PDA

View Full Version : your swims, how does temperature acclimatization figure in?

geog
October 1st, 2010, 12:46 AM

Rykno
October 4th, 2010, 01:34 AM
I don't need to acclimate myself to different temperatures. I think I could be a freak of nature when it comes to body temp.

I adapt quickly to both warm and cold. I currently live in sweden, but when I go back to Texas to visit my parents I have no trouble adapting from the below 60F to the above 90F. we as the rest of my family and swedish relatives think anything over 80F is too hot.

in the winter I can go from our 68-72F apartment out into the below 40F with just a shirt on to walk the dogs.

on a sunny below 40F day I usually take a jacket with me to watch the kids go sledding (sp) but wind up sitting on it.

when it gets that cold outside I usually wind up walking around the apartment with just shorts on because 70F seems to be too warm.

with swimming I have to admit I don't swim in water colder than 59F and if I did it would be with a wetsuit since most FINA OW swims are not allowed if the water gets below 60.8F and for Masters races it's 64.4F

chaos
October 4th, 2010, 07:54 AM
i don't take cold showers, but do wear fewer layers than most people. flip flops in the winter (yes... even in the snow). light sheets on the bed.
swimming in cold water is the best way to acclimatize, and i am fortunate to have a few groups around that share my enthusiasm for this activity.

G_Swim
October 4th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I LOVE swimming in cold water, so this is the time of year that I really begin to enjoy open-water swimming. The air and water here in Long Island Sound are just beginning to cool off. My method of acclimatization is just to go swimming every day as it gets colder. Occasionally lately I will turn the shower to cold while I'm in there with the half-hearted intention of getting my body used to the colder temps, but mainly it's just getting into the water to swim that acclimates me.

My goal is to swim as long as possible outdoors without a wetsuit. In 2008 I made it until November 29th, with water temps in the high-ish 40s and air temps below 40. Generally I swim for between a half hour and an hour. This year, I would like to swim until the middle of November before putting on a wetsuit (a gift last year) and then continuing through the end of December. I wll consider going without the suit if it still feels acceptable.

As I get into the cold water, I always have a feeling that my body has undergone some long-term acclimatization so that it knows from experience hw to react when I get in. As my body gets wet, I find myself relaxing and breathing evenly rather than tensing up. After the face has gotten used to the pain, I can swim easily for a little bit and then feel what I imagine is a golden light spreading out from my core and keeping me warm for the rest of the swim.

The best part is how great you feel for the rest of the day once you have gotten out and warmed up again! Enjoy the :chillpill:!

aurora
October 4th, 2010, 11:37 PM
I just finish Dover Solo as well being next year is the date for my channel swim. Right now i do take a cold shower every day. once a week I sit in an Ice bath, Now I live it IL and Lake Michigan has been around 58. I did a swim last week and I felt warm. I have been doing the cold showers and such for three months and see so much change. Now 58 feel like bath water. I really works!

Chicken of the Sea
October 8th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I've done several longish swims at about 60 over the summer, but the lake was 55 today. I stayed in 30 minutes (1 mile), but hope to double that tomorrow. Let's see! :)
Not really sure what I'm training for right now but I'll do anything to avoid the pool.