footwear outdoors... puncture wounds are a whole different story than surface bacteria! :2cents:

orca1946
September 24th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Others NON swimmer people that walk in goose shi# on the way into the pool & walk right out of the hall onto the deck to watch lil jr. so they can save them in case they try to drown in 2 ft of water really get me angry!!:worms:

gigi
September 24th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I used to sneer when I saw all the "prissy" women who wore their flip-flops in the locker room, on the pool deck, in the shower....
Wearing flip-flops all the time just seemed overly fussy to me, but somewhere along the line I became one of those women - and I don't know why or when. Now when I go to the Y and I don't have my flip-flops (maybe I took them out of my locker bec. I was going on vacation or something) I feel like I'm going to slip and fall on the super slippery floor...but the floor never used to be slippery...
I feel so old....
and prissy
:doh:

nkfrench
September 24th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Yeh, I've definitely had athlete's foot for as long as I can remember. Finally I've started battling it. Wearing flip flops at practice for past couple weeks and using Tinactin. Not sure this is a winnable war.

At meets, I've started wearing sneakers on deck and only taking them off right before I need to swim. I had chronic athlete's foot throughout my swim career until I got a secondary MRSA (drug-resistant staph) infection through the cracks between my toes. It made me very sick for several weeks and I was out of the water for about a month. The IV antibiotics I was on for 2 weeks cost about $600/day (glad to have insurance!). It is quite possible the MRSA infection came from the pool facility.

Since then, I have been very careful about taking care of my feet. I clean them twice a day making sure I rub off all dead skin and carefully dry between each toe. I use that hand-sanitizer gel after washing or swimming - it helps get moisture out. I wear sandals on the pool deck and in the lockerrooms and leave them poolside while I swim. They have better traction than my street shoes and are slides, not flip-flops so they don't twist around. My street shoes are selected for function more so than style; they have a wide toe box and breathable uppers.

I never had much luck with fungicides either topical or systemic, nor with foot powder.

Updated: yeah, I thought shower shoes were for wimps until I became one myself. :)

Chicken of the Sea
September 24th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I always go barefoot. Have never had athlete's foot, but now I've probably jinxed myself!!

gobears
September 24th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I used to sneer when I say all the "prissy" women who wore their flip-flops in the locker room, on the pool deck, in the shower....
Wearing flip-flops all the time just seemed overly fussy to me, but somewhere along the line I became one of those women - and I don't know why or when. Now when I go to the Y and I don't have my flip-flops (maybe I took them out of my locker bec. I was going on vacation or something) I feel like I'm going to slip and fall on the super slippery floor...but the floor never used to be slippery...
I feel so old....
and prissy
:doh:

LOL. Me too. :)

sydned
September 25th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I have been known to wear my fins in the shower when I forget my flip flops. Maybe it's a placebo, but it sure has heck makes me feel better when I have something on my feet. At least then I don't have to step on the bits of dead roach sometimes in our locker room--yes, it's that bad but the coaching is so good, it's worth it.

want2beafish
September 26th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I definitely wear footwear. Didn't used to, but after spending the better part of a year trying to eradicate a stubborn case of plantar warts, I'm a flip-flop-on-the-pool-deck junkie. It's not just the athlete's foot.

orca1946
September 27th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I saw a guy with yellow toe nails & started to freak out . Now I'm one of those prissy guys that wear under armor shower shoes, at least they look manly.

FindingMyInnerFish
September 27th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I have a pair of slides for the locker room and it's less b/c of the germs (so far so good) than b/c of the slippery floors. While I prefer to have them, I'm not terribly worried if I forget them. I suppose I would worry if I really thought about it. :eek:

orca1946
September 27th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I'm surprised at how close the two choices are !

Lui
September 28th, 2010, 05:25 AM
nor do i suffer from that other nasty fungal thingy (you know the one i'm talking about)

No, what?:confused:

I wear Nike flip flops(100% rubber) all the time up to the pool. I would never walk around barefoot.

swimshark
September 28th, 2010, 08:18 AM
I'm surprised at how close the two choices are !

I am, too.

norascats
September 28th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I have two pairs of flip flops that I use for guarding and in the locker room. They come home with me to dry out and go in the laundry at least weekly. they are then dried in the sun.
I do have problems with people wearing outdoor shoes into the pool area. Caught between enforce the rules and be nice to the patrons. There is no real solution to that.

orca1946
September 28th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Have parents/ patrons bring deck wear & change before coming on deck.Lots of people sanitize their hands at the store, but walk on deck with who knows what on their shoes!!:badday:

SLOmmafan
September 29th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Embrace the bare feet!

orca1946
September 29th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Sorry - foot fetish is not my thing:bolt:

Mine are somewhat higher:D:D

marksman
September 29th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I have two pairs of flip flops that I use for guarding and in the locker room. They come home with me to dry out and go in the laundry at least weekly. they are then dried in the sun.
I do have problems with people wearing outdoor shoes into the pool area. Caught between enforce the rules and be nice to the patrons. There is no real solution to that.

