PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Swims

SullyIM
October 2nd, 2010, 06:23 PM
Looking to get something on my calendar for Summerish 2011.
Anyone know any 10K and longer races planned for 2011?

I know the 25K Championships are in Noblesville and the 10K is at Fort Meyers. Any other intriguing races posted yet?

chaos
October 2nd, 2010, 06:30 PM
tampa bay 24 miles
boston light 8 miles
kingdom 10 miles
MIMS 28.5 miles
ederle 17.5 miles
lake champlain 8 miles
key west 12 miles
pennock
etc

MikeGarr
October 2nd, 2010, 06:36 PM
There's the Flat Water Reservoir Champions challenge 10K run by Rhode Island's own Ray Gandy in September. (A local fun race).

ViveBene
October 2nd, 2010, 06:55 PM
In addition to the USMS OW Championship swims, there is a parallel world of interesting OW swims, as two previous posters have noted (I'll add Mallory Mead's Swim for Kids' Sake 10k near Indy). Many have qualifying requirements.
A site to bookmark:
http://www.thewaterisopen.com/10kswimmer

and poke around in. Quite a feast.
:)

There are also series swims, multiple swims on consecutive days. The COMA Cascades Lakes series in Bend, OR, is one such, and there is a series in Texas.
Chattanooga River Rats Annual Rat Race, 4.5 miles of Tennessee R.
New this year is a 10-mile swim in Ten. R. coming up in mid-October.

Chicken of the Sea
October 2nd, 2010, 08:11 PM
openwaterchicago.com
has a great list of swims.

E=H2O
October 2nd, 2010, 11:53 PM
tampa bay 24 miles
boston light 8 miles
kingdom 10 miles
MIMS 28.5 miles
ederle 17.5 miles
lake champlain 8 miles
key west 12 miles
pennock
etc

David

Didn't you do all of those this year? :-)

chaos
October 3rd, 2010, 12:00 AM
David

Didn't you do all of those this year? :-)

not quite bob.
pennock is on my hit list. i have little interest in key west (too hot), and my next swim in lake chamlain will be a 15 mile circumnavigation of isle le motte.

ViveBene
October 3rd, 2010, 01:07 AM
Pennock is a dream I will never realize; I can't meet the time requirement (most normal swimmers can).

Isle le Motte: a personalized swim?
Have fun with the lampreys or the morays or whatever they are!
Yesterday I was scared out of my wits in a very murky lake by a floating leaf!

Franco P
October 3rd, 2010, 06:42 AM
There is a 10K in Pensacola in late May. A double crossing of Pensacola Bay that runs parallel to bridge from Gulf Breeze to Pensacola and back. The start and finish of the swim are right at the hotel which makes it pretty convenient. Nice post race and awards.
http://3milebridgeswim.org/

Credit William Dailey for posting this one last spring.

chaos
October 3rd, 2010, 07:24 AM
Isle le Motte: a personalized swim?
Have fun with the lampreys or the morays or whatever they are!

yes. a friend has a house on the ny side in a town called chazy. i played with google earth and figured its a 15 mile swim out and around the isle.

lampreys are gross, but harmless.....

Jim B.
October 3rd, 2010, 07:42 AM
Did the Lake Champlain swim happen in 2010? I did not hear one bit about it.

chaos
October 3rd, 2010, 07:59 AM
Did the Lake Champlain swim happen in 2010? I did not hear one bit about it.

i don't think it has ever been promoted well... or run particularly well either. still, its a good swim

Jim B.
October 3rd, 2010, 08:54 AM
i don't think it has ever been promoted well... or run particularly well either. still, its a good swim

I remember that the start changed to somewhere north of Burlington. It sounds like more fun as a Plattsburgh>B'town crossing.

sydned
October 3rd, 2010, 04:02 PM
I've done it both ways, and I found the farther north to be better. Less dependent upon folks getting you across the lake in the morning, and less worry about all of the boat traffic on the way back. My first year, I noticed my husband/kayaker waving his paddle in the air so the ferry didn't hit us. Oh, and then there was that regatta...

