PDA

View Full Version : clockwise and counter clockwise swim,

scottsmith
October 14th, 2010, 01:30 PM
does anyone have a diagram? does you program do this?

couldbebetterfly
October 14th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I don't swim with a program now, but in the UK we always swam clockwise/counter clockwise. The 2 middle lanes would swim shallow-deep end either side of the central rope, so in our 6 lane pool, lane 3 would swim counter clockwise, lane 4 clockwise. Therefore lane 2 swims clockwise, lane 5 counter-clockwise, lane 1 counter clockwise and lane 6 clockwise.

Just an aside - I learnt to swim clockwise, being as we drive on the left I guess and so my flip turns rotate to match. Whenever I was in a counter-clockwise lane (although I usually managed to swim in lane 4) it would throw me for a few lengths until I got used to it! I've noticed that the program my daughter swims in all lanes swim counter-clockwise.

You get a lot less bruises on your arms swimming the alternate ways.

Is that clear as mud? :)

bambamclint
July 10th, 2011, 08:24 PM
In my opinion this is the proper way of circle swimming - injury is highly reduced and minimal. Its just hard to implement with a masters group - IT's change that people are not used to

Redbird Alum
July 11th, 2011, 02:44 PM
In my opinion this is the proper way of circle swimming - injury is highly reduced and minimal. Its just hard to implement with a masters group - IT's change that people are not used to

However, it's a good change if you ensure the swimmers spend time in both types of rotations.

Too many swimmers only ever circle one way, and habits die hard, especially in the longer events, when one starts to tire. I try to ensure that my age-groupers get to experience "alternate" circling to help them understand that getting in a rut can be a bad thing, unless it is good technique.