I hadn't thought about shoes in the pool area...yeah that's a problem.

I know people that won't even step foot in the locker room. They change outside under a towel, or just wear their suit to/from the pool.

debaru
September 29th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I always wear flip flops around water, whether at the lake, beach, or the pool. But, the main reason I wear them is so I don't step on something that might puncture my foot, or worse yet, slip and fall, which might prevent me from swimming either way.

I agree with Patrick, I think all that magical chlorine should take care of any nasty bugs, but it won't do anything for a shard of broken glass/plastic or a sharp rock.

I come across occasional plastic junk in the showers at my gym (caps from bottles, etc.) that are almost invisible on a wet floor. I usually find them when I step on them and hear a distinctive "crunch". When that happens, I am so glad I have my heavy duty Speedo sandals on. :agree:

mjtyson
September 29th, 2010, 11:55 PM
When I went to get my spravka here (what? You don't know what a spravka is? Read my blog!), the doctor advised I wear flip-flops. Apparently, many who go to Russian gyms get plantar warts, or worse.

I got plantar warts about 10 years ago, and it was from the changing room at our base's pool. Had those damn things for about 5 years and I can uncategorically say that not much else is worse. I'll wear flip-flops for the rest of my life it that means no more of those warts.

orca1946
September 30th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Warts and lots of other stuff. Thanx for the info.

orca1946
October 8th, 2010, 01:07 AM
Now our coach wants us to do kick drills in our gym shoes, washed 1st then to use.

orca1946
October 12th, 2010, 07:26 PM
HA HA ! Now we seem to have a contest to who has the coolest deck wear on the team!!!

orca1946
October 18th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Now coach wants us to do kicking sets with gym shoes on!

__steve__
October 18th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Just use a size 15 3D and use them for fins too.

orca1946
October 28th, 2010, 10:54 PM
:bow: Good idea. I tried aqua shoes & that seems to help me in the locker room & the pool . Aqua shoes are now used for foot wear & kicking set & that does not hurt my hip so much.

RachaelM
October 29th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I've started keeping a tub of antibacterial wipes in my locker to wipe down my shower shoes before putting them backin my bag after reading this thread.

orca1946
October 30th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Hey ! That's a good idea ! Thanx for the tip ! :applaud:

morton
December 15th, 2010, 06:03 PM
I wear flip flops and found this thread by doing a search for "athlete's foot". After about 17 years out of the pool I have returned and after a month or so of swimming daily I have developed athletes foot.

I am shocked to read about people getting MRSA and want to really step up my game to first clear out the fungus and two make sure to not get it again.

I am currently using lotrimin ultra and changing my socks/shoes at least once a day.

I liked the tip about hand sanitizer but when I tried that today it set off the raw parts between my toes.

Does anyone know why white cotton socks are always suggested when dealing with athletes foot? Most of my socks are smartwool.

^Epic first post eh?

orca1946
December 16th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I believe color socks have dye in them that might cause problems.
Yeah, if this is your 1st post , a good start !
Welcome to the world of swim stuff you never knew or might not want to !

Queen
December 16th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I wear water shoes from locker to pool to shower to locker, the floor is really slippery and my bum knee can't take another fall.

norascats
December 17th, 2010, 09:51 AM
White cotton can be boiled to disinfect. No dyes, no worry about shrinkage. that said, I like smart wool. Wool wicks the moisture away from the skin and is warmer in winter, even when damp.
Athlete's foot is a nasty. Hope you can get rid of it.

__steve__
December 17th, 2010, 11:04 AM
"Athlete's foot" or tinea pedis is fungus growing on the feet. The bugs responsible are usually Trichophyton and also Candida. These are the same microbes that cause jock itch and ringworm. An interesting peice of fact is the song "Great Balls of Fire" by Jerry Lee Lewis was inspired by a very bad case of Tinea cruis.

Anyway, the spores are everywhere we live, work and swim, but infection requires warm, dark and damp areas. Irritated skin and areas that rub will increase opportunity for infection, and some people seem to be more resistant to it catch it than others.

Prevention - Keep feet dry and dont provide an environment for it to grow

orca1946
December 17th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Do the chemicals in the pool kill the fungus?

morton
December 17th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I do not think that the chemicals in the pool do anything to harm the fungus.

