PDA

View Full Version : The Next Big Thing: Golden Gate 4-mile IM

ViveBene
October 6th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Did folks see this top-page news brief? Good heavens!
http://www.usms.org/features.php?id=212

And it's a great idea, I think. A nice marriage of pool technique - swim all 4 strokes - and jellies, whales, and steamships. Plus big waves. A wonderful challenge for those inclined. Next year I would expect 100 swimmers. Perhaps this should be added to the "dream event" list.

:cheerleader:

Midas
October 7th, 2010, 03:59 PM
These guys are all members of San Francisco's Dolphin Club and are total cold water and endurance bad arses. I have the utmost respect for them all. I'd love to see 100 swimmers do this, but to do it with the Dolphins you need to be a member (and you can't wear a wetsuit!). I would highly encourage anyone in the SF Bay Area to check us out http://www.dolphinclub.org/index.html (http://www.dolphinclub.org/index.html) The club is made up of an incredible group of swimmers and rowers. Everybody is really cool and we have a lot of fun and do a lot of really neat events.

One thing they didn't mention in the USMS article was that there was a sixth swimmer out there that day. He only swam one length, but he did it wearing a old timey wool suit (HEAVY) while wearing handcuffs. Hard core!

Bobinator
October 7th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Wow!!!! That was awesome!
I would like to try something like that in a lake; calm, warmer, and free of painful jellies and other marine life! :)

orca1946
October 7th, 2010, 04:56 PM
That is really cold water for us that would not have a chance to practice in that temp.

Midas
October 7th, 2010, 05:50 PM
The water was about 59-60 degrees. That sounds cold, and is cold for sure, but is not as bad as you might fear. The trick is building up a tolerance for 2-3 hours at that temperature. I bet most people on this board could handle a one-way crossing in that water temp with no problems.

PS, it is awsome swimming under the Golden Gate Bridge. It's a view that few tourists get to enjoy!

debaru
October 7th, 2010, 10:12 PM
PS, it is awsome swimming under the Golden Gate Bridge. It's a view that few tourists get to enjoy!

I can only imagine. I've only seen the underside when out on the bay in a boat -- but actually being in the water and swimming under that beautiful thing, now that would be something to experience.

Bobinator
October 7th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Swimming under the Golden gate would just have to be amazing!
What will people think of doing next???

debaru
October 7th, 2010, 10:27 PM
I bet most people on this board could handle a one-way crossing in that water temp with no problems.!

I lived in the Bay area for 20 years prior to moving to Arizona and was very acclimated to the ocean water temperature. The coldest water I've been able to bring myself to swim in (sans wetsuit) here in the Southwest was ~58 degrees back in April. After 10 years here, I'm really used to much warmer water temperature. :)

I would love to try a swim in the Bay the next time I'm in your neck of the woods, but can just anyone jump in and have a go at swimming under the bridge or are there rules about swimming in the Bay?

Midas
October 8th, 2010, 07:08 PM
I lived in the Bay area for 20 years prior to moving to Arizona and was very acclimated to the ocean water temperature. The coldest water I've been able to bring myself to swim in (sans wetsuit) here in the Southwest was ~58 degrees back in April. After 10 years here, I'm really used to much warmer water temperature. :)

I would love to try a swim in the Bay the next time I'm in your neck of the woods, but can just anyone jump in and have a go at swimming under the bridge or are there rules about swimming in the Bay?

The Dolphin Club has rules, unfortunately. The hardest one for you will be that you need to be a member of the club to swim "out of cove" with them (the cove being Aquatic Park). Even if you were a member, you need to arrange for the swim with the Club's commissioners (and get their approval). They also have strict guidelines as to the number of swimmers per pilot (3 swimmers per pilot--this is very conservative, but also very safe/reassuring when you're out there). Our sister club, the South End Rowing Club, may have more lax rules but at a minimum they require club membership for club swims too I'm sure.

If you're not doing the swim with either club, I don't think there are any SF Bay rules or permissions required. I'll ask around at the club and see what I can find out. Having said that you will definitely want a pilot or two if you're doing it on your own to watch out for large ships and to wave off the smaller ones. I think there are various people you can pay to pilot you on these types of swims. Their swimmer/pilot ratios are usually much higher (and they're not cheap).

If you want to swim in the cove next time you're out here, let me know and maybe we can swim together (there is a small fee to use the Dolphin Club as a non-member/guest). It's plenty fun (much better than a pool) and a uniquely SF way to get your swimming in!

Midas
October 8th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I can only imagine. I've only seen the underside when out on the bay in a boat -- but actually being in the water and swimming under that beautiful thing, now that would be something to experience.

It's pretty awesome. I haven's swum across the golden gate yet, but I did swim under the bridge in a swim from Fort Point (from a beach on the ocean side of the Golden Gate Bridge) into Aquatic Park and just had to turn over and do some backstroke to really revel in what I was doing. Unfortuantely, it was a race so I couldn't dawdle for long but it was very cool looking up!

debaru
October 10th, 2010, 02:16 PM
If you want to swim in the cove next time you're out here, let me know and maybe we can swim together (there is a small fee to use the Dolphin Club as a non-member/guest). It's plenty fun (much better than a pool) and a uniquely SF way to get your swimming in!

Thanks for the info and the invite. :) I was in the Bay area back in July for the Catfish Crawl swim down in Morgan Hill, but I'm not sure when I'll be back. I'll definitely give you a shout the next time I'm in town. And, if you ever find yourself in the Phoenix area, I would be more than happy to return the favor. There are some great places here for open water swimming.

philoswimmer
October 10th, 2010, 02:20 PM
The water was about 59-60 degrees. That sounds cold, and is cold for sure, but is not as bad as you might fear. The trick is building up a tolerance for 2-3 hours at that temperature. I bet most people on this board could handle a one-way crossing in that water temp with no problems.

I'd agree with this. I just did an Alcatraz swim in those temps without a wetsuit or any open water training. It was cold, sure, but that was just motivation to keep moving. I'd love an event like this, but I am a long way from being able to swim 2-3 hrs (I'm sure I'd be closer to the 3, or more) in temps like that.