PDA

View Full Version : OW swims in Florida during Christmas?

mjtyson
October 2nd, 2010, 04:18 AM
Anyone know of any OW swims in Florida during Christmas break (18 Dec to 3 Jan)?? Bonus points if the race is on the gulf coast near St. Pete.

I've searched thewaterisopen.com as well as the daily news of OW swimming, but can't find anything.

Thanks for any help!

sarah_q
October 2nd, 2010, 10:56 AM
I'll be in the Bay Area (Anna Maria Isl) at that time and would be happy to swim with you for a couple of miles. Not a race, but at least you'd have some company.

Chicken of the Sea
October 2nd, 2010, 12:05 PM
I was looking last year and surprisingly found very little! I ended up doing the mile in Fort Lauderdale on the New Year's weekend. I think it was on the ISHOF website.

There was also a 5k in Tampa Bay the same day that I found out about after I'd organised to go to Fort Lauderdale. It was a Navy Seal fundraiser for a wounded vet and Ron Collins was helping out with it. I'm not sure if they're doing it again this year. I should look into it......

sarah_q
October 2nd, 2010, 02:11 PM
If you find anything out about the 5k in Tampa Bay, please let us know.

mjtyson
October 3rd, 2010, 01:16 AM
I was looking last year and surprisingly found very little! I ended up doing the mile in Fort Lauderdale on the New Year's weekend. I think it was on the ISHOF website.

There was also a 5k in Tampa Bay the same day that I found out about after I'd organised to go to Fort Lauderdale. It was a Navy Seal fundraiser for a wounded vet and Ron Collins was helping out with it. I'm not sure if they're doing it again this year. I should look into it......

A 5K would be perfect, and the location is perfect. If you find anything out about it, please let me know. I'll do some searching, too.

sara, I'll let you know where the fam and I end up!

mjtyson
October 3rd, 2010, 01:19 AM
Found this...no date in Jan yet
http://www.randywaynewhite.com/Site2/Postcards_RWW.html

roncollins
October 7th, 2010, 07:08 PM
This is from www.tampabayfrogman.com
Event: Tampa Bay Frogman Swim - 5k open water swim in support of the Naval Special Warfare Foundation

Date: January 2, 2011. Start time 0700 (7am est) at Gandy Beach in St Petersburg
Time Line:
0545 Race start area/parking open at Gandy Beach. DIRECTIONS
0645 Pre-Race Brief
0715 Support Staff on Station/Comms check/Medical check
0730 Race Start
Wave 1--0730
Wave 2--0740
0945 Swim Course closes
1030 After Race Party & Awards Ceremony (Location TBD)

Register: Entry fee is $35 We recommend registering via imATHLETE for quickest processing. Please register early as we are limiting the field to 100 swimmers. You may also, Print and mail PDF application. REGISTRATION FORM

Licensing: As this event is sanctioned by US Masters Swimming and USA Swimming, all participants must have a license from one of these organizations to participate. You may purchase a one day license from US Masters for $19 or go to www.usms.org or www.usaswimming.org to purchase a one year license.

Fundraising: In addition to the entry fee, swimmers are asked to raise $1,000 for the Naval Special Warfare Foundation. This is a charity event to benefit the families of wounded or fallen Navy SEALs. Swimmers are asked to secure pledges prior to the event. Fundraising can be done via our imATHLETE page or on your own. You can print your pledge sheet here. PLEDGE SHEET

Refunds: There are absolutely no refunds for this event as this event is a fundraiser with 100% of the proceeds going to the NSWF

Fitness Level: The Frogman Swim, a 3.1-mile open water event, may be challenging for even seasoned swimmers, therefore participants must have completed the 2010 Frogman Swim, the 2010 St. Pete Masters’ Hurricane Man Swim or an Ironman 70.3 distance event in the previous 12 months. Swimmers may also furnish a letter from a sanctioned swim team or masters coach attesting to their ability to complete such an arduous open-water event.

Water Temperature: The water temperature of Tampa Bay is usually below 60 degrees in January, and as a result, wetsuits are required. Exceptions, i.e., swimmers training for the English Channel, etc., will be made on case by case basis at the race director’s discretion prior to the event.