It is funny, if you google "white socks and athletes foot" the page is full of people saying to only wear cotton or to avoid cotton at all costs. I think that changing socks is the most important.

Boiling socks sounds really hard core, is this a thing? I have never heard of it.

I am doing my very best to clear out the fungus, keeping feet super dry and trying both over the counter medicine and other remedy solutions.

orca1946
December 19th, 2010, 07:12 PM
A good foot DOC might be in order !:bolt:

Thrashing Slug
December 19th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Interesting fact.. Candida is one of the main species responsible for decomposition of corpses. We do what we can to keep the little critters at bay, but they usually win in the end :D

orca1946
December 20th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Is that why I feel so "dead " after a really hard workout ?

Bobinator
December 21st, 2010, 09:48 AM
This thread is freaking me out!!
I try to stay totally out of the locker room @ my primary pool! It never gets cleaned and it is way too small for the # of users. (including high school swimmer's and their breakfast remains all over the place).
My latest strategy is to wear my suit to practice with sweats over it finished off with a long coat. After practice I just wrap up in a towel and put my coat over it. I have a 20 minute drive home which gets a little uncomfortable and itchy but at least I don't have to go into the nasty, slimey little locker room!!
I'm not really a prissy person but I dislike wallowing in filth.

Dolphin 2
December 21st, 2010, 12:01 PM
Do the chemicals in the pool kill the fungus?

Pools and hot tubs (where the water is filtered and disinfected with chlorine, bromine, UV light) are not environments where Tinea fungi can live or be transmitted.

Tinea fungi require a favorable environment such as porous concrete floors, foot wear, etc. where there is abundance of loose skin cells and other stuff where it can colonize and make contact with the skin.

Hot & sweaty areas of the body (especially those with more more clothing coverage) are a great breeding place for fungal infections and suits that fit tight around the groin area (jammers and tech suits) are an excellent haven for breeding Tinea Cruis (jock itch).

Here's some info on tinea infections:

http://dermnetnz.org/fungal/tinea.html

D2

orca1946
December 21st, 2010, 07:34 PM
Most newer pool areas are tile that is not porous & will clean up well.
It's the time b4 cleaning that worries me !

orca1946
January 3rd, 2011, 06:00 PM
I got Crocks with a liner for Christmas - wow are they nice.

morton
January 4th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Three weeks into fighting the athletes foot with a serious effort. Still there and I am off to see the doctor today. I took myself out of the pool a week ago so as not to 1) expose myself to the environment that gave me the funk and 2) not shed it for others to catch.

Products Used:

-Lotrimin Ultra Cream

-Lotrimin Spray

-Tinactin Powder Spray

-Miracle Foot Cream

-Wallgreens Foot Powder

-Apple Cider Vinegar soaks

Change socks and shoes at least twice daily

Put down personal towel in bathroom over bathmat, wash all towels if they touch feet, bleach down sink or shower after washing feet.

It is disgusting the way that some of the old men at the pool treat the locker room, clipping their nails and letting em fall on the floor, scraping their feet with a cheese grater thing in a public room. All while bare foot and walking around sitting on stuff buck.

I was really kind of inspired by seeing these old guys swimming on the daily when I first got back in the pool but these dudes need to go spend a little time in jail to learn how people take care of hygiene in a close quarters environment.

jethro
January 4th, 2011, 10:51 AM
It is disgusting the way that some of the old men at the pool treat the locker room, clipping their nails and letting em fall on the floor, scraping their feet with a cheese grater thing in a public room. All while bare foot and walking around sitting on stuff buck.

I was really kind of inspired by seeing these old guys swimming on the daily when I first got back in the pool but these dudes need to go spend a little time in jail to learn how people take care of hygiene in a close quarters environment.

I think locker room rants would be a whole 'nother thread. I know I would have no shortage of material. Good Lord!

orca1946
January 4th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Maybe they do it at the locker room cuz the wife :blah:won't let them do this at home & somebody else will clean it up :worms:

morton
January 5th, 2011, 09:38 AM
If it is too disgusting to do it in front of the person you make sexy times with it is too much for a public locker room.

So, I went to the doc and he put me on a two week script of internal anti-fungal pills with the brand name lamisil. Also nightly footbaths of water and vinegar.

I am going to stay out of the pool for this period out of respect for others, when I go back I am thinking about not really using the locker room much and driving home to shower (I live less than a mile from pool).

I am going to buy a couple more pairs of rubber shower shoes from the drugstore. The cheap kind that can be purchased in numbers and machine washed.

orca1946
January 5th, 2011, 01:27 PM
I wish you luck with getting rid of the ick.