Chicken of the Sea
October 3rd, 2010, 07:14 PM
not quite bob.
pennock is on my hit list. i have little interest in key west (too hot), and my next swim in lake chamlain will be a 15 mile circumnavigation of isle le motte.

Pennock is on my list too. Sounds like a cold one, but then I think Ederle might be too. I'll be interested in hearing your Ederle report! I'll be chugging down the Tennessee River dodging hillbillies that day. I'm desperately trying to get the kids to come with me but they don't want to miss a day of school. What the hell is wrong with that!!!??? hahaha

I did the Key West swim in 2008. Had a blast, but it's without doubt the hottest I've ever been in my life (and that's saying something! hehe). In and out of the water, it was oppressive. I couldn't swim a straight line in the last 2 miles and I wasn't dehydrated, just hot. Took my cap off and tried to throw it in the kayak. It was just as distressing as being too cold. A very fun, relaxed atmosphere though.

sdswimmer
October 13th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Sitka will also host another 10k this year (that's Sitka Alaska). It will be within 1 week of Pennock (Ketchikan Ak) so you can do both or if the 8.2 is a bit much try the 10km, there will likely be a 5km option too (I have been drafted as assistant RD again). You can also do a relay for Pennock if a solo is too much! Also the Semana Nautica 6mi (Santa Barbara) is a fantastic venue!

Ken Classen
October 14th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Also the Semana Nautica 6mi (Santa Barbara) is a fantastic venue!

From the Semana Nautica 6mi entry form
**”As in the tradition of open water swimming, the use of wet-suits or other non-porous attire, kickboards, gold chains, booties, paddles, swim buoys, body suits, triathlon suits, fins, gloves, or other wimpy contraband will not be allowed. No exceptions!!”** circa 1982, before the new open water rules.

:) gotta love it

http://s3.amazonaws.com/semananautica.prod/signup_forms/5/SB6mileswim2010.pdf

Mallory Mead
October 15th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I'm working on creating a new website, so there has not yet been a formal announcement, but please add the 2011 Swim For Kids' Sake in picturesque Culver, Indiana on August 27th. The line-up should include 1/2 Mile, 1 mile, 5k, 10k, relay options, and a kids' fun swim.

There is a fan page on facebook you could join to get updates as they come in.

Info about SFKS 2010 can be found here.

http://mallorymead.com/events-2/swim-for-kids-sake-2010/

evmo
November 10th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I took the liberty of organizing the above suggestions (plus some other swims I know of) into a spreadsheet:

http://bit.ly/longswims

With a limit of 10K/6M minimum distance, this shouldn't be difficult to keep reasonably updated and comprehensive. I also included the number of loops and entry fee for each swim. Let me know of any swims I've missed, corrections, or suggestions for additional columns (predicted water temp?).

Also, for now I'm limiting this to non-elite, U.S. races (no FINA World Cup or USA-S National Championship races).

MickYoung
November 10th, 2010, 05:36 PM
I took the liberty of organizing the above suggestions (plus some other swims I know of) into a spreadsheet:

http://www.freshwaterswimmer.com/links/swim-list/

With a limit of 10K/6M minimum distance, this shouldn't be difficult to keep reasonably updated and comprehensive. I also included the number of loops and entry fee for each swim.

I can see "when" "What" and "Where. The rest of the fields are obscured by some twitter data.

orca1946
November 11th, 2010, 05:36 PM
The Culver IND one interests me !

mjtyson
November 12th, 2010, 06:48 AM

http://www.freshwaterswimmer.com/links/swim-list/

With a limit of 10K/6M minimum distance, this shouldn't be difficult to keep reasonably updated and comprehensive. I also included the number of loops and entry fee for each swim. Let me know of any swims I've missed, corrections, or suggestions for additional columns (predicted water temp?).

Also, for now I'm limiting this to non-elite, U.S. races (no FINA World Cup or USA-S National Championship races).

I've got an international (really, European) spreadsheet started on my blog: http://mtheads.typepad.com/10kmarathonswim/

I'm still working on getting URLs into the spreadsheet. Be patient with me!